PDA

View Full Version : Moving Forward

Reborn
01-11-2015, 06:43 AM
The Zags are 5-0 and standing tall on top of the WCC. Mt Karno has established himself as a force in the middle, not only because of his ability to score, but even more I believe, because of his skill to pass to the open shooters. And he is certainly surrounded by Ninja shooters. The newest member of this stable of shooters is Silas Melson, who is now getting the kind of playing time that is helping him get comfortable on the court so he can unleash his game. Slowly the Zags have been assimilating his game into the overall scheme of what Mark Few designs from game to game. The Zags have four solid scores who are averaging double figures. This core of players is led by Kyle Wiltjer, who's averaging 16+ ppg. He is followed by Kevin Pangos at 12.5 per game and then Wesley and then Mt Karno at 11.5 ppg. Any team that has four players scoring in double figures is going to be a very good offensive team.

Kevin Pangos has been the leader of this team and has played great so far this year. He is one heck of a point guard. He's mostly been a distributor, but when more scoring is needed he has certainly stepped up every time this year. His shooting on the Road has improved immensely this year. Poor shooting on the road has been the part of his game that has been most criticized. He should have silenced the doubters, but he has not completely. I believe that by the end of the campaign through the conference he will have done so. Wesley seems to play a lot like Kevin. He's content being a distributor too, but when scoring is needed he steps up big time.

This leads me to Gary Bell, Dranginis and Sabonis. These three players are the symbol of our toughness. Gary consistently playing the role of the defensive stopper, and Kyle D. is close behind. Kyle and Sabonis pound the boards relentlessly, and are as tough as any player around imo. And I must add that Silas Melson can also play D. He has great quickness and shows that he can defend quick point guards. And there are many in the WCC. These three guys can also score and every team must pay close attention to them. IMO there is on weakness offensively on this team.

The Zags go on the road again, and will next play one of the hottest teams in the conference, Pepperdine. As should be the case, our toughtest games so far have been on the road, and they have been against the toughest teams in our conference, accept for St. Mary's. I am glad the Zags have a week to prepare for Pepperdine because this will be a very, very tough game. The Zags are going to have to play in a higher gear then they played in last week. But they can, and will,l do just that. The key will be to NOT take them lightly. They must understand that Pepperdine can beat them if they are not prepared for the battle. As I have repeatedly said, Gonzaga has had great games on the road this year to prepare the team to go into places like Pepperdine and win. Pepperdne is very good, but they certainly are no better then Arizona, UCLA, BYU, Georgia or St. John's. Gonzaga knows how to win on the road, and that's one thing to love about this team. I really like Pepperdine, and they are even better this year (and they were good last year); and they will continue to improve in the next few years. However, Gonzaga has also improved this year, and will be able to handle them, I believe. So the team needs to stay focused, and not look ahead. They must be disciplined and play the way Few outlines for them. And they can do all these things. This is a team that is led by experienced players with high basketball IQ. These guys know the ropes, and they know what needs to be done and they'll get 'er done.

Go Zags!!!
One game at a time!

Virginia Zags Fan
01-11-2015, 08:23 AM
Great write up Reborn. I do not think that the guys will have any trouble getting up for Pepperdine. It is always easier to get up for a team that is playing well. Conversely, I think it will be much more difficult to get up for the LMU road game following Pep.

Pepperdine is playing pretty well. And I think they would beat UCLA right now. They are a hard nosed team that is well coached. They will try and limit Zag possessions. The question is, if the zags get up by 10 or 15, will Pepperdine be able to get back into the game?

I think this game will go one of two ways. I think the Zags will win either way, but if they allow Pepperdine to hang around, it will be a close game to the end with the zags winning by 5 to 10 with free throw padding the win. If the zags come out and pour it on, I can see it being a blowout by 25 points as I don't think Pepperdine has the ability to climb out of the big hole. I think the second is more likely in Spokane.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hooter73
01-11-2015, 08:27 AM
A healthy Pangos is a great Pangos, no doubt about that.

