PDA

View Full Version : Black uniforms ( The Mega Thread )

Zag 77
02-12-2009, 09:48 PM
Burn the Black Uniforms

And that is really how I feel. Now that they had the stupid things on after so much hype, they are not worth it. And don't be an idiot and give Nike $70 for a replica. They don't need it.

Burn the damn things or give them to Goodwill.

zagfan08
02-12-2009, 09:53 PM
Interesting, I thought they looked pretty good.

Wouldn't buy one since we almost never wear anything other than blue and white, but I didn't think they looked bad.

ZagMan in Philly
02-12-2009, 09:57 PM
Since we won with the new jerseys on, i like it.
How many teams put their nick names in front of their jerseys? I can't think of one.

A keeper.

GonzagaDynasty
02-12-2009, 09:58 PM
Interesting, I thought they looked pretty good.

Wouldn't buy one since we almost never wear anything other than blue and white, but I didn't think they looked bad.

the only thing I dont like about these uniforms, is that they are the new tight style... other than that, I think they are sick. I love them.. Its too bad they cant bust as some retro 99 jersey's though. Best Unis ever.

Zag 77
02-12-2009, 09:59 PM
I was afraid somebody would say that.

zagfan16
02-12-2009, 09:59 PM
The shorts would definately be worth owning, overall I dont think they are bad alternates. Much better than the red ones.

vandalzag
02-12-2009, 10:00 PM
And that is really how I feel. Now that they had the stupid things on after so much hype, they are not worth it. And don't be an idiot and give Nike $70 for a replica. They don't need it.

77 I am getting mixed signals here. Stop beating around the bush.

2011Zag
02-12-2009, 10:03 PM
Love 'em. I really like the all black especially the black shoes with high black socks.

Once and Future Zag
02-12-2009, 10:04 PM
I like everything about them.

The midnight blue around the arms is my favorite touch. Very distinctive and classy. I'd like to see a white version (with the old school '98 blue around the sleeves) of this style.

Then again, I rather like most of the UofO football unis (though some combinations are miserable, and some are amazing)

MedZag
02-12-2009, 10:06 PM
I hated them when the internet image was posted on the board a couple weeks back.

After seeing them in action, I really dig them. Unconventional? Sure. Traditional? Hardly. But they aren't gaudy. I like the "Zags" across the front. And the lines down the back of the jersey and shorts with the blue highlights on the shoulders was a good touch IMO.

Light years better than the reds with the navy blue names on the back. Ick.

gobroncsgozags
02-12-2009, 10:10 PM
I actually liked the look up close. But, they didn't look as good during the main shot. It was hard, on my TV at least, to distinguish between players. Most have dark hair, so they all looked like dark lumps running around.

Edit: Why don't people like the Red unis?

BroncoZAG615
02-12-2009, 10:14 PM
Great uniforms....same issues. The jersey doesn't matter folks.

GonzagaDynasty
02-12-2009, 10:14 PM
I actually liked the look up close. But, they didn't look as good during the main shot. It was hard, on my TV at least, to distinguish between players. Most have dark hair, so they all looked like dark lumps running around.

Yeah the game wasnt in HD so It was hard to get a good look at the Uniforms.

I loved the red unis, but the navy blue names was terrible.. If they would have made the names white, they would have been perfect.

BigTymeONIONS
02-12-2009, 10:17 PM
I really liked the new black jerseys. I like the ZAGS on the front and the dark blue highlights on the edges. Why do people hate anything not blue or white? Everyone has alternates.

CelticZag
02-12-2009, 10:22 PM
Love the new jerseys. Ninja-style....

:starwars:

MontanaZag
02-12-2009, 10:43 PM
I think they give us swagger, and we need it badly. LOVE EM!!

Zagguy
02-12-2009, 10:49 PM
These unis are far better than hyped. These are kids - they don't play for 50 something alums, they play for their team and their school. I think they looked pretty darn good.

rennis
02-12-2009, 11:10 PM
I liked them. And Pargo actually truly LOOKED like a linebacker wearing them...

JAGzag
02-13-2009, 02:48 AM
They were great and hope we continue to use them!

McZag
02-13-2009, 03:32 AM

Ditto. Blue and White. Those are our colors. Period.

kitzbuel
02-13-2009, 04:16 AM

Agree. I don't think they look bad, but they are harder to distinguish on the TV than the other unis.

CTDeSmetZagAlum
02-13-2009, 05:09 AM
i applaud the uniforms.

I did NOT like the uni's we wore against Memphis - and it is not because of the superstition thing of losing either, they just looked horrible - the shinyness and all. I like the idea of not having the last name on the back of the jersey - more team comradery, at least from a spectator's view

baitcast
02-13-2009, 05:16 AM
They were OK,I would like to see ZAGS on the front of everything:)
Rob in AZ.

JoeZag
02-13-2009, 05:18 AM
I am kind of an old guy and my wife and I both thought that the uniforms looked very sharp. I liked the shorts and my wife liked the snug-fitting tops because she said you could see what great shape these kids are in. ;) If the unis make the kids feel better about themselves, so be it.

4AmericasTeam
02-13-2009, 05:25 AM

We had a split of opinion at my house. I'm with you "77" -- I think they look awful.

77Zag
02-13-2009, 05:43 AM
They were fine, actually a bit intimidating; but would have liked the names on the jerseys --
And yes, i'm as old at the other 77 --

We can all accept change - especially with a win, a 4 game lead on SMC and Omar stinking it up again vs. the Zags.

SMC may be playing on Saturday in Vegas.

Zagsker
02-13-2009, 05:52 AM
How many teams put their nick names in front of their jerseys? I can't think of one.

A keeper.

agree

thought they were pretty sweet

Talking with a buddy of mine and I thought it would be sweet if they had an alternate Uni that had GU right in the middle of the chest...instead of Zags or Gonzaga

LongIslandZagFan
02-13-2009, 06:06 AM
We've seen the new whites (Memphis), the blacks (last night), now hoping to see the new blues.

BTW I thought they looked great and would have liked to seen them in HD.

Angelo Roncalli
02-13-2009, 06:10 AM
I liked em. I particularly like the "ZAGS" on the chest.

GUZagDenver
02-13-2009, 06:21 AM
Those uni's were sick. And I agree, we are talking about 19 and 20 year old kids here. Let them wear what they want. They are the only reason that any of us are on this board, anyway. I love the older crowd's perceived "hip-hop" influence on our team because we wore some black uniforms. WHO CARES!!

cjm720
02-13-2009, 06:47 AM
I think the new unis are great, especially the no name on the back...all about team. If I had to gripe about something, they sure do look a lot like Duke's unis save for the red ZAGS lettering.

GO ZAGS!!

Bulldog
02-13-2009, 06:54 AM
Old guy here, but thought they were great.
Looks like the vote so far is in favor of the Zags uni's.

tobizag
02-13-2009, 06:56 AM
Love 'em. I really like the all black especially the black shoes with high black socks.

though bouldin and meech didn't get the memo as they were wearing white socks...bouldin actually had on his white shoes too.

they definitely were sick looking. very well designed, looked sharp. i just didn't feel like i was watching gonzaga play, though. just have to get used to them i suppose. i thought our home whites were actually worse than these. hope the new road blues are cool.

jhoop
02-13-2009, 07:20 AM
remind me of something a Bob Huggins team would wear. That's not a good thing, IMO. I vote with 77.

