Memphis @ Houston

Cal @ UCLA

Arizona @ Oregon St.

sittingon50
01-11-2015, 10:51 AM
SMU up 4 @ the half.

23dpg
01-11-2015, 11:16 AM
Duke down 14 with under 7 minutes left in the game.

john montana
01-11-2015, 11:22 AM
Nc state playing a perfect game. Doubling at the exact right times, and shooting the lights out.

SteelZag
01-11-2015, 11:28 AM
NC State goes into "prevent" mode a little too early. Now they can't score when they need to. Hopefully they can get their mojo back.

seacatfan
01-11-2015, 11:33 AM
NC State goes into "prevent" mode a little too early. Now they can't score when they need to. Hopefully they can get their mojo back.

Where have I seen complaints about that before?...

Zags_Fanatic
01-11-2015, 11:50 AM
Great win by NC State. Every loss for Top 10 teams should help come seeding time.

SteelZag
01-11-2015, 11:52 AM
Duke goes down. Duke has to visit Louisville, St. Johns, Notre Dame and Virginia in the next few weeks. I guess it is hard to win on the road.

mtzaga
01-11-2015, 12:11 PM
Pack 26 Cowboys 21

SteelZag
01-11-2015, 12:19 PM
1990 LMU vs. LSU classic game airing on SEC network at 7:00 PM. LSU victorious 148-141 in OT.

jazzdelmar
01-11-2015, 12:24 PM
Pack 26 Cowboys 21

Most arrogant player over most arrogant team. Go Hawks.

hondo
01-11-2015, 12:49 PM
Duke goes down. Duke has to visit Louisville, St. Johns, Notre Dame and Virginia in the next few weeks. I guess it is hard to win on the road.
It is hard to win on the road and that is why once a team is established they very seldom wander out on the road. Duke had played 15 pre conference games and only 1 of those was on the opponent's home floor. Our Zags had only 2 pre conference games on the opponents court. Even St Marys and the Huskies play this game. It's the RPI game and it does not prepare a team for league play nor is it good for college basketball. The rating formula needs to change to reward teams that have the guts to go to very dangerous places.

sittingon50
01-11-2015, 01:06 PM
Memphis up 6 @ half.

jim77
01-11-2015, 01:16 PM
As George Jefferson would say: "just moving ooon up" ......in the rankings anyway.

MDABE80
01-11-2015, 01:20 PM
I wonder how WE would do facing that schedule??? And people wonder why our efforts in the WCC are quite up to what others face???!!!

seacatfan
01-11-2015, 01:52 PM
It is hard to win on the road and that is why once a team is established they very seldom wander out on the road. Duke had played 15 pre conference games and only 1 of those was on the opponent's home floor. Our Zags had only 2 pre conference games on the opponents court. Even St Marys and the Huskies play this game. It's the RPI game and it does not prepare a team for league play nor is it good for college basketball. The rating formula needs to change to reward teams that have the guts to go to very dangerous places.

And Duke's only true road game in OOC was set up by ESPN for the ACC-Big 10 Challenge. They had a few neutral site games, surprisingly none of them were at MSG, their home away from home. I strongly dislike Duke, I'm always happy to see them lose. The countdown to 1,000 wins for K is delayed slightly (that is phenomenal I have to admit, regardless of my dislike for him).

sittingon50
01-11-2015, 02:01 PM
Memphis wins by 18.

john montana
01-11-2015, 02:50 PM
By the end of the season duke's "road" schedule will make ours look like easy street. Would you rather play San Diego on the road, or Louisville? To some degree I get these big programs avoiding true road games due to their murderous conference schedule...but I wish many of them would at least play some better competition at neutral sites.

Smc is allergic to neutral and road games.

caduceus
01-11-2015, 03:00 PM
To date, the Zags are 16-1 with a SOS of #30. Duke is 14-1 with a SOS of #74 (KenPom numbers).

