PDA

View Full Version : Resolution

Zag_Dad
12-31-2014, 04:10 PM
Basketball fans are like poker players..... a poker player always remembers the hand that busted them out of a tournament, and it's always a "bad beat" (a hand that someone played poorly where that person "sucked out" by hitting the only card(s) they could get to beat you).. That same poker player may have sucked out on other players all night long but the hand they remember (and retell in excruciating detail) is the one they lost.

How are basketball fans like poker players? Simple... It's all about how they view the officiating in a game. Bad call are made all day long and in every game. They go both ways and almost never truly impact the outcome of a game. Basketball fans, however, remember ONLY the call at that crucial moment where it changed the outcome of a play at the crucial moment where the game was on the line. They forget that calls went their way early in the game. Had these calls not been made that way their team may not have been in a position to win/lose at the end.

My resolution... watch the game...enjoy the game...appreciate the ride and DONT BE A POKER PLAYER. the refs aren't biased, they don't impact the outcome of the game and by and far they get it right MOST OF THE TIME.

HAPPY NEW YEAR and GO ZAGS!

stevet75
12-31-2014, 07:04 PM
Kill joy:)

Zag_Dad
01-01-2015, 12:28 AM
Lol... Didn't mean to be a "kill joy" I just want to challenge GU fans to take high ground. We have a great program and great team. It's time to step up and win and lose without "strings attached". We win because we're better, we lose because we got outplayed that night. I think we're good enough to make it to final four this year.

Happy new year.

GO ZAGS!

bigblahla
01-01-2015, 06:42 AM
Basketball fans are like poker players..... a poker player always remembers the hand that busted them out of a tournament, and it's always a "bad beat" (a hand that someone played poorly where that person "sucked out" by hitting the only card(s) they could get to beat you).. That same poker player may have sucked out on other players all night long but the hand they remember (and retell in excruciating detail) is the one they lost.

How are basketball fans like poker players? Simple... It's all about how they view the officiating in a game. Bad call are made all day long and in every game. They go both ways and almost never truly impact the outcome of a game. Basketball fans, however, remember ONLY the call at that crucial moment where it changed the outcome of a play at the crucial moment where the game was on the line. They forget that calls went their way early in the game. Had these calls not been made that way their team may not have been in a position to win/lose at the end.

My resolution... watch the game...enjoy the game...appreciate the ride and DONT BE A POKER PLAYER. the refs aren't biased, they don't impact the outcome of the game and by and far they get it right MOST OF THE TIME.

HAPPY NEW YEAR and GO ZAGS!

Can agree with most except the refs don't impact the game part....sure they do....they control it with subjective officiating that usually changes during the game.... how can that not impact the game?....What wasn't a foul in the 1st half is in the 2nd half or vice versa....I am sick of rugby on the basketball court ....adherence to the actual rules by refs went out the window a long time ago.....they definitively do impact the game.

Go!! Zags!!!

Reborn
01-01-2015, 09:35 AM
One of the funnest things for me about being a fan is to yell at the refs. I really enjoy doing that. Basketball games are not theater. How much fun would it be to sit quietly and watch a basketball game as if it were theater. The cool thing about sports is that it's a participation game by the fans/audiences. Fans add so much to the game and really are a part of the entertainment. If you haven't been in K2 and have had the pleasure to watch the Kennel Club, then hopefully one day you can. Then, maybe you'll change your mind about screaming at refs. But anyway, I hear ya, and to each his own. Good luck on your resolution. I hope you still enjoy the games. Let us know in a few games how it's going.

In basketball I believe the HIGH ROAD is to be as crazy as you can. When people who analyze this game talk about the best fans in the USA, they are not talking about how quiet the fans are. hahahahahahahah
Go Zags!!!
One game at a time!

Zag_Dad
01-01-2015, 10:00 AM
Perhaps my sentiments were perceived a bit stronger than I intended. I admit that calls do affect the outcome of games, my only point is that you can't look at them in a vacuum. I have enjoyed games in K2 watching the Kennell Club and I was also part of that rabid group when I attended 86-90. I agree, the experience includes letting the refs hear it when they blow a call. I guess I just hate hearing people complain about a single call when the game ended poorly for our team. Hopefully the game doesn't come down to one call. If you ever go over to the BYU or SMC message boards you will see the complaints about refs from a different perspective...they look like whiners and sore losers when they cry foul about the "poor officiating". That being said...I do think flagrant fouls need to be called when an out of control player breaks the jaw of our future star point guard. (There are other examples where I have been incensed by officiating).
I expect Gonzaga to run the table in conference and make a deep run in tournament even if we suffer some bad calls along the way.