Zaggy
02-13-2009, 07:28 AM
It was nice to finally see the much talked about black jerseys. Loved that they have "Zags" on the front, although try explaining to everyone in a bar what a zag is (who knew it could be so diffcult). My vote is the black uni is a keeper (especially if compared to the red uniforms, lets hope they are going to burned).

NevadaZag
02-13-2009, 07:31 AM
I don't like uniforms that are not our colors. If they were dark navy, fine, but black? I don't get it. And I think the black socks and black shoes kind of look silly. Better than the accursed reds, though. When I see those red uniforms, it makes me think of 20+ point losses to Memphis. Grr.

Zag 77
02-13-2009, 07:34 AM
How do you get the little emoticon that is barfing? That is the "sick" I refer to.

Reminds me too much of the Oakland Raiders and Al Davis. Yuck.

gamagin
02-13-2009, 07:40 AM
and say it's too late. the vote was in before we even saw the new togs.

ZagNut08
02-13-2009, 07:44 AM
I like them, would like a slightly different font, but overall, keep them in the rotation

hockeyzag
02-13-2009, 08:04 AM
Wow 77, you might want to change the title of this thread, most that have posted seem to like the new uni's.

I thought they were alright, but some of the players looked better in them then others. Austin, Pargo, Gray, Bouldin, Micah, and Meech all looked really good in them. I thought Austin in particular looked really sharp but maybe it was just that his undershirt had to be tighter and wasn't flopping all over the place like usual.

zagzealot
02-13-2009, 08:26 AM
I would not normally weigh in on a uniform thread but I have to...

I wanted to hate these uniforms and I was all prepared to hate them. But after seeing them on the guys I LOVE them! My kids said they're totally pimp, I say they're fly. :D

They looked best on the guys that look intimidating already, IRA, Pargo, and it brought out an intimidating presence in Gray and Bouldin. Bouldin's arms popped in that jersey. I'm just sorry I didn't get to see Sacre in that uni...;)

IrishZagFan
02-13-2009, 08:30 AM
Some nice photo's over at the Spokesman site.

One in particular attests to ZZ's affection for Bouldin's arms. He is ripped.

GU vs St. Marys Feb 12 (http://www.spokesman.com/photosets/2009/feb/12/gonzaga-vs-st-marys-feb-12/)

adoptedzag
02-13-2009, 08:40 AM
They were fine, actually a bit intimidating; but would have liked the names on the jerseys --
And yes, i'm as old at the other 77 --

We can all accept change - especially with a win, a 4 game lead on SMC and Omar stinking it up again vs. the Zags.

SMC may be playing on Saturday in Vegas.

My favorite part of the unis is that they didn't have the names on the back. I don't care what color/snugness etc. I'm just not a fan of the names, especially in an age of "look at me, ma!".

edit to say: "Oh neat, my 100th post..."

zagzealot
02-13-2009, 08:52 AM
Some nice photo's over at the Spokesman site.

One in particular attests to ZZ's affection for Bouldin's arms. He is ripped.

GU vs St. Marys Feb 12 (http://www.spokesman.com/photosets/2009/feb/12/gonzaga-vs-st-marys-feb-12/)

Holy Schnikies! Thank you IZF! Thank you. Poster size print on order. :p

Oregon Zag
02-13-2009, 09:03 AM
I think the new uniforms look sharp. I don't mind the names on the backs. Sometimes it helps id a player when the camera only catches a glimpse. Loved the "Zags" on the front.

Pargo the Destroyer
02-13-2009, 09:15 AM
said it before say it again, love em.

ZagSlug
02-13-2009, 09:21 AM
Royal blue baby, royal blue.

webspinnre
02-13-2009, 09:24 AM
I don't so much mind the look as I mind that black isn't one of our school's colors. At least the red was an accent color. Stick with the Blue and White. Keep it classic.

D Hark 2003
02-13-2009, 09:25 AM
I think they looked OK but i dont know why a uniform would give anyone swagger. Swagger comes from attitude and if you need the color black to give you that then something is wrong.

My wrestling coach in high school said it is scientifically proven that the color RED is the color that brings out the most aggression in people so we painted our wrestling room red. I like the Red Jerseys.

With that being said I think we should go back to the Royal blue color of the elite 8 squad, and hopefully coach few can instill some confidence and swagger in the kids without them wearing black jerseys.

On another note i watched the game with a mixture of WSU and UW fans and they all said the black uniforms were ugly.

Colbyspapa
02-13-2009, 09:28 AM
But I really did not like Zags on the front. Our school is Gonzaga, we are the Bulldogs. Zags is a nickname. I travel for a living and in most of my sales presentations, I talk about my time at Gonzaga. Many people don't know the bulldogs are our mascot. They always ask me what a "Zag" is.

I love our nickname... It also teaches people how to say Gonzaga, but on our unis, I prefer my school or my official mascot.

D Hark 2003
02-13-2009, 09:31 AM
I agree with Colby about the official name or mascot on the jerseys.

Bulldogs sounds much tougher than ZAGS.

Most people unfamiliar with GU dont know what a zag is.

HillBillyZag
02-13-2009, 09:31 AM
Actually they looked much better than I thought they would. At any rate we WON and if the kids want to wear 'em thats good enough for me.I really luved the script Zags".

Das Zagger
02-13-2009, 09:41 AM
If our recruits like them, then I like them.

El Voce
02-13-2009, 09:53 AM
I am an old fart, and really don't much like alternate jerseys just on principle. Like Zealot, my wife and I were ready to hate them. But, truth be said, we both thought they looked pretty darn sharp. We both liked the blue piping on the edges, and we also liked the "ZAGS" on front. They look much, much sharper that the reds did.

heavyzag
02-13-2009, 10:00 AM
I love them, if I locate a t-shirt like them I will snag it up in a hurry

zagnut52
02-13-2009, 10:19 AM
I too, saw them as OK. My favorite is still blue though. I didn't think they were too bad. Just my 2 cents worth.:)

FuManShoes
02-13-2009, 10:19 AM
I dug the black, though consider the obnoxiously baggy shorts that come witth the Nike FIT jersey a bit clownish. I don't understand the sentimental love for the old royal blue unis. Royal blue, especially with a satin finish, is just ridiculous, no matter the memories associated with it.

Regular road:
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2008/02/18/2004189165.jpg

Black:
http://imgs.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2009/02/13/sp-stmarys13_ph1_0499792945.jpg

Red:
http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/2830/pargo2ai5.jpg

Goofy fabric, great memories
http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/0802/beck.bestshots/images/LED02S(2).jpg

mendiant
02-13-2009, 10:23 AM
I thought they were FABULOUS!

Pargo looked especially sharp with the t-shirt underneath...

Love 'em!

mendiant,
unofficial stylist for the Zags

omahazag
02-13-2009, 10:41 AM
I thought they were FABULOUS!

Pargo looked especially sharp with the t-shirt underneath...

Love 'em!

mendiant,
unofficial stylist for the Zags

I'm with ya; great look.

You know, half the battle is how you look. Now, if we could only.......

CanadZag
02-13-2009, 10:45 AM
Since everyone is throwing in their two cents.

They are OK at best.

