PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs USF post-game thoughts

Reborn
01-08-2015, 08:13 PM
Just about how I hoped it would go. Twelve made 3 point shots. Yes I said twelve. You know how I love those 3 pointers. Zags were feelin it at home. Wiltjer and Pangos got the 3 point thunderstorm going, and then Melson picked it up the second half, and finally Bell hit one. Loved the shooting guys.

Karno continues to dominate in the paint with 16 points and his usual excellent passing. The Zags only had 7 turnovers (I think the lowest this year), and 19 assists. They also outrebounded USF by 13. And I believe they were behind by 3 at the half.

I thought Sabonis looked much much better tonight. The guys were really trying to get him the ball so he could score, and I believe it made him feel good. He seemed smoother tonight, and was not forcing things, and did try to pass some, but his passing still needs a lot of work. I believe that playing in the WCC is going to help Sabonis regain his confidence. I could see it tonight. He led the Zags in rebounding with 9 and scored 7 points. Dranginis continued to play very well off the bench scoring 6 points.

The Zags shot 43% from behind the arc, and 53% for the game. Very good stats. Good game at home by the Zags. Enjoyed it. Missed the students and I'm sure the players did too.

Go Zags!!!
One game at a time!

seasontixholder
01-08-2015, 08:52 PM
Laugher. Zags played with about 7/8 intensity. Completely full house, but only modest energy in the building.

Toyed with a team that had only 3 nice players. Sad when their bigs shooting 3s were their only hope of staying close for a half. Their subs blew.

hooter73
01-08-2015, 09:03 PM
Meh. They pass every test and still dont have the look and feel of a top ten team. Sorry, just my uneducated opinion.

Mantua
01-08-2015, 09:07 PM
I don't think Rex was counting on our frosh to play as well as we know they can. We simply outnumbered USF.

LongIslandZagFan
01-08-2015, 09:08 PM
How did they not win by 40, 50, no... 60 or 70... just plain disappointed... just a crappy game from the boys and the coach.

Yes... that is sarcasm.

bigblahla
01-08-2015, 09:42 PM
Meh. They pass every test and still dont have the look and feel of a top ten team. Sorry, just my uneducated opinion.

Have you considered glasses and going gloveless.....maybe they'll look and feel better...;)

Go!! Zags!!!

Zags11
01-08-2015, 10:30 PM
Just better. I am surprised people dont all see a solid top 10 team. This team has no weaknesses and could and should go deep in march. We are 15 and 1 and that is a remarkable record.

jpn17
01-09-2015, 12:09 AM
Great game, Gonzaga played extremely well on both ends of the court, they could have won by 40+ if the basket didn't have a lid on it the first 10 minutes of the game.

gonzagafan62
01-09-2015, 05:33 AM

Is it because we've been here so long this season? Is it because we haven't felt 5 players at same time be as good together as a team since 99 or even 00 or maybe for you its 08-09... I feel the same way, but if we can get Perkins back, all will be good. Those were fun times with Josh on the court.

WallaWallaZag
01-09-2015, 06:16 AM
it's still a little concerning to me that the zags can be pressured on the perimeter...it's not like the dons have big athletic guards so the inability to easily handle what usf threw at them makes me think the zags will need to avoid a louisville or even vcu type team in march.

Reborn
01-09-2015, 06:25 AM
Good morning. It's the day after, and that always means that my mind is clearer. A good night sleep always brings a fresh perspective on the game from the night before. And my first thoughts this morning about the Zags were (as I echo Skip Baylis), "How about them Zags." That game was awesome. It was beautiful. It's how I like to see the game of basketball played. The All-American guard, Kevin Pangos played a great game, scoring 17 points and orchastrated a show that was absolutely awesome. He plays the point the way I love to see a point guard play. And then you have Kyle Wiltjer who is the best 4 we have had at Gonzaga. When he plays the way he played last night his game is absolutely beautiful to watch. He was hitting one three after another at the beginning of the game to get the team rolling. But as the game went on he became a point four. Yes, a point four. And there have been very few in the game of basketball. His passing last night was truly something beautiful to see. His ability to pass and run the offense allows Kevin to become a shooter from the wing. We've been talking about a backup point a lot, well in many ways Kyle Wiltjer has been assuming that role. And Mt. Karnowski is truly becoming a great center. I remember Gary Leishman well, and in many ways PK is a 7'1" Gary Leishman. And, imo we'll be seeing PK in the NBA.

