PDA

View Full Version : So we have 3 seniors and no recruits coming in next year?

thespywhozaggedme
12-18-2014, 06:06 PM
For some reason, I just realized this. Isn't this a bit unusual for this late in the season to have zero commits for next season? I know Jesse Wade committed, but he's got his mission for the next two seasons. We're a national powerhouse, yet have no commits and it's almost the New Year. What do you guys/gals think? Thanks

jazzdelmar
12-18-2014, 06:19 PM
Been thinking about it for months. Have to assume tommy has someone lined up. Then there's that Ruiz kid in Hawaii.

DixieZag
12-18-2014, 06:23 PM
I don't know what to think. I am interested in hearing.

It seems unusual.

We surely are open for business come graduate transfer season.

thespywhozaggedme
12-18-2014, 06:23 PM
I forgot about Angel, so that's four, shoot. Jazz, Ruiz is averaging like 3ppg for a D2 school, I don't think that I'm going out on a limb by saying that he won't be a Zag. Yeah, you gotta think that Tommy's got a secret Euro under wraps.
Been thinking about it for months. Have to assume tommy has someone lined up. Then there's that Ruiz kid in Hawaii.

thespywhozaggedme
12-18-2014, 06:25 PM
Have we ever gone this late into a season without one incoming freshman? What's even weirder is that this team is so hyped by the media, you'd think kids would be lining up to play for us.

gonzagafan62
12-18-2014, 06:35 PM
Edwards Sabonis McClellan Perkins Melson karnowski wiltjer Alberts griffin backamus Triano roese and dranginis.... I count 13 on next years current roster. That means we have 2 spots open. 1 EURO 1 transfer is my guess although they will try hard for nunez

hondo
12-18-2014, 06:37 PM
We really don't have much information, maybe their are guys lined up to come in, maybe not. As usual we are pretty much out of the loop when it comes to recruiting. We can speculate and then make assumptions based on those speculations but we seldom know very much.

thespywhozaggedme
12-18-2014, 06:41 PM
I don't think all four of Griffin, Triano, Roese and Backamus are on schollie, are they?
Edwards Sabonis McClellan Perkins Melson karnowski wiltjer Alberts griffin backamus Triano roese and dranginis.... I count 13 on next years current roster. That means we have 2 spots open. 1 EURO 1 transfer is my guess although they will try hard for nunez

thespywhozaggedme
12-18-2014, 06:43 PM
We really don't have much information, maybe their are guys lined up to come in, maybe not. As usual we are pretty much out of the loop when it comes to recruiting. We can speculate and then make assumptions based on those speculations but we seldom know very much.

Huh? With all due respect, we knew about Perkins and Melson for months, there were daily posts about our recruiting process with them; same for every year; except this one.

zag67
12-18-2014, 06:45 PM
So if you look at next years team, what type of a top recruit would want to come and be on the bench.
PG - Perkins and McClellan
SG - Melson
SF - Dranginis and Alberts (they can also be a SG backup)
PF - Wiltjer, Sabonis, and maybe Nunez
C - Karnowski and Edwards

If I am looking to play immediately, that group is a problem for most incoming freshmen. The following year we are in trouble. We need to get some players that need a year to mature and be ready the following year. Or recruit players the following year that can come in and start immediately. The last option is to recruit Wesley like players for that following year either players that have to redshirt next year or come in as 5th year players the following year

We have 2 redshirts that will be here next year. The following year is where we need to recruit very hard.

zagfan94
12-18-2014, 06:48 PM
Edwards and Alberts will be coming off redshirts so there should be enough depth at every position. I think all the 2015 recruits that we had serious interest in, Pritchard, Murray etc, went elsewhere so unless we can get a senior transfer adding someone will probably only hurt our chances with top 2016 targets.

thespywhozaggedme
12-18-2014, 06:55 PM
Wiltjer came off of redshirt, but we still landed Sabonis. This year is no different than any other. As of now, we're super thin at guard for next season. If another Jenks like injury happens next year.....
Edwards and Alberts will be coming off redshirts so there should be enough depth at every position. I think all the 2015 recruits that we had serious interest in, Pritchard, Murray etc, went elsewhere so unless we can get a senior transfer adding someone will probably only hurt our chances with top 2016 targets.

hondo
12-18-2014, 06:58 PM
We have known about some but most if not all of that information has come for recruiting sites. Many others have just appeared days before an official announcement. Perhaps the coaching staff had been working on them for a long time. My gut feeling is that we are seeing just the tip of the iceberg. Sometimes the tip of the iceberg are the players who end up here but often we end up with a guy we had never heard of. Just saying we don't have a real good view of the situation.

thespywhozaggedme
12-18-2014, 07:02 PM
True, it just seems more mysterious this year than ever before.
We have known about some but most if not all of that information has come for recruiting sites. Many others have just appeared days before an official announcement. Perhaps the coaching staff had been working on them for a long time. My gut feeling is that we are seeing just the tip of the iceberg. Sometimes the tip of the iceberg are the players who end up here but often we end up with a guy we had never heard of. Just saying we don't have a real good view of the situation.

