PDA

View Full Version : Postgame radio GU-Portland

Section 116
01-03-2015, 09:11 PM
Hudson:

Not as easy as it seemed it might be. GU led wire to wire and by as many as 21 but all of a sudden the Pilots went on a 15-1 run. But when it was down to 5, Kevin Pangos put the team on his shoulders. The two three pointers from the corner were huge. Karnowski and Pangos with 21, Bell with 12, Wesley 10. GU shoots 57% from Field.

Portland shot 57% in the second half, 47% for the game. Wintering 20, Van der Mars 17 Credit to the Pilots for playing hard. They were a miss or two away from making things REALLY interesting! GU off to a great start in game 7-0 to open game, then 15-4 hitting 7 of first 10 shots. Pulled away steadily in the first half leading by 15 at half.

GU pushed lead in the second half and looked like they were going to deliver the knockout punch, which was when Karnowski hit the three thinking the shot clock was at 2, but GU probably eased up at that point which was when Portland went on the 15-1 run because Portland played harder and GU took their foot off the gas. The lead was cut to 7 with 7:30 to play and they had multiple chances to cut it to five. The Zags finally pushed it to 74-64 but Portland went on a run to cut it to 75-70, Karnowksi knocking the ball away from Van der Mars and the Zags converting on that turnover was big. And then the Zags passed the free throw challenge as Pangos closed out the game.

Dranginis is like the insurance policy. When Bell picks up the fouls Dranginis comes in plays defense, tips out rebounds. Has 6 points, 4 rebounds, an assist and a block. Wiltjer only 8 points, 3-10 from the floor.

Wiltjer didn't have a good return home. Santangelo thinks the Pilots saw something on film where they sent their bigs right at him and kind of took him out of his game. Zags win rebounding 33-29. Wintering 16 in the second half.

Daniels:

Our guys weathered the storm, they (Portland) have a good team, they have a lot of good guys. Good thing for our veteran leadership. It was a good game from the standpoint of it's our last road game for a while. We call the end of the game winning time ( you can call it that when you win, Daniels laughs).

We just wanted to get out of here with a win. We've pretty much been on the road since Arizona. Kyle just didn't get it going tonight, but Few told him he can always contribute with his defense and Kyle understands that. We look forward to going home. We won't win because we're home. USF always gives us trouble at home, but we are excited to be at home, even though the students aren't there yet.

Pangos:

We seem to slack off lately when we get the big lead. When we're up by 20 we need to get it up to 25-30. Not sure why we take our foot off the gas.

We have played well for the most part, not sure what happens when we slack off in the second half. Shem played great and I was more aggressive at the end.

I don't care what other people say about my basketball, I'm the point guard of a winning team and as long as we are winning that is all that matters to me. We have plenty of guys to pick up the slack, like when Kyle didn't have a great game tonight. And then somebody inadvertently pulled the plug. I think Pangos was about done then but if he comes back on I'll add it here!

P.S.

Santangelo and Hudson named Karnowski player of the game but they couldn't decide whether they like his three point shot or his poke away of the ball from Van der Mars as their favorite play.

caduceus
01-03-2015, 09:15 PM
Thanks 116! 👍

RenoZag
01-03-2015, 09:17 PM
Thank you, as aways, for the radio recap, 116

bartruff1
01-03-2015, 09:20 PM
Favorite post game thread...thanks...

DixieZag
01-03-2015, 09:25 PM
It really has been a while since a home game. I think that might take care of a lot of things.

ZagLawGrad
01-03-2015, 09:36 PM
Thanks 116

Mantua
01-03-2015, 09:41 PM
I forgot to listen so this is a godsend!

I would like to have Hudson do a seminar on Gonzaga's Second Halves.

WallaWallaZag
01-03-2015, 10:10 PM
Pangos: We seem to slack off lately when we get the big lead. When we're up by 20 we need to get it up to 25-30. Not sure why we take our foot off the gas.

as the senior point guard leader on the team, pangos needs to find a way to fix this before it eventually bites them in the butt...maybe he could try taking over the game a little earlier instead of waiting until it get too close for comfort. i think the whole team would follow his lead if he upped his game once an opponent started making a run.

RenoZag
01-03-2015, 10:19 PM
Zags need to be inglorious bast@rds when they get large leads and pound the opponents into kitty litter

HillBillyZag
01-03-2015, 11:14 PM
Dranginis is arguably the best non starting player in the W.C.C. On a team like Portland he would be playing thirty minutes and averaging a double double.

bballbeachbum
01-04-2015, 06:15 PM
thanks 116

OZZY
01-05-2015, 02:04 AM
thanks 116

+1000 provides more insight for those far away.

BULLDOG#1
01-05-2015, 10:43 AM
Dranginis is arguably the best non starting player in the W.C.C. On a team like Portland he would be playing thirty minutes and averaging a double double.

completely agree.
Sabonis would probably start on any other WCC team as well.