Last night we also saw the potential of our bench players, as they played one of their best games last night. Silas Melson for sure played his best game. But when you have guys like Kyle Dranginis, Sabonis and Melson coming off the bench you have one solid bench. Thank you Zags for giving us fans such a great game to see. Welcome home.

Go Zags!!!
One game at a time!

Zagdawg
01-09-2015, 07:33 AM
If what the dawns hit us with was "perimeter pressure" and we came out of a game with only 7 turnovers and shot 43% from three-- I will take that type of pressure all day long. The Zags handled it well --once they settled down a bit.

There are a lot of teams that bring much tougher pressure than what we saw last night -- we just need to be ready for it.

hooter73
01-09-2015, 07:42 AM
Pangos is only an All American in the Kennel. Again, love him to death and wouldnt trade him for two certified all americans, but drop the (meaningless) title.

We fell behind to a team that is in a race for last place in the league. We made adjustments in the second half and it obviously worked although USF had their fire die down by the end of the first. Not something we generally do, so that shows a bit of something. Still though we aren't dominate rebounding (Sabonis finally had some good numbers there) and we arent dominate defensively. Those are two keys, BIG keys to top tier teams. Offensively, yeah, not bad although we still dont look like the team that blew SMU and St. Joes away in the fall. I do think that Perkins is a big key factor which is really funny considering how I thought he was over hyped.

Last night we struggled less with the double teams and in transition we are really really good. Even when mistake is made like Pangos's too strong of a pass to Sabonis who somehow caught it under the basket and was able to get it to a trailing Wesley (i think it was Byron), Or Wesley and Melson two on two fast break where the positioning wasnt just right to dish it for Melson so some how Byron finished it, those are things not just any players can do.

Our bench production is a little in limbo with Nunez deciding to put on his dunce hat and KD in short spurts not doing what he seems to be able to do in longer minutes. We're good, really good, wont be surprised if we run the table through league play. But the round of 32 calls loudly.

Edit to add: Wiltjer is not the best 4 IMO. Not yet anyway. Next year, good possibility.

BULLDOG#1
01-09-2015, 07:52 AM

I kind of agree with this... The closest to a title contender they've looked all year was a loss at Arizona.
Playing to the level of the competition?

LongIslandZagFan
01-09-2015, 08:08 AM
4 players averaging double digits
2 more that average 8 or more

15-1

9th in the country in points per game
11th in the country in assists
2nd in the country in FG%
#5 ranking on KenPom
#4 in Adjusted Offense per KenPom
#27 in Adjusted Defense per KenPom

Meh... guess they aren't all that good.

BeamerZag
01-09-2015, 08:14 AM
Pangos is only an All American in the Kennel. Again, love him to death and wouldnt trade him for two certified all americans, but drop the (meaningless) title.

We have played 8 games away from the Kennel this year. Kevin's stats are:

Pts: 14
FG%: 48%
Assist: 6
Reb: 3
TO: 2

And that includes the Texas Southern game where he only played 25 minutes, and @ AZ and UCLA where not many players are going to shine.

Seems pretty legit to me. But what do I know?

hooter73
01-09-2015, 08:18 AM
4 players averaging double digits
2 more that average 8 or more

15-1

9th in the country in points per game
11th in the country in assists
2nd in the country in FG%
#5 ranking on KenPom
#4 in Adjusted Offense per KenPom
#27 in Adjusted Defense per KenPom

Meh... guess they aren't all that good.

Like I said, they pass every stat test you can throw out there and I never said they arent really, really good. In reading the replies, Im not the only one that feels this way. Im also not the guy that when filling out his NCAA Tourny bracket that puts the Zags as national champions every year just because they are the local team I like to follow.

BeamerZag
01-09-2015, 08:18 AM
Zags win by 31.
Shoot 53% from the field
Shoot 43% from 3's
Have 19 to 7 Assists to TO
Hit 12 3's
Przemek dominated
Sabonis looked significantly more in control of his emotions
Zags are 15-1
Zags are #6 in the country

You are guys are right. We have a long way to go before we look good.

BeamerZag
01-09-2015, 08:21 AM
Like I said, they pass every stat test you can throw out there and I never said they aren't really, really good. In reading the replies, Im not the only one that feels this way. Im also not the guy that when filling out his NCAA Tourny bracket that puts the Zags as national champions every year just because they are the local team I like to follow.

There is a difference between blindly believing your team is the best team in the country, and appreciating what you have.

Realistically, how many teams have it better than us year after year? 5? 6?