Its said that college bigs take 2-3 years to really get into the swing of things and Karno is now consistently showing the type of dominating player that he is. WSU and SCU were just nuts thinking they could gamble with not double teaming him. The rest of our league should really hate those two teams for giving Karno a chance to really get in the zone; its carrying through week to week now instead of half to half like in previous years.

Wesley is great, a veteran that is capable enough to keep the ball every possession, and mature enough not to. His well rounded game and abilities are just so necessary that his overall impact is hard to really measure.

Kyle D and Sabonis are really appreciated as team guys because they are good enough to play starters minutes anywhere, and dont. Both these guys seem like they play better the longer they are in for stretches in games, so the fact that they often dont get long stretches is one of those double edged swords.

Melson is starting to find his groove. I was and probably am still against pulling his redshirt but you cant deny the experience he is getting now that will pay dividends next year. Hes learning the sets and defensive end of things in game, not in practice, which are two different things. Hes also getting comfortable offensively in game. If he hadnt been thrust into the lions den like he was, this may have not been a problem, but it is what it is and hes starting to do more than just pass it off or look for a stand alone jump shot. Hes still obviously not the first second or third go-to option, but hes starting to get into the groove of being an option, which is as we keep saying and hearing, what makes this team so great; everyone is a weapon.

And then there is Bell. His contributions are so understated and all praise goes to his defense. Most of us know how capable he should be offensively and he knows it too. I think its becoming obvious how frustrated he is getting that his shots arent falling but its frustrating to him not because he wants to rack up points, but because he wants to do his part in the team of everyone being a weapon. Its what keeps guys from slacking and double teaming, he knows he needs to hold up his end and while hes not always looking to aggressively score, when he does, it needs to go down, which is not happening lately. Pessimistically I worry that it wont come back and kind of like Elias, hes playing himself right out of a very profitable pro future. But when you look at his character you know he will overcome and be happy with whatever he achieves in the end.

GU is showing that team ball wins really well. Ive been down on the team for not looking and feeling like a top caliber team, but after watching some of the top caliber teams play each other this weekend, I think its because GU players could do all the things that those other teams players do, but they dont because they stay within the game plan. There is the occasional fast break and thats where you see the individual talent shine, but otherwise, its muted because they are team guys that play within the plan and the system. Not always the most high level excitement that gets people on their feet and hearts pounding while we watch, but the stats and win record say it works really, really well.

DixieZag
01-11-2015, 08:31 AM
Pepp is a complete conundrum, they have to be the best RPI 220 team ever. But, they also lose to Pacific by 17(!). I wonder how many other teams at that level have a Stacy Davis?

CDC84
01-11-2015, 10:39 AM
This team really needs Josh Perkins and/or Eric McClellan.

I am really concerned about Pangos getting hurt or developing severe foul trouble in one of these WCC road games. Gonzaga's offense lacks direction when Kev is not in there. As Fox said last night during the broadcast, guys just stand around when Pangos isn't on the floor.

sittingon50
01-11-2015, 10:54 AM
Contrary to previous reports, McClellan may be back sooner.

TheZagPhish
01-11-2015, 11:15 AM

I am really concerned about Pangos getting hurt or developing severe foul trouble in one of these WCC road games. Gonzaga's offense lacks direction when Kev is not in there. As Fox said last night during the broadcast, guys just stand around when Pangos isn't on the floor.

I share your concern, particularly when opposing conference players have figured out that you can simply run into / bounce off of a Zag player, flop in dramatic fashion and sell a foul. While this has always been done to some degree on our bigs, it seems to happening more and more to our guards. Several of these new, young, talented guards are trying to prove their mettle against Kevin, and they're playing close, physical, fast ball. Combine these factors and it makes Kevin more vulnerable to fouls as he hunts his shot.

We need a powerful, second point to spell relief for Pangos.

jazzdelmar
01-11-2015, 11:20 AM
Contrary to previous reports, McClellan may be back sooner.

