PDA

View Full Version : Don't Wake the Sleeping Bear

Ebay
12-29-2014, 10:53 AM
A buddy of mine from BYU showed me this. Pretty funny. Thanks, Jimmy Rex!

http://stbsportstake.com/featured/dont-wake-the-sleeping-bear/

Edited to add:

Pangos' gesture towards the heckler was captured on film !

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-yEojGeKHeQQ/VJ9_rtZgexI/AAAAAAAByQw/xBGIceS_Vg0/s640/2014-12-27%2520Kevin%2520Pangos%2520BYU-1.jpg

Reborn
12-29-2014, 10:59 AM
Great article. I loved reading it. Got a good chuckle out of me. Thanks.

Go Zags!!!

DixieZag
12-29-2014, 11:19 AM
We should send that guy a six pack, or flowers, or a ...ham.

We should also offer to pay him to come to the BYU game in the MAC, get him seats right next to the bench.

bartruff1
12-29-2014, 11:20 AM
Typical BYU Jerks....

sage
12-29-2014, 11:28 AM
Loved it!!!

jyboc
12-29-2014, 11:29 AM
Looks a little old to be heckling kids. I bet his kids soccer games a blast to attend... D-BAG!

DixieZag
12-29-2014, 11:32 AM
Looks a little old to be heckling kids. I bet his kids soccer games a blast to attend... D-BAG!

Hecklers that are very clever can be a fun part of the game.

Hecklers that just throw insults, can take away from the game.

That guy had the one that was "semi" clever.

The rest, just insults, and low grade ones at that.

He got what he deserved.

sittingon50
12-29-2014, 11:41 AM
Get him up here for the rematch (Sr. Nite) & either put in in the front row of the KC (with WooHoo) or next to Pangos' parents. And hire a film crew.

hondo
12-29-2014, 11:43 AM
Screwed with the bull and they got the horn.

Vanzagger
12-29-2014, 12:16 PM
Pangos has enough Elite talent around him to continue to pick his spots. It seems more and more posters are hoping he starts going Dickau on teams. The only thing he is hunting is a National Championship.

Having said that it is nice to see him include a couple Hecklers in the festivities and show he has some Miller in him.

CdAZagFan
12-29-2014, 12:18 PM
Great story... Loved that TV shot of Pangos wagging his tongue as he's flashing the "3" symbol.

bballbeachbum
12-29-2014, 12:20 PM
:roll:

TheGonzagaFactor
12-29-2014, 01:37 PM
His friend Jimmy sounds like a total loser. I hope he enjoyed Silas dunking right in front of him. Classless turds.

sullyzag66
12-29-2014, 01:51 PM
His friend Jimmy sounds like a total loser. I hope he enjoyed Silas dunking right in front of him. Classless turds.

Huh? Sounded pretty tame by KC standards.

Martin Centre Mad Man
12-29-2014, 02:01 PM
I want to go to the WCC Championship game with those guys.

Mr Vulture
12-29-2014, 02:05 PM
I thought the entire article was entertaining and I think the BYU guys were good humored when Pangos went off. In any case, I didn't see anything over the line and glad to see the rivalry grow.

Angelo Roncalli
12-29-2014, 02:12 PM
I thought the entire article was entertaining and I think the BYU guys were good humored when Pangos went off. In any case, I didn't see anything over the line and glad to see the rivalry grow.

I'm with you. This was pretty fun. Trash talking works both ways. My seats in the old Kennedy were only a couple of rows from the court. When Oregon State played at GU when Gary Payton was playing, he dished out a lot of trash to the hometown fans. Before one inbounds play on the sideline, he said to a bunch of us: "Y'all better get ready and watch the spin move I'm gonna put on your boy."

He did.

We did.

madness
12-29-2014, 03:03 PM
I'm with you. This was pretty fun. Trash talking works both ways. My seats in the old Kennedy were only a couple of rows from the court. When Oregon State played at GU when Gary Payton was playing, he dished out a lot of trash to the hometown fans. Before one inbounds play on the sideline, he said to a bunch of us: "Y'all better get ready and watch the spin move I'm gonna put on your boy."

He did.

We did.

Completely agree with both of these sentiments. One of the best parts of the WCC is that you can be a part of the game as a fan. Sitting courtside in these small WCC gyms is fantastic and your voice is definitely heard. For many of the late 90s WCC Tourneys at SCU I was able to sit right behind the benches and "interact" with both teams, the refs, and WCC administrators. If you are a sports fan, you want this experience.

U Zig, I Zag
12-29-2014, 03:28 PM
It was a good write up. Nice story. I wish people would leave Adam alone though.

MTZag03
12-29-2014, 04:09 PM
It was a good write up. Nice story. I wish people would leave Adam alone though.

I think he can handle it. All he has to do is think of his wife, kids, college community and experience, NBA ring, the fact he still gets to do what he loves, and finally millions of dollars. My guess is no heckler can approach any of that.

bartruff1
12-29-2014, 04:13 PM
There are jerks everywhere....even at Gonzaga...I don't go to games to see and hear morons be part of the event..

