PDA

View Full Version : Where does Eric McClellan find himself in the rotation?

HenneZag
01-06-2015, 06:31 AM
I am pretty excited and have been anticipating this for awhile now, do we see him on the floor on Thursday night, or is this kind of an ease your way in the rotation.

I have read many positive comments on this board regarding Eric with his speed, and his defense abilities, both in which will benefit us greatly moving forward.

What are your thoughts on Eric, and how do ya'll feel he will fit within the GU system?

Reborn
01-06-2015, 06:35 AM
I think he will come in to give Kevin a breather. We'll see how he does. I hope Silas is still going to be the one who gives Gary some breaks, but Silas could also get minutes for Gary. I don't think Few is all that high on Silas right now. Silas has certainly contributed but has not been knocking down those three's. We'll soon see if McClelland can.

Go Zags!!!

HenneZag
01-06-2015, 06:40 AM
I think Silas will be great in time, he seems tentative when attacking, other than the dunk vs. BYU. But I think he will come around nicely with more experience.

So McClellan will most likely spell Pangos, a completely different PG, should be interesting

bartruff1
01-06-2015, 06:46 AM
Silas is the future..... McClellan is now....he is a experienced and accomplished player...based upon his performance at D1 level..... I suspect he will make a significant positive impact in just a few games...

This is his third team and hopefully he is comfortable and eager to go...

rennis
01-06-2015, 07:07 AM
EM is a point guard right? If he's going to contribute right away, Kevin sure could use some help at the point, both for breathers and to play off the ball and get into some more set plays for open 3s.

Much excite!

DixieZag
01-06-2015, 07:37 AM
I wonder if y'all think he might spell Wesley a little, too - IF, he comes in playing crazed defense, he might garner more playing time by also spelling Wes?

jpwils
01-06-2015, 08:01 AM
I wonder if y'all think he might spell Wesley a little, too - IF, he comes in playing crazed defense, he might garner more playing time by also spelling Wes?

Eric has some skills and is already able to score and defend. Assuming he comes in for Pangos or Bell, he can provide a way to get Pangos some looks, and possibly spell Wesley as well. Dranginis is playing well , too. So Eric's minutes will probably come from giving Pangos a breather and whenever Few feels he brings more to the party than a tentative Melson. But whether he can knock down 3's is a big question mark...so Melson still may get some run. It will be nice to have choices and reduce the chance of injury to Pangos and Bell. Go Zags!

cjm720
01-06-2015, 08:10 AM
I see McC being the first option to spell Pangos, Bell, and Wesley...if at the 3, we play small ball and Pangos moves to the 2. Less time for Silas, and maybe no time for him after Perks comes back. Tough RS burn IMO. Draginis slightly less time too.

Pretty pumped to see his motor.

GoZags
01-06-2015, 08:56 AM
I see McC being the first option to spell Pangos, Bell, and Wesley...if at the 3, we play small ball and Pangos moves to the 2. Less time for Silas, and maybe no time for him after Perks comes back. Tough RS burn IMO. Draginis slightly less time too.

Strongly disagree (my opinion).

Silas is MUCH better off having played this season. He will hit the floor running next season (no Pangos, no Bell). In addition ... it is STILL my belief that Silas Melson will be instrumental in winning a big game (or two) THIS season.

I just don't see how the word "burn" can be used in this situation (again ... my opinion).

basketballzag
01-06-2015, 08:57 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24936817/gonzaga-adding-vanderbilt-transfer-eric-mcclellan-to-roster-on-thursday

Here is the role Few sees him playing.

Hoopaholic
01-06-2015, 09:22 AM

disappointing that some see him getting time over Draino who has put together a remarkable, unselfish team effort to date.....

Mr Vulture
01-06-2015, 09:34 AM
Coach Few has already said the McClellan will give Pangos rest at the point guard position and also allow Kevin to slide off the ball. He also stated that he thinks EM is going to be a huge help defensively when GBJ is out of the game. He stated that most of the runs have come when GBJ had to come out. I don't think EM gets much play at the 3 spot but I think he will get a solid 15-20 minutes a game. EM's presence likely won't cut down on the minutes of Dranginis much but I do think we won't see much of Melson moving forward in competitive games. Perkins is unlikely to come back this year so I would imagine they try to get him a medical RS.

john montana
01-06-2015, 09:39 AM
disappointing that some see him getting time over Draino who has put together a remarkable, unselfish team effort to date.....

