PDA

View Full Version : Where will we be in the Polls in the morning?

zag67
01-11-2015, 04:34 PM
With Duke, Louisville, and Wisconsin all losing, what place do you think we will be in. I will guess 3 or 4. But I do not know who will be ahead of us other than Kentucky, Virginia, and I think Duke.

Go Zags

MTZag03
01-11-2015, 05:12 PM
Who knows. I don't think we really deserve to go up though.

GonzagasaurusFlex
01-11-2015, 05:13 PM
With Duke, Louisville, and Wisconsin all losing, what place do you think we will be in. I will guess 3 or 4. But I do not know who will be ahead of us other than Kentucky, Virginia, and I think Duke.

Go Zags

Good question. Love our Zags and believe they are talented enough to beat any team in the country on a given day....but the fact they are breezing through the WCC thus far does not merit them being ranked higher than any of these teams that lost IMHO.

This year more than any other I fear the WCC schedule will ill prepare the Zags for the higher level competition in NCAA Tourney.

zag67
01-11-2015, 05:36 PM
I even have trouble putting Louisville below us with their two losses. They were to Kentucky and North Carolina. I think if they lose again and we keep winning, then we deserve it, but not yet. Just being in the same conversations are super.

I will agree with you Flex, that the WCC schedule will not totally prepare us. But if we keep attacking the way we do, then I think we will be fine. I do think that they need to have very intense practices (sometimes even with Refs). Playing against themselves would prepare them for playing against talented players. They need to play against zones, full court presses, and many other types of defenses. Look at our starting guards playing against McClellan, Triano, and Melson (and hopefully Perkins soon). Our bigs against Edwards, Nunez and Sabonis. And lastly our small forward against Conner Griffin and Dranginis. This is one year that I think our second team can prepare the starters against many defenses. You can create pressing teams with speed and many other types of defenses. Then second team playing against other groups of players to improve their play also.

CDC84
01-11-2015, 05:49 PM
The polls are about attrition. Gonzaga up to at least #5.

It'll be interesting where they rank Arizona if they beat Oregon State tonight. They could leapfrog GU based on the head to head matchup, although I have to say that Zona's loss at UNLV isn't looking a quality loss right now. The Rebs have lost 6 games and lost to a terrible Nevada team at home earlier this week.

UberZagFan
01-11-2015, 06:06 PM
The polls are about attrition. Gonzaga up to at least #5.
Yup. Wisconsin losing to Rutgers should drop them below GU but not the others.

caduceus
01-11-2015, 06:12 PM
The Zags have hopped both Duke and Wisconsin now on KenPom. Sitting pretty at #3 behind Kentucky and Virginia.

Thankfully, KenPom is only about performance and not about public opinion. Seems this team passes both the subjective and the objective test.

Larrylegend
01-11-2015, 07:33 PM
Shades of 2013. I want to see the Zags rise in the polls because of what they show on the court not because other teams are losing in much tougher conferences than the WCC. The WCC ill prepares GU for the Big Dance.

RenoZag
01-11-2015, 07:41 PM
The WCC ill prepares GU for the Big Dance.

Well, let's call up the poll voters and tell them to take the Zags down ten or 12 spots because of the conference.

ZagsGoZags
01-11-2015, 07:45 PM
I expect a jump of a couple of points, and I am glad for it. it doesn't mean I think we could beat Louisville
or Wisconsin 3 out of 5 times (but maybe we could).
But it is good press.
I was amazed the year after we were ranked one in the nation and bombed in the Dance, how much legs the #1 ranking had.
Opposing coaches and a few recruits kept mentioning it, and of course the sportscasters. Personally I felt it proved we didn't deserve the #1 ranking, but that top ranking kept walking the next year, and it still is.
It is good, cheap advertising, and maybe this year it will turn out to not be an unrealistic exaggeration. We used to get to the
Sweet 16 quite a bit. It didn't seem so amazing then.
Now it almost feels like Mt. Everest. But that's emotions, disappointment speaking. I don't want those stabs of big pain when we fall in the first round or round of 32. Objectively, Sweet 16 seems realistic and after that my hopes are on bended knee only. If we lose in Sweet 16 or Elite 8 or Final 4, it won't be as bad.
Even though beating UCLA isn't turning out to be a super achievement, it has helped me,
vengeance was ours, and it feels better now. ...
Because the polls usually love us in February it is a good thing.
When a potential recruit is talking zags to his buddies about the temptation to zag up, many of them will understand,
not because of NCAA performance, but because of polls and the love we get from most BB talking heads.
We get some built in help in the polls, and I'll take it.