#5 Zags are a hair's breadth from jumping #4 Duke in the KenPom ratings (Pyth .9532 vs. .9539), and very close to #3 Wisconsin (.9573).

Edit: Badgers are up 10 on Rutgers early in 2nd half.

23dpg
01-11-2015, 03:39 PM
Rutgers up 5 with 4 to go

ZagaZags
01-11-2015, 03:43 PM
#4 Wisconsin 53

Rutgers 58
3:36 to go. Game is on BTN.

ZagaZags
01-11-2015, 03:45 PM
Wisconsin 53 Rutgers 60 2:57 to go.

caduceus
01-11-2015, 03:49 PM
NFL - Broncos fall to the Colts, 24-13.

ZagaZags
01-11-2015, 03:49 PM
#4 Wisconsin 57 Rutgers 62 1:15 to go.

ZagaZags
01-11-2015, 03:52 PM
Wisconsin 62 Rutgers 64 :24 to go.

ZagaZags
01-11-2015, 03:55 PM
Down goes #4 Wisconsin, Rutgers wins 67-62.

caduceus
01-11-2015, 03:55 PM
Wow, Duke and Wisc go down in the same day. Polls will get VERY interesting tomorrow! GoZags!

P.S. That's a bad loss for the Badgers vs. a 10-7 Rutgers team (#177 KenPom, #86 RPI).

jazzdelmar
01-11-2015, 03:57 PM
Kaminsky didn't play

gonstu
01-11-2015, 03:58 PM
Zags ranked #4 tomorrow? Jump Wisconsin and Louisville? I can't see jumping duke even with their loss. What say you zag nation?

ZagaZags
01-11-2015, 04:00 PM
#2 Duke 75 NC State 87
#5 Louisville 71 #18 North Carolina 72
#4 Wisconsin 62 Rutgers 67

The Zags could be 3-5 tomorrow.

23dpg
01-11-2015, 04:02 PM
I think the Zags should be ranked 4. But I think one of the polls will have them at 3.
Nothing more than a beauty contest though.
Zags just need to keep sawing wood. Play each game and don't worry about where you're ranked or seeded.

NumberCruncher
01-11-2015, 04:03 PM
Rutgers? WOW! Pomeroy has 7 WCC teams better than Rutgers.

VaBeachZAG
01-11-2015, 04:04 PM
Zags ranked #4 tomorrow? Jump Wisconsin and Louisville? I can't see jumping duke even with their loss. What say you zag nation?

AP Ranking

1. KY

2. VA

3. Duke

4. Zags

5. Take your pick: Arizona, Louisville, Wisc. (probably in that order)

Not inconceivable that Arizona jumps the Zags in the AP to take the #4 spot.

ZagaZags
01-11-2015, 04:07 PM
#7 Arizona at Oregon State 7pm. Game will be on Fox Sports 1.

seacatfan
01-11-2015, 04:07 PM
Rutgers outscored Wisconsin by 17 in the 2nd half. The Badgers were missing 2 starters apparently. Still shocking loss, especially considering they were up by double figures at halftime.

seacatfan
01-11-2015, 04:09 PM
NFL - Broncos fall to the Colts, 24-13.

Peyton Manning has had a fantastic career overall, but I think at this point it's fairly safe to say he's been somewhat of a choker in the playoffs. Among the all time greats during the regular season, but in the post season he's not even in the conversation.

DixieZag
01-11-2015, 04:31 PM
Rutgers? WOW! Pomeroy has 7 WCC teams better than Rutgers.

Almost mitigates the "not having Kaminsky" factor when it'll come to seeding, maybe.

We all know a loss without an All-American like Kaminsky almost doesn't count to the committee, except for maybe a team that far down.

23dpg
01-11-2015, 04:45 PM
Ucla up 11 on Cal early in the second half.

Battle of the Dumpster Fires!

Larrylegend
01-11-2015, 06:02 PM
I want to see the Zags rise in the polls because of what they show on the court not because other teams are losing in much tougher conferences than the WCC. As many have stated, I fear the WCC ill prepares GU for the Big Dance.

