PDA

View Full Version : Sabonis frustration

WBM
12-20-2014, 07:43 PM
I'd like to believe that Domas's body language after a bad call or a bad play is the sign of passion and may just be the mark of a player who believes he is capable of improvement.

What if he's not thinking those exact thoughts, and is simply not enjoying his NCAA experience?

We have talked about the risk of losing Sabonis early to the draft, but is there any risk of him deciding he'd rather go back to what he knows and make money while developing?

Probably not a real problem, but it crossed my mind tonight.

ZagLawGrad
12-20-2014, 08:12 PM
Domas been listening to Dickie V too much. He's gonna have to play a lot better. And get rid of the ridiculous fouls.

former1dog
12-20-2014, 08:15 PM
The OP is over thinking.

WBM
12-20-2014, 08:17 PM
The OP is over thinking.

I sure hope so!

He just seems to be so frustrated with the way our game is played. I know money isn't exactly an issue for Sabonis, but if he wasn't enjoying himself, I could see the allure of playing professionally in Europe instead, given that he had a contract offer already.

GoZags
12-20-2014, 08:25 PM
I sure hope so!

He just seems to be so frustrated with the way our game is played. I know money isn't exactly an issue for Sabonis, but if he wasn't enjoying himself, I could see the allure of playing professionally in Europe instead, given that he had a contract offer already.

Everything I've heard is he loves being a college kid.

WBM
12-20-2014, 08:26 PM
That's good to hear. I am very excited to see him continue to develop.

GrizZAG
12-20-2014, 08:27 PM
I see a guy that is just driven to win. He wants it and has low tolerance for mistakes by himself, refs and team mates. He is a pure driven competitor. Love that kid, he has the goods. I love it when he and Karno battle for rebounds, but it creates a turnover too often like tonight.

SteelZag
12-20-2014, 08:49 PM
I see a guy that is just driven to win. He wants it and has low tolerance for mistakes by himself, refs and team mates. He is a pure driven competitor. Love that kid, he has the goods. I love it when he and Karno battle for rebounds, but it creates a turnover too often like tonight.

Agree. On all points.

MDABE80
12-20-2014, 08:53 PM
Another post hallucinated............3 days later some will STILL be talking about nothing.

zagamatic
12-20-2014, 08:53 PM
Call it a gut feeling, but I have a feeling that barring something extreme that his dad will insist that he stays and gets his degree.

Rangerzag
12-20-2014, 08:55 PM
I see a guy that is just driven to win. He wants it and has low tolerance for mistakes by himself, refs and team mates. He is a pure driven competitor. Love that kid, he has the goods.

Agreed and further,

Pretty sure Domas came to the US for a college experience, including both academic and athletic. Pretty sure his game didn't come in his current state of proficiency without a great deal of work. If DS went back for a Euro contract now without figuring out how to successfully play in NCAA games it would be giving up or quitting and he does not seem to be that type.

Hoopaholic
12-20-2014, 09:07 PM
He is transforming from euro ball to college ball a huge difference so there will be ups and downs until March

WBM
12-20-2014, 09:12 PM
Another post hallucinated............3 days later some will STILL be talking about nothing.
If this has been brought up before and discussed, please accept my apologies for rehashing it. Ive not seen that thread.
Otherwise, I hope i haven't "hallucinated" the purpose of this message board -- I thought it was a place to exchange thoughts about GU basketball.

I like Sabonis a lot. I hope he stays until he graduates or he's so successful that he earns an opportunity that is too good to pass up.

Mantua
12-20-2014, 09:17 PM
I liked what Hester said tonight about Domas and the spectacular tie up.

There was a stare down there that would have spooked a lion on the Serengeti.

WBM
12-20-2014, 09:20 PM
I liked what Hester said tonight about Domas and the spectacular tie up.

We got a good chuckle out of that, too. Heister had a few good lines tonight, actually.

GrizZAG
12-20-2014, 09:28 PM

Huh?

Mantua
12-20-2014, 09:35 PM
I thought the OP was expressing fan anxiety about losing a good player, which I find within the normal range of fan worries.

