PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs Portland Post game thoughts

Reborn
01-03-2015, 08:02 PM
Pretty much like I thought it would be. close but we'd hold on for the win. I had Gonzaga by 13. They won 87-75.

Portland shot the eyes out of the basket the second half of the second half. Karnowski played great with 21, and Pangos held it all together when Portland got the lead down to five by hitting several shots in a row. Kevin finished with 21 points as well, getting six free throws at the end of the game to seal the victory. Gary Bell was playing very good tonight but once again he got into foul trouble and sat out a lot. He was very ineffective the second half due to foul trouble. He finished with 12 points, all in the first half. I love Karnowski's game though because he's such a great passer. He made his first three of his career, and he was way out there. Zags had the ball out of bounds and PK thought there was only two seconds left; so he hoisted up a long three and made it. He was also pretty good from the line. He made two of three. I think Mark Few should leave him in at the end of games. He's become on of our most valuable player. When Few would take him out, Portland would go on a run. Sabonis is not even close to PK in terms of effectiveness, on both ends of the court.

As in the San Diego game, I felt certain players really didn't bring it. I think some of the new players are not used to playing WCC teams.
I DID NOT like the way Few coached tonight. I thought his substitutions were lousy, and I know some of you will disagree. I thought Dranginis was great again off the bench and I would have liked to see him play more. Kyle Dranginis has been playing so well lately. Oh well. I'm not the coach. It was a good game, especially at the end. Got me adrenalin going.

Gonzaga plays San Francisco next at home next Thursday. I'm sure they'll be glad to finally get to play at home in K2.
Go Zags!!!
One game at a time!

LongIslandZagFan
01-03-2015, 08:03 PM
Karnowski hit a 3. Life is complete.

seacatfan
01-03-2015, 08:19 PM
Bell had 10 at the half, scored on a nice drive early in the 2nd half, then basically didn't play the rest of the game after picking foul #3 and #4 quickly. At least 1 of the fouls in each half looked bogus. It's pretty irritating seeing Gary being taken out of the game like that.

DixieZag
01-03-2015, 08:34 PM

And, his form was so perfect, the shot, so pure, that I had to lean in and check the TV again b/c I swore it was Wiltjer.

NBA scouts in the house? Maybe Karno has a jump shot and no one really knows it?

Zagdawg
01-03-2015, 08:38 PM
Can he take a jump shot for his free throws?

GonzaGAW
01-03-2015, 08:43 PM
good news is we won all 3 of the road games losses we had last year, sets us up nice........yes to run the table. I think this team can do that.

but about this game, Portland does have bigs that can move and score and that showed in the second half. but we are bigger and stronger and I think we let them feed their post players too close to the basket.
the pressure wasn't what it should have been, I think this is the first game in which our opponent had a better a/to ratio than we did. Portland had more assists than we did!

gonna sound like a broken record, once again I think a seven seed could of beat us tonight.
we've got all the talent in the world and I think we can be one of the top 10 teams in the country, but I do not think we are just 10-12 points better than Portland or san diego. we have to take 10-15 point half time leads and make them 20-25.

good job team, you got the victory, see ya Thursday, bring on eric!

WallaWallaZag
01-03-2015, 08:56 PM
And, his form was so perfect, the shot, so pure, that I had to lean in and check the TV again b/c I swore it was Wiltjer.

NBA scouts in the house? Maybe Karno has a jump shot and no one really knows it?

he's already showed a pretty good mid-range game, even using the glass a few times...i think it's a similar to when olynyk was here...didn't shoot the 3 all that much but in the nba completely different story. think it will be similar situation with karnowski regarding jump shots.

gonzagafan62
01-03-2015, 08:59 PM

A freakin men

Zag Man
01-03-2015, 09:27 PM
but about this game, Portland does have bigs that can move and score and that showed in the second half. but we are bigger and stronger and I think we let them feed their post players too close to the basket.

I thought Portland played with a lot of energy tonight. You have to give them a lot of credit for playing a spirited game.

RenoZag
01-03-2015, 09:33 PM
Our leading scorer was 3/10 from the floor and we still won. . .happy the Zags are deep and don't have to rely on just one or two players,

Need to get meaner with a lead.

ZagHouse
01-03-2015, 09:42 PM
I thought Portland played with a lot of energy tonight. You have to give them a lot of credit for playing a spirited game.