Liked the "ZAGS" on the front.

I think the black and blue is too dark.

I LOVE THE REDS!!! Bring 'em back. I know I'm in the minority. But I think they are so much better than the blacks.

But next year- with Rob, Kelly, Manny, Kong- we should have the reds and put a maple leaf on the front.

Just sayin'

-Maybe the black jerseys were too over-hyped all season for me.

ZagLawGrad
02-13-2009, 11:21 AM
MIB looked sharp

And I still like the red, too. No Stevie Wonder Superstition here.

GDaleZag
02-13-2009, 11:54 AM
As brian wheeler would say, they were "NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASTY"

Thought they looked great. can't wait to pick myself up a daye one when/if it comes out.

UberZagFan
02-13-2009, 01:07 PM
Uber likes the black unis. Nice "alternative". And the ZAGS on the front is money. so money.

As for those who couldn't tell the players apart, uh, yeah, you need to watch some more GU bball.

Tmac5360
02-13-2009, 02:12 PM
I dig them. They look great and that kind of more fitted look is what a lot of teams are going to. All in all they were great!!!

Shanachie
02-13-2009, 02:16 PM
I'm not a fan of alternate uniforms - especially those not in the school colors - but on their own merits, I think these looked pretty good.

drogba11
02-13-2009, 02:55 PM
I'm not a huge fan of the tight tops and baggy bottoms. Syracuse wears this style and they look like girls playing tennis. Seriously the shorts are so baggy that is looks like a big skirt. I would like to see a baggier top. Black just doesn't work for the white guys. Pargo looked like a stud, but I would have to say no to these vader uniforms.

gamagin
02-13-2009, 03:33 PM
[QUOTE=CanadZag;366379]Since everyone is throwing in their two cents.
But next year- with Rob, Kelly, Manny, Kong- we should have the reds and put a maple leaf on the front. >>

has a Fleur di Li tatoo, fwiw.

Das Zagger
02-13-2009, 04:10 PM
And the ZAGS on the front is money. so money.

So money and they don't even know it.

bballbeachbum
02-13-2009, 06:20 PM
I think the new unis are great, especially the no name on the back...all about team.

GO ZAGS!!!

snebzag
02-13-2009, 07:02 PM
Better dead than Red I say.
Superstious-Yes.
Black 1-0
Once a year would be Ok. Just don't make a habit of it.

Zag4Hire
02-14-2009, 08:42 AM
I thought the black unis were a great look. Very sleek and very modern. DZ hit the nail on the head:

If our recruits like them, then I like them.

As for people saying that the school is Gonzaga, the team name is the Bulldogs, and the colors are blue and white: IT IS AN ALTERNATE JERSEY! Hence the adjective, ALTERNATE. If you have an alternate jersey and your road/home jerseys have used your school colors, obviously you are going to have to pick another color for it to be an ALTERNATE JERSEY. Also ZMP hit another good point.

A keeper.

D Hark 2003
02-14-2009, 09:47 AM
bring out the royal blue with new fabric not that satin late 80s early 90s style, and keep the reds. THe black jerseys looked like a summer league AAU team cheap jersey to me.

Didnt anyone ever tell you that navy and black is a fashion no no... LOL

brosco13
02-14-2009, 09:59 AM
I agree with D Hark, the blacks looked like summer league or even summer camp jerseys. They remind me of the uniforms baseball teams wear during spring training. Bring back the royal blue color with the modern style jersey using the navy jersey template. Those would be nice. Also keep the reds and also use the navy jerseys at times, but get rid of the black practice jerseys.

look at the words "GUBoards" up above, what colors are they?

vaboris
02-14-2009, 01:15 PM
I bet fans in the nosebleeds can't tell if the jerseys say "Zags" or "Duke" on the front. Pretty dang similar from up there...

ZagMan in Philly
02-14-2009, 01:24 PM
Hahhh, watch enough college bb and you will see...the Syracuse Orangemen has the word "Orange" on the front of their jersey in today's game. If you saw it, you would take our Zags jerseys over theirs any day. Trust me.

So, there are two teams that have their nick names on the front of the jerseys, that I know of.

Shanachie
02-14-2009, 01:33 PM
I agree with Colby about the official name or mascot on the jerseys.

Bulldogs sounds much tougher than ZAGS.

Most people unfamiliar with GU dont know what a zag is.

As far as "official" name or mascot, the media guide lists the nickname as "Bulldogs; Zags".

I like having "Zags" on the front of the unis. It reminds me of Michigan State having just "State" on the front of theirs. It has a little swagger to it.

As an aside, who exactly is watching that isn't familiar enough with GU to know that "Zags" comes from "Gonzaga"?

seasontixholder
02-14-2009, 03:31 PM
These uniforms are commercial products aimed at suburban kids burdened with average IQs, insecurities and short tools.

Thus, mission accomplished. Keep them.

RenoZag
02-14-2009, 03:42 PM
http://images.huffingtonpost.com/gadgets/slideshows/973/slide_973_16329_large.jpg

No Tee Shirt Necessary

;)

S.U. Chieftain
02-14-2009, 04:37 PM
Hahhh, watch enough college bb and you will see...the Syracuse Orangemen has the word "Orange" on the front of their jersey in today's game. If you saw it, you would take our Zags jerseys over theirs any day. Trust me.

So, there are two teams that have their nick names on the front of the jerseys, that I know of.

I believe Virginia Tech has "HOKIES" on an alternate orange jersey they wore at a game this year.

Once and Future Zag
02-14-2009, 05:01 PM
These uniforms are commercial products aimed at suburban kids burdened with average IQs, insecurities and short tools.

Thus, mission accomplished. Keep them.

Thanks for the insults - as I like the Blacks.

Idiot.

RenoZag
02-14-2009, 06:16 PM
Sorry, boys, but complain all you want. Black is sexy.

So is Royal Blue. . .

http://dailystab.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/halle-berry-fire-premiere0.jpg

;)

snebzag
02-14-2009, 06:44 PM
Are we still talking about basketball uniforms?????

Zag79
02-15-2009, 01:42 AM
what? :D

NotoriousZ
02-15-2009, 07:46 AM
I'd prefer the front to say GONZAGA instead of ZAGS, but still lightyears ahead of the reds.

Zag 77
12-06-2014, 08:55 PM
I hate those damned black uniforms. Douse them in kerosene and burn them. GU's colors are blue and white. Nike has enough money and we don't need to model something else they can sell. Those things cost $75 and Nike probably makes $70 profit.

We are not the Oakland Raiders.

gonzagafan62
12-06-2014, 08:57 PM
I hate those damned black uniforms. Douse them in kerosene and burn them. GU's colors are blue and white. Nike has enough money and we don't need to model something else they can sell. Those things cost $75 and Nike probably makes $70 profit.

I've been saying this for years. We have not won te names in these uniforms and have we even won 5? We need to go retro blue unis. Anything but black or red. Ugh!!!!

ZagLawGrad
12-06-2014, 08:59 PM
Nike and Oregon have ruined unis. So many team's unis don't resemble their roots anymore.

seacatfan
12-06-2014, 09:03 PM
Totally agree. There should be a moratorium on teams wearing black unis if black is not one of their primary colors. Gray too. Don't like the look on the Zags anyway. Give my some blue please.

gonzagafan62
12-06-2014, 09:03 PM
Nike and Oregon have ruined unis. So many team's unis don't resemble their roots anymore.

