PDA

View Full Version : End game strategy

zag buddy
12-29-2014, 09:49 PM
Once again we went about 9 minutes without a basket at the end of the game I really feel that this pattern is going to hurt us in the future. Especially the NCAA tournament What I don't understand is that it is not that we do not have an open shot, it's that we choose not to shoot. I guess what disturbs me is we are automatically promoting a run by our opponents and gambling on our defense that we can stop them. It seems like this is a very passive way to play when the whole game you have been successful playing an aggressive strategy, which has given you the lead. It's not just this game, it is a strategy coach Few has employed for most games. I cannot think of another successful coach who has employed this strategy. It is not unusual in the end game for us to go 5-10 minutes without scoring while anyone of our players could make 40+ % of their shots if they were just to take the ball down and shot it. San Diego shot under 30% for the game. If they had made about 3 of their final shots we would have had a chance of losing. Maybe I'm loony but I feel we have one of the best shooting teams in the nation and that we should continue to play our "A" game and not change strategy to allow the opponent to gain confidence and make a comeback. I would say this slow down strategy is the result of a "fear of losing" mentality. I'm more of an proponent of "how much can we win by" mentality. Your thoughts.

GoZags
12-29-2014, 10:02 PM
Once again we went about 9 minutes without a basket at the end of the game I really feel that this pattern is going to hurt us in the future. Especially the NCAA tournament What I don't understand is that it is not that we do not have an open shot, it's that we choose not to shoot. I guess what disturbs me is we are automatically promoting a run by our opponents and gambling on our defense that we can stop them. It seems like this is a very passive way to play when the whole game you have been successful playing an aggressive strategy, which has given you the lead. It's not just this game, it is a strategy coach Few has employed for most games. I cannot think of another successful coach who has employed this strategy. It is not unusual in the end game for us to go 5-10 minutes without scoring while anyone of our players could make 40+ % of their shots if they were just to take the ball down and shot it. San Diego shot under 30% for the game. If they had made about 3 of their final shots we would have had a chance of losing. Maybe I'm loony but I feel we have one of the best shooting teams in the nation and that we should continue to play our "A" game and not change strategy to allow the opponent to gain confidence and make a comeback. I would say this slow down strategy is the result of a "fear of losing" mentality. I'm more of an proponent of "how much can we win by" mentality. Your thoughts.

I believe most thoughts were covered in this 67 post thread that you'd started earlier this month. http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?51689-end-of-the-game-offense&p=1060752#post1060752

Of course, that's just me.

Mantua
12-29-2014, 10:03 PM
We need Perkins. I doesn't work to give Bell the major defensive assignment and the have him spell the the harassed point guard. Neither Bell nor Pangos was getting enough support in the second half. I'm looking forward to Jan 6th when McClellan can play. Perkins eventual return is key. In the meantime, there's no shortage of things to learn in practice. This time of year, I would rather have them focusing on getting better after some of these not so great games, than worry about overconfidence. Learning curves can be jagged.

Zagdawg
12-29-2014, 10:05 PM
Gotta agree ---Having another solid ball handler/distributor/defender will be huge. It will great to get Perkins back----and also great to have McClellan available. We have heard about his speed---I am hoping his ball handling is also solid (just the D1 experience will be an asset to the team).

sittingon50
12-29-2014, 10:24 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM

DixieZag
12-29-2014, 10:32 PM
I think a whole lot of bunnies - good shots, just about went in, and if maybe half of those actually did go in, we wouldn't be discussing this - or maybe we would anyway.

I liked that our defense never broke.

zag67
12-30-2014, 06:17 AM
Mantus, I agree we do need another point guard when a team decides to pressure like SD did. I am hoping that McCclellan will bring that to us until Perkins is ready. We need to move the ball quicker when they keep getting up into our face.

I do not understand the "new" rules or referee interpretations of the rule on a defensive person in offensive players space. It seems that you can run up to them and as long as you do not reach, put your body into his so he cannot even move. I personally think this is wrong I understand that they do not wart elbows flying but if you position yourself so that a person cannot pivot or move without hitting the person, then you have not given the offensive player enough room. If a person is turning side to side, then this should be a legal move and the defensive player should not be protected for being in his space.