Zag 77
12-18-2014, 07:07 PM
I think I read a month ago that he has left the team. He could probably read the handwriting on the wall that there was not a snowball's chance in hell that he would ever see the floor in an actual game.

thespywhozaggedme
12-18-2014, 07:22 PM
As of next year, with four seniors (counting Angel) leaving, would this be our potential roster depth

PG: Perkins, McClellin
SG: Melson, ?
SF: Drangs, ?
PF: Wiltjer, Sabonis
C: Karno, Sabonis, Edwards

How on earth can anyone say that we don't need some incoming freshmen? Or am I missing some players? Cant really count any of the walk ons, with maybe Connor giving spot minutes at the 3, but he seems more offensively challenged than Hart was.

WallaWallaZag
12-18-2014, 07:27 PM
As of next year, with four seniors (counting Angel) leaving, would this be our potential roster depth

How on earth can anyone say that we don't need some incoming freshmen? Or am I missing some players? Cant really count any of the walk ons, with maybe Connor giving spot minutes at the 3, but he seems more offensively challenged than Hart was.

look above to zag67...you're missing alberts at the 2 & 3 -- also mclellan is a scorer who can play the 2.

gonzagafan62
12-18-2014, 07:32 PM
I think I read a month ago that he has left the team. He could probably read the handwriting on the wall that there was not a snowball's chance in hell that he would ever see the floor in an actual game.

I haven't seen a story on this but if true id like to know

zagfan94
12-18-2014, 07:39 PM
Wiltjer came off of redshirt, but we still landed Sabonis. This year is no different than any other. As of now, we're super thin at guard for next season. If another Jenks like injury happens next year.....

I'm just saying that unless we can get a decent transfer or Euro (Mussini) I'd rather we'd focus recruiting efforts on a 2016 like Cunliffe or Haley then a player we only need for depth/injuries. I think Triano and Griffin are both talented enough to fill in that role.

sittingon50
12-18-2014, 08:12 PM
Somewhere buried in that open offers thread I seem to recall a Juco being mentioned.

hondo
12-18-2014, 09:16 PM

How on earth can anyone say that we don't need some incoming freshmen? Or am I missing some players?

Alberts who had offers from Arizona State, Tulane and Wisconsin is redshirting this year

ZagaZags
12-18-2014, 09:52 PM
Somewhere buried in that open offers thread I seem to recall a Juco being mentioned.

http://future150.com/images/made/images/made/images/uploads/articles/2012/2013%20Action%20Photos/Austin_Pope_634_377_rot270_s_377_634_sha-100_ebbc1e348ddcabbf_rot90.jpg

Austin Pope at NIC is someone to keep an eye on. I'm curious to hear how he does this season.

http://247sports.com/Player/Austin-Pope-25930

GoZags
12-18-2014, 10:07 PM
Zags are fine.

Look for a quality big

Look for an overseas kid.

Look for a transfer.

And either Angel comes back or a quality walk on gets a ride.

Just because you haven't heard about it doesn't mean it's not happening.

I mean c'mon. Do folks really think the staff forgot?.

sittingon50
12-18-2014, 11:30 PM
One would imagine they're consumed by all that goes on on this forum, GZ.

ZagaZags
12-18-2014, 11:39 PM

Plus Christmas is coming. ;)

webspinnre
12-19-2014, 12:19 AM

Hey, it could happen to anyone. I forget where I leave my wallet all the time. :)