No way he takes KD's minutes. KD has been too good. I'm with you.

cjm720
01-06-2015, 09:49 AM

There are only 200 minutes to spread.

cjm720
01-06-2015, 09:54 AM

Silas is MUCH better off having played this season. He will hit the floor running next season (no Pangos, no Bell). In addition ... it is STILL my belief that Silas Melson will be instrumental in winning a big game (or two) THIS season.

I just don't see how the word "burn" can be used in this situation (again ... my opinion).

Sure he'll be better off next year with some experience this year, but we'll have one less year of him. He's averaging 11 minutes a game now and two other players that IMO are likely more ready to play will soon be available (EM and Perks)...his 11 minutes will dwindle. I'm a big fan of red shirts and Silas was a perfect candidate.

RenoZag
01-06-2015, 10:08 AM
Anxious to see how the addition of Mr. McClellan to the array of line-up combos plays out the rest of the year. I don't think we'll get a fast (or easy) answer. The coaches have seen his talents in practice and now the fans will get to see him in the games. Hoping his debut is smooth as a Karnowski three pointer !

HenneZag
01-06-2015, 10:22 AM
Anxious to see how the addition of Mr. McClellan to the array of line-up combos plays out the rest of the year. I don't think we'll get a fast (or easy) answer. The coaches have seen his talents in practice and now the fans will get to see him in the games. Hoping his debut is smooth as a Karnowski three pointer !

Well said.

Sometimes in these situations I come in with tempered expectations, because we've had transfers come in and both exceed and under achieve expectations. I have a good feeling about EM. Hopefully thursday we get to see some action from him.

dadair
01-06-2015, 10:25 AM
I understand that we're going to need Silas next year so it won't happen, but do the rules prevent him from taking another redshirt year?

ZagaZags
01-06-2015, 11:22 AM
I understand that we're going to need Silas next year so it won't happen, but do the rules prevent him from taking another redshirt year?

You are correct, it won't happen. The answer to your other question is "yes" he could take a redshirt next year. ( Not going to happen )

TheGonzagaFactor
01-06-2015, 11:30 AM

He hasn't taken a redshirt year yet. He can absolutely take one, but of course it'd be totally senseless with Pangos/Bell graduating.

VinnyZag
01-06-2015, 12:02 PM
Meehan just tweeted this:

Jim Meehan @SRJimm
Just spoke to Eric McClellan, he's not sure if he'll play Thursday. Foot injury, has had X-rays, will know more Wednesday. Took Tuesday off.

Sigh.

HenneZag
01-06-2015, 12:05 PM

Sigh.

Damn!

dnj116
01-06-2015, 12:12 PM

Sigh.

Well, that sucks.

Bogozags
01-06-2015, 02:29 PM
Well, If he is unable to play this Thursday, I just hope when he does play that he runs the point smoothly. If he can run it smoothly, then Red Shirting Perkins becomes and easier decision for both the staff and Perkins. It would be nice for him to be able to red shirt this year, get his strength back and kick some tail next season...again, that is if Eric can be the man for Pangos...would love to watch him play with GBJ, KP and BW...especially when we play WCC schools...

I am sorry, but we are really good this year...have drunk my kool aid for the day...

willandi
01-06-2015, 06:56 PM
http://www.swxrightnow.com/story/27777428/mcclellan-ready-to-put-the-past-behind-him-on-the-court

ZagNative
01-06-2015, 07:14 PM
Thanks for posting that link, Willandi! I enjoyed it.

Virginia Zags Fan
01-06-2015, 07:24 PM
Very nice interview. I wish Eric the best and am really excited to see him on the floor. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DixieZag
01-06-2015, 07:33 PM
http://www.swxrightnow.com/story/27777428/mcclellan-ready-to-put-the-past-behind-him-on-the-court

Just so people know. The above link is an SWX article/interview on where McClennan's head is - how he is approaching the opportunity, how hard it's been, etc.