He looked tall in his civvies, like about 6-5. That accurate?

sittingon50
01-11-2015, 11:34 AM
Listed @ 6'3" on the program, Jazz. A guy I know who says he also stands 6'3" stood near him & said they were even.

jazzdelmar
01-11-2015, 11:42 AM
Listed @ 6'3" on the program, Jazz. A guy I know who says he also stands 6'3" stood near him & said they were even.

Thx, Fitty. Next game take a look during timeouts. He towers over most of the guards.

zag67
01-11-2015, 11:44 AM
maybe 6'3" without shoes and 6'4" with shoes. Because I agree he does look bigger.

jazzdelmar
01-11-2015, 11:56 AM
maybe 6'3" without shoes and 6'4" with shoes. Because I agree he does look bigger.

He really does. He's a mature fellow too, so maybe that's part of the image. Looks very cool and collected. He might be the #1 of all the additions this year. And all of next year.

SteelZag
01-11-2015, 12:06 PM
I'm looking forward to McCllellan allowing Kevin to slide over to the 2. I am however, really excited to see what our perimeter defense looks like with Eric, Bell/Melson and Wesley/Dranginis.

Mantua
01-11-2015, 12:07 PM

Do you know the length of his wingspan?

jazzdelmar
01-11-2015, 12:21 PM
Do you know the length of his wingspan?

No, but I have a feeling you do. :)

Mantua
01-11-2015, 12:25 PM

Melson is starting to make a difference. KD and BW are compensating here and there too, but I agree that Pangos is overworked. Daniels talked about tweaking the interior defense last night at the halftime break. I do think that improved interior defense would take some of the burden off of Kevin and Gary, but, yes, we need Perkins and McClellan. The plan was never that Kevin and Gary would have to substitute for injured players and we didn't expect to have two new players injured. It's just tough sledding for another month at least.

Mantua
01-11-2015, 12:28 PM
No, but I have a feeling you do. :)

I don't know. His arms look pretty long compared to the other guards.

WaveRunner
01-11-2015, 01:05 PM
Pepp is a complete conundrum, they have to be the best RPI 220 team ever. But, they also lose to Pacific by 17(!).

I don't know which team you're referring to, but it isn't Pepperdine. The Waves beat Pacific in their one contest this year. Pepperdine has only 1 conference loss (to SMC, by 9).

For everyone else, the low RPI is explained very easily by their schedule. Both last year and this year, Pepperdine's OOC schedule features... nobody. It was built with the idea of rebuilding and blooding Pepperdine's (seemingly perpetual) young/inexperienced roster. As you all know, only 25% of the RPI comes from your W-L record. So when you play a bunch of nobodies (who in turn also play nobodies), it's a no-brainer that your RPI is gonna be awful no matter what your own performance is. But obviously, Pepperdine doesn't care about RPI this year- the schedule was made for building the team into tough winners, as opposed to wooing the selection committee (the only place RPI matters at all, and even there it's not as important as most water cooler analysts make it out to be).

Looking forward to Thursday's game. I don't know which Zag guards Davis, but I also have no idea which Wave guards Big K. Next year's games should be even better.

MBAGael
01-11-2015, 01:58 PM
Pepperdine's projected RPI is now 138. Much more accurate than current RPI. They are in fourth in the WCC, just ahead of Portland who is 145.

You guys play with discipline and will smoke them.

seacatfan
01-11-2015, 02:01 PM
He might be the #1 of all the additions this year.

Considering how much of an impact several of the other additions have already made this year, and that McClellan is starting to run out of games to make an impact in during this season, that would be exceptionally difficult for him to accomplish this. I'm just hoping he has some impact this year.

sittingon50
01-11-2015, 02:10 PM
I don't know which team you're referring to, but it isn't Pepperdine. The Waves beat Pacific in their one contest this year. Pepperdine has only 1 conference loss (to SMC, by 9).