Zags will never be Kentucky... and for that, I am damn proud.

BeamerZag
01-09-2015, 08:22 AM
Also, how has no one pointed out that Shem walked up and cooly iced 2 free throws.

Atta boy.

LongIslandZagFan
01-09-2015, 08:26 AM
Like I said, they pass every stat test you can throw out there and I never said they arent really, really good. In reading the replies, Im not the only one that feels this way. Im also not the guy that when filling out his NCAA Tourny bracket that puts the Zags as national champions every year just because they are the local team I like to follow.

On the contrary... I make a Zag bracket and a real bracket... This year...might just do one.

I think they don't pass the "eye" test because you aren't seeing one player dominate in most games. Instead they play unselfishly and it lowers some of the numbers and you don't get that view of total domination by one or two players. They cruised to a 31 point win... not sure how much more you want out of them.

hooter73
01-09-2015, 08:29 AM
We have played 8 games away from the Kennel this year. Kevin's stats are:

Pts: 14
FG%: 48%
Assist: 6
Reb: 3
TO: 2

And that includes the Texas Southern game where he only played 25 minutes, and @ AZ and UCLA where not many players are going to shine.

Seems pretty legit to me. But what do I know?

Youre absolutely right. His stats say differently than what Ive seen. Someone might want to write a letter to the committee that selects these things.

The point is he has a history of being inconsistent on the road, never a non-factor though.

hooter73
01-09-2015, 08:31 AM
Also, how has no one pointed out that Shem walked up and cooly iced 2 free throws.

Atta boy.

and have 5 rebounds in the last two games. KIDDING! im just nit picking now. Shem has been my GUnit for the last two games. He has come alive this year and his confidence shows it.

hooter73
01-09-2015, 08:33 AM
On the contrary... I make a Zag bracket and a real bracket... This year...might just do one.

I think they don't pass the "eye" test because you aren't seeing one player dominate in most games. Instead they play unselfishly and it lowers some of the numbers and you don't get that view of total domination by one or two players. They cruised to a 31 point win... not sure how much more you want out of them.

That is a good possibility. When I watch big east teams though they just seem so much... more, like on a different level. The next level. Who knows, this will probably be the year we go for one loss total and I will cheer as hard as ever if we do.

titopoet
01-09-2015, 09:01 AM
Sometimes we make it too complicated. The team sure look like a top ten and more over a top 4 team. Even at the start of the game it was GU running offense and getting open high quality shots (they weren't falling) and the Dons were shooting contested shots that were dropping. Could the Dons beat the odds and continue to get tough shots and have GU miss the open high quality shots. Nope. A return to the mean and the blow out started. What was good was the Zags recognized and continued to execute and knew it turn around. Running the the offense through Shem and continue to take the open shot knowing it was only a matter of time for them to start falling and the luck of the Dons turned.

Unbiased
01-09-2015, 09:24 AM
For 32 minutes, the Zags were uninspired and lethargic offensively and defensively. Lazy passes, slow moving on offense, slow moving and loose defense. Then, it changed. I imagine some forceful comments by the coaches caused an attitude change.

What probably concerns some worried posters is a realization you can't
get away with that from good teams come March.

kitzbuel
01-09-2015, 09:43 AM
If what the dawns hit us with was "perimeter pressure" and we came out of a game with only 7 turnovers and shot 43% from three-- I will take that type of pressure all day long. The Zags handled it well --once they settled down a bit.

There are a lot of teams that bring much tougher pressure than what we saw last night -- we just need to be ready for it.
I think Cal Poly showed the best way to slow the Zags down with their trap zone. USF tried to implement. Probably didn't have the athlete needed to work right.

I wonder what Pepp might do with their highly ranked perimeter D.

DixieZag
01-09-2015, 09:47 AM
Anyone else think that, all things being equal, if we took the "Shem 2.0" back to Arizona and play again, we win that game by 8?

Not saying he played bad that game, at all. It's more a comment about how well he's playing now.

I am really impressed and embarrassed to say, a little surprised. I didn't know he had this level of confidence in him.

kitzbuel
01-09-2015, 09:55 AM
That is a good possibility. When I watch big east teams though they just seem so much... more, like on a different level. The next level. Who knows, this will probably be the year we go for one loss total and I will cheer as hard as ever if we do.
I really don't see anything in Seton Hall, Villanova, or St John's that separates them from Gonzaga.