Sometimes I find that I don't click bare links that there's nothing about what the article entails.

Thanks for the link Will.

zagamatic
01-06-2015, 11:37 PM
I've heard several people say that they think that Perkins may redshirt the rest of this year. As a reminder, I believe that the rules state that it has to be a season ending injury. In other words, if a doctor says he can play but chooses not to (conditioning, weight loss, fear of re-injury) that he will not get a redshirt year unless the NCAA grants him a special waiver. And as bad as his jaw injury was, I could see him being cleared to play relatively soon. Keep in mind that I doubt that the NCAA could care less about the conditioning/weight loss. All that they care about is whether the Dr says yes or no, not how well he can play.

jazzdelmar
01-07-2015, 05:30 AM
I've heard several people say that they think that Perkins may redshirt the rest of this year. As a reminder, I believe that the rules state that it has to be a season ending injury. In other words, if a doctor says he can play but chooses not to (conditioning, weight loss, fear of re-injury) that he will not get a redshirt year unless the NCAA grants him a special waiver. And as bad as his jaw injury was, I could see him being cleared to play relatively soon. Keep in mind that I doubt that the NCAA could care less about the conditioning/weight loss. All that they care about is whether the Dr says yes or no, not how well he can play.

i recall one post from someone close to the jenks family that indicated he wd not consider redshirting and it was implied his plan is to get to the pros asap, with no clear indication of how many yrs in all he wd be at gu.

MileHigh
01-07-2015, 05:49 AM
Just to be clear, what I posted was that Josh does not want to stay in college a 5th year. He is looking at getting his degree in 4 years or less and them moving on to the next stage in life, whatever that may be. Whether he takes a medical redshirt will be determined by the doctors, if they say he can play he will play. If they say he cant then he will sit and if he is eligible for the medical hardship he will likely apply for it. Thats a no brainer.

The log jam for minutes at the guard spot is something the coaches are going to have to figure out though. You really cant play 5 guys at two spots and keep everyone happy

jazzdelmar
01-07-2015, 05:52 AM
Just to be clear, what I posted was that Josh does not want to stay in college a 5th year. He is looking at getting his degree in 4 years or less and them moving on to the next stage in life, whatever that may be. Whether he takes a medical redshirt will be determined by the doctors, if they say he can play he will play. If they say he cant then he will sit and if he is eligible for the medical hardship he will likely apply for it. Thats a no brainer.

The log jam for minutes at the guard spot is something the coaches are going to have to figure out though. You really cant play 5 guys at two spots and keep everyone happy

Thanks for the clarification....your last comment seems rife with speculation, though.

MileHigh
01-07-2015, 06:36 AM
Thanks for the clarification....your last comment seems rife with speculation, though.

speculating on what?

Zagcity
01-07-2015, 06:44 AM
speculating on what?

That's just Jazz and his way of stirring the drink... ;)

jazzdelmar
01-07-2015, 07:23 AM
That's just Jazz and his way of stirring the drink... ;)

Quote: "The log jam for minutes at the guard spot is something the coaches are going to have to figure out though. You really cant play 5 guys at two spots and keep everyone happy"

You don't see anything here to wonder about? "Keep everyone happy," who is not happy or who will not be happy? Etc.

cjm720
01-07-2015, 07:39 AM
Quote: "The log jam for minutes at the guard spot is something the coaches are going to have to figure out though. You really cant play 5 guys at two spots and keep everyone happy"

You don't see anything here to wonder about? "Keep everyone happy," who is not happy or who will not be happy? Etc.

It's not rocket science!

hondo
01-07-2015, 07:44 AM
I don't think it is speculation to assume that basketball players want to play. Everybody who loves the game wants to play if they are able.

MileHigh
01-07-2015, 07:59 AM
I don't think it is speculation to assume that basketball players want to play. Everybody who loves the game wants to play if they are able.

