• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OZZY
    Zag for Life
    • Aug 2009

Kevin Pangos' defence

I am really enjoying watching KP's defence this year.

IMHO, it is an undervalued part of his game, after mostly shutting down Anderson in San Diego he is also doing a great job on Clark today.

He may not have the strength of GBJ in fighting through screens as well, or the height and ruggedness of Draino, but he has such active hands (I think that 4 steals so far today is a career high for him).

I am not saying he is a better defender than either of those great defensive players, I just really enjoying watching his motor on defence..

GO GU!
    Last edited by OZZY; 01-10-2015, 05:47 PM. Reason: adding stuff
  • TheZagPhish
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Amen!
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Comment

• zag67
      Zag for Life
      • Sep 2007

Agree. I think that Pangos, GB, Dranginis, Wesley, and Melson are all playing super defence.

Comment

• Bing
        Kennel Club Material
        • Feb 2007

Kevin hasn't played a lick of defence since high school (except maybe in International play).

Lately he HAS been playing great defense however.
        gobroncsgozags: "Have a great day in the podunk, crap hole known as Roslyn."

Comment

• MDABE80
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

I've been noticing his defense as well. Still a bit difficult for him covering cat quick guards but he's dramtically improved. Working harder than I've seen him staying in front of his opponent. East West movement in particular. Good to see.

Comment

• Zag 77
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Defense/defence

I am really enjoying watching KP's defence this year.

Very clever what you did there. You used the British/Canadian spelling of "Defense." You must be a Canuck like KP.

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
              Zag for Life
              • Oct 2008

I was very apprehensive about his defense after watching him in a Euros vs Americans All-Star under 18 game back when. For context, we were saying goodbye to Meech, who was a great on-ball defender. I have been pleasantly surprised by Pangos this year.

I'm sure being healthy helps.

Now I'm going to go to the proverbial "there," just for the sake of conversation. Is Pangos' defense good enough that he can hang with NBA-level point guards?

Comment

• dadair
                Bulldog Fan
                • Nov 2014

What Dickau said

During the SF game, Dickau said Pangos uses game film to learn opponents' tendencies. He's "quick enough," Dickau said, but his awareness makes him look quicker than he is.

Comment

• hooter73
                  Zag for Life
                  • Jun 2008

Dikau was right on. He knows his short comings (haha) so he learns how to counter other guards better. Half of our amazement at his new found defense is probably because he wasnt physically able to do it last year with his toe and ankle. Its a noticeable improvement this year. as far as the NBA thing goes, well I dont think recent history has shown that even great college guards that dont have super height and or athleticism go very far in the league and the drafts are starting to reflect that.

Comment

• bartruff1
                    Zag for Life
                    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
                    I was very apprehensive about his defense after watching him in a Euros vs Americans All-Star under 18 game back when. For context, we were saying goodbye to Meech, who was a great on-ball defender. I have been pleasantly surprised by Pangos this year.

I'm sure being healthy helps.

Now I'm going to go to the proverbial "there," just for the sake of conversation. Is Pangos' defense good enough that he can hang with NBA-level point guards?
                    He is a very determined young man and he is playing very well on both ends of the court.

I am certainly no expert, but....Aaron Craft got cut and is playing in the D league and will likely go to Europe.... I would hazard a guess, that Kevin will get a look but end up in Europe..

Comment

• DZ
                      Zag for Life
                      • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Zag 77 View Post
                      Very clever what you did there. You used the British/Canadian spelling of "Defense." You must be a Canuck like KP.
                      Ozz is Australian - hence the Opera House, and a cool guy who knows how to spell Defence properly. I'll bet he felt right at home in the Martin Centre, too, cheering on his favourite team.

Solidarity - Canucks/Aussies. God save the Queen.

As to Kevin, I think his intelligence helps make up for whatever quickness he lacks b/c I've noticed his spacing is so good. The same qualities that make him a good point guard in getting good angles, allow him to block them, too. He's also stronger than when he came in (Gary came in strong as a bull). His effort might be up a notich, too.
                      Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                      Mark Twain.

Comment

• sittingon50
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

And speaking of defense/defence, GBJ probably had more trouble rolling out of bed than this old fart did this morning. He was getting blasted by screens all night long sticking with Brownridge. Box scores probably do him less justice than any kid that has played in the program.
                        But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• CDC84
                          Super Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

He's pretty good against guards around his size, but he can be a liability against taller, more athletic point guards.

The thing I like about Kevin is that he works hard on the defensive end. He may not have the greatest lateral foot speed or athleticism on defense, but he's attentive and works hard at it.

Comment

• OZZY
                            Zag for Life
                            • Aug 2009

Originally posted by DixieZag View Post
                            Ozz is Australian - hence the Opera House, and a cool guy who knows how to spell Defence properly. I'll bet he felt right at home in the Martin Centre, too, cheering on his favourite team.

Solidarity - Canucks/Aussies. God save the Queen.

As to Kevin, I think his intelligence helps make up for whatever quickness he lacks b/c I've noticed his spacing is so good. The same qualities that make him a good point guard in getting good angles, allow him to block them, too. He's also stronger than when he came in (Gary came in strong as a bull). His effort might be up a notich, too.
                            Actually you both are right!

I was born in Canada, brought up on the Queen's English and moved to Australia after I married an Aussie.

I still am passionate about my Canadian Roots (as, believe it or not, are my children who were born in Australia)

Comment

• maynard g krebs
                              Zag for Life
                              • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Zag 77 View Post
                              And I thought defence was just a way to keep decows from escaping.

Comment

Working...
                              X