PDA

View Full Version : Which would you prefer?

willandi
12-21-2014, 08:00 AM
Which would you, as a Zag fan, prefer? The Zags to play almost flawless basketball, crisp passing, taking only high percentage shots, hitting the boards? Every basket comes via assist...but the Zags lose,
OR...a game played with feet set in concrete, telegraphing passes, lots of one-on-one olay, poor shooting, careless fouls, bad FT shooting...and the Zags WIN!

Seems like a lot of people on the board get upset when the latter happens, but would you really prefer the first scenario? I know that if the Zags play the first scenario it is most likely that they win, but for the sake of discussion...which would YOU prefer, and why?

WBM
12-21-2014, 08:39 AM
Ultimately I want the outcome to be a win, of course. In a single game situation, playing through a bad night and getting the W is admirable. If they played that way every night and win every night, it would get very tough to watch, I think.

Single game answer: gut it out for the win.

hooter73
12-21-2014, 09:30 AM
yes.

sittingon50
12-21-2014, 12:43 PM
During my HS baseball coaching career I had 2 different kids tell me they would rather make a 400' out than hit one on the handle & wind up at 1st base. They just didn't get it.

Will, I'll take option B, but I won't like it. :explode:

jim77
12-21-2014, 12:56 PM
Depending on how good the opposing D is....winning ugly may be you're only option...like last night.

gueastcoast
12-21-2014, 01:38 PM
I think you're asking the wrong question, or not qualifying it in a way where it can be exposed as not really getting at what is of concern to so many Zag fans.

If you pose your question relating to the WCC Championship Game or a late round NCAA game, the answer is (of course) we all want the W, no matter how ugly.

If you pose the question as it relates to Cal-Poly or a similar game -- where the Zags are playing in friendly confines against a team they are favored to beat by 22 points -- well, folks still want the win, but hopefully this highlights a little better all of the sturm and drang on the GUB over what in the box score looks like a game the Zags won handily.

TravelinZag
12-21-2014, 02:12 PM
Take the W's. Every team is going to have 4 or 5 sub-par games per season; if they're lucky, they'll find a way to win most of them. Glad we got a couple out of the way.

zag67
12-21-2014, 07:14 PM
Also, for the most part the game was never in doubt. Our offense was, but they only got to 4 points once in the second half. Most of the time it was between 8 and 11 point lead. I have so say that our passing at the top of the key was not good. We were weak with many cross court passes. We allowed them to triple team and take the ball away. We dribbled into the middle and expected miracles. But in order for them to keep it close they had to have long arms and be quick on their feet and with their hands. I am not sure there are any WCC teams that can play that type of defense.

WBM
12-21-2014, 09:10 PM
Also, for the most part the game was never in doubt. Our offense was, but they only got to 4 points once in the second half. Most of the time it was between 8 and 11 point lead. I have so say that our passing at the top of the key was not good. We were weak with many cross court passes. We allowed them to triple team and take the ball away. We dribbled into the middle and expected miracles. But in order for them to keep it close they had to have long arms and be quick on their feet and with their hands. I am not sure there are any WCC teams that can play that type of defense.

I don't know that we'll see a defense that intense in the WCC, but I won't be surprised to see a few teams try it.

The back and forth passing at the top of the key really didn't do us any favors. We also tried to lob pass into the paint a few times and we got more turnovers that way than were worth the trouble.

zag67
12-21-2014, 09:18 PM
Oh WBM. I agree that they will. This game will help us in the preparation for attacking it better. I also think that they are longer and quicker at more positions and therefore able to put more pressure on the ball handlers up top. Hopefully we will learn to move it quicker to not allow that to occur as often. But time will tell if we learned.

gonzagafan62
12-21-2014, 09:51 PM
I don't care what it takes. I am not happy with anything but a win

SteelZag
12-21-2014, 10:06 PM
I too was alarmed at some of the passing, especially around the top of the key. I was beginning to think the NCAA had outlawed bounce passes. The passing I saw last night would translate into a similar defeat GU experienced against UA in 2014 tourney. I wouldn't have much confidence against any Sweet 16 team come March the way the Zags played last night. I'll give props to CP and hope the problem will be resolved.

On the bright side, I feel like the Zags are running on 6 cylinders right now with the loss of Perkins. Once EM is eligible, Perkins is back and Melson is up to speed, I will sleep much better.