Exactly. Show me a D1 kid that's happy riding the pine and Ill show you a kid that will likely never be successful at that level

3zagda
01-07-2015, 08:41 AM
Thanks for the info.
So did Josh see the oral surgeon yesterday? Did they take the arch bars off? Do we have any idea when he will be able to practice?

Zagceo
01-07-2015, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the info.
So did Josh see the oral surgeon yesterday? Did they take the arch bars off? Do we have any idea when he will be able to practice?

LINK to answer (http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?51484-Any-news-on-Perkins&p=1068646#post1068646)

bartruff1
01-07-2015, 10:10 AM
Exactly. Show me a D1 kid that's happy riding the pine and Ill show you a kid that will likely never be successful at that level

If they are not happy, they should go someplace where they might be...the best players are going to play...keeping people happy is a fools errand , Few is no fool.

roxdoc
01-07-2015, 10:17 AM
Next year there will be 3 people for 2 positions

sittingon50
01-07-2015, 10:22 AM
I smell tacos.

gonzagafan62
01-07-2015, 10:31 AM
Next year there will be 3 people for 2 positions

McClellan is a good backup to have. Perkins and Melson are the future. They will start over McClellan IMO

gbnyba17
01-07-2015, 11:25 AM
With Perkins getting the bars off, I would think he is close to being medically cleared. Even if he needs 2 more weeks to get his strength and conditioning back, that would put his return at the St Marys game on 1/22. That leaves 12 regular season games left, WCC tourney, and NCAA tourney. I don't know anything about the time table of his return, but does what I just said seem reasonable and if so why would he even consider redshirting? There's a lot of season left!

Angelo Roncalli
01-07-2015, 11:53 AM
With Perkins getting the bars off, I would think he is close to being medically cleared. Even if he needs 2 more weeks to get his strength and conditioning back, that would put his return at the St Marys game on 1/22. That leaves 12 regular season games left, WCC tourney, and NCAA tourney. I don't know anything about the time table of his return, but does what I just said seem reasonable and if so why would he even consider redshirting? There's a lot of season left!

He played this season, therefore he cannot redshirt this year. As someone explained in another thread, he may be eligible for a medical waiver, but only if his physician certifies that his injury was a season ending injury. Thus, if he's medically cleared before the season ends, he cannot obtain a medical waiver and the season will count as one of his four seasons of eligibility.

CDC84
01-07-2015, 12:18 PM
I don't think it's just about getting his strength and conditioning back. He also has to be be cleared for physical contact.

MileHigh
01-07-2015, 12:18 PM
If they are not happy, they should go someplace where they might be...the best players are going to play...keeping people happy is a fools errand , Few is no fool.

When I suggested that staff had to try and keep all 5 "happy" it had more to do with team morale and making sure guys were confident and ready when called upon then suggesting they should transfer.

Why the heck would Melson or Perkins go someplace else when they are likely to be starters at Gonzaga next year

MileHigh
01-07-2015, 12:21 PM
From what I have heard about McCllelen, it will be damn near impossible not to start him next year. Long and athletic, and by far (I'm told) the best perimeter defender on the squad

gonstu
01-07-2015, 12:33 PM
From what I have heard about McCllelen, it will be damn near impossible not to start him next year. Long and athletic, and by far (I'm told) the best perimeter defender on the squad

Nice to hear! I hope we get to see both (JP & EM) on the court this year. Thanks for your insight.

3zagda
01-07-2015, 02:32 PM
Any more known about EM's injury? I sure hope he can play tomorrow.

CDC84
01-07-2015, 02:37 PM
He's out the next two weeks:

https://twitter.com/SRJimm/status/552963521344839680

McClellan (foot) will sit out next two weeks, according to Few

GoZags
01-07-2015, 02:53 PM

I've heard pretty much the same thing (albeit from a source not as good as "other" sources).

Zagdawg
06-01-2015, 09:32 AM
Eric McClellan ‏@EasyMcClellan 9m9 minutes ago
Last day in Austin! Man, it's been a blast with all my friends & family. Next stop.. Poland. Where's my boy @PKarnowski

Eric McClellan ‏@EasyMcClellan 5m5 minutes ago
@PKarnowski ����you got it, boss. When do you go back home??