BTB
12-19-2014, 12:36 AM
Although I'm not worried per se, I do think we could be in trouble in two years. We know we lose Pangos, GBJ, Wesley, and maybe Nunez this year. I think we will be good enough to stay in the top 20 next year even if we get no recruits (we will). But the following year we will lose, Draino, Karno, Wiltjer, McClellan, and possibly Sabonis. This is a problem that a lot of the top programs face regularly: Duke, UK, Michigan St. etc. see a lot of kids leaving every year without experienced players coming in to replace them. Gonzaga is not one of those teams. We generally live off of players that we've developed for at least 2-3 years before they become serious contributors, with 1-2 exceptions every year (Turiaf, Morrison, Pargo, Daye, Pangos, GBJ, etc..). We are not a team that can reload in 1 year to balance out this many losses. I'm not saying we will be bad in two years or that the coaches aren't working on this, I'm 100% confident this is being addressed. However, I am saying that if this team doesn't add a quality player at at least the 1/2, 2/3, and 4/5 positions next year we will be in real trouble in two seasons. We need to recruit players that will be game ready in 1-2 years, especially at the 4/5. 2016 looks like this (lets not kid ourselves and assume the walkons will be good enough to contribute; Griffin has a long shot):

PG - Perkins
SG - Melson
SF - Alberts
PF - Sabonis?
C - Edwards

I really hope the coaching staff has an eye on some serious players that can come in next year. In the meantime, I believe in them and am just enjoying this year :-)

Zagger
12-19-2014, 03:35 AM
Looking at trends .... Zags are getting good recruits + are known for developing players. The Zags are also going up the roster nationally. This Zag bunch will likely do quite well in the NCAA tournament. The reputation of the Zag program is solid and improving (and Few isn't going anywhere). All this has got to lead to attracting excellent recruits. Wesley made a smart move - I expect others to consider Gonzaga in a similar fashion. Gonzaga is getting good press and deservedly so. I feel we'll see the recruitment coffers full of talent for some time to come. If this team goes deep into the NCAA tournament it will be the icing on the cake for recruitment - nationally & internationally.

titopoet
12-19-2014, 03:47 AM

Alberts (redshirt)
possible Nunez
McCellin is SG combo
So we are back to a standard 8 man rotation.

So the needs really for a Small Forward and a back up PG. Also Griffin can play SF and can help on that end. This years team is the anomaly with 2 deep at every position, but it will help in getting a late commit or a prominent transfer. The problem was known as Tommy said that this years team was so stack that is scaring recruits away for fear of playing time.

thespywhozaggedme
12-19-2014, 04:32 AM
Ah yes, I did forget about Alberts, thanks. But didn't he have major leg/foot/ankle issues in high school and miss most of his senior season?

How on earth can anyone say that we don't need some incoming freshmen? Or am I missing some players?

Alberts who had offers from Arizona State, Tulane and Wisconsin is redshirting this year

thespywhozaggedme
12-19-2014, 04:37 AM
Zags are fine.

Look for a quality big

Look for an overseas kid.

Look for a transfer.

And either Angel comes back or a quality walk on gets a ride.

Just because you haven't heard about it doesn't mean it's not happening.

I didn't see one poster in this thread mention that. I think what's different is that every year by this time theres a ton of buzz about our incoming recruits; Jenks and melson last year, Edwards and the kid that transferred the year before, Shem the year before, etc. This year? Crickets. Which is odd because we're losing four seniors. This year is clearly the exception rather than the norm when it comes to recruiting. I haven't looked yet, but are thee any other top 10 teams that have zero recruits for next season? I've gotta believe that they've got someone stealthily undercover lined up.

thespywhozaggedme
12-19-2014, 04:39 AM
Huh? Why would coaches be concerned about what fans write on a fan based message board? They're way too busy preparing one of the best team in the nation for future foes.

thespywhozaggedme
12-19-2014, 04:42 AM
I'm not sure where this"possible Angel" thing is coming from. I haven't heard that he's getting another season, have you? Eight man rotation, but are you accounting for injuries? We're losing four seniors, who are the recruits that are going to replace them?

Alberts (redshirt)
possible Nunez
McCellin is SG combo
So we are back to a standard 8 man rotation.

So the needs really for a Small Forward and a back up PG. Also Griffin can play SF and can help on that end. This years team is the anomaly with 2 deep at every position, but it will help in getting a late commit or a prominent transfer. The problem was known as Tommy said that this years team was so stack that is scaring recruits away for fear of playing time.

thespywhozaggedme
12-19-2014, 04:55 AM
Here's a list of the top 25; Arizona has 3! Wojo at marquette landed the #6 guy, good for him! Many are still uncommitted:

http://scouthoops.scout.com/topic/players?type=players&start=0&category=%22Basketball%20Recruiting%22&classYear=%222015%22&minimumInterest=%22Low%22#/topic/players?type=players&start=0&category=%22Basketball%20Recruiting%22&classYear=%222015%22&minimumInterest=%22Low%22