Oregon is evil too

gonzagabasketball
12-06-2014, 09:09 PM
I've been saying this for years. We have not won te names in these uniforms and have we even won 5? We need to go retro blue unis. Anything but black or red. Ugh!!!!

I swear to God I will kick my dog if I see them roll out in those red uniforms again. I dont have a dog. I will acquire one if need be. Please, on behalf of puppies and Sarah McLachlin, GU, do not wear red again.

mgadfly
12-07-2014, 06:44 AM
This may sound silly, but I remember being recruited as a seventeen year old and the uniform colors playing a role in the process. I'd continue the tradition of letting the players have a say about what color jerseys we have because it isn't just Nike sales that may benefit.

I'm getting old, so I would like to see the blue jerseys from 1998-99, but I realize my opinion isn't the only one or even the one that counts.

RenoZag
12-07-2014, 07:28 AM
GU's colors are blue and white.

According to the "Game Notes" press releases published by the GU Sports Information department before every game (and available HERE , (http://www.gozags.com/fls/26400/MEN'S%20BASKETBALL/14-15notes/20141206atArizona.pdf?SPID=90846&DB_OEM_ID=26400)
Gonzaga's school colors are Blue, White, and Red. ( See Page 7 of the PDF )

I would like to see a return to road Blue uniforms too, but I think that ship has sailed. It's kind of like asking them to put "Bulldogs" on the front of the road uniform jersey instead of "Zags".

Never a fan of the Red uniforms either but at least they represented one of the school's colors.

Pargo the Destroyer
12-07-2014, 07:46 AM
According to the "Game Notes" press releases published by the GU Sports Information department before every game (and available HERE , (http://www.gozags.com/fls/26400/MEN'S%20BASKETBALL/14-15notes/20141206atArizona.pdf?SPID=90846&DB_OEM_ID=26400)
Gonzaga's school colors are Blue, White, and Red. ( See Page 7 of the PDF )

I would like to see a return to road Blue uniforms too, but I think that ship has sailed. It's kind of like asking them to put "Bulldogs" on the front of the road uniform jersey instead of "Zags".

Never a fan of the Red uniforms either but at least they represented one of the school's colors.

New uniforms this year. We will see it at the Memphis game. Not sure if it's an updated home and away elite jersey or another alt. Uniform. Still love the blacks. Just don't like the results.

TravelinZag
12-07-2014, 07:51 AM
Have read posts by high school recruits rejecting some excellent programs because of the uniforms. Shallow? Immature? Yup. Possessed of the same great judgement all the contributors to this board had when we were 16 and 17? For me and I suspect most here, suspect their judgement now is about the same as ours then. But who can remember clearly? Still, it does seem GU has not done well in basic black, and without evidence to the contrary . . . . Perhaps the most important question is what uniforms make the players feel great, or does it make any difference at all to them? If they want to play in green and purple stripes, and they win in them, I won't like the look but I'll be all for it!

ZagMan in Philly
12-07-2014, 07:54 AM
Can't blame the black uniforms for the losses.
I like them , they give us a tough attitude.

DixieZag
12-07-2014, 07:58 AM
I would like them if we won in them regularly. We make a bigger deal about it than most fans, which is fine. I wish we would have gone down there in the dark blue we wear on the road in conference - let them know there's nothing special about AZ. But, that's me.

I actually think a dark grey option, with blue and red trim would be cool.

VaBeachZAG
12-07-2014, 08:04 AM
I would like them if we won in them regularly. We make a bigger deal about it than most fans, which is fine. I wish we would have gone down there in the dark blue we wear on the road in conference - let them know there's nothing special about AZ. But, that's me.

I actually think a dark grey option, with blue and red trim would be cool.

Agree with everything you say, but my faulty memory can not recall a single big-time game the Zags have won with red or black uniforms. The red brings back unhappy memories of Memphis and the first thought with black is Duke in MSG and UNC in the sweet 16. I just want them gone!

RenoZag
12-07-2014, 08:13 AM
Memories, oh sweet memories. . .was surprised there have been at least as many threads on the uniform topic as Francis the Goat sightings at Jack & Dan's. . .

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?18163-Alternate-Jerseys&highlight=Burn+Unis

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?43464-New-Uniforms-cursed&highlight=uniforms

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?33950-Blue-Uni-s&highlight=uniforms

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?20103-Uniforms&highlight=uniforms

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?8616-To-Red-or-Not-to-Red&highlight=uniforms

LongIslandZagFan
12-07-2014, 08:23 AM
Not on board with hating on the black unis yet... although... I'm starting down the path.

Reds... The Reds are dead, baby, the reds are dead.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-zG24WyiG-GM/TZMKcwDoCiI/AAAAAAAAAY8/Pr9dYWR9R98/s1600/pulpfiction00001.png

ZagLawGrad
12-07-2014, 11:14 AM
Have read posts by high school recruits rejecting some excellent programs because of the uniforms. Shallow? Immature? Yup. Possessed of the same great judgement all the contributors to this board had when we were 16 and 17? For me and I suspect most here, suspect their judgement now is about the same as ours then. But who can remember clearly? Still, it does seem GU has not done well in basic black, and without evidence to the contrary . . . . Perhaps the most important question is what uniforms make the players feel great, or does it make any difference at all to them? If they want to play in green and purple stripes, and they win in them, I won't like the look but I'll be all for it!

Like I said earlier, Nike has ruined unis, and the Ducks have set the high water mark for going away from tradition. And recruits pay attention to unis. So it is the fad to go with the black, the way I see it.

seacatfan
12-07-2014, 11:21 AM
Lie I said earlier, Nike has ruined unis, and the Ducks have set the high water mark for going away from tradition. And recruits pay attention to unis. So it is the fad to go with the black, the way I see it.

I find it interesting that some of the traditional football power from WAY back have not significantly altered their uniforms in forever. Very basic, maybe even bland. Alabama, USC, Penn St., probably a few others. Lack of flashy uniforms does not stop Alabama from getting their pick of top recruits every year and challenging for a National Title on an annual basis. Apparently some 17-18 year old kids are capable of picking a school based on the program itself, and not the variety of weird mix and match uniforms they can choose from.

Everything about Oregon is tacky. They are nouveau riche.

BTB
12-07-2014, 01:03 PM
I love our black unis. I'm always excited when we roll them out. They're very sharp looking, and plus I'm sure the players got to choose what color they wore. We only wear the blacks one or two times a year, it's exciting to change things up once in a while.

Birddog
12-07-2014, 03:15 PM
Burn the Black Uniforms
It's a work in progress, the staff has started with resdhirts.

CaliforniaZaggin'
12-07-2014, 08:04 PM
I like 'em. And I'm pretty certain that the color of the uniforms affect the outcome about as much as the rabbit's foot in my dresser drawer.

CDC84
12-07-2014, 08:11 PM
What I dislike more than GU's black uniforms are all these uniforms throughout college basketball where you can't even read the player's number on your TV set. The Florida Gator road unis come to mind. Even the announcers who were working the Florida/Kansas game said that it was hard to identify the individual Gator players even from courtside.

ZagLawGrad
12-07-2014, 08:13 PM
And along with the Oregon/Nike U impact on ugly unis, throw in that ugly court the Ducks play on.