Przemek Karnowski ‏@PKarnowski 5m5 minutes ago
@EasyMcClellan not sure yet, beginning on July I believe

ZagaZags
06-03-2015, 01:22 AM
GU has 5 players for 3 positions next season. Perkins, McClellan, Melson, Alberts and Dranginis. That is 120 minutes per game for 5 players. I can see Perkins getting 30-34 mpg, that leaves 86-90 minutes for the other 4 players.

GU has 4 players to share 80 minutes for 2 positions. Karnowski will get 26-30 mpg and Wiltjer should get 29-32 mpg, that would leave 18-25 mpg for Sabonis and Edwards. Ryan will need to be patient next season, he will shine his last 2 seasons.
If GU lands another recruit for 2015, I cant see how that player would ever see the court.

Gonzaga is solid with guards for the next 3 seasons.

Now that we know we only have Josh Perkins for 3 more seasons, Silas Melson, NWG & Perkins will all be gone after the 2017-2018 season. ( If not sooner.) Gonzaga will need to focus on another PG to join Jesse Wade and a SG to backup Bryan Alberts. Keep your fingers crossed for another athletic wing next year.

jazzdelmar
06-03-2015, 03:49 AM
GU has 5 players for 3 positions next season. Perkins, McClellan, Melson, Alberts and Dranginis. That is 120 minutes per game for 5 players. I can see Perkins getting 30-34 mpg, that leaves 86-90 minutes for the other 4 players.

GU has 4 players to share 80 minutes for 2 positions. Karnowski will get 26-30 mpg and Wiltjer should get 29-32 mpg, that would leave 18-25 mpg for Sabonis and Edwards. Ryan will need to be patient next season, he will shine his last 2 seasons.
If GU lands another recruit for 2015, I cant see how that player would ever see the court.

Now that we know we only have Josh Perkins for 3 more seasons, Silas Melson, NWG & Perkins will all be gone after the 2017-2018 season. ( If not sooner.) Gonzaga will need to focus on another PG to join Jesse Wade and a SG to backup Bryan Alberts. Keep your fingers crossed for another athletic wing next year.

ZZ, if the Bonus gets circa 18 minutes a game next season it will be a high crime and misdemeanor ..... not to mention insane.

PS: Why do we know JP has only 3 more?

gonzagafan62
06-03-2015, 05:55 AM

He didn't get his medical redshirt? What is going on here?

DixieZag
06-03-2015, 05:59 AM

News to me.

Did someone confirm that?

And, fwiw, I'm in Jazz's camp, if Sabonis isn't in the game more often than not, it's a gift to the other team.

willandi
06-03-2015, 06:35 AM
In my limited experience, they (NCAA) don't usually grant the medical RS until the end of a players carreer. There is no reason to think Perkins would not be granted one, but we won't know until senior (or later) year. At least that is what I have seen...ala Nunez.

kitzbuel
06-03-2015, 07:00 AM

Last I saw he qualified for a medical redshirt: '...he hasn’t been cleared for contact and will qualify for a redshirt season.'
http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/ncaa-tournament/gonzaga-guard-josh-perkins-stays-positive-despite-lost-season/?syndication=rss

CDC84
06-03-2015, 07:09 AM
Josh was cleared for contact in April. Said so via Twitter.

jazzdelmar
06-03-2015, 07:14 AM
News to me.

Did someone confirm that?

And, fwiw, I'm in Jazz's camp, if Sabonis isn't in the game more often than not, it's a gift to the other team.

Dix, that's a creative way to put it....Kudos....

CDC84
06-03-2015, 07:22 AM
In my limited experience, they (NCAA) don't usually grant the medical RS until the end of a players carreer. There is no reason to think Perkins would not be granted one, but we won't know until senior (or later) year.

New Mexico freshman guard (now redshirt freshman guard) Cullen Neal was granted a medical redshirt in April:

http://www.mwcconnection.com/2015/4/24/8448779/new-mexico-basketball-cullen-neal-granted-medical-redshirt

The way things usually go, the Zags aren't likely to put out an official announcement. You probably won't see "Josh Perkins RS-F" until the roster is updated on the athletics page.

