PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs Portland: Predictions and other thoughts

Reborn
01-01-2015, 09:27 AM
Gonzaga 75
Portland 62

I'm expecting the same outcome as the Zags had in San Diego but with better scoring by both teams. So it should be a really good game again. This Gonzaga team is so good. They've had so many road games that I really can't remember when they played in K2. The students have been gone; so I guess it really doesn't matter. It's probably been best to play these games on the road so we'll have our students in K2 later on. And you can bet that K2 will be rockin when the Zags return home in a week or so. Portland always plays the Zags tough at home, and like San Diego, they beat our Zags last year. So the Zags will be solid and ready this year. Portland has a great coach, and they always have some outstanding 3 point shooters. They beat San Diego @ San Diego so you know they're good. And the Zags know that too. I'm looking for us to play outstanding defense as usual.

I'm excited for the game. I'm a little nervous because we've had so many game on the road, but I am confident the Zags can play hard and get a win.

Go Zags!!!
One game at a time!

DixieZag
01-01-2015, 09:41 AM
I like Van der Mars (who I think is underrated in All-WCC talk) and I like Reveno, and they sure gave us fits last year, home and away.

But, b/c of that, I think we come out with max effort, only game of the week, they're rested. And, we have too much.

Zags; 82
Not Zags: 66

zag67
01-01-2015, 09:47 AM
I think they will give us a game, but hope we pull away.

GU - 88
Portland - 66

jazzdelmar
01-01-2015, 09:58 AM
Blah, blah, big minutes for Melson; blah, blah, big minutes for Nunez; blah, blah, big dunk for Griffin.....what, none of that usual stuff?

ZagsGoZags
01-01-2015, 10:03 AM
Gonzaga 75
Portland 62

I'm expecting the same outcome as the Zags had in San Diego but with better scoring by both teams. So it should be a really good game again. This Gonzaga team is so good. They've had so many road games that I really can't remember when they played in K2. The students have been gone; so I guess it really doesn't matter. It's probably been best to play these games on the road so we'll have our students in K2 later on. And you can bet that K2 will be rockin when the Zags return home in a week or so. Portland always plays the Zags tough at home, and like San Diego, they beat our Zags last year. So the Zags will be solid and ready this year. Portland has a great coach, and they always have some outstanding 3 point shooters. They beat San Diego @ San Diego so you know they're good. And the Zags know that too. I'm looking for us to play outstanding defense as usual.

I'm excited for the game. I'm a little nervous because we've had so many game on the road, but I am confident the Zags can play hard and get a win.

Go Zags!!!
One game at a time!

I know Portland plays better at home, like all other teams, but I think much of it familiarity, and only some of it fan noise. Last year when I was at that game I estimate one fourth of the crowd were ZAG fans.

Zags11
01-01-2015, 11:49 AM
Zags 81
pilots 46

someone with 30.

idk why. Lol

SteelZag
01-01-2015, 12:01 PM
Blah, blah, big minutes for Melson; blah, blah, big minutes for Nunez; blah, blah, big dunk for Griffin.....what, none of that usual stuff?

I didn't notice any threads from you in the Resoulution thread.

NumberCruncher
01-01-2015, 12:01 PM
I would like to see all the Zags with Portland ties do well.

DixieZag
01-01-2015, 12:06 PM

Well, perhaps you could provide some of the insight beyond what you consider the usual stuff?

Or, perhaps it is the "usual stuff" that will, again, actually play out?

As our most prized curmudgeon, your role goes well beyond pointing out how wrong/banal we all are and extends all the way to demonstrating in what way we are wrong. It's a New Year, Jazz! Take it to the next level. We are positive you have it in you. :)

Kiddwell
01-01-2015, 12:26 PM
Love thy Northwest Neighbor (sorta), a prayer
<ahem>
"The New Year shall bring, shall bring, shall bring,
Some sorrow, some joy, some marvelous things.
But whate'er may come, dear Father, we pray,
Help us to live by all that You say.
And should we once fall onto hands, onto knees,
Grant us the strength to rise like You, please!
And since Your Word says, 'Vengeance is mine!'
Help us to beat Portland's Pilots to brine!"