GO ZAGS

mgadfly
01-02-2015, 08:14 AM
Perhaps my sentiments were perceived a bit stronger than I intended. I admit that calls do affect the outcome of games, my only point is that you can't look at them in a vacuum. I have enjoyed games in K2 watching the Kennell Club and I was also part of that rabid group when I attended 86-90. I agree, the experience includes letting the refs hear it when they blow a call. I guess I just hate hearing people complain about a single call when the game ended poorly for our team. Hopefully the game doesn't come down to one call. If you ever go over to the BYU or SMC message boards you will see the complaints about refs from a different perspective...they look like whiners and sore losers when they cry foul about the "poor officiating". That being said...I do think flagrant fouls need to be called when an out of control player breaks the jaw of our future star point guard. (There are other examples where I have been incensed by officiating).
I expect Gonzaga to run the table in conference and make a deep run in tournament even if we suffer some bad calls along the way.

GO ZAGS
I pretty much completely disagree with your original post. (1) It is basically undisputed that officials impact the outcome of games. (2) All of the published evidence doesn't indicate that it is a wash at the end. On the contrary, the road team and the team in the lead usually have to play against a sixth man in a striped jersey. (3) Complaining about officiating is important. During the game it actually impacts the results. After the game it impacts future results because officials hear about their perceived shortcomings and because reforms usually happen only when people complain about a problem.

I do hope that everyone continues to complain about officiating (when it is actually bad, because it often times is pretty good and we should recognize it when it is) but remembers your other advise: enjoy the season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4682821

http://freakonomics.com/2011/12/18/football-freakonomics-how-advantageous-is-home-field-advantage-and-why/

DixieZag
01-02-2015, 08:39 AM
I have a theory that just about every team's fans believe they are horrible defending the three.

I say that b/c I think most fans tend to remember those instances when they got torched, and every team gets torched from time to time.

We've had legendarily "torched" games. I think most teams have just as many. And, we forget the games when we've clamped down on it well. Like USD.

gonzagafan62
01-02-2015, 08:42 AM
I have a theory that just about every team's fans believe they are horrible defending the three.

I say that b/c I think most fans tend to remember those instances when they got torched, and every team gets torched from time to time.

We've had legendarily "torched" games. I think most teams have just as many. And, we forget the games when we've clamped down on it well. Like USD.

I couldn't agree more. I think this is spot on.

Rangerzag
01-02-2015, 08:56 AM
I think most teams have just as many.

I don't think it is quite that simple.

The numbers here show 3pt defense with a range of 23.0 to 41.7% for all teams with the Zags at 30.3% and a ranking of 76 out of 345.
http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings?sport_code=MBB&division=1 (select 3pt defense)

Compare that to overall scoring defense with numbers reaching from 47.8 to 87.1 ppg and the Zags with 60.6 at 66 of 345.
http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings?sport_code=MBB&division=1 (select scoring defense)

gueastcoast
01-02-2015, 09:03 AM

http://espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=270030258

like yesterday...:vomit-smiley-007:

Vanzagger
01-02-2015, 09:46 AM
Zag Dad. I agree with you. I have been trying to correct this behavior as a poker player and a sports fan for years. Nevada Wolfpack would have beat us anyway.

Now there is a web site run by Tim Donaghy called Ref Picks. He wants to sell you picks realizing that sometimes officials do have a certain lean.

I say no excuses. Play better.

kclubfounder
01-02-2015, 01:41 PM
The more I age the less I blame refs. I've come to the realization that blaming refs is almost always a pathetic sign of weakness. But boy there can be some frustrating calls and no calls!!

That being said, nobody, and I mean NOBODY, is going to stop me from believing that refs STOLE Super Bowl XL from the Seahawks :explode:

GO ZAGS!!!!! Dominate and make the refs irrelevant.