Zagdawg
01-11-2015, 06:18 PM
UCLA beats Cal.

seacatfan
01-11-2015, 06:48 PM
Arizona 21 OSU 20 just before halftime. Every bit as ugly as it sounds.

maynard g krebs
01-11-2015, 07:26 PM
Ten first half ft attempts for UA, zero for OS.

RenoZag
01-11-2015, 07:31 PM
AZ - 46
OSU - 44

6:21 to play

rawkmandale
01-11-2015, 07:57 PM
Oregon State looks legit under Coach Wayne Tinkle.

23dpg
01-11-2015, 08:05 PM
Wow

Beavers win!

rawkmandale
01-11-2015, 08:05 PM
Arizona goes down 58-56

kitzbuel
01-11-2015, 08:06 PM
So UA won't be jumping GU in the polls tomorrow.

thespywhozaggedme
Down go the kitties!!

zagirl2k
USC lost to Stanford 78-76, turned it over down one with the ball under 10 seconds. Too bad we have their senior guard that would probably have scored on that possession. :roll:

ZagaZags
01-11-2015, 08:08 PM
Down go the kitties!!

There goes our RPI. ;)

:jk:

kitzbuel
01-11-2015, 08:10 PM
USC lost to Stanford 78-76, turned it over down one with the ball under 10 seconds. Too bad we have their senior guard that would probably have scored on that possession. :roll:

Ha ha!

CDC84
01-11-2015, 08:14 PM
Amazing to think that Arizona allowed 50%+ shooting to a team that is ranked 183rd in offensive efficiency.

I am not saying it's an excuse, but I really hate how the Pac 12 sets up some of these road trips where you play Thursday and then have to wait until Sunday night to play your next game. Too long of a gap between games on the road. I'd hate that. Hard to keep your mental focus.

Zagdawg
01-11-2015, 08:28 PM
Seacatfan--- I did not watch the game----what happened to your boys----was someone injured/sick?

Zags_Fanatic
01-11-2015, 08:48 PM
Good for coach Tinkle, once his son and the vaunted 2015 recruiting class come in next year Oregon State could challenge for top-3 in the Pac-12.

sittingon50
01-11-2015, 09:31 PM
There goes our RPI. ;)

:jk:

Zags jump to #3 @ KenPom, behind the 2 remaining unbeatens.

Hoopaholic
01-12-2015, 06:53 AM
Amazing to think that Arizona allowed 50%+ shooting to a team that is ranked 183rd in offensive efficiency.

I am not saying it's an excuse, but I really hate how the Pac 12 sets up some of these road trips where you play Thursday and then have to wait until Sunday night to play your next game. Too long of a gap between games on the road. I'd hate that. Hard to keep your mental focus.

dont both teams have the same time off......so wouldnt it be just as hard to keep mental focus.......i enjoy it as gives some good basketball to watch on sundays and gives teams extraday of preparation

DixieZag
01-12-2015, 08:29 AM
Seacatfan--- I did not watch the game----what happened to your boys----was someone injured/sick?

I'm not the expert seacatfan is but I watched the game and it looked to me like OSU just played very well. It didn't look like AZ handed it to them.

kitzbuel
01-12-2015, 08:32 AM
dont both teams have the same time off......so wouldnt it be just as hard to keep mental focus.......i enjoy it as gives some good basketball to watch on sundays and gives teams extraday of preparation

I probably wouldn't watch PAC-12 bball if it wasn't on Sunday nights now that there is no NFL. They have a good time slot.