For everyone else, the low RPI is explained very easily by their schedule. Both last year and this year, Pepperdine's OOC schedule features... nobody. It was built with the idea of rebuilding and blooding Pepperdine's (seemingly perpetual) young/inexperienced roster. As you all know, only 25% of the RPI comes from your W-L record. So when you play a bunch of nobodies (who in turn also play nobodies), it's a no-brainer that your RPI is gonna be awful no matter what your own performance is. But obviously, Pepperdine doesn't care about RPI this year- the schedule was made for building the team into tough winners, as opposed to wooing the selection committee (the only place RPI matters at all, and even there it's not as important as most water cooler analysts make it out to be).

Looking forward to Thursday's game. I don't know which Zag guards Davis, but I also have no idea which Wave guards Big K. Next year's games should be even better.

Thanks for your input, Runner. Lot of Marty & Stacy fans over here. You guys have been doing a great job with a young program. Look forward to Thursday.

DixieZag
01-11-2015, 02:11 PM

I appreciate the correction.

I went on RealTime RPI and I must have read it wrong, it surprised me, too. I thought I was reading it right off the screen. Perhaps they had it wrong, more likely me. And, there is no fanbase anywhere that knows more about RPI than us - we might read too much into it, if anything.

Thanks - and stick around.

MBAGael
01-11-2015, 02:17 PM
Pepps KenPom rating is 95 now, great job!

jazzdelmar
01-11-2015, 03:28 PM
Considering how much of an impact several of the other additions have already made this year, and that McClellan is starting to run out of games to make an impact in during this season, that would be exceptionally difficult for him to accomplish this. I'm just hoping he has some impact this year.

Agree. Bit of a reach. Certainly won't match impact of KW. But in terms of specific impact, spelling KP and playing tenacious perimeter D, he might come 2nd, even before BW.

Vanzagger
01-11-2015, 03:39 PM

Is it as pretty when Pangos gets a rest? No. Are we still getting high percentage looks? Yes. Will it improve if Few doesn't panic and squeeze himself to death? Yes.

Here is the thing. Urban Meyer knows a thing or 2 about playing for National Championships. Tomorrow he is playing for one with his 3rd string QB.

So today I hear a report how he sends 2 of his player at a time to fight over a car tire.

The guy won two ships with a QB who can't throw a spiral.

What's the message here? It's not always going to be pretty. All us Zags need to toughen up.

jazzdelmar
01-11-2015, 03:44 PM
Is it as pretty when Pangos gets a rest? No. Are we still getting high percentage looks? Yes. Will it improve if Few doesn't panic and squeeze himself to death? p.

What do you mean, squeeze?

Vanzagger
01-11-2015, 03:56 PM
Juice worth the squeeze

NumberCruncher
01-11-2015, 04:06 PM
Juice worth the squeeze

Well, THAT certainly clears it up.

sittingon50
01-11-2015, 04:36 PM
"Mongo only a pawn in the game of life."

GonzagasaurusFlex
01-11-2015, 05:56 PM
Is it as pretty when Pangos gets a rest? No. Are we still getting high percentage looks? Yes. Will it improve if Few doesn't panic and squeeze himself to death? Yes.

The ability to laugh at oneself is a sign of good self-esteem, so I hope Coach Few isn't offended by your comment, which is hilarious because he sure does have that 'just hugging myself tightly' pose down pat.

Hopefully someone on the staff knows how to counter-balance all that intensity and seriousness with a well-placed quip or Barbaric YAWP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbzLUQKTDQE

Bogozags
01-12-2015, 03:56 AM
The ability to laugh at oneself is a sign of good self-esteem, so I hope Coach Few isn't offended by your comment, which is hilarious because he sure does have that 'just hugging myself tightly' pose down pat.

Hopefully someone on the staff knows how to counter-balance all that intensity and seriousness with a well-placed quip or Barbaric YAWP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbzLUQKTDQE

THAT was a GREAT movie...