------
Beloved Zags - 88
Semi-Beloved Pilots- 67

:]

gonzagafan62
01-01-2015, 01:00 PM
No way we lose this game either. Few and co knows how important finishing te three game trip is. We will be focused and win!

OZZY
01-01-2015, 01:11 PM
IMHO this could very well end up being a tougher game than Provo or Moraga.

They have only had four loses this year, to teams with a combined 42-13 record. Two of those loses have come in overtime (including UNLV on the road where the Rebels beat Zona).

The Pilots are probably the only team that can match the Zags front court size and depth (well, no one actually matches Shem's size).

They often start all three experienced bigs;

C - Barker 6'10" (Senior)
PF - Van der Mars 6'11" (Senior)
SF - Vol Gerun 6"10" (Senior, X - WVU)

The only upside is that they are simular to the Gonzaga bigs, in that they are not overly "athletic". Also like the Zags, two of the three are European. They do have touch around the basket and Gerun can hit the three at a reasonable clip. It will be interesting to see how much time Domas gets and if his motor shines through in these matchups.

The Zags will win this with backcourt play though, with KP, GBJ and Silas will keep Wintering in check (KP kept Anderson to 0 points and 6 turnovers last game).

Watch out for Sharp, he can get hot from the three, although not as efficiently this year as last, he averages 7 attempts per game .

At the Mac, I expect a 25 point win, in Portland....

Zags 85
Pilots 72

Go Zags!

jpwils
01-01-2015, 01:16 PM
No way we lose this game either. Few and co knows how important finishing te three game trip is. We will be focused and win!

Very tuff game to win-predict we unfortunately come out flat and come from behind( 10 points back) to win on either a Wiltjer 3 or in OT-Pangos needs to pay attention to foul trouble- we need to contain Wintering and Sharp and limit their new PF ( name like Gerun??).

Dranginis will play a key role.

Zags 89

Pilots 87

hondo
01-01-2015, 01:48 PM
A huge part of winning is believing and after last year the Pilots believe they can beat the Zags at least on their home court. I think that a team that relies on the 3 point shot has a larger home court advantage.
I would think this game will play out like the San Diego game except with the possibility of 2 shooters like Johnny Dee. If Sharp and Wintering both get going and they could, it might spell trouble for our Zags.

Baseline
01-01-2015, 08:09 PM
Watching Domas vs Vandermears (sp) will be a good watch. This will be a very good read on Domas's defense.

Zags 76
Pilots 58

GrizZAG
01-01-2015, 09:10 PM
Hang on. High scoring fast paced game and it won't be an easy win. Beating UNLV is a major win for them. We will need our A Game.

DixieZag
01-01-2015, 09:14 PM
I am not sure why I had not appreciated the difficulty/danger of this game until I read this thread - maybe just not smart enough.

A) They beat us last year
B) They have most guys back
C) They sure play well against us - see the near comeback win last year
D) They ALMOST beat UNLV, something Arizona could not gather themselves to do.
E) They have a week to prepare.

I feel good about our guys, so long as they bring max effort, but after reading y'all, I'm a little more worried.

gonzagafan62
01-01-2015, 09:32 PM
I am not sure why I had not appreciated the difficulty/danger of this game until I read this thread - maybe just not smart enough.

D) They beat UNLV, something Arizona could not gather themselves to do.

I feel good about our guys, so long as they bring max effort, but after reading y'all, I'm a little more worried.

I would usually be worried Dixie but I'm really not. Revenge games were we have te superior talent usually go our way. I'm not including the three San Francisco meltdowns either because none of those were as good as this team. This game is definitely dangerous especially since they have a week but we have 5 days it's not a short turnaround or anything. We will be fine... It's a grinder but we pull it out. Any road game Is tough, but I wouldn't worry too much

ZagaZags
01-01-2015, 09:32 PM

D) They beat UNLV, something Arizona could not gather themselves to do.

