• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zagger
    Banned
    • Mar 2008

Gonzaga vs Cal Poly...post game thoughts

Sorry in advance if I missed a post game rehash thread - didn't notice one.
    I'm going to stay in positive territory on my thoughts. In looking at the box score the first positive is the win :-). Next stat of note is 80% FT shooting by the team and 4 of 7 by Mt. K - not shabby at all for this type of game. Zags had 10 assists to the Mustangs' 4. Both teams had 16 TOs. That doesn't speak well for the Zags in turnovers but it does speak well for Zag defense and in being effective in assists even with high TOs. DREB also speak highly of the Zags @ 23-15. The team didn't give Cal Poly much room for 2nd chance points. It was a tough game for a few Zags but 63-50 is a solid win and only one Mustang was in double figures. Go Zags!
  • Reborn
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2007

Gonzaga vs Cal Poly...post game thoughts

The Zags did not have one of their best performances, but played good enough to win. I thought that over all they played hard, but they were not shooting well, and a few players seemed to lack energy and focus on offense. Once again Karnowski played very well. He got 16 points, but once again he was much taller then his opponents. But they did double and tripple team him, and he was still scoring.

Gonzaga was really turning the ball over in the first half. I think it was a sign of the effect that Finals has on players. I have seldom seen Gonzaga play well on Saturday after Finals Week. Wiltjer and Wesley played their worst game of the year, and Dranginis played well on offense, but was turning the ball over. He also has looked better on defense. Pangos played one of his better games, imo, and I enjoyed watching him. He was finally shooting well, and he got hot in just the right game. His shooting kept Cal Poly at arms length the second half and they really never threatened,imo. They only had five turnovers the second half; so that was much, much better. I felt sorry for Gary because he never shoots well in Key Arena. I know he would like to, but it just doesn't happen. Yet, he really played his tough game on defense, and I love watching him play D. He is one tough Zag. Pangos also seemed tougher then he has in awhile. we needed those two last night, because overall I think the toughness was not there.

Cal Poly had a real good player. His name is David Nuwabi. He was very athletic and went to the basket really well and could jump out of the gym. Fortunately for the Zags, he got in some foul trouble and had to sit in the first half for about 8 minutes. He was having a good game. He ended with 21 and was fun to watch. Also Cal Poly gave it 100% effort and played really hard, thus making it hard for Gonzaga to get much of a lead. Cal Poly kept the lead under ten points for most of the game. Good job Cal Poly. They were a very good opponent.

Chalk up another average win and move on. It's time to get ready for BYU and conference play. Next weekend is going to be tough.

Go Zags!!!
    One game at a time.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• hooter73
      Zag for Life
      • Jun 2008

A game to learn from. That and still winning is not the worst thing in the world... as long as they do learn and dont let the same things keep on repeating.

Comment

• DZ
        Zag for Life
        • Sep 2007

Win. Good.

Turnovers, very bad. As I said in another thread, I worry teams will rough us up more than usual in conference. I don't worry that roughing us up more than usual will beat us, so much as I worry it will beat on the players and may result in a bad injury along the way. I thought that was one of the most physically out of control games I have seen. I cringed throughout. The emotions ran hot throughout it, too. You could see guys jawing some.

All of that is fine in a win after finals. I like that Kevin shot well b/c we may need him to shoot well in that building. I thought Gary pressed it some, like in other BIS. He'll be fine.

Beat BYU. Having a game where we looked all too human against a very physical team that is out trying to turn us over constantly is not the worst thing. BYU plays with very active hands, always trying to strip the ball, so a game learning to value possessions isn't a bad thing.
        Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
        Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
        X