I don't think any of them come to Spokane and win.

seacatfan
01-09-2015, 10:08 AM
Uh...didn't GU already beat St. John's at MSG? Although the Johnnies are 0-3 to start conference play (I just looked, DePaul is 3-0, everybody else has at least one loss...who knew?). But the Big East isn't remotely what it used to be, not exactly the strongest conference out there. I've watched a little here and there, had the 'Nova-St. John's game on. I think definitely there is more overall athleticism, and tougher, more physical defense than what GU plays or will see from WCC competitors, but I'd be fairly surprised to see any Big East teams make a deep run this year.

seacatfan
01-09-2015, 10:11 AM
As has been pointed out, GU shot the ball well, pulled away in the second half for an easy win, all is good. I was surprised that GU's energy level didn't seem very high to start the game. I thought the first home game in weeks would have them chomping at the bit.

BULLDOG#1
01-09-2015, 10:37 AM
I believe hooter73 has some good points.

Shem, as great as he's been, still needs to rebound at a higher level. So does Wiltjer.

In the second half last night, we witnessed:

Sabonis flying in for out of area rebounds
Pangos asserting his game offensively
Pangos playing defense with a chip on his shoulder
Wesley in attack mode
Shem dominating offensively
Melson with some swagger(too bad Wesley didn't pass him the rock on the one breakaway... Sabonis missed him a couple times, too).

That is to say PLAYING LIKE THE DOMINANT TEAM THE STATS SAY THEY ARE.

The problem with the 'eye test' is that too often this team looks like they did during the first half of last night's game. This team has the tools to dominate opponents, and sometimes they do. It's a consistent effort that's going to pass the eye test. They will always look a bit un-athletic on the front line with Shem and Wiltjer in the game. Those two need to dominate in other ways -- mainly by skilled offensive plays -- and they do quite often, but more consistency is needed.

Are there 6-7 teams in the country better than the zags? Maybe not.

But the real question should be -- After we've seen what this team is capable of accomplishing, do you think that it's currently living up to it's potential on a consistent level? I say no. The zags have squandered too many leads and have let lesser competition hang around too long (witness first half last night).

Hey I LOVE this team. They are skilled and deep at every position and they've got coachable kids and a stellar coaching staff. I do believe they'll continue to grow and I'm hoping for a long tourney run.

But I still think hooter's got a point...

MDABE80
01-09-2015, 10:43 AM
We proved we can beat a very weak opponent..once we decide to actually pay attention and play hard. Outside of that, we notched a win and are 15-1 with a season half way in the books. When Domas plays hard and avoid fouls, he really looks amazing. So quick to every ball. Much quicker inside that most bigs I've seen this year.

hooter73
01-09-2015, 11:21 AM
I believe hooter73 has some good points.

Shem, as great as he's been, still needs to rebound at a higher level. So does Wiltjer.

In the second half last night, we witnessed:

Sabonis flying in for out of area rebounds
Pangos asserting his game offensively
Pangos playing defense with a chip on his shoulder
Wesley in attack mode
Shem dominating offensively
Melson with some swagger(too bad Wesley didn't pass him the rock on the one breakaway... Sabonis missed him a couple times, too).

That is to say PLAYING LIKE THE DOMINANT TEAM THE STATS SAY THEY ARE.

The problem with the 'eye test' is that too often this team looks like they did during the first half of last night's game. This team has the tools to dominate opponents, and sometimes they do. It's a consistent effort that's going to pass the eye test. They will always look a bit un-athletic on the front line with Shem and Wiltjer in the game. Those two need to dominate in other ways -- mainly by skilled offensive plays -- and they do quite often, but more consistency is needed.

Are there 6-7 teams in the country better than the zags? Maybe not.

But the real question should be -- After we've seen what this team is capable of accomplishing, do you think that it's currently living up to it's potential on a consistent level? I say no. The zags have squandered too many leads and have let lesser competition hang around too long (witness first half last night).

Hey I LOVE this team. They are skilled and deep at every position and they've got coachable kids and a stellar coaching staff. I do believe they'll continue to grow and I'm hoping for a long tourney run.

But I still think hooter's got a point...

So much better stated than I could have. Thanks!

