PDA

View Full Version : Hubbard

Birddog
01-10-2015, 07:44 PM
Was this kid on any local D1 team's radar? Did ol' Mother Hubbard just keep him in the cupboard? Looks like Keating may have snatched a good one from Colville.

willandi
01-10-2015, 08:01 PM
I was excited to see his parents in the crowd. Hopefully they will push for the Broncos to get a college basketball venue!

VinnyZag
01-10-2015, 08:02 PM
Certainly didn't look like any of the Zags players were aware he was on the floor. How many time were they going to leave him wide open?

izzjess
01-10-2015, 08:29 PM
I told you guys about this kid..i played ball with him a couple times...good kid

hondo
01-10-2015, 08:50 PM
Santa Clara has done well recruiting the Pacific Northwest. Steve Nash, Stephen Ross and Marc Trasolini--Vancouver- Victoria area. Sean Denison from Nelson, BC and now Hubbard. I think they also had a 7 footer Brendan Graves from BC about 20 years ago or so.

sittingon50
01-10-2015, 08:54 PM
He has been coming down to GU for a few years & playing pick-up with a few of the guys (tried banging with E). Played on a Spokane AAU team when he was younger then finished with a team out of Seattle. IIRC a couple of kids he played with over there signed with Pacific. Had a big Jr. year but some injuries his Sr. year. His HS Coach told me about half the WCC offered (Reveno wanted him bad) him along with Colgate & a few others.

Think he was trying to make a bit of a statement tonight. His folks said he loves it down there.

sonuvazag
01-10-2015, 09:48 PM
I was excited to see his parents in the crowd. Hopefully they will push for the Broncos to get a college basketball venue!
In what sense are you bagging on Leavey?

TheGonzagaFactor
01-10-2015, 10:01 PM

I've only seen it on TV, but Leavey looks like the best venue in the WCC besides the Kennel and maybe the Slim Gym.

TheGonzagaFactor
01-10-2015, 10:08 PM
He has been coming down to GU for a few years & playing pick-up with a few of the guys (tried banging with E). Played on a Spokane AAU team when he was younger then finished with a team out of Seattle. IIRC a couple of kids he played with over there signed with Pacific. Had a big Jr. year but some injuries his Sr. year. His HS Coach told me about half the WCC offered (Reveno wanted him bad) him along with Colgate & a few others.

Think he was trying to make a bit of a statement tonight. His folks said he loves it down there.

Yeah, I sure wish we had a 4 man that can shoot 3s.

He looks like a good (but one dimensional) player. That will probably change as he matures and gets used to college ball. I definitely don't feel like we let one get away like we did with Joe Harris. I mean "let one get away" in terms of geography, not in reference to our actual chances of landing him.

It was cool that he had a good game with his parents in the house. Seeing as we won easily, I'm happy for the local kid.

Interesting to see a kid from Colville with such talent... When I was in HS, Colville had just moved from the 3A Frontier League to the 2A GNL and were instantly and consistently a punching bag for the rest of the league. They were respectable at football and baseball, but were an absolute joke on the hardwood.

Virginia Zags Fan
01-11-2015, 08:35 AM
I think the coaching staff did a marvelous job putting together a team that has the potential to contend for a final four this year. If you add Hubbard, who do you take away? I certainly would not take away Wesley, Sabonis, Melson, or Perkins. Hubbard is a fine player, but this team was built to win this year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hooter73
01-11-2015, 08:54 AM
I definitely don't feel like we let one get away like we did with Joe Harris. I mean "let one get away" in terms of geography, not in reference to our actual chances of landing him.

*Cough* Brett Bailey. Or that kid from Colfax (I think) last year. The GSL or other local leagues dont usually produce much in the way of high level players. Coaching, AAU opportunities, demographics...

DixieZag
01-11-2015, 10:28 AM
I've only seen it on TV, but Leavey looks like the best venue in the WCC besides the Kennel and maybe the Slim Gym.

I've been to USD, USF, SCU, Portland and here, obviously. I would rank them, Mac, USD, SCU, Portland, USF. USF is the one that really needs new facilities. They are kind of boxed in on top of the hill there, but I am sure it hurts them recruiting-wise. SCU has nothing to sneer at, it's just fine. In some ways, it's pretty nice. USD is beautiful and wonderful to watch a game in.

And, as much as we bad on Keating, a nice player like Hubbard can hardly go wrong going to SCU. Beautiful campus, academics that are as high or higher than GU - he'll do well. Good for him.

mtzaga
01-11-2015, 01:01 PM
*Cough* Brett Bailey. Or that kid from Colfax (I think) last year. The GSL or other local leagues dont usually produce much in the way of high level players. Coaching, AAU opportunities, demographics...

The kid from Colfax made 7 3-pointers last night in Montana's 90-64 win over Idaho State.

hooter73
01-11-2015, 06:37 PM
jeeze, Good for him! Another one of those that we only find out about after the fact. Im sure the coaches check out every local prospect, teams like SCU Montana... they get a nice player that works well in their system and the region gets a little bit of press. Win win as far as Im concerned.