Section 116
12-07-2014, 08:15 PM
Few said on his show this evening in regards to fan question about how the uniform color is chosen for a game, he pretty much leaves it up to the seniors. He said we took the blue and the black to Arizona and went with the black. He said Nike makes some pretty nice stuff for us but he didn't mention any other colors. And no he is not superstitious regarding uniform color. He doesn't care what color the guys wear as long as they play hard. He did say the guys really like the black ones, so I'm thinking as with most things related to GU basketball it really doesn't matter what we on the board think.

gonstu
12-07-2014, 08:35 PM
Few said on his show this evening in regards to fan question about how the uniform color is chosen for a game, he pretty much leaves it up to the seniors. He said we took the blue and the black to Arizona and went with the black. He said Nike makes some pretty nice stuff for us but he didn't mention any other colors. And no he is not superstitious regarding uniform color. He doesn't care what color the guys wear as long as they play hard. He did say the guys really like the black ones, so I'm thinking as with most things related to GU basketball it really doesn't matter what we on the board think.

Few must not realize that if they were wearing the blue uniforms Wesley would have made his FTs.

If it's up to the seniors, I'm ok with that!

GU32
12-07-2014, 08:50 PM
New uniforms this year. We will see it at the Memphis game. Not sure if it's an updated home and away elite jersey or another alt. Uniform. Still love the blacks. Just don't like the results.

Nice! I'm a uniform junkie... any idea what they look like?

Pargo the Destroyer
12-07-2014, 09:43 PM

I didn't ask. I was just told look out for something down the road. There are more well connected people on the boards than myself but I doubt even they know. Guess we shall see. The throwback to the 99 team colors would be sweet though.

LongIslandZagFan
12-08-2014, 06:07 AM
And along with the Oregon/Nike U impact on ugly unis, throw in that ugly court the Ducks play on.

You mean the one where it initially it looks like a sander accident they didn't bother fixing?

wiszag
12-08-2014, 06:24 AM
As soon as the game came on, I shouted a very naughty word at the TV. Being in a crowded bar in Chicago, my wife gave me the "what the hell?" look. I muttered something about the dreaded black unis. Her response, "Geez, seriously? Isn't that a tadbit childish?" My response, "Yep."

Great game, horrible result. Burn the black unis, too many bad memories. It isn't rational but it is right.

GonzagasaurusFlex
12-08-2014, 07:25 AM

The kids like it, everybody's doing it...what the hell.

webspinnre
12-08-2014, 07:37 AM
I'm not bothered by the black uniforms. Yes, I know black isn't one of our colors, but they look slick, with the blue trim, and I have no superstitions about uniforms. I thought the red ones looked ugly.

basketballzag
12-08-2014, 07:40 AM

I believe Gonzaga should follow in the footsteps of Dean Smith at North Carolina and give each player the ability to design their own uniform to be used in one game (either away or home) and they get three credit hours towards graduation in Apparel Design. Apparel design and basketball hoops go hand in hand and think of getting a B.A. in Basketball apparel design--we would attract some of the best dressed basketball players from across the country to our university. Bobzag & Jazz I believe actually suggested this idea years ago so I can take credit for it.

Chicken Ball
12-08-2014, 08:02 AM
I believe Gonzaga should follow in the footsteps of Dean Smith at North Carolina and give each player the ability to design their own uniform to be used in one game (either away or home) and they get three credit hours towards graduation in Apparel Design. Apparel design and basketball hoops go hand in hand and think of getting a B.A. in Basketball apparel design--we would attract some of the best dressed basketball players from across the country to our university. Bobzag & Jazz I believe actually suggested this idea years ago so I can take credit for it.

Can we please not follow any of UNC's academic practices for its student-athletes? Like, ever?

Angelo Roncalli
12-08-2014, 09:51 AM
I'm not bothered by the black uniforms. Yes, I know black isn't one of our colors, but they look slick, with the blue trim, and I have no superstitions about uniforms. I thought the red ones looked ugly.

If the players like them, I don't care. What I have a hard time believing is that we have a number of well-educated posters who harbor some belief that the color of the uniform has some affect on the outcome of the game.

gonzagafan62
12-08-2014, 09:56 AM
yup

ZagaZags
12-08-2014, 09:59 AM
If the players like them, I don't care. What I have a hard time believing is that we have a number of well-educated posters who harbor some belief that the color of the uniform has some affect on the outcome of the game.

I thought we lost because I forgot to wear my lucky GU hat.

gonzagafan62
12-08-2014, 10:00 AM

Well the record isn't good.

ZagMan in Philly
12-08-2014, 10:05 AM
We should only wear black unis when playing Pepperdine. That will bring up that percentage.

Angelo Roncalli
12-08-2014, 10:06 AM

And that establishes cause and effect?

gonzagafan62
12-08-2014, 10:06 AM
We should only wear black unis when playing Pepperdine. That will bring up that percentage.

Hahaha. +1

LongIslandZagFan
12-08-2014, 10:51 AM

Superstitions... which I am guilty of... don't need cause and effect Pontiff. IMHO... reds are bad bad luck... blacks are starting down that road. Stop trying to bring logic into it. As Yoda says... That... is where you fail.

TheGonzagaFactor
12-08-2014, 10:53 AM
I love the black unis. They are sharp.

We've had some devastating losses in the white jerseys (TX Tech, Wichita, Nevada x2, Wyoming, Steph Curry, Portland State, SMC on a buzzer beater, Wake Forest, Santa Clara in K2, UConn in Seattle....) No one wants to burn those, why? We could get away with a light grey home jersey or redesign the white one.

We lost to UCLA in the blue jerseys, that alone should be enough to burn 'em.

Personally, I like all of our jerseys that we currently wear. The ones I didn't like were the red (I know I'm not alone) and the dark navy ones we wore at Butler and at BYU 2 years ago. They were OK but the "Bulldogs" across the back reminded me of middle school. Team names don't belong on the back of the jersey. Corny. The shorts were awesome, though.

I think our black jerseys are some of the best in college basketball along with Marquette's powder blues. I've still got my black Elias Harris jersey and wear it all the time.

gonzagafan62
12-08-2014, 10:55 AM

Of course they do. I own red and black Zag merchandise.... I never wear them because even in the real world its bad luck. I stick to my white and blue merchandise. I never wear the red or black. But its nice for my wardrobe.

seasontixholder
12-08-2014, 11:05 AM
Not that big of a deal to me, but I would deny the use of '99 blue until the Elite 8 is reached again. They don't merit it until it happens.

TheGonzagaFactor
12-08-2014, 11:07 AM
Agree with everything you say, but my faulty memory can not recall a single big-time game the Zags have won with red or black uniforms. The red brings back unhappy memories of Memphis and the first thought with black is Duke in MSG and UNC in the sweet 16. I just want them gone!

We wore the black unis at Oklahoma State 2 years ago, as well as the win over Illinois at United Center. I'm sure there are others, but those come to mind.

gonzagafan62
12-08-2014, 11:10 AM
We wore the black unis at Oklahoma State 2 years ago, as well as the win over Illinois at United Center. I'm sure there are others, but those come to mind.