Really? I thought any energy was due to our complacency. Portland is a good team, but if we wanted to, that game could have been ugly ( a lopsided statement game). We get up by 20 and then coast on our talent. I hope going home lights a fire, because our recent similar games are not reinforcing the importance of closing teams out.

HillBillyZag
01-03-2015, 10:06 PM
Too many think the opposition is just supposed to roll over and play dead because the Zags are in town. GU will get nothing but the best effort from everyone on the schedule.
that's w

maynard g krebs
01-03-2015, 10:29 PM

Last 7 games he's 14/22, 63%. And all the misses are just a little long, hitting back rim. I thought it was a great sign when he hit the second of 2 after missing the first with the score tightening; last year he might have tightened up and airballed it a foot short. The way he's looking at the line I'd bet he stays in the 60-65 range the rest of the year, and that's adequate for him. Looks like what they're doing with him on ft's is working.

WallaWallaZag
01-03-2015, 11:07 PM
Last 7 games he's 14/22, 63%. And all the misses are just a little long, hitting back rim. I thought it was a great sign when he hit the second of 2 after missing the first with the score tightening; last year he might have tightened up and airballed it a foot short. The way he's looking at the line I'd bet he stays in the 60-65 range the rest of the year, and that's adequate for him. Looks like what they're doing with him on ft's is working.

karnowski seems to be one of those "confidence" guys, especially on how it affects his free throws...and right now his game is rolling so i also think he'll be fine from the line moving forward.

zagamatic
01-04-2015, 12:25 AM
Karnowski has simply not appeared to be "thinking" about his shot lately. He does so much better when he just grabs it and shoots it regardless of where he's at on the floor. Which tonight includes the 3 point line.

Zagger
01-04-2015, 03:34 AM
Main thought ... the WCC is improving year by year. I'll bet Portland beats BYU at home. I like how Mt. K is improving and how Kevin can throttle up. Zag's games are definitely exciting - for a host of reasons.
Angel - sure would like to see the circumstances evolve where he's on the floor more often. It looked as if he was a bit lost out there tonight. The main reason I'd like to see the Zags clobber a few teams is to get more of the bench on the floor. With Eric beginning play this Thursday and Josh in the mix later on, we'll certainly have a deep team but I surely hope we get to see them all in action in a few games.
One more post game thought - betting the Zags move up in the polls on Monday. #6 or #5 sound about right to me :)

jazzdelmar
01-04-2015, 05:50 AM
Zagger, Nunez seems increasingly a lost cause this year. Too jumpy and TO prone and if he is in the game then a far better player is not, simple as that. Maybe next year, especially if there are defections, but if not and we add Eddy, then Nunez slips further down the bench. Karno is coming like a storm, a whole different level of execution and most of all attitude. The 3 was ample proof of that. Melson just can't catch a break, if one or 2 go he will be a real asset but as long as KD hits 3s, as he did last nite, he deserves to play over SM despite his penchant for sloppy ball handling and errant passes.

zag67
01-04-2015, 05:55 AM
I would like to say that I think that Melson playing this year is going to pay dividends down the road. He does some things super and shows he can take the mid range jumper really well. Also, yes he makes freshman mistakes, but each game they seem to be fewer. With the out of conference schedule we have next, year his and Perkins experiences will pay great rewards. Go Zags.

Reborn
01-04-2015, 07:05 AM
I'm not one who is really concerned about the team. I feel a 12 point victory at Portland is a good win. I don't even attribute it to the Zags taking their foot off the pedal. Some of our best defenders were on the bench when Portland made their run. Both Bell and PK were for sure, and they are our best inside defender and best outside defender. And then I give Portland credit when some of our fans here don't. Portland is, and has been, a very good 3 point shooting team, and I wasn't surprised when they got hot. And yet Gonzaga made the same number of 3's that they did (six). Make no mistake. Portland is a good team. Any team in the top 100 is a pretty good team at home and is capable of knocking off an elite team. Once Mark Few put Bell and PK back in the game, it was over. We could call these two our Run stoppers, or our Momentum Breakers. The thing about PK is that he's become a great passer. IMO, the best on the team. And in fact, he may be our best player right now. Once Few inserted him back into the game, he started hitting Pangos for those beautiful three's, and one step back two. That was beautiful to watch.