seacatfan
01-12-2015, 10:15 AM

Ugh. No one injured, can't use that excuse. Just played badly. Gotta give some credit to OSU. They played an aggressive 2-3 zone that had Arizona all kinds of out of synch most of the game. The Beavers made some clutch plays down the stretch. Arizona's defense didn't look particularly good. Gave up way too many dribble drives all the way to the rim. Zeus was terrible, 0 rebounds, missed several bunnies, he has hands of stone. He's regressing, he was much better last year. Ashley looks checked out mentally. Stanley Johnson isn't quite living up to the press clippings. TJ McConnell and Rondae Hollis-Jefferson played fairly well, but they didn't get much help. Not much from the bench. Terrible perimeter shooting overall. I think that about covers it. Full on meltdown mode on Arizona's Scout message board.

gonzagafan62
01-12-2015, 10:24 AM
Ugh. No one injured, can't use that excuse. Just played badly. Gotta give some credit to OSU. They played an aggressive 2-3 zone that had Arizona all kinds of out of synch most of the game. The Beavers made some clutch plays down the stretch. Arizona's defense didn't look particularly good. Gave up way too many dribble drives all the way to the rim. Zeus was terrible, 0 rebounds, missed several bunnies, he has hands of stone. He's regressing, he was much better last year. Ashley looks checked out mentally. Stanley Johnson isn't quite living up to the press clippings. TJ McConnell and Rondae Hollis-Jefferson played fairly well, but they didn't get much help. Not much from the bench. Terrible perimeter shooting overall. I think that about covers it. Full on meltdown mode on Arizona's Scout message board.

Hearing a lot of hype surrounding Payton too. How did he do?

seacatfan
01-12-2015, 10:40 AM
Hearing a lot of hype surrounding Payton too. How did he do?

Payton is a blue collar guy, doesn't do anything eye popping, but he's solid and a stat sheet stuffer. Averaging a ton of rebound for a 6-3 guard, had 9 last night to go with 10 points. Not of the same caliber as his dad, but maybe he'll possibly get a shot at the NBA? I think he's a good defender, but not as disruptive as The Glove. Not nearly the scorer his dad was his last couple of years at OSU (well over 20 ppg and National POY as a Sr. IIRC).

DixieZag
01-12-2015, 01:26 PM

Well, again, from a non-biased observer it looked to me more like OSU just played very well much more so than AZ playing bad.

sittingon50
01-12-2015, 01:37 PM
Hat's off to Coach Tinkle. The cupboard was supposedly bare.

SteelZag
01-12-2015, 02:07 PM
Well, again, from a non-biased observer it looked to me more like OSU just played very well much more so than AZ playing bad.

I just caught the end of the UA game but have watched OSU on a couple of other occasions and they looked pretty good. NO seniors and a great recruiting class should make a very formative team next year.

seacatfan
01-12-2015, 02:46 PM
No doubt Tinkle is doing an excellent job, exceeding any kind of reasonable expectations OSU could've had based on who was returning. They should be really interesting to watch going forward the next several years as he gets a chance to restock the roster.

In terms of how much was it OSU playing well or Arizona not playing well, it's kinda like if GU drops a road game to Portland or USF or something in conference. Some fans will look at it as more of one, some as more of the other. It was certainly a disappointing and unexpected loss for UA. I can say without a doubt that some of the Wildcats did not play a good game. 3 starters were well below their scoring average, and the other 2 weren't far enough above their average to even come close to offsetting it. Plus they got very little bench production. They were nearly 20 points below their team scoring average. Also you couldn't possibly have watched any of the 1st half and thought UA was playing well (21 points, 26% FG shooting). Also OSU won the rebounding battle and seemed to get most of the 50/50 balls. It was fairly clear one team was playing with more energy than the other. UA had 10 more FT attempts, didn't capitalize on that.

seacatfan
01-12-2015, 02:58 PM
Sorry, but now that I'm venting it's hard to stop. Arizona's starting C and PF played 23 and 29 minutes, collectively went 3-11 from the floor and scored 9 points, and had 3 REBOUNDS. And all of those were from the PF. 7-0 250 lb. C Tarczewski had ZERO rebounds in more than 20 minutes. Those two were terrible last night, you can't seriously think otherwise. That's 2/5 of the starters. Stanley Johnson wasn't very good either. When 3/5 of your starters have a bad game, it's safe to say the team is gonna have a bad game. OSU did what they did, but UA did not play well. As stated earlier the 2-3 zone OSU threw at them certainly played a big role in that.

