• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jazzdelmar
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Nunez?

What was Nunez doing? Playing his way back to Washington Hts. I know it's gar-bage time but he was extraordinarily selfish.
  • Martin Centre Mad Man
    Administrator
    • Apr 2009

His rebounding looked great. He had five boards in under three minutes of play which is more than Karnowski grabbed over his last two games. If he could accept a role as a high energy rebounder/defender and not force his role on offense, he could be a very valuable player for this team.

His shot selection left a little to be desired.
    “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

• DZ
      Zag for Life
      • Sep 2007

Me thinks he was playing a little angry.
      Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
      Mark Twain.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
        His rebounding looked great. He had five boards in under three minutes of play which is more than Karnowski grabbed over his last two games. If he could accept a role as a high energy rebounder/defender and not force his role on offense, he could be a very valuable player for this team.

His shot selection left a little to be desired.
        Little, indeed. He was rebounding against USF walk ons.

Comment

• RenoZag
          Super Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Nunez has been reduced to a garbage time player. . .it looks like he's not going to get the minutes that Dranginis, Wesley, and Sabonis are getting.

Maybe there will be a chance for him to shine before the season is done but he looks rusty out there.
          The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• whatazag
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Thought the same thing. Its too bad because he looked really good earlier in the year when he was playing within the confines of the system. He just seemed so desperate to get some points since he hasn't been playing as much, and its really going to have the reverse effect he probably wants.

Comment

• Marcus
              Zag for Life
              • Jan 2013

My impression, he's approaching earning playing time in what he thinks the coaches want to see. Someone who is a valuable scorer who can come in right away and score. He is desperate to show that he can play and score. He's getting in his own way. If he would come in and run the offensive sets properly, that's really what the coaches want. Really, with all the offensive studs this team has, if he could put all his effort into D and rebounding he'd probably get way more playing time.

Comment

• DZ
                Zag for Life
                • Sep 2007

I'm no coach.

But, if Few wants him engaged I would put him in mid-way through the first half against SCU and see how he plays then.

He will likely not see the floor in a while, though.
                Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                Mark Twain.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Marcus View Post
                  My impression, he's approaching earning playing time in what he thinks the coaches want to see. Someone who is a valuable scorer who can come in right away and score. He is desperate to show that he can play and score. He's getting in his own way. If he would come in and run the offensive sets properly, that's really what the coaches want. Really, with all the offensive studs this team has, if he could put all his effort into D and rebounding he'd probably get way more playing time.
                  I think that ship has sailed

Comment

• Martin Centre Mad Man
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2009

Originally posted by RenoZag View Post
                    Nunez has been reduced to a garbage time player. . .it looks like he's not going to get the minutes that Dranginis, Wesley, and Sabonis are getting.

Maybe there will be a chance for him to shine before the season is done but he looks rusty out there.
                    I hope he gets back into the rotation. We will need a viable fourth big man to protect the other bigs from foul trouble, especially in March, when we'll start seeing teams with better front court depth than our WCC foes. He has more than enough talent to contribute. He always rebounds well and he can shoot and handle the ball pretty well for a power forward.

Unless he starts playing more in meaningful game situations, I will cringe if he goes into a tight postseason game. He has not looked comfortable in the offensive flow since the earliest games of the season.
                    “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

• Marcus
                      Zag for Life
                      • Jan 2013

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
                      I think that ship has sailed
                      Probably true, but if he could have figured it out earlier? Who knows??? It doesn't do him any favours however to come in like he did at the end of the game, has the opposite effect in earning playing time. Which is what I think he was trying to do.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Dickau said Nunez had moments of brilliance earlier in the season. Who knew?

Comment

• Zagdawg
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

The way he was playing.....I would be hesitant to put him into a meaningful situation---I think he gave up the ball like 2 times....once when we was falling out of bounds--not much team ball there.

Comment

• Zagricultural
                            Professional Zag Fan
                            • Nov 2012

It was painful & concerning to watch

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Zagricultural View Post
                              It was painful & concerning to watch
                              Agree. Way out of character for a Zag. BW had a lapse of judgment too, failing to feed Melson, as per Foxie, but at least he has earned it.

Comment

Working...
                              X