26-50:

http://scouthoops.scout.com/topic/players?type=players&start=0&category=%22Basketball%20Recruiting%22&classYear=%222015%22&minimumInterest=%22Low%22#/topic/players?type=players&start=0&category=%22Basketball%20Recruiting%22&classYear=%222015%22&minimumInterest=%22Low%22

51-75; you'll see some names on kids that we missed out on here:

76-100; Oregon State has 3 top 100 recruits; words, I thought that I would never utter in my life, lol:

Reborn
12-19-2014, 04:57 AM
One thing I'd NOT criticize the coaching staff for, or even waste energy and time thinking negative about it, is recruiting. If there's one thing this staff knows how to do is recruit. They've got players in the pipeline, or they will recruit someone after the basketball season or next summer. I have to agree that most high school players who are already signing would not go to GU because there is no room for them to start, and the best recruits do want to start or play significant minutes. There will be players out there who love Gonzaga and would love to play here in a backup role. There is one question that wasn't asked, "what if PK, Wiltjer or Sabonis go to the NBA, or all three go?"

Go Zags!!!

jazzdelmar
12-19-2014, 05:09 AM
Two words of caution: Keegan Hyland.

thespywhozaggedme
12-19-2014, 05:21 AM
Half of the answer to a obscur trivia question that I came up with; name the only team to have a player from both Portland, Oregon and Portland, Maine on the roster at the same time? Gonzaga; Hart and Hyland
Two words of caution: Keegan Hyland.

thespywhozaggedme
12-19-2014, 05:23 AM
I haven't seen one person do this in this thread, have you? This is a fan message board where we discuss our beloved Zags; how they play, who they recruit, etc. This is the first year in forever that I can remember where we have zero commits for next season, which is especially odd since we lose four seniors. One has to think that Tommy has someone secretly stashed away.
One thing I'd NOT criticize the coaching staff for, or even waste energy and time thinking negative about it, is recruiting. If there's one thing this staff knows how to do is recruit. They've got players in the pipeline, or they will recruit someone after the basketball season or next summer. I have to agree that most high school players who are already signing would not go to GU because there is no room for them to start, and the best recruits do want to start or play significant minutes. There will be players out there who love Gonzaga and would love to play here in a backup role. There is one question that wasn't asked, "what if PK, Wiltjer or Sabonis go to the NBA, or all three go?"

Go Zags!!!

zagporvida
12-19-2014, 05:24 AM

You are correct, Roese is no longer listed on the roster at gozags.

cjm720
12-19-2014, 05:26 AM
In Tommy's talk he specifically mentioned trying not to recruit over players as they believe in who they have now. I think we are seeing that for 2015 recruiting.

thespywhozaggedme
12-19-2014, 05:28 AM
Okay, but what's wrong with recruiting for depth? Again, we are losing four seniors. Look at the link I rpovided with the top 100 recruits; tell me what you see.
In Tommy's talk he specifically mentioned trying not to recruit over players as they believe in who they have now. I think we are seeing that for 2015 recruiting.

Baseline
12-19-2014, 06:11 AM
Maybe the coaching staff believes we will make a deep run this year, so they are holding off in hopes of top 50 players. We have a very good team for next tear, maybe as good or better than this year, just a bit thin. They may be gambling big on two deep runs with a load of talent in 2016/

zag67
12-19-2014, 06:52 AM
So Spy, I agree with you in one way but it has to be one of two types of players. First, if we look at the bigs, we hopefully have Wiltjer, Sabonis, Karnowski, Edwards, and maybe Nunez. There would be no minutes at the big. But if some go pro, then there is room, but from a recruiting position it is totally unknown. At the point you have Perkins and McClellan. We should know more in a month, but I think the staff feels the are solid there for next year. Then lastly you have the 2/3 and there we have Alberts, Dranginis and Melson. That also is fairly well covered.

Now, we could have injuries, transfers, early moves to the pros. All of these could change the whole picture for next year. I feel the main problems will be one year later. We do need some bigs and a solid wing to either come in next year and redshirt or be ready to come in and compete immediately the following year. That means more of a JUCO type player, a solid transfer, a Euro, or a fifth year player. Theses are not easy to find and it is easy to go too quickly and make a mistake.
But in two years I feel comfortable with are guards we have as starters, but we do need wing and bigs

cjm720
12-19-2014, 06:59 AM
Okay, but what's wrong with recruiting for depth? Again, we are losing four seniors. Look at the link I rpovided with the top 100 recruits; tell me what you see.

Those top players want to play right away, but we have players that will play right away. Staff is trying to prevent transfers out...

