PDA

View Full Version : Tackle a Zag Game Plan

DixieZag
12-21-2014, 01:47 AM
I can't sleep, so a question;

I like Cal-Poly b/c of their intensity. But, they were undermanned and knew it. Part of their game plan seemed to be to "rough up" the Zags or play "physical" right up to the line of goon basketball, if not over it. And they were within a couple of possessions at the end of the game.

We are so talented offensively, we are going into conference, and in conference we will see; Teams with intensity, that are undermanned, trying to stay within a couple possessions at the end of the game...are we going to see game plans in which "rough it up" or "physical up to and past the line of goon basketball"?

Because I saw a game where I cringed at the increasing bitter physicality, play got angry even though the announcers never brought attention to it - when I see Kevin lashing out at other players.....

If we face a conference season of similar games, we'll get players hurt needlessly. Karno - ankle, that'll happen no matter what, throw that out, Bell - cramps, that'll happen, throw that out. This isn't about those. But, we could see more "Perkins-like" injuries. Undoubtedly 99% won't be as severe, but it is scary.

bigblahla
12-21-2014, 03:35 AM
Obviously mucking up the game was the plan....the high zone "D" triple teaming the ball handler worked well and looks to be a sure fire way to slow down the Zags if you have the defensive intensity and more importantly the refs let you get away with mugging.....horribly called game....looked just like a WCC road game so I'm not upset at all with the outcome....although some now doubt the Zags ability to run the table in the WCC I am convinced after watching the mauling....Zags are built for the long haul....adding McClellan will help as will having getting Perkins back....

We all know how brutal WCC road games can be....whistles disappear then magically reappear....rarely is any game called the same way in both halves so the key is putting the ball in the basket and there is no TEAM in the WCC including BYU built like the Zags to do it from every position on the floor....time to buckle up and get ready for a thrill ride because part two of the season starts Sat. in Provo....Zags win by double digits....

Go!! Zags!!!

DixieZag
12-21-2014, 06:33 AM
Obviously mucking up the game was the plan....the high zone "D" triple teaming the ball handler worked well and looks to be a sure fire way to slow down the Zags if you have the defensive intensity and more importantly the refs let you get away with mugging.....horribly called game....looked just like a WCC road game so I'm not upset at all with the outcome....although some now doubt the Zags ability to run the table in the WCC I am convinced after watching the mauling....Zags are built for the long haul....adding McClellan will help as will having getting Perkins back....

We all know how brutal WCC road games can be....whistles disappear then magically reappear....rarely is any game called the same way in both halves so the key is putting the ball in the basket and there is no TEAM in the WCC including BYU built like the Zags to do it from every position on the floor....time to buckle up and get ready for a thrill ride because part two of the season starts Sat. in Provo....Zags win by double digits....

Go!! Zags!!!

Yes, I hear that. I suppose the question going forward is whether it will be much worse this year than years past b/c of the separation.

I hope not. Because there were times last night when I winced and felt the violence going on. I worried about an injury the entire game. And, I don't remember a previous game where I felt that way.

RenoZag
12-21-2014, 06:48 AM
I think we'll see undersized and allegedly overmatched WCC teams play the Zags exactly the way we saw Cal Poly play. Blahla's comment re: it looked like a WCC road game last night is dead on.

I don't think it will be much worse than years past b/c I don't think the separation is as great as some do. Are the Zags as far ahead of the top WCC teams as some would like to think ? In the WCC regular season we'll have 18 chances to answer that question.

raise the zag
12-21-2014, 07:02 AM
Out of our control.

Just do what needs to be done to win each game -- they did that last night. Cal Poly would be middle of the pack in WCC.

It will be up to Coach Few to step up his intensity....with the refs!

Don't allow games to get out of hand, especially when you see an undermanned team "roughing" it up just to stay in game. Even BYU has been guilty of this in year's past.

I love how Coach Few stays under control and understands you can't 'change' a call, yet I'd like to see him protect his players a bit more when officials are clearly missing the mark.

While Coach maintains composure and integrity with refs, its also the Coach's job to point things out if officials (humans too) are not doing their job either.

sittingon50
12-21-2014, 11:35 AM
Personally, I thought CP got homered.

Take your meds folks, 'cause if you think this was bad you're gonna' love @ BYU on Sat.

hondo
12-21-2014, 11:51 AM
Plus I really doubt BYU will shoot 3 for 15 behind the arc. Plus the zebras will get caught up in the emotion of the arena.

jim77
12-21-2014, 11:51 AM

Take your meds folks, 'cause if you think this was bad you're gonna' love @ BYU on Sat.
Agreed 50..if anything we got the benefit. We underestimated them and expected them to fade..they did not. McClellan's speed would have helped ...it will be nice to get him onboard.

GrizZAG
12-21-2014, 02:46 PM

I thought so also. Credit CP for playing intense defense all game long. If they could shoot the 3....

Larrylegend
12-21-2014, 08:33 PM

Thanks Sitting. There's been so much cry baby whining about "the refs" this year that it has become nauseating. Only losers complain about “the refs”.

DixieZag
12-21-2014, 09:07 PM
Thanks Sitting. There's been so much cry baby whining about "the refs" this year that it has become nauseating. Only losers complain about “the refs”.

Just, point of order, in the OP, I wasn't in anyway saying "we got messed with by the refs" or in anyway involving officiating against one team or another. I was referencing the style of play and the fear of injury down the road b/c we clearly can out-talent the rest of the league this year - think BYU v. Olynick of two years ago.

I sort of agree about CP - some of those late calls, the touch fouls were very questionable, especially considering what they let go.

Regardless, I am very concerned that CP showed how to keep the Zags within reach and that is just hit us in the mouth, figuratively or literally. I defer to none in my confidence in these guys and I'm not worried about toughness, more broken jaws, teeth, having a body undercut on a drive to the rim, that type of thing.

And we have BYU @ Provo coming up. If we know one thing, it is that BYU will play right on the line of dirty (they've crossed it recently), and we know that the BYU faithful will see it as "the worst officiated game they have ever seen" if they lose.

TheGonzagaFactor
12-22-2014, 07:41 AM
Out of our control.

Just do what needs to be done to win each game -- they did that last night. Cal Poly would be middle of the pack in WCC.

It will be up to Coach Few to step up his intensity....with the refs!

Don't allow games to get out of hand, especially when you see an undermanned team "roughing" it up just to stay in game. Even BYU has been guilty of this in year's past.

I love how Coach Few stays under control and understands you can't 'change' a call, yet I'd like to see him protect his players a bit more when officials are clearly missing the mark.

While Coach maintains composure and integrity with refs, its also the Coach's job to point things out if officials (humans too) are not doing their job either.

You can't change a call, but you can sure as hell change the next several calls by reacting to one. Seen it happen countless times, where a coach goes on a tirade and the refs are intimidated into making a string of bad calls in his team's favor.

TheGonzagaFactor
12-22-2014, 07:42 AM

Yeah we won though.

gonzagafan62
12-22-2014, 07:43 AM

Na.... I think we will be okay. Glad Haws is back. We are going to beat them this time, and the refs will be fine. Most of the time they are better than what we have seen already so far this year @MSG