PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs San Diego: predictions and other thoughts

Reborn
12-28-2014, 06:27 AM
Wow! The Zags have a game tomorrow night against San Diego, on the road. It's probably just about as tough of a place to win as is it in Provo. This is usually a pretty scary game for the Zags. As long as San Diego has Johnny Dee they will be tough. However, because this is perhaps the best Gonzaga team of them all the Zags will prevail. They will somehow find a way to pull out another tough road victory. The tough road games have certainly piled up. The Zags have had a lot of them this year, and with each one that they win the team gets tougher on the road. I believe that.

Gonzaga 75
San Diego 63

Go Zags!!!
One game at a time!

stevet75
12-28-2014, 08:51 AM
I think San Diego will try to slow the game down. Zags still win by 16, 71 - 55.

Bushman
12-28-2014, 10:00 AM
The squad will play hard again, many will contribute and we will win. I hope Sabonis has a better game and have a more even keel attitude out there. If you watched Kevin's post game he said something to the effect...."In the first half it wasn't my turn, others were playing well, in the second half it was my half and I took what I could......" If Sabonis could be like this, a bit more patient and careful about fouling, he'd be more involved and effective.

Zags. 77
SD. 63

What fun!

jwalk
12-28-2014, 10:07 AM
Watched Portland beat SD last night on theW.tv. If SD plays like they did last night, the Zags will win by 40. A lot of missed shot on both sides and poor D overall. Mrs. jwalk commented that it's sad that there was only1,400 people at the game.

DixieZag
12-28-2014, 10:34 AM
So many times we brought a much better team only to find ourselves in big trouble down there. Billy knows how to play us. Their guards can catch fire.

But, this team is just too talented, the gap between the teams to great to let this one slip.

Zags: 75
Not Zags: 62

Close at halftime.

RenoZag
12-28-2014, 10:54 AM
Nice feature article on USD G Johnny Dee

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/dec/27/usd-basketball-dee-toreros-guard/

Johnny Dee, known for his devout Christian faith, is a liar. He is listed at 6 feet tall.

“I’m 5-11,” he confesses.

His grandfather, Don, was 6-8 and played on the U.S. basketball team that won a gold medal at the 1968 Olympics. Don cashed checks for two-plus seasons with the ABA’s Indiana Pacers.

Dee’s father, Donnie, is 6-5. An 11th-round draft pick of the Indianapolis Colts in 1988, Donnie played 2½ seasons in the NFL. Dee’s mother, Jackie, ran cross country at the University of Tulsa.

Dee draws from a reservoir of athletic genes, but in the vertical department, Dee is basketball challenged. His sister Jenny, a redshirt freshman basketball player at UC Irvine, stands almost eye-to-eye with him.

Last February's trip to USD was covered by the GU SID HERE (http://www.gozags.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=627537&SPID=90846&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=26400&ATCLID=209415086). Pangos was not healthy & Karnowski fouled out with 4 minutes left in the game. Zags have more arrows in the quiver this season.

USD's STATS: HERE. (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/stats/_/id/301/san-diego-toreros)

I think the Zags take care of business in another grind-it-out kind of game vs. the Toreros. Zags 68, USD 60

DixieZag
12-28-2014, 01:22 PM
Anyone think that Portland has a shot tomorrow at BYU?

They'll be confident. Perhaps BYU still upset about GU, maybe motivates, maybe distracts. I always like the Portland team.

sittingon50
12-28-2014, 01:28 PM
The problem with the Sat/Mon start to the WCC for BYU is that they will not practice today. And I am not sure if the Coaches work or not.

upan8th
12-28-2014, 01:36 PM
Mark Few saved Billy G's bacon last year, losing at the Phat Pharm. Not happening again. Coach Few will have to negotiate his lack of charity when he gets to the Pearly Gates. Gonna drive one of the nails into BG's coffin tomorrow. Zags 88 to 62.

Mantua
12-28-2014, 01:44 PM
The problem with the Sat/Mon start to the WCC for BYU is that they will not practice today. And I am not sure if the Coaches work or not.

I'm for anything that gives a visiting team some advantage in Provo. BYU has been given adequate accommodation by the WCC. I would like to see Portland figure out how to quell the whistles and then let the rest of the WCC in on the secret.

As for the Zag practice, perimeter and interior defense need some work. Although I'm relieved and happy about the win last night, I'm not satisfied with the play I saw in the middle of the game.