Win @BYU was also 2 years ago that we won. There are exceptions to the rule always...

seacatfan
12-08-2014, 01:34 PM
Sports and superstition go hand in hand. I'm sure there are books written about some really funky pregame rituals or articles of clothing, etc. athletes cling to because they believe they are "lucky." Doesn't matter if it's irrational. Us fans can get in on the irrational as well.

seasontixholder
12-08-2014, 02:30 PM
Bah, superstition and all that jazz. But if I saw Pangos and Bell coming onto the court for an Elite Eight game wearing '99 blue, I couldn't imagine the lumps in fans' throats if they did.

This town would be unbearable if they rode emotions into the next weekend. And it's not all that unreasonable to believe that they will.

GonzaGAW
12-08-2014, 04:15 PM
I don't go in for the blame game, as I've said elsewhere
but I'm all for burning the black uni's, what is our winning percentage with them? not good is all I can say.

Angelo Roncalli
12-28-2014, 06:40 AM
I blame the black uniforms for BYU's run at the end of the first half, especially Collingsworth's buzzer-beater. :)

gonzagafan62
12-28-2014, 06:59 AM
Haha Angelo! I blame gonzagas win yesterday on me wearing the black hoodie and reversing the curse.! Go zags

Zagricultural
12-28-2014, 07:04 AM
I blame the black uniforms for BYU's run at the end of the first half, especially Collingsworth's buzzer-beater. :)

I definitely had here we go again feeling about that too :)

bartruff1
12-28-2014, 07:04 AM
I understand the seniors pick the color .... I like them....or the red .....or the blue...

GonzaGAW
12-28-2014, 08:08 AM
win or lose, i just do not like them, black is not a school color.

stevet75
12-28-2014, 08:49 AM

I have to agree. Although I have never liked black, it always seemed boring.

DarkZagRises
12-28-2014, 09:14 AM
You guys are all nuts. I LOVE the alternates. Wish they'd bring back the bulldog jersey from two years ago. The black ones are bada$$ and Zags have gotten some big wins wearing those - @ SMC in '11, VS SMC in the conference tourney in '11, VS St. John's in the tourney in '11, @ Xavier in '11. BYU last night. Those are just the ones off the top of my head.

Now maybe you can say this about the red ones from a decade ago... but not the blacks.

Although at the end of the day my favorite jersey is the home white. Don't think our main roads look as good.

gonzagabasketball
12-28-2014, 09:16 AM
You guys are all nuts. I LOVE the alternates. Wish they'd bring back the bulldog jersey from two years ago. The black ones are bada$$ and Zags have gotten some big wins wearing those - @ SMC in '11, VS SMC in the conference tourney in '11, VS St. John's in the tourney in '11, @ Xavier in '11. BYU last night. Those are just the ones off the top of my head.

Now maybe you can say this about the red ones from a decade ago... but not the blacks.

Although at the end of the day my favorite jersey is the home white. Don't think our main roads look as good.

I tend to agree that the whites look the best. In my opinion, they are the only ones that look good out of the current options. Though the blues aren't horrible, there is something off about them, can't put my finger on it.

Win, lose, or draw, the reds look awful.

My main issue with uniforms is using colors that aren't a part of your school besides white, and changing them all the time. Indiana looks good, classy, clean. UCLA too. I suppose no school has truly resisted the current trend of a new look for every day of the week, and I suppose if that's what the player want then that's how it'll be.

In the end, if you win, who cares how you're dressed.

BobZag
12-28-2014, 09:43 AM
Black unis = Darth Vader = Vader lost in the long run. Ruh-roh.

Reborn
12-28-2014, 09:46 AM
Haha Angelo! I blame gonzagas win yesterday on me wearing the black hoodie and reversing the curse.! Go zags

Yeah. I was wearing my old gray one the first half; and I changed at halftime to the black hoodie that I got for Christmas. I love black.

Go Zags!!!

RenoZag
12-28-2014, 10:09 AM
I blame the black uniforms for BYU's run at the end of the first half, especially Collinsworth's buzzer-beater. :)

Rousing the rabble on a Sunday morning, eh Angelo ?

Angelo Roncalli
12-28-2014, 11:10 AM
Rousing the rabble on a Sunday morning, eh Angelo ?

Of course. Had GU lost the game, there would have been at least one post that black uniforms were to blame. :)

TheZagPhish
12-28-2014, 11:20 AM
My problem with the black jerseys is that they are too slimming, making our players look way skinnier than they are. That's just not right.

OTOH, if Johnny Cash were a Zag, he'd be wearing the black uniforms all the damn time. Just sayin'.

Zag 77
12-28-2014, 01:11 PM
The whole black uniform thing is something that originates with the Oakland Raiders, Al Davis et al. All of which I hate. The whole "intimidation" concept is stupid as hell. Oakland hasn't intimidated anybody in a decade. Al Davis played to the thugs. We don't need that.

:vomit-smiley-007:

GU69
12-28-2014, 01:15 PM

The uniforms should represent the school.

gonzagafan62
12-28-2014, 01:27 PM
The whole black uniform thing is something that originates with the Oakland Raiders, Al Davis et al. All of which I hate. The whole "intimidation" concept is stupid as hell. Oakland hasn't intimidated anybody in a decade. Al Davis played to the thugs. We don't need that.

:vomit-smiley-007:
I'm soooo glad somehow the raiders get thrown in here somehow

Rangerzag
12-28-2014, 01:40 PM
Since the royal blues are no longer on the table it leaves the color question wide open.

I like the blacks.

I really don't like the reds.

The way this team is playing i don't give a rip what color they pick. As long as they are happy they can wear any color they choose!

RenoZag
12-28-2014, 02:02 PM

Written like a Jack Patera fan

roxdoc
12-28-2014, 04:44 PM
I really don't care for the blacks and can't stand the reds. Lets save the reds until we see U of Oregon with in blue unies!

GoZags
12-29-2014, 06:21 AM

And "Zags" is not a school nickname.

"Zags" is an "alternate" nickname, and I do not believe the word should be stricken from Gonzaga lexicon.

Nor do I believe the "alternate" black uniforms displaying the "alternate" nickname "Zags" should be eliminated. Neither one is "official" but they're both fine by me.

TheGonzagaFactor
12-29-2014, 10:04 AM
My rank of our jerseys:

1. Black. I love the "ZAGS" across the front and the uni looks sharp overall. I also love them because a few months before they came out I said "we should make a black alternate that says ZAGS on the front"... and they did it! My idea.

2. Blue. Also a great look. Road games should be split fairly evenly between the blacks and the blues.

3. White. They look good but are my 3rd favorite. I think this is because it's our home jersey and we play so many garbage teams at home. Not the most exciting games.

4. Dark navy. The one with the Bulldog logo on the front from 2 years ago that we wore at Butler and at BYU. They were a one-year deal. Looked good overall, but the "BULLDOGS" across the back was lame. This is college, not middle school. If they had player names across the back I wouldn't have minded. Look of that uniform top reminded me of a practice jersey. Shorts were awesome, though. Had to buy a pair.

5. Red. They were ugly. That is all.

I think we will be coming up with a light grey home alternate uni in the near future. I hope they have a set of the 1999 royal blues made for this team--set aside for an Elite 8 game.:drool:

gozagswoohoo
12-29-2014, 10:10 AM
How awesome would it be if they did a special 'throwback' uniform, in the style of THESE---

http://i.imgur.com/TD5AWaR.jpg

They could update the material, length of shorts, etc, however they wanted, but it would be a modern take on these old uni's.