I'm worrying about the offense against the zone. I wish they'd figure out how to make cuts and drive early. The other sloppy play wasn't typical of this team. There are bad games every season. I doubt that we will see much more of that.

WBM
12-20-2014, 09:36 PM
No the message board isn't hallucinated. It's the message you posted. Seriously you have no idea what's in Domas' head. Him and his Dad have always said they wanted the education and the college experience. Then comes this idea that some possible bady language or some such......might mean he's unhappy with hsi NCAA experience.(whatever that means). Seriously./Seriously?? There is nothing...I repeat nothing to suggest he's unhappy. usually thoughts are based on some form of reality we....well at least many............share. Your thought is out of the blue and a first in its category. Nobody's questioning you right have a thought or an expression........given how remote from reality, I think it's some "just thrown out there"..which may mean it'll be chased for days in one form or another.......Myself? I hope it's chased and amplified and twisted. Even though there is no basis for that. Of course that's just MY opinion......I think I'm entitled.

You certainly are. Like you, I don't question anyone's right to voice their opinion. Your attitude is the source of my frustration.

I didn't post this to be a spark plug and rile everyone up. And you couldn't be more right stating that I have "no idea what's in Domas' head." If I did, I probably wouldn't be pondering that exact topic on a message board. I'm really glad that the folks who replied have confidence that my thought is nothing to worry about. I particularly appreciated GrizZag's response. I guess I just don't understand why you responded with such vitriol.

Ekrub
12-20-2014, 09:37 PM
Sabonis has that Morrison look in his eye. Not projecting, just saying I see the same passion.

MDABE80
12-20-2014, 09:52 PM
I deleted that post you posted above. For one reason. I didn't want to ocntinue it. Since there is NO, not ONE, indication that Domas' NCAA experience is making him.....somehow not happy, I though your initial post was an hallucination but some idea you pulled out of your a**. And I said so. Have at it though..see where it goes. Keep posting on this thought of yours. You're entitled. Have fun....all be it a completely conjured up thought with no basis in reality we usually share on this board. Have fun.

VinnyZag
12-20-2014, 09:59 PM
Anyhow ....

I find myself wondering tonight if the NCAA is called very differently than the Spanish league Sabonis is used to. Seems the obvious reason for his frustration. Any EuroHoops experts know? Are the NCAA refs ticky-tack compared to what Sabonis is used to?

WBM
12-20-2014, 10:02 PM
Well, I thought I'd read in a thread here that play is very physical in the league he played in. It has looked to me on multiple occasions that he was dumbfounded by some of the ticky-tack calls. Once WCC play starts and refs are slightly more consistent, I can imagine he'll really do well.

maynard g krebs
12-20-2014, 10:04 PM
What if he's not thinking those exact thoughts, and is simply not enjoying his NCAA experience?

A leading expert on panic and anxiety disorders says a major cause of same is what she refers to as "what if" thinking. What if the plane I'm on crashes? What if that tree next door falls on my house, etc.

You get the idea.

"As well to count the angels dancing on a pin".

AnonAzZagTemp
12-20-2014, 10:26 PM
The OP is over thinking.

Actually he is under thinking...he is looking at Sabonis purely from his own personal western perspective rather than the culturally divergent background and emotion of the players genealogy.

He comes form a different culture, it does not fade away in 20 years so his dad being/playing here (or whatever) has less of an impact emotionally than being here himself for another 20 years.

As a general rule of thumb foreign based athletes are much different emotionally than high school students born and bred for many generations here...

When he played Zona he seemed frustrated at times but it was not personal it was for the team and not wanting to be perceived as a liability (conjecture of course but I'm pretty sure I read that right)...

We forget these are all college students...life has not really happened to most of them...how emotionally mature were you in stress positions at that age?

LongIslandZagFan
12-20-2014, 11:08 PM
OMFG... a freshman getting into foul trouble... WOW!!! Shocker!!! Every big their freshman year is racked with foul trouble. The #### happens... they learn from it and move on. Don't let it stress you out... seriously.

DixieZag
12-21-2014, 01:33 AM
I'm sure he is frustrated, just like nearly all Frosh bigs learning the game at this level (even if it is a step down for him, it's still "different")

- It doesn't mean he is having a bad experience (Thanks GZ, good to hear)
- But it also doesn't mean he "listening too much to Dickie V" or overestimating his talent as the reason

But a person should be allowed to at least ask a question of the people here that might know.