Outraged
12-28-2014, 02:08 PM
As for the Zag practice, perimeter and interior defense need some work. Although I'm relieved and happy about the win last night, I'm not satisfied with the play I saw in the middle of the game.[/QUOTE]

I agree the biggest difference this team has over past teams is its ability to play defense. They have all the tools, players, assistant coaches and scouting reports. I would like to see what happens when they use all three for 40 minutes.

I want to be awed by defense.

Other than that I think we're finding our shot and we should win by a controlled 18 to 20 points. I would say 30 points if we get 40 minutes of Arizona caliber defense. 10 turnovers or less if Cal Poly can do it we can too.

I am one of those crazy fans with high expectations though.

Martin Centre Mad Man
12-28-2014, 03:03 PM
The USD athletic department site is counting down until Johnny Dee hits the school career scoring record. He needs 27 points.

http://www.usdtoreros.com

Zagger
12-28-2014, 04:37 PM
Methinks the Zags will conduct good defense. Why? We saw Few's comments about the first half on Saturday. So, that in mind I expect San Diego's score not to fall far from 60. To play well into March they're not only going to have to win they'll have to practice the type of play they'll need later on. I sure hope this happens and that it'll be 80-60 - or even a greater spread. Go Zags!
Http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/zagstoreros.png

RenoZag
12-28-2014, 05:13 PM

They'll be confident. Perhaps BYU still upset about GU, maybe motivates, maybe distracts. I always like the Portland team.

I think BYU will win by double digits. They'll be highly motivated to square their record. I like Portland and think they will be in the top four by the end of the conference season but I think they are facing a wounded wild cat tomorrow

ZAG65
12-28-2014, 05:34 PM
It will be interesting to see how well BYU plays with no students in the building!

TravelinZag
12-28-2014, 05:51 PM
Johnny Dee can be a major threat when he's on. Last two games, however, 17 points combined. Does his slump continue? No hope for SD if it does. If he shakes it off, different matter. By himself, he's capable of giving the Zags a scare, but not a defeat. Zag win, only the margin is open to conjecture.

OZZY
12-28-2014, 06:01 PM
The SD senior guard combination always tends to give us problems as both seem to elevate their game against the Zags.

But.....

Can't see that helping much in this one. Also I think Silas many get to play a role in this one playing tough D and helping GBJ and KP out on defence.

Johnny Dee already has 298 career threes *(at a 0.410 clip), so I'm sure he will hit the 300 mark after tomorrow's game, but I'm not so sure he will get the scoring record against the Zags (I hope not)...

Offensively the GU juggernaut should roll on, with at least 5 layers in double figures, but less scoring opportunities as BG tries to slow us down....

GU 78
SD 62

*In comparison Kevin Pangos has 267 (at a 0.413 clip). KP has far more responsibility as a ball handler and played on much more balanced teams in that time.
By year's end both will most likely be in the top 5 in the WCC for career three pointer's made (no-one will touch Kevin Foster's 431 made though).

Kiddwell
12-28-2014, 09:01 PM
Winter Thanks!, a poem
<ahem>
Skater on a lake so frozen,
Cherry cheeks, and nose so rose'n
Twirls delightful, figure eights,
Stars a night full; pies and cakes.
Sweaters warm; stroll comfy, cozy,
Hear the wind, so sharp and blowzy,
Snuggle up from toes to chin,
Come inside, watch Zags win.
Come inside; for all give praise.
For life and love and happy days.

-------
Snow, Crisp Nights - 83
Year 'Round Palm Trees - 67

:]

bigblahla
12-29-2014, 04:55 AM
USD has proven to be tough enough in the Jenny Craig....not tonight....Zags bring on the whipping...solid double digit win...

Go!! Zags!!!

zag67
12-29-2014, 06:38 AM
Tough game early, but pull away. I hope Melson gets lots of time during the game.
GU - 87. SD - 60

jazzdelmar
12-29-2014, 06:46 AM
FROM TODAYS LOCAL RAG:

Bill Grier knows Gonzaga basketball. He was a Zags assistant for 16 seasons, the final eight as Mark Few’s top aide. As USD’s head coach the past eight seasons, Grier has burned hours trying to beat the Bulldogs.

So it’s not without some knowledge and perspective that Grier says of the 2014-15 Zags edition, “I think it’s their best offensive team.”

As in ever.