My only concern for next year is the wing spot. Plenty of depth at the guard spot IMO (Perkins, Melson, McC, Alberts, Draginis...5 sharing 2, maybe 3 spots). Perkins will get 35+ minutes. Also looks like staff has its eye on a couple JUCO guards, so I see another player coming in, it just won't be a highly recruited freshman that expects to play. More likely, a quality player that can come in and spell who we currently have.

zag67
12-19-2014, 07:04 AM
My main concern is the unknown of Karnowski, Sabonis, and Wiltjer. As well as the possibility of Hopefully getting Nunez back for one more year. We lose two of them, then we are going to be thin. I think that Alberts and Dranginis could hold Down the fort against most teams, it would be nice to have a JUCO here as well

BULLDOG#1
12-19-2014, 07:18 AM
Ruiz is averaging like 3ppg for a D2 school.

I thought that kid would be killing it. Anyone have details on him and exactly how he's doing?

DixieZag
12-19-2014, 07:24 AM
My main concern is the unknown of Karnowski, Sabonis, and Wiltjer. As well as the possibility of Hopefully getting Nunez back for one more year. We lose two of them, then we are going to be thin. I think that Alberts and Dranginis could hold Down the fort against most teams, it would be nice to have a JUCO here as well

This.

We are relying on one of the three not totally blowing up the way Kelly did (not likely, but maybe) and the NCAA to do the right thing with Nunez - the exact opposite of what they're known for. I think the Nunez decision is critical. He is playing much better this year and next year could be the first big off the bench.

cjm720
12-19-2014, 07:25 AM
I see Draginis and Alberts as combo guards that have the height and length to be pushed into the wing spot, but they're not true wing players like a Wesley or an Ammo (not many are in Ammo's case).

I feel like all our bigs will be around next year (fingers crossed on Nunez, though).

jazzdelmar
12-19-2014, 07:46 AM
Thursday, December 11, 2014
Five best mid-major classes in 2015
By Adam Finkelstein

Conference realignment was supposed to mean the death of mid-majors as perennial mid-major powerhouses such as Xavier, Utah, Butler, Memphis, Temple, Creighton, SMU, and others moved up to high-major conferences.

It hasn’t worked out quite that way though as new programs have emerged as the best of the mid-major elite.

With that in mind, here is a look at the best mid-major recruiting classes to date in the 2015 class:

1. VCU

“Havoc” is synonymous with defensive pressure as VCU’s relentless style of play has become one of the better known brands in college basketball. Offensively though, they’vehad some challenges, especially when unable to create offense from their defense. That won’t be the case for much longer as their 2015 class includes perhaps the best wing scoring tandem the program has had under Shaka Smart. ESPN 100 prospects Tevin Mack (No. 58) and Kenny Williams (No. 79) won’t just bring productivity, they’re two guys who can score from various spots on the floor, including behind the 3-point line. Add in Jordan Murphy, a combo forward who fits the prototype necessary for the Havoc style, and this is the top mid-major class in the country to date (ranked No. 25 in our class rankings).

2. UNLV

The Rebels currently rank No. 30 in our class rankings and ESPN 100 small forward Derrick Jones (No. 22) is a big reason why. Jones became the latest big-name national product to go on live TV and announce for the Rebels. Jones is one of the premier athletes and best finishers in the entire country and ideally suited for the up-and-down system that coach Dave Rice is implementing on The Strip. Jalen Poyser is another strategic fit as a 6-foot-4 guard who has the size, length, and athleticism to make plays both on the defensive end as well as in the open floor. UNLV might not be done yet though as it's focusing all of its attention on Stephen Zimmerman (No. 10) and reportedly making up ground in the process.

3. Wichita State

Gregg Marshall has a deep and talented four-man class signed that will solidify his perimeter for years to come. ESPN 100 SF Markis McDuffie (No. 92) is coming off a big summer but is still a young senior who is just scratching the surface of his potential and will be able to play multiple positions one day. Landry Shamet and Tyrone Taylor provide a pair of 6-foot-4 guards who are both capable of making shots in bunches and being ball-hawks on the defensive end. Eric Hamilton is a 6-foot-8 four-man who committed last year but is spending a year at nearby Sunrise Christian Academy to continue to develop his frame and IQ. That quartet is joined by Kansas transfer Conner Frankamp, another shot-maker who will be capable of playing on or off the ball.