But, like the rest of the nation, I know that ranked in the top five in the polls isn't crucial anymore. Five #1 rankings won't go as far as one Final Four. Our reputation, deserved or not, is chocking when it matters, and there is only one solution. It's not fair, but it is what it is. Heck, Fran Tarkington took his team to 3 superbowls, what a fabulous achievement. But his master status is a guy who couldn't finish, who couldn't win when it really counted, the great also-ran, the guy who couldn't raise the level of his play, ever.

So, yay for the polls, and I want more. But I know this year the national spotlight is only one one thing, the same way it was when we barely beat Southern and were going out on the court to face Wichita State.

gonzagafan62
01-11-2015, 07:50 PM
Louisville lost to North Carolina that's worse than our loss.

gonzagafan62
01-11-2015, 07:53 PM
The WCC ill prepares GU for the Big Dance.
I have a few things to say about this. VCU, George mason butler. How do u explain those than. Give me a break. Conference means nothing in March. Everyone starts 0-0 hen you're in

kitzbuel
01-11-2015, 07:55 PM
Yup. Wisconsin losing to Rutgers should drop them below GU but not the others.

I am not sure Wisconsin would be a top ten team without Kaminsky.

23dpg
01-11-2015, 08:15 PM
CBS Top 25 and 1 has Gonzaga at....

MBAGael
01-11-2015, 08:19 PM
I think number one would be great for you again. You would be able to say "gonzaga has been ranked number one in the country two times in the last three years". You just didn't get number one and fall off, you rebuilt. That is a powerful message of consistency at the highest level.

ZagaZags
01-11-2015, 08:22 PM
Last weeks poll.

1 Kentucky (64) 13-0 1,600
2 Duke 13-0 1,535
3 Virginia 13-0 1,446
4 Wisconsin 14-1 1,397
5 Louisville 13-1 1,322
6 Gonzaga 14-1 1,275
7 Arizona 13-1 1,260
8 Villanova 13-1 1,089
9 Utah 12-2 1,059
10 Texas 12-2 976
11 Maryland 14-1 966
12 Kansas 11-2 884
13 Notre Dame 14-1 775
14 West Virginia 13-1 712
15 Wichita St 12-2 686
16 Oklahoma 10-3 674
17 Iowa State 10-2 663
18 North Carolina 11-3 591
19 Seton Hall 12-2 448
20 Virginia Commonwealth 11-3 311
21 Baylor 11-2 186
22 Ohio State 12-3 184
23 Arkansas 11-2 103
24 St. John's 11-3 92
25 Old Dominion 12-1 80

I think this is going to be a magical season. http://images.neopets.com/games/clicktoplay/ctp_982.gif

cggonzaga
01-11-2015, 08:38 PM
Good Lord! This is a GU fan site is it not? What's with all the pessimism? We should be no. 3 tomorrow. I'm not so sure we shouldn't be 1 or 2. Call me a homer but I haven't seen 1 or 2 better teams than us this year. Kentucky will lose when they play a team that can play offense. Duke and Wisconsin are a tad overrated and it cracks me up that Louisville is even in the conversation. Nobody is better offensively than us in the country. Duke is the only one even close. Yes the top 5 is littered with great defensive teams but we're not to shabby on that end either. Most importantly, I don't even believe we've played our best ball yet. Non believers, keep thinking the power 6 is all you're cracking them up to be. This is finally our year!