The Toreros will discover just how skilled 8th-ranked Gonzaga is at putting the ball through the basket tonight at 8 when USD hosts the Zags at the Jenny Craig Pavilion.

Consider some numbers for the 12-1 visitors:

• Gonzaga is scoring 83.9 points a game, 11th out of 345 NCAA Division I programs;

• The Bulldogs’ average margin of victory is 22.4 points, sixth in the nation;

• St. Joseph’s was dealt a 94-42 beat down by the Zags;

• Gonzaga shoots 53.2 percent from the field, second in the country.

• The visitors’ rebounding margin is a whopping +10.4.

“Offensively,” Grier said, “they don’t have any weaknesses.”

A comparison: one USD player scores in double figures, Johnny Dee at 18.8 points. Gonzaga features five players scoring 10 or more points, including Damontas Sabonis, son of former Portland Trail Blazer Arvydas Sarbonis, who scores 10.2 coming off the bench.

Gonzaga has advanced to the NCAA Tournament 17 of the past 21 seasons. Stunningly, the Zags have played in the West Coast Conference championship game 14 straight seasons.

As the WCC’s king and a West Coast power, Gonzaga is accustomed to absorbing every team’s best punch.

“I circle Gonzaga every year on the calendar,” said Toreros point guard Christopher Anderson. “Our team is always ready for them. We’ll play them tough.”

The highlight to USD’s season last year was a 66-63 victory over the Zags at the JCP. It ended an 11-game losing streak against Gonzaga. The Bulldogs have won 33 of the past 36 in the series.

Highlighting tonight’s meeting is that the Toreros figure to take the floor with a bitter taste in their mouths. After leading Portland 58-52 with 2:47 to play in their WCC opener Saturday, the Toreros were outscored 9-0 the rest of the game, losing 61-58 on a last-second three.

“We’re going to take our frustration out on (Gonzaga),” Anderson said.

Dee struggled against the Pilots, scoring only 11 points on 5-15 shooting. He was limited to eight points the previous game against San Diego Christian.

“Sometimes they don’t drop,” Dee said. “I forced a couple early (against Portland) and that kind of got me off to a bad start. I’ve got to let the game come to me.”

Dee is 27 points shy of setting USD’s all-time scoring record. The record is 1,790 by Brandon Johnson, more renowned for his role in a point-shaving scandal that rocked the program.

Dee is at 1,764 points. He has scored 27 or more points just once this season, 29 against Princeton. His career high is 30.

If Dee falls short of the record, he will almost certainly set history on the road. USD’s next two games are at USF and Santa Clara.

RenoZag
12-29-2014, 06:51 AM
Http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/zagstoreros.png

Great Graphic. . .sending that to my boss, the USD grad. . .

LongIslandZagFan
12-29-2014, 08:30 AM
Sadistic Bovine murderers 189
Zaggies 40

cjm720
12-29-2014, 08:46 AM
Zags 78
Toreros 62

Sorry Billy!

Reborn
12-29-2014, 09:00 AM
Good morning ZagNation. IT'S GAMEDAY. And I'm smiling. I'm happy about being able to see our team play again tonight. This is a wonderful team to watch because we have players who are really talented. And not just one or two like in most years. We have eight or nine, and you never really know who's going to "go off." The Zags, in my opinion, put on a great show, and people all over should try to get out and see this team play. Gonzaga has had some great teams in the past, and this one is certainly right up there with them, and it really could be the best ever. So enjoy the game tonight, and I'll see ya after the game here. I always look forward to reading what you all think about the games. And I love to look at the pictures a few of you post here. Oh and I appreciate the links that a couple of you provide for good reading. Have a good day. RELAX............. my new montra...the one Mark Few passed on to me....and I think someone else on the board. Was it LIZF or GoZags!!!? I think one of them posted that on one of their posts. Thanks guys. I love ZAGNATION.

Go Zags!!!
One game at a time!

gonzagafan62
12-29-2014, 09:58 AM
Hi Reborn! Back at it again. . . . I feel the same way you do about this game. They beat us last year, but this is a better Zag team this time. I don't see us losing. These kids know how hard it was to win @USD this year and I think the staff will be prepared, yet again. Can't wait for this game. I know its going to be a good one.

Final Score:

Gonzaga 71
San Diego 59

hooter73
12-29-2014, 10:12 AM

I hope not. We need their RPI to stay as high as possible.