I'm one who focuses on the positives, but addresses the negatives. One must. But for me, this was a really good game to watch. I enjoyed watching Gary play in the first half. He was playing the way I think he should, attacking the basket. And I thought PK played his best game this year. You just have to love that three he hit, and then his dunk. Wow! In the old days that dunk would have broken the backboard. I love seeing him play with that kind of power. And like Jazz said, his attitude is just awesome. He's become a real leader. And I certainly enjoy watching Kevin shoot those threes, and if you need something to celebrate fans, Kevin's hitting those three's ON THE ROAD this year. Mmmm THREE GAMES IN A ROW. If you don't like seeing him take over a game, then you are missing one of the games most beautiful things. Kevin is a closer folks. If you don't believe that, then somethings wrong with the way YOU view the game.
And I must say something more about Dranginis. He's a super sub, and a great team needs one. And that's what he's become. He is so much better this year. I'm really loving watching him play. He's certainly the JACK OF ALL TRADES. Or a utility infielder who can hit.

The great thing about this team is that it has many very good players. I think Jazz doubts that at the time, but I don't. Last night we saw Wiltjer and Wesley to some extent, and Sabonis have sub par games, imo. And yet the Zags pulled together and made it work. Pangos, Bell, PK, and Dranginis made it work. Pangos and Karnowsky certainly picked it up. If you didn't notice, we closed the deal. and that's what coach Daniels was talking about in the interview with him. Yes, Portland was making their run, and Gonzaga slammed the door in their face. I LOVED WATCHING THE END TO THE GAME. A great ending, imo. So I'm not complaining much at all. I thought it was a really good game. And I like Portland, even more then San Diego. I really like their coach, and his team's always play tough.

Go Zags!!!
The best is yet to come!

Zagger
01-04-2015, 07:53 AM
Zagger, Nunez seems increasingly a lost cause this year. Too jumpy and TO prone and if he is in the game then a far better player is not, simple as that. Maybe next year, especially if there are defections, but if not and we add Eddy, then Nunez slips further down the bench. Karno is coming like a storm, a whole different level of execution and most of all attitude. The 3 was ample proof of that. Melson just can't catch a break, if one or 2 go he will be a real asset but as long as KD hits 3s, as he did last nite, he deserves to play over SM despite his penchant for sloppy ball handling and errant passes.
I just hope he gets a next year w/ the Zags. I also hope he gets more game time - maybe when the team is up 20 or whenever.... His 2 FTs were smooth. He's got a great shot. Perhaps we'll see him improve markedly yet this year on D and/or O. Having oodles of depth can't hurt a deep March run.
I too think Melson has just had some odd breaks. He's going to catch fire. KD is catching fire now. I look forward to seeing how Eric's presence influences our games.

seacatfan
01-04-2015, 11:41 AM
The great thing about this team is that it has many very good players. I think Jazz doubts that at the time, but I don't. Last night we saw Wiltjer and Wesley to some extent, and Sabonis have sub par games, imo. And yet the Zags pulled together and made it work. Pangos, Bell, PK, and Dranginis made it work.

Wiltjer and Wesley have been excellent additions to the team, looking like the team's 2 best players at times this season. Gonzaga would've have a good team even if both of those players didn't transfer in this year. All the guys you mentioned above are a really solid core and as they proved certainly capable of taking over stretches of a game. It's nice to have enough scoring options that the Zags can overcome any player or two having an off game.

NotoriousZ
01-05-2015, 04:48 PM

Nunez will be a huge factor down the road. His jumpiness is understandable with him trying to make the most out of his limited minutes. I'm a big believer in the kid and I can't wait to see him come through when we need him. Teams are going focus on getting our bigs in foul trouble, and when that happens we will need Angel...big time.

Bogozags
01-05-2015, 04:58 PM

Ala Hal Greer from Marshall...

DixieZag
01-05-2015, 05:28 PM
Nunez will be a huge factor down the road. His jumpiness is understandable with him trying to make the most out of his limited minutes. I'm a big believer in the kid and I can't wait to see him come through when we need him. Teams are going focus on getting our bigs in foul trouble, and when that happens we will need Angel...big time.

Totally agree. I've just always thought that since he joined the team mid-way through the year, he tried to "catch-up" by over doing it, and thus never got enough time to really settle into a comfort zone with some confidence. He does give max effort on rebounding and defense.

I so hope that the NCAA does the right thing (for once) and gives him another year. We will dearly need him next year and the longer he has, the more likely he will settle in.