jim77
01-11-2015, 08:42 PM
Good Lord! This is a GU fan site is it not? What's with all the pessimism? We should be no. 3 tomorrow. I'm not so sure we shouldn't be 1 or 2. Call me a homer but I haven't seen 1 or 2 better teams than us this year. Kentucky will lose when they play a team that can play offense. Duke and Wisconsin are a tad overrated and it cracks me up that Louisville is even in the conversation. Nobody is better offensively than us in the country. Duke is the only one even close. Yes the top 5 is littered with great defensive teams but we're not to shabby on that end either. Most importantly, I don't even believe we've played our best ball yet. Non believers, keep thinking the power 6 is all you're cracking them up to be. This is finally our year!

I like it.....#3...wait till KY gets ARK at home.

kitzbuel
01-11-2015, 08:46 PM
I can see Wisconsin dropping below GU.

Louisville could be interesting, the Wildcats losing might hurt us.

I think it could be a toss up between GU and Duke for 4.

SteelZag
01-11-2015, 08:49 PM

Due to unbalanced schedule, UK and Arkansas only play once this season. @Kentucky. :argh:

U Zig, I Zag
01-11-2015, 09:19 PM
It'll be
UK
UVA
Duke
GU
Nova

UNC goes to at least 11. If not top 10.

ZagMan in Philly
01-11-2015, 09:20 PM
And UVA at Georgetown next Monday.

caduceus
01-11-2015, 09:25 PM
Fifteen AP Top-25 teams lost this week (and 5 in the Top-10):

2 Duke
4 Wisconsin
5 Louisville
7 Arizona
10 Texas
11 Maryland
13 Notre Dame
14 West Virginia
16 Oklahoma
18 North Carolina
19 Seton Hall
21 Baylor
22 Ohio State
24 St. Johns
25 Old Dominion

Reborn
01-11-2015, 09:48 PM
I'm not sure who said it, but it's so true, "Just keep winning, Baby!" One game at a time. We sure have some flaky GUfans on this forum. Good God!!!
I'm ecstatic. I love to see ALL of those teams lose. You wonder how we will make it to the Final 4 and maybe beyond? Watch. It's all being played out week by week. Some of you are just so ??? that you can't even see a good team when it's right in front of you. Some of you need to watch more basketball. The teams this year are not all THAT GREAT. So few can play as a team. That's the key for GU.

Go Zags!!!
ONe game at a time!

ps if you want you can blame it on the bunnies

TheZagPhish
01-11-2015, 10:08 PM
Fifteen AP Top-25 teams lost this week (and 5 in the Top-10):

2 Duke
4 Wisconsin
5 Louisville
7 Arizona
10 Texas
11 Maryland
13 Notre Dame
14 West Virginia
16 Oklahoma
18 North Carolina
19 Seton Hall
21 Baylor
22 Ohio State
24 St. Johns
25 Old Dominion

Wow.

ZagaZags
01-11-2015, 10:27 PM
I'm not sure who said it, but it's so true, "Just keep winning, Baby!" One game at a time. We sure have some flaky GUfans on this forum. Good God!!!
I'm ecstatic. I love to see ALL of those teams lose. You wonder how we will make it to the Final 4 and maybe beyond? Watch. It's all being played out week by week. Some of you are just so ??? that you can't even see a good team when it's right in front of you. Some of you need to watch more basketball. The teams this year are not all THAT GREAT. So few can play as a team. That's the key for GU.

Go Zags!!!
ONe game at a time!

ps if you want you can blame it on the bunnies

Al Davis was the one who said....

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/10/ae/09/10ae0958d2d473b36129aee0b8de14bc.jpg

webspinnre
01-11-2015, 10:42 PM
Think he's combining Dory with Al Davis. Dory Davis anyone?