Jonny Dee is a great guard but sufferers from the same thing Stockton and Pangos suffer from, lack of height. He is a fantastic guard but Im never worried that he will somehow beat us. One player does not make a team and USD still doesn't have a team.

Reborn
12-29-2014, 11:00 AM
i'm also for BYU.

23dpg
12-29-2014, 11:14 AM
San Diego will muck it up as much as they can.

Gonzaga 67
SD 54

gonzagafan62
12-29-2014, 11:23 AM
I hope not. We need their RPI to stay as high as possible.

Jonny Dee is a great guard but sufferers from the same thing Stockton and Pangos suffer from, lack of height. He is a fantastic guard but Im never worried that he will somehow beat us. One player does not make a team and USD still doesn't have a team.

Yup. BYU please.

EDIT: But if they win, does that make them Top 100?

Reborn
12-29-2014, 11:37 AM
Yup. BYU please.

EDIT: But if they win, does that make them Top 100?

BYU is 51 in RPI and 43 in BPI. I'd like to see them in the top 50 in both.

Go Zags!!!

A to Zags
12-29-2014, 02:43 PM
Hi Reborn! Back at it again. . . . I feel the same way you do about this game. They beat us last year, but this is a better Zag team this time. I don't see us losing. These kids know how hard it was to win @USD this year and I think the staff will be prepared, yet again. Can't wait for this game. I know its going to be a good one.

Final Score:

Gonzaga 71
San Diego 59

Zags win but PLEASE do not foul the 3 point shooter. Do we possibly lead the nation in this category? It is so frustrating to watch us do that so often. Can't say we aren't aggressive though.
Any word if anyone else might have the flu now that it has found one victim? That could change the outcome also.

zag67
12-29-2014, 03:23 PM
I agree about fouling the 3 point shooter. We gave BYU 6 points on fouling 3 point shooters. And then the super 3 pointer that they made at the first half buzzer. That is 9 points that they should not have had. So we should have beat them by 16 points. This also means correct a couple of flaws and they do not have the type of run they did.

zagfan94
12-29-2014, 03:38 PM
BYU is 51 in RPI and 43 in BPI. I'd like to see them in the top 50 in both.

Go Zags!!!

Assuming that we win all league games, will the results of other conference games have an effect our RPI or BPI?

hooter73
12-29-2014, 03:59 PM
The way the wcc tourny is set up with no bys, even if we blow a team out by 50 in the first game, our rpi goes down.

abarefootboy
12-29-2014, 04:32 PM
Winter Thanks!, a poem
<ahem>
Skater on a lake so frozen,
Cherry cheeks, and nose so rose'n
Twirls delightful, figure eights,
Stars a night full; pies and cakes.
Sweaters warm; stroll comfy, cozy,
Hear the wind, so sharp and blowzy,
Snuggle up from toes to chin,
Come inside, watch Zags win.
Come inside; for all give praise.
For life and love and happy days.

-------
Snow, Crisp Nights - 83
Year 'Round Palm Trees - 67

:]

your poem Kiddwell is too cool .. brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr... well .. i mean ... like it's a near masterpiece ... keep em comin' .. Go Zags !

UberZagFan
12-29-2014, 06:26 PM
It will be interesting to see how well BYU plays with no students in the building!

What is meant by this? Were students there against GU? They still had 20K strong at that game. Pretty sure there will be enough fans against UP that would fill any other arena in the WCC. Students or not, their fans are well, fanatical.

Johnny Dee already has 298 career threes *(at a 0.410 clip), so I'm sure he will hit the 300 mark after tomorrow's game, but I'm not so sure he will get the scoring record against the Zags (I hope not)...

*In comparison Kevin Pangos has 267 (at a 0.413 clip). KP has far more responsibility as a ball handler and played on much more balanced teams in that time.
By year's end both will most likely be in the top 5 in the WCC for career three pointer's made (no-one will touch Kevin Foster's 431 made though).

They are not only #1 and #2 active career 3pt leaders in the WCC but the nation as well!

Reborn
12-29-2014, 09:20 PM
Close again. I predicted a 12 point victory. I felt the Zags and San Diego would both score more. I was wrong about that. Gonzaga's defense was really good. Thank God. They seemed to have no flow or energy on offense, and there was way too much one on one, or one pass and then shoot. Gonzaga does not play good when they do not run their offense.

Go Zags!!!
One game at a time!