DixieZag
12-29-2014, 04:25 PM

He did.

We did.

I remember that exact game. I was not right on the court, but about 5 rows up. Was that you guys that were giving him a hard time about missing his FTs? Someone kept telling him "Gary? Elbow in, follow through, come on now!' People also chanted CBA, CBA.

And, as it happened to be, I recall a 360 jam in response, with a laugh.

Are surfing the same wave here?

abarefootboy
12-29-2014, 05:00 PM
i loved everything about the piece ... jeesh ... whether sending up a little flak to the opposing team when you sit behind their bench ... or out of a front row seat along first base .. talking trash when done with wit is a real important part of being an engaged citizen in a Democracy. .. and yes .. we oughta bring those guys to the game when we host BYU.

Zags11
12-29-2014, 08:05 PM
Thought was a funny story.

caduceus
12-29-2014, 09:03 PM
The guy posted the brief story on Twitter and Pangos favorited it. It's all good.

Akzag
12-29-2014, 09:55 PM
I remember that exact game. I was not right on the court, but about 5 rows up. Was that you guys that were giving him a hard time about missing his FTs? Someone kept telling him "Gary? Elbow in, follow through, come on now!' People also chanted CBA, CBA.

And, as it happened to be, I recall a 360 jam in response, with a laugh.

Are surfing the same wave here?

I definitely remember the CBA chant ... then Gary "went all Pangos" on us and turned to salute the KC.

I also thought Jimmy Rex and the linked story were funny. "I" think the players enjoy it. The best feed off of it.

Zag 77
12-29-2014, 10:35 PM
“Hey Morrison, you had the best 5-game career in the history of the NBA.” No reaction. Then Jimmy yells, “Adam! I just wanna know if you lose, are you gonna cry again?” (referring to the former National Player of the Year’s meltdown when the Zags lost a last second stunner to UCLA in the Sweet 16 of the NCAA tournament Morrison’s senior year). Morrison turns and stares directly at us, clearly fed up with the heckling, almost with a sad look on his face. At this point I’m ready to put my head down and point at Jimmy like Jim Carey does in Dumb and Dumber when Harry tosses the salt shaker over his shoulder and hits Sea Bass, but we just stare right back and Morrison shakes his head and shrugs his shoulders at us as if to say, “Bro, why you gotta bring me into this? I’m on the back row of the bench with the trainers, you’re not supposed to even see me.”..

B Wayne
12-30-2014, 07:01 AM
Wow.... there's a lot going on in Provo when a player acknowledging your heckling is the highlight of your night, and is the topic of an article that you spent 5 hours writing and then posted on an obscure website. I am pretty sure Pangos went off because he was open and BYU plays awful defense, not because some guy all hopped up on Mountain Dew was hurling non curse word insults at him. Let's hope this guy doesn't see Tyler Haws walking around Provo, because he might just pee down the leg of his khakis....

One of the best posts I've read. I really don't accept the whole paradigm of heckling. I used to think it was funny. When I was about 12 years old. Now i don't because it can be mean spirited. Also, it says more about the heckler than it does about the player. I can't help but see the heckler as an insecure little man inside trying to make his own life seem important at the expense of others.

ChicagoZag
12-30-2014, 07:24 AM
I recall the Oregon State game in 1989. I think it was a Saturday night and I was trying to study for finals and listening to the game on the radio (was Dick Wright the name of our radio announcer who could get so riled up at the time?). I think Jim McPhee was keeping us in the game for most of the first half, so I made my way over and probably sat about third row for the second half (my, how times have changed). Got to see Oregon State lose to Ball State on a buzzer beater in NCAAs on spring break in Salt Lake that same season.

From that same season, I'll never forget the trash talking and opponent/fan interaction when LMU came to town. It was fun. It was brutal. After the game I remember LMU players coming right over to the student section to get the final word. I also seem to recall running into Lions guard Jeff Fryer (surfer guy haircut was his crime) at a house party later that night who complimentary of the quality of trash talking that the early version of the Kennel Club had dished out.

former1dog
12-30-2014, 07:43 AM

He did.

We did.
I was at that game also. I recall Payton taking us to the woodshed in that one, I'm sure partially motivated by the heckling.

I also remember him making a very obscene gesture to the KC on his way off the court after they dispatched our team.

basketballzag
12-30-2014, 08:38 AM
I'm okay with heckling so long as its witty and clever. People who aren't witty/clever and who just yell obscenities or sling inappropriate abusive language onto the court are idiots with IQs of less than 20. No one thinks they are funny and they look really stupid to everyone around them.

The heckling these guys did I don't find offensive at all--the Morrison one was cheap and uninspiring--but the others were pretty darn good. People do need to understand though that players can and will often use the hecklers as inspiration to play better as we saw in Pangos' reaction.

Dogtownkid
12-30-2014, 09:59 AM
I was told that Quentin Hall's Bahamian accent was pretty strong and that it was sometimes hard for his opponents to understand when he trash-talked to them.

Anyone else remember this?

Zagger
12-30-2014, 11:32 AM
Yep, good story. Some things people take too seariously - others not seriously enough. That's life! :)