PDA

View Full Version : Please join me and Stand Up for our Zags

ZagsGoZags
12-29-2014, 09:54 PM
Casey Jacobsen has no excuse for saying

"Gone Zawg Ga"

50 times in a row on a game broadcast all over the Western USA. Sure, we moan and gripe to each other in here but that is preaching to the choir. We have had national attention for 14 years, and obviously there is not enough feedback for the sports announcers to even seem to know or care, but I care, and I hope you do too.
One ounce of expression of frustration that is realistic is worth a pound of bellyaching to friends and family.

It only takes about 60 seconds. Here is how to give KHQ Root Sports some constructive criticism and a piece of your mind:

http://northwest.rootsports.com/contact-us/

caduceus
12-29-2014, 10:17 PM
This was a WCC broadcast. Root's just rebroadcasting. Best to complain to the boneheads who run the conference.

TexasZag
12-30-2014, 04:57 AM
We get that same "arrogance" here in Dallas/Fort Worth. There are still media-types that insist that the "w" in Dirk's last name is pronounced like an American W and not a German W, which has a "V" sound. As annoying as it is, I just chalk it up to the character (or lack thereof) of the individual. That may not be fair, but give me a break, at this point (in both cases), against all who have advised you to the contrary, you still believe you are pronouncing this correctly?

jazzdelmar
12-30-2014, 05:42 AM
Its laziness and even a bit arrogant to mispronounce last and proper names for anyone, much less an announcer. Casey went to Stanford so theres no excuse..The worse is when the speaker calls attention to the name and that he is trying his best to say it right, like "Im not going to even try to pronounce that name," followed by giggles and belly laughs. Ugly American stuff.

TheGonzagaFactor
12-30-2014, 06:44 AM
I think that at this point if you are an announcer or someone who is paid to analyze/follow college basketball, you know how to pronounce it correctly and any consistent mispronunciation is an intentional sign of disrespect. The announcers last night were idiots who are in love with a player that no one outside the WCC knows/cares about.

willandi
12-30-2014, 06:50 AM
What's wrong with how Jackobsen pronounces it?

B Wayne
12-30-2014, 07:06 AM
What's wrong with how Jackobsen pronounces it?

Go Zogs?

webspinnre
12-30-2014, 08:07 AM
Gon Zog Uh is the Italian saint, Gon Zag Uh is the American University. Much like Not-ruh Dom is the French Cathedral and Noter Dame is the American University.

ZagsGoZags
12-30-2014, 09:31 AM
I agree they are probably pronouncing it correctly in Italian. And thanks Caduceus for pointing to the correct producers of who is Announcing the games (WCC not Root Sports). What I think it comes down to is whether the person or organization takes offense and asks for their name to be pronounced a certain way. I am not aware that members of Notre Dame do not like the Americanized pronunciation, so no problem, like the Germans don't mind Americans calling Deutschland Germany.
So, I think that for the members of this board who do not like Sportscasters to call us Gone Zogga, it is better to give feedback than to sit and complain to family, friends, and GUBoard members (we see it all the time in here).

For those who want to express dissatisfaction, and spend one minute acting on their feeling to send the info to the right place, this will also work (probably better):

http://www.wccsports.com/feedback/west-feedback.html

zaguarxj
12-30-2014, 09:49 AM
I was much more annoyed by the announcers for the BYU game. They were so busy listening to themselves talk that they failed, on numerous occasions, to let us know who was getting called for a foul. This was important in a game where fouls were piling up on the Zags and it wasn't very obvious what the whistles were about. Shut up and do some play-by-play!

SteelZag
12-30-2014, 11:14 AM
I got a late start watching the game and FF through all the time outs. I remember once the announcers talked about Sarbaugh going to G-Prep, but never heard them mention that he practiced daily against Pangos, Bell and KD as a RS freshman. I would think that would be of great insight for an announcer. Does anybody know if that was mentioned?

krozman
12-30-2014, 11:18 AM
Getting angry at announcers is like getting angry over an online news story that you clicked on to begin with. If you feel good knowing you're smarter than them, grats on being you. Everyone has a bad day and makes mistakes that, in the end, don't really change anything. Calm down!

hondo
12-30-2014, 03:16 PM
Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by stupidity

ZagLawGrad
12-30-2014, 03:31 PM
It doesn't bother me. I find it kind of amusing,