4. San Diego State

The Aztecs continue to reel in top talent, albeit with only two signatures coming out of the early signing period. ESPN 100 SG Jeremy Hemsley (No. 57) is one of the top mid-major recruits in the country and will make an immediate contribution on both ends of the floor. Brodricks Jones is a 6-foot-9 big man with a high ceiling thanks to his combination of size, length, athleticism, and budding offensive game. San Diego State will be looking to punctuate the group in the late signing period, whether that be from the high school ranks or via transfer, and should benefit from last month’s announcement that Steve Fisher has signed a three-year extension.

5. Dayton

Archie Miller’s latest impressive recruiting haul is best characterized by its depth and balance. There might not be an immediate star among the four signees, but they should all have long and productive careers in the Atlantic 10. John Crosby is a big combo guard who will be ready to play immediate minutes from day one at either guard position while Sam Miller is a prototypical skilled four-man who can stretch the floor to the arc. Xeyrius Williams might have the best upside of anyone in the class with his combination of size and perimeter skills while Ryan Mikesell is a future fan favorite as a jack-of-all-trades utility forward who is full of intangibles.

Best of the Rest -- New Mexico, Saint Joseph’s, Harvard, Rice, Tulane, San Jose State, Northeastern, Ball State, UTEP, Colorado State, Loyola (IL), Boise State and Montana State.

gonzagafan62
12-19-2014, 08:05 AM
Thanks for posting that Jazz. Good stuff.

thespywhozaggedme
12-19-2014, 08:21 AM
11mpg, 1.3ppg. Took me 30 seconds to look it up. Safe to say, he's not going to be a Zag.

http://hiloathletics.com/cumestats.aspx?path=mbball&year=2014

http://hiloathletics.com/cumestats.aspx?path=mbball&year=2014

I thought that kid would be killing it. Anyone have details on him and exactly how he's doing?

titopoet
12-19-2014, 08:31 AM
Huh? Why would coaches be concerned about what fans write on a fan based message board? They're way too busy preparing one of the best team in the nation for future foes.

Because we are the most interesting board in the world. "Stay thirsty, my friends."

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55279168.jpg

GoZags
12-19-2014, 08:45 AM
I'm not sure where this"possible Angel" thing is coming from. I haven't heard that he's getting another season, have you? Eight man rotation, but are you accounting for injuries? We're losing four seniors, who are the recruits that are going to replace them?

Spy .... re: "possible Angel" ... nobody has heard, as the NCAA appeal put forth by Gonzaga hasn't been decided.

I have absolutely zero concern about the last part of your post (and the basis for this thread) .... "who are the recruits that are going to replace them?" None at all.

sittingon50
12-19-2014, 09:46 AM
Thought I read somewhere that the program is being disbanded.

titopoet
12-19-2014, 09:50 AM

They are in the midst of appealing his medical transfer, and it may or may not come through. Thw WCC said no, but the NCAA may grant the waver. so for now it remains possible. http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2014/sep/17/nunez-waiver-denied-schedule-released/

gozagswoohoo
12-19-2014, 09:53 AM
NO WAY!!! Did you guys see the front page of the paper this morning?!?!?!?

http://i.imgur.com/YwDSxIC.png

GoZags
12-19-2014, 10:01 AM
Thought I read somewhere that the program is being disbanded.

bingo

TheZagPhish
12-19-2014, 10:15 AM

I totally saw that. Didn't think anyone actually read that rag.

PS. Adam's suit is sharp!

Zagger
12-19-2014, 10:41 AM
Where can I get a subscription to the RiverFront Times?!? Their photographer got Adam in the best suit he's worn so far! ;-)

seacatfan
12-19-2014, 10:44 AM
Those top players want to play right away, but we have players that will play right away. Staff is trying to prevent transfers out...

That doesn't stop many of those top players from signing with blue blood teams that are already loaded with talent. In some cases they can predict early entries and have a good idea if they'll have a reasonable shot at earning lots of PT right away, but not always. Duke signed a top 2G, with 3 former McD's AA 2G already on the roster, none of which is a Sr. and none likely to go pro this year. Unless most of them are transferring, the new signee isn't seeing any PT any time soon. Kentucky loads up on top talent every year. Some years they turn over almost half of their roster, but they didn't have nearly as many guys leave after last season as was expected. Maybe they lose 5 or 6 after this season, or maybe only a couple. Some kids wait til spring to sign so they know for certain what rosters will look like for various schools the following year, but most have already signed by then. Many of these top kids are not scared of competition and believe they will play no matter where they go.

cjm720
12-19-2014, 12:30 PM
We may get there, but we don't have the legendary status of those schools.

Also, I have a hunch our staff is very upfront with recruits about playing time whereas some other programs may not be.