Zag 77
12-29-2014, 10:29 PM
2 games in a row for the black uniforms. I think we have only seen the blue uniforms once.

UGH !

gonzagafan62
12-30-2014, 08:02 AM
2 games in a row for the black uniforms. I think we have only seen the blue uniforms once.

UGH !

We are on a 2 game win streak in the blacks. Leave it alone, sonny, and let the good times roll!

Ekrub
12-30-2014, 08:15 AM
How awesome would it be if they did a special 'throwback' uniform, in the style of THESE---

They could update the material, length of shorts, etc, however they wanted, but it would be a modern take on these old uni's.

Yes. This would be terrific. I'd go buy one of these "remade throwbacks" in a second. Also wish they had the real old jerseys to buy. I'd get myself a santangelo.

basketballzag
12-30-2014, 08:28 AM
I have to agree. Although I have never liked black, it always seemed boring.

Be careful what you wish for because Nike could go all Oregon on us with the uniform color selection. I might not love the black but I sure as hell don't want a Neon Red, with Black tiger stripes, and white/blue trim uniforms on the court which Nike could easily do.

stevet75
12-30-2014, 10:11 AM
Be careful what you wish for because Nike could go all Oregon on us with the uniform color selection. I might not love the black but I sure as hell don't want a Neon Red, with Black tiger stripes, and white/blue trim uniforms on the court which Nike could easily do.

Okay, I take it back. Black looks pretty darn good compared to Oregon's uniforms.

229SintoZag
12-30-2014, 01:26 PM
The black uniforms should not exist and should never be worn again. Ever.

They only exist as a marketing gimmick. Mostly to line Nike's pockets I am sure.

I am a graduate of not only Gonzaga, but the University of Washington. I went to law school there, and I have been a UW football fan since I was a kid. (Hoops is a different story).

I feel the same way about the black jerseys as I feel when I tune into a UW game and see them running around the gridiron like a bunch of clowns in white helmets and white pants.

Or black helmets and black pants. They are equally atrocious, and equally disrespectful of the traditions and the esteem of the purple and gold.

It is a joke. They are the University of Washington--they have an iconic helmet (Purple W on gold) with a ton of tradition. Same with the purple jersys and gold pants. They only wore those uniforms once or twice all year this season--the rest of the games they were in their clown suits out there. Object to the "Oregon-ification" of Washington football. And Gonzaga basketball. Criminy--I even saw the Nebraska Cornhuskers--"big red"--decked out in black uniforms this year in football. For shame.

At least Penn State, Michigan, Notre Dame, Alabama, USC, and Ohio State seem to be sticking with tradition. I could have missed a game where they didn't but I think they have all avoided this trend for the most part.

Can you imagine if the Michigan Wolverines wore black helmets? Or if Penn State, god forbid, wore black anything on their uniforms?

We should wear home whites, road blues. Occasionally a road red, which is a part of our color scheme. That's it.

Wear your school colors, be proud to do it, and when Nike calls wanting to put you in black for more money, don't "just do it."

Mantua
12-30-2014, 01:37 PM

I miss those uniformsm so clean and classic.

The redesign you describe would be terrific.

ZagLawGrad
12-30-2014, 03:34 PM
C'mon Angelo, those black unis cost us at least a 20-point win last night.

I incorporate here all that Sinto said. Fly your school colors.

Angelo Roncalli
12-30-2014, 03:43 PM
C'mon Angelo, those black unis cost us at least a 20-point win last night.

I incorporate here all that Sinto said. Fly your school colors.

My quibble is not with those who don't like black as a matter of preference. Everyone's entitled to their opinion. I'm poking fun at those who believe that the color of the uniform is some how causative of what happens on the floor.

But, if we're committed to honoring tradition, then the boys should roll onto the floor sometime in uniforms that say "Fighting Irish."

I can remember when the Zags' home uni's were "Columbia Blue" (the same shade of blue as North Carolina).

Zagceo
12-30-2014, 03:46 PM
My quibble is not with those who don't like black as a matter of preference. Everyone's entitled to their opinion. I'm poking fun at those who believe that the color of the uniform is some how causative of what happens on the floor.

But, if we're committed to honoring tradition, then the boys should roll onto the floor sometime in uniforms that say "Fighting Irish."

OK I'm guessing but did the school I attended at some point go by the name of Gonzaga Fighting Irish?

Angelo Roncalli
12-30-2014, 03:47 PM
OK I'm guessing but did the school I attended at some point go by the name of Gonzaga Fighting Irish?

Yes.

http://www.gozags.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205182922

And for those that deplore the red uniforms, red is a "school color."

http://www.ncaa.com/schools/gonzaga

TheZagPhish
12-30-2014, 03:47 PM

Yep.

Zagceo
12-30-2014, 03:57 PM
Somebody must have been having fun poking the Irish by changing it to English Bulldog. ;)

Colbyspapa
03-29-2015, 03:28 PM
As a former baseball player and by nature rediculously superstitious... Can we please burn the black uniforms. I don't care how good they look, the Zags appear to lose every freaking big game where they wear them! Go back to the Blues, Whites and Reds.

Great Season Zags. Love this team.

BTB
03-29-2015, 03:29 PM
I love the blacks

ConnZag3
03-29-2015, 03:32 PM
As a former baseball player and by nature rediculously superstitious... Can we please burn the black uniforms. I don't care how good they look, the Zags appear to lose every freaking big game where they wear them! Go back to the Blues, Whites and Reds.

Great Season Zags. Love this team.

I couldn't agree more. My first thought when the game came on today was "Oh F***, the black unis"...

Colbyspapa
03-29-2015, 03:32 PM
They look cool. We lose in them. So I'd rather look bad and win than look cool and lose!

FuManShoes
03-29-2015, 03:33 PM
Who picks 'em? Why do they pick 'em? Have the Zags ever won in them?

Birddog
03-29-2015, 03:34 PM
The black unis are OK, it's the red ones that suck.

gonzagafan62
03-29-2015, 03:37 PM
The black unis are OK, it's the red ones that suck.

This. We've won in black before people. It's not the black it's the red

WBM
If I'm recalling correctly, the seniors pick which uniforms (within the regular rules regarding home and away, etc).

spike_jr
I am really not a fan of the black unis either. I was really hoping they were going to come out in Royal Blue akin to the ones worn in the last elite 8 appearance.

DixieZag
03-29-2015, 03:38 PM
Red ones and black ones suck.

IF we had a decent record in them, fine.

But, we don't.

We need to proudly wear the blue.

seacatfan
03-29-2015, 03:47 PM
I couldn't agree more. My first thought when the game came on today was "Oh F***, the black unis"...

Ditto.

scrooner
03-29-2015, 03:47 PM
Ditto.

Yep.

DixieZag
03-29-2015, 03:58 PM
BTW; I thought the women's dark grey looked sharp.

However, after yesterday, I suspect those might be burned as well. :)

No, I don't think uni-color has anything to do with how we play.

It's just connotations at this point.

Zag 77
03-29-2015, 04:07 PM
I am not superstitious about the black uniforms, but I am just sayin......:vomit-smiley-007:

Gonzdb8
03-29-2015, 04:12 PM
BTW; I thought the women's dark grey looked sharp.