I believe Sacre has to call Coach Few at least twice a week, just to get him to laugh...or so I have been told...

titopoet
01-12-2015, 04:30 AM

That is exactly right. A consistent backup PG is needed come March. They need one or both moving forward. It also not just if Kevin gets hurt, but having Kevin play off the ball makes this team far more dynamic. Noting having one coming back, but getting them comfortable play with the others in game situations is paramount for a deep, deep run.

wavesfan
01-12-2015, 01:31 PM
Thanks for your input, Runner. Lot of Marty & Stacy fans over here. You guys have been doing a great job with a young program. Look forward to Thursday.

We (meaning the Waves) really only had two marquee non-con games this year in Iowa and Arizona State. We lost by 10 and 7 points, respectively. We should have beaten both Richmond and IUPUI but lost by 2 to both. The win against BYU in Provo hopefully put the team on a different level, however, both in terms of the players' confidence and the fans' expectations. You guys look about as tough as I've ever seen and the number of statistical categories the Zags have managed to rank near the top nationally is quite amazing.

Somehow, though, we have got to put an end to this 20+ game losing streak. Hopefully this week or sometime soon.

It's been a long time since I've made an appearance on this forum, mainly because it had become so depressing to see reminders of how well Gonzaga (and others in the WCC) were doing while we seemed to have fallen into the abyss. The Dark Years as I refer to them. This board has certainly become something I don't think BobZag could even have dreamed of 14 or 15 years ago.

Pepperdine has now found a quality coach who is building a program with talent, athleticism and pride. So hopefully we can rekindle this rivalry as a battle of equals at some point soon. Always getting stomped really sucks.

Bocco
01-12-2015, 01:38 PM
We (meaning the Waves) really only had two marquee non-con games this year in Iowa and Arizona State. We lost by 10 and 7 points, respectively. We should have beaten both Richmond and IUPUI but lost by 2 to both. The win against BYU in Provo hopefully put the team on a different level, however, both in terms of the players' confidence and the fans' expectations. You guys look about as tough as I've ever seen and the number of statistical categories the Zags have managed to rank near the top nationally is quite amazing.

Somehow, though, we have got to put an end to this 20+ game losing streak. Hopefully this week or sometime soon.

It's been a long time since I've made an appearance on this forum, mainly because it had become so depressing to see reminders of how well Gonzaga (and others in the WCC) were doing while we seemed to have fallen into the abyss. The Dark Years as I refer to them. This board has certainly become something I don't think BobZag could even have dreamed of 14 or 15 years ago.

Pepperdine has now found a quality coach who is building a program with talent, athleticism and pride. So hopefully we can rekindle this rivalry as a battle of equals at some point soon. Always getting stomped really sucks.

I've been impressed with the job Marty Wilson is doing at Pepp, best of all for Wave fans I don't think he's looking at this job as a stepping stone to going somewhere else.

caduceus
01-12-2015, 01:42 PM
http://i.imgur.com/NGZSSIo.png

Good luck.

sittingon50
01-12-2015, 01:43 PM

I visit your board frequently but am not quite clear on the new Arena going forward. Finances are in place, correct? Land use/ecological issues?

maynard g krebs
01-12-2015, 03:31 PM
http://i.imgur.com/NGZSSIo.png

Good luck.

I always thought Vitas Gerulaitis sounded like a disease involving some sort of organ inflammation.

wavesfan
01-12-2015, 03:49 PM
I visit your board frequently but am not quite clear on the new Arena going forward. Finances are in place, correct? Land use/ecological issues?

As I understand it, the new arena has received all the necessary approvals including from the dreaded California Coastal Commission. Now we just need the money.

Pepperdine had a $450 million campaign to raise funds for a significant number of projects on the campus, however, only $50 million was allocated to the funding of the new arena and an unknown additional amount must be raised to full fund the construction.

jazzdelmar
01-12-2015, 03:53 PM
Pep rivals USD when it comes to fat cat, SoCal donors.

zaguarxj
01-12-2015, 03:53 PM
I'd love to see Pepp build a nice venue. You have such a nice location that recruiting should be easy with a good coach and facilities.