And if Domas figures out some offense away from the basket and some non fouling defense, he is going to be hard to beat.

bballbeachbum
01-09-2015, 11:43 AM
man, this board is a hoot

anyway, Rex pretty much always has his team ready to compete when they face the Zags. I give them and him credit for being competitors and bringing it in those matchups, I've seen many live at War Memorial, and they've shown that nature against the Zags as long as he's been there. Max's LMU teams always had that too imo, not last year, they were ravaged and he played that weak zone thing (waving the white flag), but like USF last night, you could always count on changing Defenses and physical competition underneath, like USF for a while last night.

still, the Zags ground that team into the floor the way a team does when they're that much better, wore them down hard, had tons of open looks throughout the game whether they made or missed them inside and out, and they picked up the defense and rebounding in the second half to do what was asked earlier of them this week, and that is put away an opponent. they responded and ended up blowing them out without actually playing amazingly

no game is ever perfect of course

TheZagPhish
01-09-2015, 11:48 AM
After we've seen what this team is capable of accomplishing, do you think that it's currently living up to it's potential on a consistent level? I say no.

So much better stated than I could have. Thanks!

I get where you guys are coming from, but we're really talking about a spectrum of expectation across the fan base and you've staked out some ground at the high end. "On a consistent level" is your own metric, as is eye test, potential and all the rest. These are esoteric, subjective markers that mostly facilitate good banter. Is the team living up to your (our? its?) expectations? Depends on who you ask.

I sometimes watch games with this guy who is pretty extreme with what he wants from a GU game; it seems that he expects every single trip up the floor to produce a) 2-3 points b) flawless execution c) the other team bested, and c) zero mistakes. He's happy with Zag gameplay when it's going really well (which, thankfully, is often), but he is really upset during rough or quiet stretches, or when the refs are slowing the game. Which is to say that he spends much of the game completely frustrated that it isn't what he thinks it should be -- essentially perfect basketball.

I don't begrudge my friend his view or expectation, I just wonder if he's getting the same enjoyment out of it that I am. Maybe he is.

But for me, just the resident board hippie with low expectations, I come at this like I do Phish concerts:
- First, hope it's not cancelled -- if it's on, woohoo!
- Next, hope for a really an awesome outing but be happy with a good one;
- If it's a rare bad show, remind yourself of the law of averages and how much the good ones outweigh the bad ones; be grateful still;
- Everyone is safe and gets out injury-free;
- Tell colorful stories about the fun having the adventure.

So I'm way lower on the expectation spectrum, but man it's almost perfect from these seats. :-)

BULLDOG#1
01-09-2015, 11:57 AM
I get where you guys are coming from, but we're really talking about a spectrum of expectation across the fan base and you've staked out some ground at the high end. "On a consistent level" is your own metric, as is eye test, potential and all the rest. These are esoteric, subjective markers that mostly facilitate good banter. Is the team living up to your (our? its?) expectations? Depends on who you ask.

I sometimes watch games with this guy who is pretty extreme with what he wants from a GU game; it seems that he expects every single trip up the floor to produce a) 2-3 points b) flawless execution c) the other team bested, and c) zero mistakes. He's happy with Zag gameplay when it's going really well (which, thankfully, is often), but he is really upset during rough or quiet stretches, or when the refs are slowing the game. Which is to say that he spends much of the game completely frustrated that it isn't what he thinks it should be -- essentially perfect basketball.

I don't begrudge my friend his view or expectation, I just wonder if he's getting the same enjoyment out of it that I am. Maybe he is.

But for me, just the resident board hippie with low expectations, I come at this like I do Phish concerts:
- First, hope it's not cancelled -- if it's on, woohoo!
- Next, hope for a really an awesome outing but be happy with a good one;
- If it's a rare bad show, remind yourself of the law of averages and how much the good ones outweigh the bad ones; be grateful still;
- Everyone is safe and gets out injury-free;
- Tell colorful stories about the fun having the adventure.

So I'm way lower on the expectation spectrum, but man it's almost perfect from these seats. :-)

Thanks for the dose of sensibility, Phish.
Killjoy.

titopoet
01-09-2015, 12:01 PM
I see the Zags the way the national media and opposing coaches see them, an absolute match up nightmare. It starts with Shem, a big skilled (very skilled) center with a High IQ. Do you double him, then you have to cover the slashers to the basket like wesley and KD. Do you collapse your whole defense to defend the slashers? With Shems is one of the best big passers and he will get it in the right spot for one of the GU shooters on the outside. If you try to pressure the perimeter guys to limit Shem's touches, then watch out for Pangos and the pick and roll and pick and pops. Wesley didn't have a lot of points because the Dons tried their luck with the GU outside shooters and tried to collapse the D. Maybe, you can do what Arizona tried and play Shem straight up. That wont work as you need someone who can stop Shem. Play Arizona again and watch Shem recognize this and abuse Zeus all night long with layup after layup. The most boring game was WSU try that and it was a night of Shem backing down his man for a lay up after lay up. With the Zags this year, it is truly pick you poison. Few has offense weapons at every position. They play together and as Titus of Grantland fame says, they are Basketball poetry in motion.