TheGonzagaFactor
12-30-2014, 06:55 AM
I just loved the way our guys kept their cool down the stretch. There was A LOT of contact allowed for USD and not so much when we were on defense. That combined with an offensive lull was a recipe for disaster. There were a few head-scratching calls/no calls but our players just smiled and got on with the game. Didn't get too frustrated.

I found it strange that the broadcast didn't show replays on some of the iffy calls that went against us. Would've liked another look on some of those.

CDC84
12-30-2014, 07:55 AM
Few actually said after the game that the team got really frustrated with all the physical contact during a 9 minute stretch in the 2nd half. He felt they didn't keep their poise. This is what kept them from blowing out San Diego.

Let's face it, the games with USD at the Slim Gym are just going to be ugly. It's the only way Grier can do it in order to beat Gonzaga. He knows Gonzaga so well and what they want to do.

The Zags need to play a more complete game at Portland on Saturday night. Reveno and his bunch will be ready. The Zags have every reason to beat those guys on their home floor. That loss last year put GU in the 8/9 game.

zag buddy
12-30-2014, 09:42 AM
I guess my frustration comes from this slow down strategy at the end of the game to have unintended consequences. I know the goal is to control the ball, run out the clock and not let the other team score. But what I'm afraid I am seeing is that we give up our good scoring strategy and leave the game to the refs and the other team. The unintended consequence is that we are training our players how not to score in the final minutes of the game. These players are like thoroughbred horses, ampted up and ready to go. Let them score. It's like a boxing match where one fighter will get ahead on the scorecard and then just run around the ring and avoid contact thereby getting the decision. But you do not see champions doing that. The team works all year on playing team basketball then in the final minutes no team ball anymore just in the hands of one or two players who are going to have to Jack up a shot at some point while being very aggressively guarded. It's like coach is telling the other players thanks for the effort but now we don't trust you. Basketball is a game, the purpose of a game is to win. If you are a good team assert your dominance and win. We are going to lose games here and there, but lets lose them trying for our best.

zag buddy
12-30-2014, 10:03 AM
Zag buddy you make a very compelling case txs

sittingon50
12-30-2014, 10:35 AM
Zag buddy you make a very compelling case txs

:lmao:

Zagdog71
12-30-2014, 11:12 AM
I found the game very dull to watch.

What I want to articulate is that the #7 team in the county should be a dominate team in the WCC and play like a top team. It is clear that we have more talent than the other WCC teams (I've watch several other games around the league.). We will not always play our best, but I feel that this team should not be grinding out wins in the WCC. I want to see a well oiled performance by one of the top programs in the nation. If we can play well against an Arizona, we should bring that play to other games, not play down to the current opponent. This team has lots of talent and plays well together, but they have a long ways to go to be rated a top ten team, IMHO.

Go Zags!

JPtheBeasta
12-30-2014, 12:51 PM
I guess my frustration comes from this slow down strategy at the end of the game to have unintended consequences. I know the goal is to control the ball, run out the clock and not let the other team score. But what I'm afraid I am seeing is that we give up our good scoring strategy and leave the game to the refs and the other team. The unintended consequence is that we are training our players how not to score in the final minutes of the game. These players are like thoroughbred horses, ampted up and ready to go. Let them score. It's like a boxing match where one fighter will get ahead on the scorecard and then just run around the ring and avoid contact thereby getting the decision. But you do not see champions doing that. The team works all year on playing team basketball then in the final minutes no team ball anymore just in the hands of one or two players who are going to have to Jack up a shot at some point while being very aggressively guarded. It's like coach is telling the other players thanks for the effort but now we don't trust you. Basketball is a game, the purpose of a game is to win. If you are a good team assert your dominance and win. We are going to lose games here and there, but lets lose them trying for our best.

We got several good looks and didn't execute. The charge that Saurbaugh drew on Wesley didn't help. Karnowski and Bell both missed bunnies on the same play. That said, this game was never seriously in doubt.

I was more disappointed with how easily San Diego defend the post. Karnowski and Wesley at least made a couple of adjustments and got some passing/slashing going out of the double teams.