TheGonzagaFactor
06-03-2015, 07:38 AM

I don't think Wiltjer or Karno's minutes will go up. I think the distribution of PT among the bigs will be very close to what it was this past year (Wiltjer 27, Karno 25, Sabonis 22). I think the 3 main bigs will get around 25 mpg with Edwards at 5-10.

IowaSERE
06-03-2015, 07:46 AM
I think that we will see Karnos minutes drop off this year so that he can stay fresh. We didn't have a true C last year as backup. There will be many blow outs this year and I would like to see him get around 20 min in those games and 25 in the close games. Kyle should get 25-30 min every game as he will be our go to scorer. I really want to see Sabonis on the court for at least 25 min a game. He brings so many intangibles to the court. That should leave 10-15 min for Edwards unless the game is close and there is no foul trouble. I don't see him getting much more that 5 min in contested games, most of them coming at the end of the game where his FT shooting will be a huge asset.

Mr Vulture
06-03-2015, 08:23 AM
The minutes is not a major concern. First of, Perkins likely plays 30 minutes at the top end. Melson and McClellan will split the other roughly 50 minutes of time with Melson likely the starter and McClellan moving between the two positions. Karno will start but will not play more than 20-25 minutes a game and Wiltjer will play roughly 30 minutes a game. That leaves 25-30 minutes of playing time. Figure Sabonis plays 20-25 minutes and Edwards gets 5-10 depending on foul trouble. As for the wing position...I'd imagine its a fairly even split in time there with Dranginis likely getting slightly more play than Alberts.

As far as Perkins goes, he was already approved for the medical redshirt from what I read although I doubt he stays four more years to be honest.

zagsfanforlife
06-03-2015, 09:02 AM
The minutes is not a major concern. First of, Perkins likely plays 30 minutes at the top end. Melson and McClellan will split the other roughly 50 minutes of time with Melson likely the starter and McClellan moving between the two positions. Karno will start but will not play more than 20-25 minutes a game and Wiltjer will play roughly 30 minutes a game. That leaves 25-30 minutes of playing time. Figure Sabonis plays 20-25 minutes and Edwards gets 5-10 depending on foul trouble. As for the wing position...I'd imagine its a fairly even split in time there with Dranginis likely getting slightly more play than Alberts.

As far as Perkins goes, he was already approved for the medical redshirt from what I read although I doubt he stays four more years to be honest.

If we dont recruit another guard (1 or 2) who can play spotty minutes for next year, you better pray that we dont get 1 or 2 injuries, ala Josh last year.

That would Leave 4 guys for 3 positions and backups. Thats not easy. As a former college assistant, i would be SHOCKED if at least one more guard is not added for depth.

Mr Vulture
06-03-2015, 10:05 AM
I'm not sure why you are quoting me on this?? I never said a word about incoming players...I simply addressed the original poster in regards to their concern about too many players for the minutes. I fully expect they will add two more players this cycle as it is rare to go without a full roster of players. Not to mention that they lose four seniors after this season.

If we dont recruit another guard (1 or 2) who can play spotty minutes for next year, you better pray that we dont get 1 or 2 injuries, ala Josh last year.

That would Leave 4 guys for 3 positions and backups. Thats not easy. As a former college assistant, i would be SHOCKED if at least one more guard is not added for depth.

zagsfanforlife
06-03-2015, 10:14 AM
I'm not sure why you are quoting me on this?? I never said a word about incoming players...I simply addressed the original poster in regards to their concern about too many players for the minutes. I fully expect they will add two more players this cycle as it is rare to go without a full roster of players. Not to mention that they lose four seniors after this season.

I just clicked the wrong button. Damn, some people take things pretty seriously around here.