GU is legit threat. I still think Kentucky is the team to beat, and there are four others that are elite teams that can play with the wildcats and GU is in that group (Wisconsin, Duke, and Virginia being the others). And there is no team in the Big East that is better. Villanova is the closest, as they do similar as Gu and play through their center Daniel Ochefu, but they are GU lite as Shem is far more skilled than Ochefu.

dan71w
01-09-2015, 12:34 PM
we beat them by 30, and yet still not good enough?:explode:
this team is legit, as any in the nation, even on "off" nights they find ways to put the brick through the net! hell, if we had made the shots in the first had that we NORMALLY do, we would have won by 40-50,,,,,,some i see will always find fault.
jeeeesh sit back enjoy the show, this a rare basketball we are witnessing it is poetry in motion!

gonzagafan62
01-09-2015, 12:41 PM
we beat them by 30, and yet still not good enough?:explode:
this team is legit, as any in the nation, even on "off" nights they find ways to put the brick through the net! hell, if we had made the shots in the first had that we NORMALLY do, we would have won by 40-50,,,,,,some i see will always find fault.
jeeeesh sit back enjoy the show, this a rare basketball we are witnessing it is poetry in motion!

:cheers::000tens:

TheZagPhish
01-09-2015, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the dose of sensibility, Phish.
Killjoy.

:cheers:

maynard g krebs
01-09-2015, 01:44 PM
For 32 minutes, the Zags were uninspired and lethargic offensively and defensively. Lazy passes, slow moving on offense, slow moving and loose defense. Then, it changed. I imagine some forceful comments by the coaches caused an attitude change.

What probably concerns some worried posters is a realization you can't
get away with that from good teams come March.

As Tommy said in the halftime interview, the Zags had a lot of good looks early that didn't go down, and, to paraphrase, they just had to do more of the same to stretch out the lead in the second half. Which is what happened. I doubt it had anything to do with the team getting yelled at.

I saw a lot of beautiful ball movement throughout, and the almost 3/1 team assist/to margin verifies that.

sittingon50
01-09-2015, 02:08 PM
Why is everyone dodging the issue?

It was quite clear that as far as the coaching attire went, this one was a real mismatch.

Reborn
01-09-2015, 04:09 PM
A great thread everyone. Thanks for posting. Some really well thought-out posts with good arguments. I like these kind of threads that have differing points of view. I will say one thing. That as the weeks go by I become more convinced each week that the Zags can beat Kentucky. I never believed that a few weeks ago. Gonzaga is improving, imo, each week and Kentucky is going the other way. Maybe they have already peaked. And we must all remember that that team traveled together this summer and played a half-dozen games around the world while no other team was playing basketball. They came into the season way ahead of other teams. They really should have lost their last game. And I do not see them go undefeated. I also believe that the SEC is really no better then the WCC this year and that will not help them. I do think that Duke is a really good team and would most likely give the Zags the most problems. They have so many great three point shooters, and we know Zags do not do great against teams that can do that (like Wichita St). Virginia is a very good team with great, tough defense, muck like Kentucky. And they may have better shooters. They remind me of Arizona who is a very good team no matter what some others may think. They are vulnerable on the Road because they did not plan to play on the road in their OOC the way Gonzaga did. I believe that the greatest thing the Zags have going for them is how tough their out of conference ROAD schedule was, and how they started conference play with three tough road games in a row. I think we are seeing that what I'm saying is pretty good. Virginia and Duke and certainly Wisconsin are vulnerable on the road.

Go Zags!!!
One game at a time!

DixieZag
01-09-2015, 06:25 PM
As Tommy said in the halftime interview, the Zags had a lot of good looks early that didn't go down, and, to paraphrase, they just had to do more of the same to stretch out the lead in the second half. Which is what happened. I doubt it had anything to do with the team getting yelled at.

I saw a lot of beautiful ball movement throughout, and the almost 3/1 team assist/to margin verifies that.

This.

I think any negative feelings about last night are misplaced attention to some struggles shooting early.

Additionally, early on USF played pretty good Defense, then we figured it out.

There is another team on the floor and they were game for a while.