LongIslandZagFan
12-21-2014, 07:49 AM
I'm sure he is frustrated, just like nearly all Frosh bigs learning the game at this level (even if it is a step down for him, it's still "different")

- It doesn't mean he is having a bad experience (Thanks GZ, good to hear)
- But it also doesn't mean he "listening too much to Dickie V" or overestimating his talent as the reason

But a person should be allowed to at least ask a question of the people here that might know.

Ronny used to foul out, Karno used to get tons of dumb fouls, KO used to get tons of fouls. The position is one that tends to be where fouls are most likely to happen. Players learn and get better. Seriously, it really something to get worked up over. If it doesn't improve by the end of the season/next season... well OK... then you worry.

His family has money... if he was worried about money he would not be in Spokane. It is exactly this reason he is here... to learn the game and part of that education is happening now. He needs to learn to play the game with aggression while avoiding silly fouls.

mgadfly
12-21-2014, 07:56 AM
I wish everyone treated your question better regardless of whether they agree with the concern. Some of the responses make me ashamed to be associated with the Zag fan base and I'm glad we have a program and school that doesn't act this way.

So here is my answer to your question: Sabonis is and has been an emotional player that wants to be better. His reaction has nothing to do with his overall happiness. There appears to be no concern that he will get home sick (like Spangler) and bolt back to Spain. The last interview I saw he was very happy with coming to GU and didn't sound like there were any concerns except having the best season possible.

MDABE80
12-21-2014, 10:24 AM
Domas loves GU. He's not going to Argentina..............so don't ask.
I think He's one of the best frosh in the country. This kid will be the "it" sophomore in the country by next season or sooner. He's got major passion for the game and his team. Tommy struck gold with him. Much more skillful than Elias at the same stage. 1/3rd of the way through his frosh year, the kid looks spectacular. Rough and tumble game in Europe and he cut his teeth on that style. He'll settle down. EVen if he doesn't, Domas is an incredible player at his age. I don't remember a better frosh big who's played here. And he's not going to Spain either. Don't ask.:)

hondo
12-21-2014, 10:31 AM
" I don't remember a better frosh big who's played here"
Just thinking that myself--after some serious thought I have to agree totally. I just love the way Domas plays the game.

LongIslandZagFan
12-21-2014, 10:33 AM
I think He's one of the best frosh in the country. This kid will be the "it" sophomore in the country by next season or sooner. He's got major passion for the game and his team. Tommy struck gold with him. Much more skillful than Elias at the same stage. 1/3rd of the way through his frosh year, the kid looks spectacular. Rough and tumble game in Europe and he cut his teeth on that style. He'll settle down. EVen if he doesn't, Domas is an incredible player at his age. I don't remember a better frosh big who's played here. And he's not going to Spain either. Don't ask.:)

This. +1000

Stache
12-21-2014, 10:46 AM
So, is he going to Spain or Argentina? Which is it?!!

Just a little fun ��

Zags11
12-21-2014, 11:13 AM
Yaaaaawn. That contributed zip like a pointless thread.

GrizZAG
12-21-2014, 02:57 PM
Interesting thread. It shows more about us posters than our man Sabonis.

Here's what I think....we are seeing the passion and drive of a future NBA STAR. That's what they look like when they set their bar very high and I believe he will succeed hugely. We are blessed to have him with us.
Domantis Da Man!

Hoopaholic
12-21-2014, 03:37 PM
Interesting thread. It shows more about us posters than our man Sabonis.

Here's what I think....we are seeing the passion and drive of a future NBA STAR. That's what they look like when they set their bar very high and I believe he will succeed hugely. We are blessed to have him with us.
Domantis Da Man!

Spot on

Baseline
12-21-2014, 07:26 PM
I'm less worried about the fouling, that will work itself out. I'm more concerned that he broaden his offense and become more than a one dimensional player. Hi taking a shot not under the basket was great, even though he missed. If he is going to be what we all think he will become he needs to add some new wrinkles.