Bogozags
06-03-2015, 10:34 AM
Who really knows what will happen in November regarding how much playing time McClellan earns...he might be a starter as Coach Few likes using two PGs at the same time. He is one of the top two defenders on the team, KD being the other IMO...
Eric, Jenks or Melson will be starters for the PG/SG positions. Which ones will start? I think the PG position is Jenks to lose and depending on how Melson/McClellan play in the first few games will determine which one starts. In fact, KD would also have to be factored into those positions as well...KD, Jenks and McClellan are all capable of playing PG and depending on who plays in the front court, we may only play two guards at a time. Lot's of options BUT truly hope/pray we remain injury free for the season...

We lose four players (three starters) from a ten man rotation, add three players (Jenks, Edwards and Alberts) with limited to no D1 experience and this team is a definite TOP Ten team!

hooter73
06-03-2015, 10:44 AM
Counting the wing, we've 5 guards for 3 spots and 4 bigs for 2 spots, which is perfect considering the relative youth we have on this team. The guards, well some are young and some are streaky. Add in matchups and fouls and whos "on" or "off" that night and 5 for 3 is great. Sabonis may or may not be a fouling machine in his exuberant style of play and even the seasoned Karno last year racked up more than a few too many in a couple games. This rotation will ensure security at each spot without ever fear of getting too thin.

Now I was not one to focus on the leadership factor much in years past but we may actually have a deficit of that right now, through no fault of the players. Pangos and Bell just gave so much of that for so long that no one else needed to. Right now I see a team of weapons. The young guys are young. Even if they are good leaders, they are inexperienced on this level. KW will be focused on scoring, not in a bad way, but he came back to improve his stats and get wins the way he knows how to, by out scoring the other team. Dranginis has always been a team guy or else he would have transferred. Karno, well he is a rock. A foundation, but a team leader? I just dont know if thats in him or his style. Eric McClellan will be considered an upper classman but he is still trying to find out where he fits in, and that might not mean being ready to take the bull by the horns and lead this team of guys that has been together longer than he has. I dont count him out though. I'm betting he will be the one we hear about in snippets of coaches interviews on who has stepped up as the leader of this new iteration of the team.

seacatfan
06-03-2015, 10:56 AM
Of course a devastating injury like Perkins' last year would throw a monkey wrench in everything. That was pretty fluky, can't really expect something similar.

It's a bit of a conundrum. Some want another guard for depth who is good enough to not have a major drop off if he's required to play significant minutes if needed, yet is content to barely play most of the time. You really think there's anyone out there fitting that bill? Good luck with that.

Who is Jenks? Let it go, not his name, never was, never will be, ridiculous nickname based off of nothing.

DixieZag
06-03-2015, 11:12 AM
Dix, that's a creative way to put it....Kudos....

Well, I've had a lot of practice at having to..ahem, *cough* , come up with ways of stating that the team's best player needs to be playing.

seacatfan
06-03-2015, 11:32 AM
When Sabonis has a 40+ point scoring outburst, can hit shots from anywhere past halfcourt and hits 5 or 6 or more 3's in a game, then I might be convinced he's the best player on the team. Until then, there's this other guy...

That and maybe if he learns how to pass and facilitate the offense the way Karno does.

MDABE80
06-03-2015, 11:36 AM
There is simply no question the EMAC sill start and probably get a lot of minute with Dranginis and Jenks/Perks. Nuts to let a guy like that sit in favor of inexperience freshman/soph with little to no playing time. I'd imagine him and Dranginis will be the back court leaders.

Mr Vulture
06-03-2015, 11:44 AM
LOL...it's because we get attacked when we do the same thing...

I just clicked the wrong button. Damn, some people take things pretty seriously around here.

Mr Vulture
06-03-2015, 11:45 AM
I'd take that bet...I think that Perkins/Melson/Dranginis start at the 1-3 spots and McClellan comes off the bench for either Melson or Perkins depending on the game situation.

There is simply no question the EMAC sill start and probably get a lot of minute with Dranginis and Jenks/Perks. Nuts to let a guy like that sit in favor of inexperience freshman/soph with little to no playing time. I'd imagine him and Dranginis will be the back court leaders.

ZagaZags
06-03-2015, 12:03 PM
ZZ, if the Bonus gets circa 18 minutes a game next season it will be a high crime and misdemeanor ..... not to mention insane.

PS: Why do we know JP has only 3 more?

