• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BTB
    Professional Zag Fan
    • Nov 2012

The Gonzaga Dilemma - Article

I stumbled across this article about the repercussions of our early march exit 2 years ago and the uniqueness of our program. It's very well thought out and I thought some of you might enjoy it.

• gonzagafan62
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2013

That article line reminds me of the Gonzaga team that ended up as a Top 5 team in the nation getting shunned for a #6 seed. If that happens again, I am going to be very angry.
    The decision to make the Zags a #1 seed this season is unlikely to be a slam-dunk, but if the decision is anything short of unquestionable, the selection committee, whether they say so or not, has a supporting piece of evidence compelling enough to quiet even the most fervent of apologists. It’s only January 9, but Bulldogs’ fans may want to brace themselves for a potentially harsh Selection Sunday reality: Right or wrong, 33-1 may not be good enough this time around. - See more at: http://rushthecourt.net/2015/01/09/b....sHxYu0rm.dpuf
    Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Truth hurts. But he neglected some caveats, not least never mentioning Wichita State's ascendance as well. The most significant other is that while this year's OOC pales in comparison to most recent ones, there was no way to know that SMU, Memphis, UCLA, even Georgia and St John's were going to be paper tigers when compared to their college bb rep and/or their preseason rankings. Then there's the BIS screwup. So while his overall theme -- that '13 will weigh heavily on seeding this year -- holds water, there are a some leaks to his rationale.

Comment

• thegloriousgoateeofKP
        Professional Zag Fan
        • Jul 2007

The Committee doesn't take past performance into account. Any suggestion otherwise vastly underestimates the thoroughness of the Committee.

Comment

• VinnyZag
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

2013 was a weird year. I never thought that Gonzaga team was really one of the four best in the country, but based on what it did on the floor (and based on who the competition was), a No. 1 seed was deserved.

I've been concerned for a while about what GU's nonconference schedule will look like in March. SMU isn't as good as it appeared when they were scheduled, UCLA looks down, and the preseason NIT provided only OK competition. Schedule looked great in August, but it just didn't turn out that way, for reasons outside GU's control.

So, that may make a No. 1 see unlikely. But I don't know if it makes that big of a difference. Whether they're a 1 or a 2, they're still playing pretty good teams by the second round. Maybe being under seeded would make them (cough) Play Angry come March.

Comment

• Zagdawg
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

RPIs --still work to do --but at least a number of our wins can help us out still--
            St John 25
            Georgia 28
            SMU 33
            BYU 54 (dropped from 31 yesterday after loss to Pepp)
            Cal Poly 79
            UCLA 80
            St Marys 88

Comment

• thegloriousgoateeofKP
              Professional Zag Fan
              • Jul 2007

Also, seeding doesn't really matter...it's all about the draw. If we draw good matchups...be it as a 1, a 2, or a 9...I'll be happy.

Comment

• CDC84
                Super Moderator
                • Feb 2007

I am fine with a 2 or even a 3 seed. I just don't want to be placed in the Kentucky or Duke regionals.

Comment

• sittingon50
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Thanks BTB. Good read.
                  But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• Zagricultural
                    Professional Zag Fan
                    • Nov 2012

I would prefer a 2 or 3 actually. Provided we avoid Kentucky's region

Comment

• webspinnre
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by thegloriousgoateeofKP View Post
                      The Committee doesn't take past performance into account. Any suggestion otherwise vastly underestimates the thoroughness of the Committee.
                      That's of course the official policy, but overcoming human nature is difficult. I'm confident that none of them will intentionally due this, but I'm also confident that at least some of them will subconsciously do this.
                      I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Comment

• Vanzagger
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Few's first thought every morning should be....how do I make this team focus more on Defense.
                        Think Big. No think Bigger than that!

Comment

• hooter73
                          Zag for Life
                          • Jun 2008

Originally posted by webspinnre View Post
                          That's of course the official policy, but overcoming human nature is difficult. I'm confident that none of them will intentionally due this, but I'm also confident that at least some of them will subconsciously do this.
                          Completely agree.

Comment

• coolhandzag
                            Bleeds GU Blue
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
                            I am fine with a 2 or even a 3 seed. I just don't want to be placed in the Kentucky or Duke regionals.
                            Probably a 50% chance of that.

I think Few should worry about getting out of the first weekend.

Comment

• seacatfan
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by webspinnre View Post
                              Ever seen the chair of the selection committee right after the brackets are announced? More double speak and non-answers than a politician. Totally agree, the official policy and the truth aren't necessarily the same thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X