Zagdawg
01-12-2015, 03:25 PM
We will need to study this 2-3 zone thing you speak of-- in case we run into Arizona again. ;)

maynard g krebs
01-12-2015, 03:28 PM
Sorry, but now that I'm venting it's hard to stop. Arizona's starting C and PF played 23 and 29 minutes, collectively went 3-11 from the floor and scored 9 points, and had 3 REBOUNDS. And all of those were from the PF. 7-0 250 lb. C Tarczewski had ZERO rebounds in more than 20 minutes. Those two were terrible last night, you can't seriously think otherwise. That's 2/5 of the starters. Stanley Johnson wasn't very good either. When 3/5 of your starters have a bad game, it's safe to say the team is gonna have a bad game. OSU did what they did, but UA did not play well. As stated earlier the 2-3 zone OSU threw at them certainly played a big role in that.

Looking to me like Miller is a great recruiter but very poor in terms of development of bigs. Tarczewski and Ashley were both top 10 prospects coming out of hs, and both look big and athletic, but far short of the skill level of the less athletic Zag bigs.

seacatfan
01-12-2015, 03:48 PM
Looking to me like Miller is a great recruiter but very poor in terms of development of bigs. Tarczewski and Ashley were both top 10 prospects coming out of hs, and both look big and athletic, but far short of the skill level of the less athletic Zag bigs.

They both seem to be regressing this year. It's frustrating. With Ashley it seems to be more about intensity and effort level. Tarczewski LOOKS like he should be good, but he's just way too methodical and mechanical. He can run in a straight line fairly well and he's got decent vert (his one FG last night was a fairly impressive ally oop), but he can't move horizontally very well. And his hands are just terrible. He can't catch the ball cleanly most of the time, and even if he does he'll probably get stripped, and if he doesn't get stripped there's a decent chance he'll miss a bunny or he'll get blocked. For a 7-0 dude that looks like a physical specimen, he plays really small most of the time. He's supposed to be a good defender, but mostly only against big centers. Most teams have smaller players at the 5 and he can't move to keep in front of them. At this point I'd rather move on and see more of 7-0 freshman Ristic who is much smoother and has much more of a feel for the game, but is working on getting up to speed defensively. Maybe Calipari has the right idea, kick all the freshmen out the door after a year before anybody can blame you for them not developing. Or something stupid like that.

seacatfan
01-12-2015, 03:53 PM
We will need to study this 2-3 zone thing you speak of-- in case we run into Arizona again. ;)

We joke about that on the Arizona board. Hard to understand why every opponent doesn't zone the Cats, at least until they knock down a couple jumpers (which may or may not happen in any given game). I'm not an expert on zone D's, but Oregon St.'s appeared to be quite active. Somehow they were clogging the lane while extending to shooters at the same time. UA wasn't swinging the ball around or moving without the ball enough, but there didn't seem to be much open space to work with. The commentator said a few times it appeared OSU had more than 5 defenders on the court. Anyway not all zones are created equal, OSU's seemed to be better than average. I don't think it was just last night either, I think they've been fairly stingy on defense all year.

seacatfan
01-12-2015, 04:46 PM
This just dawned on me: Tarczewski reminds me a bit of Sacre, although Big Rob was better. Both are strong, mobile 7 footers (Rob much better lateral quickness and movement). Both surprisingly poor rebounders for their size. Both with questionable hands, both with a really annoying habit of bringing the ball down low where guards can strip it. Both effectively played smaller than their actual size on offense. Both were far from a sure thing scoring when they got the ball in the low block. Neither throws down dunks as often as fans would like to see. Both frustrate me quite a bit. Fair comparison?