I see Sabonis getting about 25-28 mpg. I was just pointing out that Edwards needs to be patient. The load of the minutes will be going to Karno, Wiltjer and Sabonis.

As far as Perkins goes, I never said he wasn't getting a medical redshirt. MileHigh informed us, Josh will not be at GU for 5 years.

MileHigh 01-07-2015, 05:49 AM

SteelZag
06-03-2015, 12:22 PM
I'd take that bet...I think that Perkins/Melson/Dranginis start at the 1-3 spots and McClellan comes off the bench for either Melson or Perkins depending on the game situation.

I'm sold on Perkins, Melson and KD for starters with EM subbing for Josh or Silas. Added depth could be a competent incoming frosh combo guard who is willing to RS. I'm thinking if a player is out for 4-6 games Few would try to get by with four guards. If a season ending injury were to occur, the freshman could burn his RS and get plenty of minutes.

zag67
06-03-2015, 01:41 PM
I see Perkins, Dranginis, and Melson/McClellan starting at the guard positions. Then whichever does not start and Alberts getting major minutes. I see Perkins about 28, Dranginis about 26, McClellan about 24, Melson 22, and Alberts 20. But those change game to game depending on matchups and fouls. I also think that if we do not get another guard, then Triano maybe a backup if we have a major injury. Also if you look at next year with Nigel or board, we are not in trouble. The following year (not losing anyone if they do not go early) we then get Wade. Most players that me might want would not want to redshirt one year or sit on the bench.

ProjectMKUltra5
06-03-2015, 02:57 PM
Of course a devastating injury like Perkins' last year would throw a monkey wrench in everything. That was pretty fluky, can't really expect something similar.

It's a bit of a conundrum. Some want another guard for depth who is good enough to not have a major drop off if he's required to play significant minutes if needed, yet is content to barely play most of the time. You really think there's anyone out there fitting that bill? Good luck with that.

Who is Jenks? Let it go, not his name, never was, never will be, ridiculous nickname based off of nothing.

That's why I think Mussini is so important. He's a decent talent who would be perfect for that role. As good as you can reasonably expect from a young kid who's likely just a insurance plan imo.

MDABE80
06-03-2015, 04:03 PM
Outside of two very good performers ( Dranginis and EMAC) there is hardly any experience. Silas only saw limited time. Perks and Alberts didn't either. o

When it comes to experience and performance ( Both Drang and Emac are tough defenders....maybe the best with Bell jr gone). Both very good scorers too........especially EMAC. As many know, I'm sold on defense. Experience, defense and scoring favors the veterans. Both size and speed.
But things do hange as the season rolls on. Few makes the call. Tough problem to have with all this talent.
What I don't seriously understand is why the media is treating us as if the cuboards are barren with Kevin, et all gone. far form it.
We may not go quite as far as the E eight this year..........but I don't doubt the talent is Swt 16 caliber.

As too, it really doesn't matter who starts......everyone is shuffled in and get plenty of minutes depending on the opponent and how any given game goes.

bartruff1
06-03-2015, 05:07 PM
starting

zag67
06-03-2015, 05:54 PM
starters:
Perkins
Dranginis
Karnowski
Wiltjer
McClellan

Major minutes for Melson, Sabonis, and Alberts

I think that Melson might be better coming off the bench because he would be instant offense and he can watch the game to understand the refs and the player that he will be guarding.

Sabonis playing the same role he did last year only getting more minutes. Edwards will get a minor set of the minutes, but will be ready if we get into foul trouble. Also with the schedule we have at the beginning of the season, I think he will be necessary.

I think that the guard defense is going to be fun to watch. All of them look like they will pressure the other guards and have the height not to be posted up. This team will be able to share the duties on making sure that the opposing top scorer(s) has to work hard at both ends of the court for the whole game. We might not win the first half, but will wear them down.

cggonzaga
06-03-2015, 08:04 PM
I agree with Vulture and Steel. I like EMac off the bench cause he can play the 1-3. I think those 4 guards get major minutes with Alberts used as needed. Keep in mind Alberts hasn't played a ton of game hoops the past 3 years.