Generally speaking, I believe the staff is purposely not recruiting too much for high level 2015 players due to our current make up.

That doesn't stop many of those top players from signing with blue blood teams that are already loaded with talent. In some cases they can predict early entries and have a good idea if they'll have a reasonable shot at earning lots of PT right away, but not always. Duke signed a top 2G, with 3 former McD's AA 2G already on the roster, none of which is a Sr. and none likely to go pro this year. Unless most of them are transferring, the new signee isn't seeing any PT any time soon. Kentucky loads up on top talent every year. Some years they turn over almost half of their roster, but they didn't have nearly as many guys leave after last season as was expected. Maybe they lose 5 or 6 after this season, or maybe only a couple. Some kids wait til spring to sign so they know for certain what rosters will look like for various schools the following year, but most have already signed by then. Many of these top kids are not scared of competition and believe they will play no matter where they go.

gonzagafan62
12-19-2014, 12:44 PM

Also, I have a hunch our staff is very upfront with recruits about playing time whereas some other programs may not be.

Generally speaking, I believe the staff is purposely not recruiting too much for high level 2015 players due to our current make up.

I believe you are 100% correct cjm

rawkmandale
12-19-2014, 12:50 PM
In my tiny little mind, Byron Wesley has made us into a serious contender this year. We have not seen a slasher/scorer like him in a really long time. He is also rebounding and defending well. We have some great young guards in line to replace Pangos and Bell, but who would replace Wesley next year? That skill set seems to be the NUMBER ONE priority to add for next year, through any and all means.

maynard g krebs
12-19-2014, 01:33 PM
thespywhozaggedme[/B]1063024] every year by this time theres a ton of buzz about our incoming recruits; Jenks and melson last year, Edwards and the kid that transferred the year before,

We must be reading different boards. There was hardly a "ton of buzz" about Edwards and Meikle; both were rated in the 700s nationally by Maxpreps and what I remember is a lot of talk about why the Zags couldn't recruit anybody who was more highly ranked that year.

And imo that's a perfect example of why it's pointless to worry.

seacatfan
12-19-2014, 01:35 PM

You're probably right, some coaching staffs might make promises they don't keep or are less than forthcoming or truthful with potential recruits. I definitely appreciate integrity. The idea of "recruiting over" players is a slippery slope. You do have to continually keep talent coming down the pipeline. Some years the recruiting needs aren't as big as others, but you also always have to be looking several years down the road and keeping the big picture in mind. Agree the Zags should be good to go in '15-'16 even losing all the Sr. or even an underclassmen big, but '16-'17 is definitely going to require quite a few more players coming into the program between now and then.

kitzbuel
12-19-2014, 04:18 PM

http://i.imgur.com/YwDSxIC.png
I want those sweet cuff links.

Reborn
12-19-2014, 05:57 PM
The Best is yet to come!!!!

Go Zags!!! I'm not worried at all. If you want to, go ahead.

zag67
12-19-2014, 08:01 PM
Here is my logic why we will not lose any of our bigs. I was worried that we would lose one or two of them this spring, but I have changed my mind. This years draft is just too strong. I think our bigs would have trouble getting into the first round. They have a super international set, plus so many under class members that will probably go in the lottery. But that is my logic. I think the following year has a weaker set of players. Therefore our players would go higher for the guaranteed money.

ehk 21
12-20-2014, 08:11 AM
Actually, I'd like to rename this thread to "The Silly Worrying of the Super-Wealthy." Years ago I worked for a company that catered to clients who were multi-millionaires. And, sometimes, when conversing with them in social settings the super wealthy would be wringing their hands about their terrible problems. It might be that the Rolls Royce was always in the repair shop or the gardener screwed up one of the heirloom rose bushes. Or poor Junior wasn't accepted into any Ivy League Schools: he had to settle for NYU. That's what this thread sounds like to me.

Gonzaga is currently college basketball royalty--super wealthy, so to speak. Yes, we aren't quite Kentucky or Duke where we can snap our fingers and summon whichever players we would like to attend our school. And we are irritated by sting of NCAA disappointments. However, the past 16 years have demonstrated that this coaching staff can recruit and put together teams that are capable of maintaining Gonzaga's status as dominator of the WCC, NCAA tournament participant, and national basketball brand. We have to be a bit more creative than the Kentuckys of the world, but we bring in players who are great basketball players…and, in my opinion, equally as important, we bring in players who are generally great people who are a credit to Gonzaga and the community. I can't name more than about five or six basketball programs in the entire country I think have it better than us on a consistent, year-to-year basis, and that's pretty amazing if you think about where Gonzaga basketball was in let's say 1978, compared to the other members of the super-wealthy class of basketball programs. Think about where we are in relative terms to 1978 and where UCLA is now relative to 1978 and tell me if that's not an amazing thing to consider as we bask in the afterglow of winning our recent game in Pauley Pavilion.