GonzagasaurusFlex
01-11-2015, 11:22 PM
Call me a homer but I haven't seen 1 or 2 better teams than us this year.!

Homer.

cggonzaga
01-11-2015, 11:31 PM
Now call me daddy.

DixieZag
01-11-2015, 11:31 PM
I was torn between cheering for AZ b/c our "tie" there looks worse now that they got beat. But it also keeps the road clearer to a possible one seed in the west.

The other thing I really want is for Kentucky to win through to the NCAAs. If we get Kentucky at some point in the tourney, I want them undefeated. I want all that weight on those freshman shoulders.

Malastein
01-12-2015, 02:45 AM
It doesn't really matter one way or the other to be honest. But, for some fans to think this team is not a top 5 team seems silly given how they've performed thus far. A close loss on the road against a good Arizona team while adjusting to not having a proper back up point is completely understandable. Melson is looking better and better though, and there's definitely the possibility that McClellan or Perkins join the team and propel it to a greater level.

Zagger
01-12-2015, 03:11 AM
I think it will be Kentucky, Virginia, Duke, Zags ...... #4 on way to #1 ....... http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Bogozags
01-12-2015, 03:11 AM
USA TODAY

1. UK (32)
2. UVA
3. Duke
4. GU
5. Wisconsin
6. Villanova
7. UL
8. Utah
9. KU
10. AZ

AP

1. UK (64)
2. UVA
3. Duke
4. GU
5. Wisconsin
6. Villanova
7. UL
8. Utah
9. KU
10. AZ

(*) First Place Votes

I believe there are three tiers of teams in the top ten:

Tier 1 UK
Tier 2 Duke, UVA, Wisconsin
Tier 3 UL, GU, AZ, Nova, Utah and KU

Regardless of how many close games UK has, there are imo the best team in the country…they may not be able to score points BUT they prevent you from scoring, which is pretty important.

Duke, UVA and Wisconsin are all very strong teams and they play pretty good defense day in and day out BUT they just don’t have the depth that UK has, which makes me believe they would come out on the short end of the stick.

UL, GU, AZ, Nova, Utah and KU are all strong teams and on any given night, any one of these teams could beat a Tier 2 team BUT again IMO, don’t think they could consistently on a neutral court. Mind you, UL lost by eight to UK AT HOME!!! On a neutral court it could easily have been double digits. These five teams are pretty evenly matched and on a neutral court, GU can beat all of them…if the stars are aligned…I ranked them in the order I honestly thought they should be on who these teams have played. I think UL will lose at least two more games; AZ two more as well and HOPEFULLY none at home; Nova should lose two more on the road; Utah should lose two more as well; but KU will lose three more, with one coming at home BUT they will once again win their conference…GU has one more very tough road game…USF…watched them play UOP and they were a much different team…just seem them being extremely tough at home and this will be a very tough game to win; hopefully, we win and enter Selection Sunday with only one loss and receive a high two seed and maybe a one seed…

I don’t have any supporting proof/evidence but rather a very strong feeling in my “gut,” which has worked well for me in the past…

zag67
01-12-2015, 04:47 AM
Just keep winning baby. I like that. I also am glad that we lost to Arizona. If we win out then we do not have that undefeated pressure each time we play. I also agree with Bozos tiers of teams. But when McClellan and Perkins get their, we may even be in the 2nd group. I know that this is a year that I enjoy every game so far and love our defense, and the number of assists we have. And the assists are not from one player. The team has really bought into playing unselfishly and getting the ball to a player that has better shots. Also I really loved seeing the team and coaches, get the ball to Shem so he could have some big games with his parents watching. That shows class.