TheGonzagaFactor
12-22-2014, 07:36 AM
I'd like to believe that Domas's body language after a bad call or a bad play is the sign of passion and may just be the mark of a player who believes he is capable of improvement.

We have talked about the risk of losing Sabonis early to the draft, but is there any risk of him deciding he'd rather go back to what he knows and make money while developing?

Probably not a real problem, but it crossed my mind tonight.

Can't infer this unless you've seen full game tape of him somewhere else to compare. If not, gotta think it's just the way he looks all the time. I think he's enjoying himself, but he's so competitive that he's never going to look happy on the court. I've played with a number of guys just like that.

MileHigh
12-22-2014, 07:51 AM
His main frustration is with his minutes. If that doesn't improve, him going back to play pro ball is definitely an option.

Reborn
12-22-2014, 08:03 AM

Good post. However, i'd say that Elias Harris was better at this point in his career. No one, including the regs, had seen the Eurostep that Elias displayed his frosh year. He would have been drafted into the NBA at the end of his Frosh year had he chosen to go that way. Then, in his second year, the refs began to take that Eurostep away from Elias, as they began to call traveling when he used it. In the long run I think Sabonis will be better, but not now. I think Sabonis' is very much one dimensional right now, like most freshmen are. I think his defense is only average and at times he really hurts the Zags with his careless fouls. He is NOT a good one on one defender, and too thin to play behind bigger centers who post up on him. He's a better 4, but is limited on offense because he can not shoot from the outside. IMO, he gets more minutes on the floor then I would give him. He takes away from minutes from Wiltjer, who in my opinion, is much better then Sabonis. So he (Sabonis) should be happy.

Go Zags!

kitzbuel
12-22-2014, 08:22 AM
His main frustration is with his minutes. If that doesn't improve, him going back to play pro ball is definitely an option.

The biggest limitation on his playing time so far has been his foul trouble. His 20 minutes per game here at GU more than double the 9 minute per game he was getting at Unicaja Malaga.

http://basketball.realgm.com/international/league/1/Euroleague/team/43/Unicaja-Malaga/stats/2014/Averages/All/All/points/All/desc/1/Regular_Season

GonzagasaurusFlex
12-22-2014, 09:37 AM

Speculation or insider information?

TheGonzagaFactor
12-22-2014, 09:47 AM

Uhhh didn't he come to play college ball because he was only getting 10 minutes per game in Spain? :confused:

Birddog
12-22-2014, 12:05 PM
I don't believe he's frustrated, but if he is, maybe it's because we have 3 seniors and no signed recruits for next year.

RenoZag
12-22-2014, 12:23 PM
I don't believe he's frustrated, but if he is, maybe it's because we have 3 seniors and no signed recruits for next year.

:clap:

:cheers:

etcetera

Bing
12-22-2014, 12:25 PM

4 Seniors

jazzdelmar
12-22-2014, 12:27 PM
Wish every player had DS' NBA type motor.

Zagdawg
12-22-2014, 12:32 PM
4 Seniors and no signed recruits.........whatever shall we do.

I guess we could give our walk ons the schollies and the would solve the dilemma for a couple of posters.

Let them move on to posting about something that we haven't talked about like 3-pt defense or free throw shooting-- or maybe scheduling of too many bad teams in the battle in Seattle or just in our OOC in general.

Gotta agree Jazz-- David Stockton has great energy --especially in the steals dept. -- he is doing pretty good in the NBA D league also.

Oregonzagnut
12-22-2014, 01:32 PM
Domas already has had some Euro-League experience, so there is no allure that would make him abandon the NCAA fast(er) track to the NBA. There are no real financial gains to go back to any Euro-league without at least playing 2 years in Div1. Domas displayed patience and wisdom by saying "No" to the Euro-league money, and "Yes" to the 1-2 years of NCAA Div1 that will give him the best NBA draft chance. The Sabonis family is intelligent enough to know that most Euro-Pro leagues aren't much better than the Elite top 25 Div1 teams. They know Domas needs to improve to compete at an elite NCAA level and he isn't there yet. Also the Sabonis family is experienced enough to know that, no matter what Dickie-V or any media or mock draft talking head says, no amount of hype or promotion can convince them that Domas is something he is not.