However, after yesterday, I suspect those might be burned as well. :)

No, I don't think uni-color has anything to do with how we play.

It's just connotations at this point.

there are studies that would disagree with you. players who wear black tend to foul more and get called for more fouls. color has more influence than you might think. that said, heckuva season zags, regardless of what uniforms we wore!

CdAZagFan
03-29-2015, 04:18 PM
I thought it odd that the men's and women's team don't have the same jerseys... Would think they would stick the same color choices for branding.

Rbo
03-29-2015, 04:28 PM
Dark blue is almost black and is a team color. I agree -- burn the black jerseys!!

KStyles
03-29-2015, 04:37 PM
I thought it odd that the men's and women's team don't have the same jerseys... Would think they would stick the same color choices for branding.

Jersey sales are probably a bit higher when each team has a different look.

MJ777
03-29-2015, 04:42 PM
there are studies that would disagree with you. players who wear black tend to foul more and get called for more fouls. color has more influence than you might think. that said, heckuva season zags, regardless of what uniforms we wore!

It is learned from childhood that the bad guys wear black and the good guys were lighter colors. Guys wearing black get called for more fouls. They apparently hit fewer 3 pt shots and have more turnovers too, but that just might be a coincidence.

Birddog
03-29-2015, 04:46 PM

If you can reference that info, I'd suggest you post it here right after you inform Few and the AD.

RenoZag
03-29-2015, 05:07 PM
Black alternate unis are not my favorite. I don't get a vote. If the Zags like 'em, so be it.

Go get 'em next year, Zags.

Gonzdb8
03-29-2015, 05:21 PM
Well, i'm not sure if Few and co. have any interest in my opinion on the subject, but i'll post a primary citation here:

Frank, M., & Gilovich, T. (1988). Black Uniforms and Aggression in Professional Sports. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, (54), 74-85.

While this article is specific to professional sports I had a student a few years ago who replicated this study for his Senior Capstone project to find out if the results would be similar when applied to college basketball. While his article wasn't something that was either peer reviewed or published its worth noting that his conclusions were consistent with what these authors of the cited article discovered.

Zagceo
03-29-2015, 05:24 PM
Just came back from great hike and see you've been busy with 8,000+ Views and 180+ responses to black uniforms…….really funny because I was thinking the same thing…..those steals and turnovers…..all because we blended in with those big black curtains!!!!!!!!! Humor This to shall pass

zagcheer78
03-29-2015, 05:37 PM
Burn the Black Uniforms

Agree with you one thousand percent. When I saw them comming on to the court with them on I thought "oh no, not a good idea there" and I'm honestly not superstitious. Besides, we are Gonzaga, not the nick name.

GonzaGAW
03-29-2015, 05:40 PM
Just came back from great hike and see you've been busy with 8,000+ Views and 180+ responses to black uniforms…….really funny because I was thinking the same thing…..those steals and turnovers…..all because we blended in with those big black curtains!!!!!!!!! Humor This to shall pass

yeah, I just signed in to say thanks to the team (51 comments) and a final thanks to our seniors (17 comments) and was discouraged that 3 times that many what to share their opinion of uniform colors.

don't get me wrong, this is an opinion page, share them. but could you all then take a big breath and maybe send some well wishes to the team and the seniors.

RenoZag
03-29-2015, 06:00 PM
yeah, I just signed in to say thanks to the team (51 comments) and a final thanks to our seniors (17 comments) and was discouraged that 3 times that many what to share their opinion of uniform colors.

don't get me wrong, this is an opinion page, share them. but could you all then take a big breath and maybe send some well wishes to the team and the seniors.

This is a merged thread, begun in 2009, with roughly 25 posts that were made today. Your math is off. Fans have been venting on this topic on this board for years. . .

Zagceo
03-29-2015, 06:05 PM
This is a merged thread with roughly 25 posts that were made today. Your math is off

Mods might want to change the title of the thread if it doesn't represent the contents correctly.

RenoZag
03-29-2015, 06:12 PM
Mods might want to change the title of the thread if it doesn't represent the contents correctly.

The thread is about black uniforms and posters' opinions of them. The thread title " Black Uniforms " represents the contents correctly.

Zagceo
03-29-2015, 06:42 PM
The thread is about black uniforms and poster's opinions of them. The thread title " Black Uniforms " represents the contents correctly.

sorry just realized the thread was started in 2009. I get it people are angry at the uniforms…………better than yelling at the dog.

rennis
03-30-2015, 08:00 AM
It's still funny to me that people think the color of the uni's have anything to do with how well the players perform. I mean, sure, if it wasn't UP to the players and they were forced to wear them, that would be one thing. But that's not the case.

fan superstitions, nothing more. Unless you can prove to me that Coach K finds a higher IQ and puts together a better defensive game plan against teams in black uniforms...

mgadfly
03-30-2015, 08:15 AM
Well, i'm not sure if Few and co. have any interest in my opinion on the subject, but i'll post a primary citation here:

Frank, M., & Gilovich, T. (1988). Black Uniforms and Aggression in Professional Sports. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, (54), 74-85.

While this article is specific to professional sports I had a student a few years ago who replicated this study for his Senior Capstone project to find out if the results would be similar when applied to college basketball. While his article wasn't something that was either peer reviewed or published its worth noting that his conclusions were consistent with what these authors of the cited article discovered.

I didn't read the article you cited. Do you know if it took into account the fact that in some sports the team in black is the team on the road (there are plenty of studies showing road teams get less calls)? Did it compare black to other options as the road team (such as dark grey, greens, reds, and blue)?

I think it's an interesting topic but I've always thought that giving the players any psychological advantage (letting them wear the jerseys they feel best in) outweighed any of the negatives. Plus, jersey colors impacts sales (resources for the program) and recruiting (I know people doubt this - but I don't, so we can disagree on this point).

Cavebear33
03-30-2015, 10:41 AM
What I dislike more than GU's black uniforms are all these uniforms throughout college basketball where you can't even read the player's number on your TV set. The Florida Gator road unis come to mind. Even the announcers who were working the Florida/Kansas game said that it was hard to identify the individual Gator players even from courtside.

I'm with you on that. The Gonzaga women have a gray uniform this year with red numerals. I guess the gals like them, but they're a scorekeeper's nightmare. As you said, on TV you often can't even see the numbers.

GrizZAG
03-30-2015, 11:06 AM
I thought the black unis made us look like we were on a low budget or something. Too plain and no pop to them in any way for me. Personally I like the blue with white side panels and the red highlights. Those colors have Gonzaga written all over them. Kids are watching who might come here. They want us to look like a higher level with some sophistication. Yeah I know, black is the rage, but they looked awfully pedestrian to me. Class D high school look.

stevet75
03-30-2015, 02:46 PM
Everytime I see someone in black, the first thing I think is, they are trying to hide their excess weight. I guess, because of that, I am not a big fan of black.

Zagger
03-30-2015, 05:05 PM
Where's the vote? I dig the Black unis - my fav Zag shirt is a black one. It's not like they're wearing them in the Sun. Red, blue, white, black - Zags can wear whatever they please & I'll still dig the team. Go Zags!
Edited to add - that's Kelly in Black kicking Wazzu butt in my avatar!