UNLV 75 Portland 73

http://espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=400587265

RenoZag
01-01-2015, 09:48 PM
Remember when Rex and Co had the Zags number ? St. Mary's ? I think UP is in that same frame of mind now. I'm hoping the Zags are just a bit better:

ZAGS - 76
PILOTS - 73

As of Saturday, 11:49 am, Zags are favored by 12 points. . .over/under is 137 points.

Zagdawg
01-01-2015, 09:56 PM
Going to be tough--they have a number of good 3 point shooters and a bunch of bigs ---we had better be ready to play.

DixieZag
01-01-2015, 11:28 PM
UNLV 75 Portland 73

http://espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=400587265

It is hard to be right subjectively when one is dead wrong on objective facts. :)

Thanks for correcting me. I am going to amend the response, just to not mislead others.

Hey! I did get that the Zags were playing Portland! Gotta start somewhere!

Reborn
01-02-2015, 08:25 AM
I like the fact that Gonzaga has had some time off. Their schedule has been tough with so many road games. The Zags know what they are up against. Portland is a good team and they're at home. And like I've said, all of the road games that the Zags have had certainly has prepared them for the game tomorrow night. Being rested will help them. Yes. Portland beat us last year, but this IS a DIFFERENT and BETTER Gonzaga team this year. And the fact that the game is played when the students are home for the holidays will also help the Zags. A 13 point victory on the road is huge. It's equivalent to a 20 point victory at home.

Gonzaga's defense has been so good this year. Against San Diego the offense looked a little anemic, but the defense was fantastic as they held San Diego to 48 points. If the Zags continue to play this kind of defense they'll be fine.

Go Zags!!!
One game at a time!

Zag_Dad
01-02-2015, 12:06 PM
I didn't notice any threads from you in the Resoulution thread.

:D

Bogozags
01-02-2015, 12:14 PM
Free Throw shooting will have an impact in this game...our bigs should be at the line and need to make many more than we miss!

Restrict their ability to score from the 3pt line and run overtime they miss...

Our defence is much better than last year...

GU 82-69

TravelinZag
01-02-2015, 01:38 PM
Zags provide more engrossing game than we counted on before prevailing. Any W is a w!

Zagger
01-03-2015, 04:06 AM
Zags 85, Pilots 65
I think we'll see the Zags putting up some points. Portland is a tough team. Zags are more so. Time for Gary to light it up + the Pilots will find Wiltjer hard to defend. It's also a good occasion for Melson to find the hoop a few times. Go Zags! Sink the Pilots!
http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/sinkthepilots.jpg

LongIslandZagFan
01-03-2015, 05:50 AM
Tugboat Captains... 130
Zags 40

23dpg
01-03-2015, 08:23 AM
Zags. 79
Pilots. 72

jim77
01-03-2015, 09:39 AM
Close game....GU 76 Pilots 72

kitzbuel
01-03-2015, 09:43 AM
Zags 86
Pilots 75

Reborn
01-03-2015, 10:46 AM
Good morning ZagNation and Zag fans here. IT'S GAME DAY everyone, and there's no better game then game day. I just finished watching the Seton Hall victory over Nova. It's tough to win on the road. I'm so glad Gonzaga had all those road games this year. That will help I believe. I know the guys are pumped. And so am I. The games a little earlier tonight and that's good for me.

Go Zags!!!
One game at a time!

RenoZag
01-03-2015, 12:54 PM
The WCC has a contract with a stats keeping service :

http://www.statbroadcast.com/

If you click on the "Today's Events" button, the next screen shows the Portland - GU game will be on the schedule tonight. It might be a better alternative to watching the stats on ESPN or elsewhere.

For a preview of the platform, you can see it in action for the Lady Zags at this link:

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=68854&a=1

GrizZAG
01-03-2015, 05:16 PM
Sabonis and Shem will have their work cut out for them with Van der Mars. He is really good. Hang on, 15 minutes to launch!

kitzbuel
01-03-2015, 07:41 PM
Zags 86
Pilots 75
Missed by one point!