LongIslandZagFan
01-12-2015, 05:11 AM
4 maybe 5 just on east coast bias. Wiscy loss to Rutgers was a bad loss. UNC beating Louisville isn't as bad for that reason it may not impact them as much.

kitzbuel
01-12-2015, 06:31 AM
USA TODAY

1. UK (32)
2. UVA
3. Duke
4. GU
5. Wisconsin
6. Villanova
8. Utah
9. KU
10. AZ

So you are saying coaches are just dumb jocks and they can't count? :D

Missed #7. I am betting you meant to put Louisville there. :)

thespywhozaggedme
01-12-2015, 06:41 AM
Wisconsin just lost at Rutgers; Rutgers! You're seriously overrating them.
USA TODAY

1. UK (32)
2. UVA
3. Duke
4. GU
5. Wisconsin
6. Villanova
8. Utah
9. KU
10. AZ

AP

1. UK (64)
2. UVA
3. Duke
4. GU
5. Wisconsin
6. Villanova
7. UL
8. Utah
9. KU
10. AZ

(*) First Place Votes

I believe there are three tiers of teams in the top ten:

Tier 1 UK
Tier 2 Duke, UVA, Wisconsin
Tier 3 UL, GU, AZ, Nova, Utah and KU

Regardless of how many close games UK has, there are imo the best team in the country…they may not be able to score points BUT they prevent you from scoring, which is pretty important.

Duke, UVA and Wisconsin are all very strong teams and they play pretty good defense day in and day out BUT they just don’t have the depth that UK has, which makes me believe they would come out on the short end of the stick.

UL, GU, AZ, Nova, Utah and KU are all strong teams and on any given night, any one of these teams could beat a Tier 2 team BUT again IMO, don’t think they could consistently on a neutral court. Mind you, UL lost by eight to UK AT HOME!!! On a neutral court it could easily have been double digits. These five teams are pretty evenly matched and on a neutral court, GU can beat all of them…if the stars are aligned…I ranked them in the order I honestly thought they should be on who these teams have played. I think UL will lose at least two more games; AZ two more as well and HOPEFULLY none at home; Nova should lose two more on the road; Utah should lose two more as well; but KU will lose three more, with one coming at home BUT they will once again win their conference…GU has one more very tough road game…USF…watched them play UOP and they were a much different team…just seem them being extremely tough at home and this will be a very tough game to win; hopefully, we win and enter Selection Sunday with only one loss and receive a high two seed and maybe a one seed…

I don’t have any supporting proof/evidence but rather a very strong feeling in my “gut,” which has worked well for me in the past…

B Wayne
01-12-2015, 06:48 AM
Some posters noted we should at least jump past Wisconsin. I don't know if they are familiar with the team. Wisconsin has a POY candidate named Frank Kaminsky who hours before the game was announced as not playing because of a concussion. Point guard Treason Jackson also did not play because of a foot injury.

TheGonzagaFactor
01-12-2015, 06:52 AM
We should be 4th. Duke had that road win over Wisconsin and shouldn't drop below us. Kentucky, UVA, Duke, Zags.

TheGonzagaFactor
01-12-2015, 06:55 AM
Some posters noted we should at least jump past Wisconsin. I don't know if they are familiar with the team. Wisconsin has a POY candidate named Frank Kaminsky who hours before the game was announced as not playing because of a concussion. Point guard Treason Jackson also did not play because of a foot injury.

Exactly. That's like us not having Bell and Wiltjer/Karno on the road. I think we should jump over them, but Wisconsin is a legit.

titopoet
01-12-2015, 07:23 AM

Go Zags

That is two different questions. I think they do move into 3 as that is the history of the polls. I also think they deserve to be #3. They are a blown call and a Wiltjer missed 3 from being undefeated. They already move into #3 on the stats site Kenpom. http://kenpom.com/

GU is that good, and many of us suffer from reading the criticism of GU over the years. Kentucky is the best team, and then there is a group of four teams of next tier teams. The Zags are in that group. I answer that the polls will say GU is #3 and I agree with polls.

titopoet
01-12-2015, 07:34 AM

Yes, the buzzcuts are legit, but so are the Zags. Frank Kaminsky is a match problem for GU (as he is for most teams), but at the same vein, Karno is a matchup problem for the buzzcuts. Kaminsky had trouble with Dakari Johnson last year, and Karno is as strong as Dakari and far more skilled. Could Kaminsky stop Karno? GU still presents the same challenges they do to other teams. If the offense is going through Karno, how do you stop them? Switches and doubles can limit Kaminsky on the outside, but they you have to ask Kaminsky to stop Karno consistently on the post means a tired Frank during the late stages of the game. I take Zags on a neutral court over a very good Buzzcuts team.

gonzagafan62
01-12-2015, 07:35 AM

That's really not our problem. Teams jump other teams all the time for winning and the other team losing without some players. St. John's lost one of their players for the rest of the season, but you don't see anyone crying or keeping them high in the polls or being sympathetic for them.

Losing is losing.

AK457
01-12-2015, 07:45 AM
Our schedule games the ranking system so hard that it's more likely than not we get a #1 ranking by the end of the year. All it is is a contest to see who loses first, us or Kentucky, and we have the easier schedule.

krozman
01-12-2015, 07:46 AM
Losing is losing, but so is winning....in the WCC.

TheGonzagaFactor
01-12-2015, 07:54 AM
Our schedule games the ranking system so hard that it's more likely than not we get a #1 ranking by the end of the year. All it is is a contest to see who loses first, us or Kentucky, and we have the easier schedule.

Given that Kentucky has already beaten 3 teams ranked in the top 10 at the time of the game, along with a couple more ranked opponents... They should be allowed 2 losses before losing the #1 spot. I don't know how the pollsters will see it, but I don't think we should leapfrog them until loss number 3.

Bogozags
01-12-2015, 07:57 AM
So you are saying coaches are just dumb jocks and they can't count? :D

Missed #7. I am betting you meant to put Louisville there. :)

Yes, I intended to put UL in seventh and it seems like you ARE the sharpest pencil in the box! You get the prize...one free taco with a medium glass of kool aid...:clap:

jazzdelmar
01-12-2015, 07:58 AM
It seems to me that UK, Dook and UVa are clearly the best 3 teams.....they would have to destruct quite a bit more to lose that billing. After that, all bets are off and I suppose the Zags are as good a guess as any for #4.....though Wisky w/o Kammo and their pt guard should not be hurt badly.

AK457
01-12-2015, 07:59 AM
Given that Kentucky has already beaten 3 teams ranked in the top 10 at the time of the game, along with a couple more ranked opponents... They should be allowed 2 losses before losing the #1 spot. I don't know how the pollsters will see it, but I don't think we should leapfrog them until loss number 3.

I totally agree but it really seems like there's a knee-jerk reaction from pollsters that a loss requires a drop in the rankings. It's a bit apples vs. oranges, but if I remember right, the UConn women's team had won like 90 games in a row, then lost one and suddenly wasn't the #1 ranked team. #VARIANCE #PROBABILITY #RANKINGS /s

Bogozags
01-12-2015, 08:02 AM
Wisconsin is disciplined, highly skilled team and I've not overlooked them...I put them fifth only because they do have TWO loses...imo they win the B10 conference and tournament for a #1 seed in the dance...if they stay healthy that is...

kitzbuel
01-12-2015, 08:05 AM
Exactly. That's like us not having Bell and Wiltjer/Karno on the road. I think we should jump over them, but Wisconsin is a legit.

It's like not having Bell and Karno at Cal Poly. I think the Zags still win that.

gonzagafan62
01-12-2015, 08:11 AM
It's like not having Bell and Karno at Cal Poly. I think the Zags still win that.

We had Bell AND Dower out for some games last year and still won. That was a big portion of our team.

DixieZag
01-12-2015, 08:26 AM

100% agree. Kentucky should have to lose 2 before they drop that top spot. They've earned it.

Moreover, as I said once before, I hope they go through undefeated into the tournament. I want those frosh to be carrying all that weight on their shoulders if they start getting worried late in a game.