So, stop your handwringing you super wealthy. Don't fret about the rose bushes while forgetting to enjoy all the blessings you currently have. I am quite confident that the staff we have in place will get their job done in terms of recruiting in a most-satisfactory manner. So, to quote Aaron Rodgers, R-E-L-A-X.

gonzagafan62
12-20-2014, 08:26 AM
I also want to add, that we should have a little bit of fun in the summer. Heck we basically know our schedule outside of the BIS and the other cupcakes. UCLA Arizona, Pittsburgh, SMU... and that tournament where we could possibly play Washington or a load of other stud teams.

We will get other Zag players with hair. Don't worry. Might just have to wait for the summertime to know who they are.

Reborn
12-20-2014, 10:17 AM
I want those sweet cuff links.

So now I know why the Zags aren't recruiting a small forward.....wow!!!

thespywhozaggedme
12-22-2014, 06:27 AM
Okay, so we lose four seniors and as of rigth now have zero incoming freshmen to replace them. Who gets those 4 schollies?

Angelo Roncalli
12-22-2014, 06:44 AM
Re-cue Henny Penny.

GoZags
12-22-2014, 07:11 AM
Okay, so we lose four seniors and as of rigth now have zero incoming freshmen to replace them. Who gets those 4 schollies?

Hey ... GREAT question !!! And here's the latest !!!

There is NO update since you "asked" the question last week.

Here's an idea .... a) Pay attention to the board. If/when the status changes, you'd probably hear about it. Or, there's always b) Pay attention to the board. If you HAD paid attention, you'd know that GU wasn't planning to sign anyone in the early period for '15, and you'd know "why".

FWIW this is "deja vu" from 2 years ago .... when Spy taught everyone that the #1 team in the nation "should" work harder at recruiting .... that there were ESPN Top 100 kids who hadn't committed .... that didn't Gonzaga 'know" how they were supposed to act as the #1 team in the nation? That thread in Feb. '13 had similar responses to this thread. The only difference is the OP wasn't edited ... thus making the questions questioning the OP more valid.

And the fact of the matter is this ..... 2 seasons after being #1, Gonzaga Basketball is in pretty good shape. Even IF some posters think GU is dropping the ball on recruiting, that they don't get enough ESPN kids, and the staff doesn't know how to act.

sittingon50
12-22-2014, 07:12 AM
It's crunch time. This time of year I think it will solely depend on who has been naughty & who has been nice.

thespywhozaggedme
12-22-2014, 07:52 AM
Hey ... GREAT question !!! And here's the latest !!!

There is NO update since you "asked" the question last week.

Here's an idea .... a) Pay attention to the board. If/when the status changes, you'd probably hear about it. Or, there's always b) Pay attention to the board. If you HAD paid attention, you'd know that GU wasn't planning to sign anyone in the early period for '15, and you'd know "why".

FWIW this is "deja vu" from 2 years ago .... when Spy taught everyone that the #1 team in the nation "should" work harder at recruiting .... that there were ESPN Top 100 kids who hadn't committed .... that didn't Gonzaga 'know" how they were supposed to act as the #1 team in the nation? That thread in Feb. '13 had similar responses to this thread. The only difference is the OP wasn't edited ... thus making the questions questioning the OP more valid.

And the fact of the matter is this ..... 2 seasons after being #1, Gonzaga Basketball is in pretty good shape. Even IF some posters think GU is dropping the ball on recruiting, that they don't get enough ESPN kids, and the staff doesn't know how to act.

I haven't seen one poster say any of the bolded, could you provide a link? Also, in your haste for your passive aggresive response my question WAS NOT the same; I just wanted to know if some walk ons would get the schollies. You're really wound too tight sometimes. The whole world is not out to get you. Bitterness and Unforgivenes are like drinking poison everyday, hoping the other person will die. Life is waaay to short to get so angry over such trivial things. Merry Christmas.

GoZags
12-22-2014, 08:50 AM
Merry Christmas to you and yours as well, Spy.

Hard to say whether or not your request can be accomplished, as unfortunately you'd edited the OP of this thread the day after you posted it (and after 29 responses). I recall the unedited post to be similar in nature to this comment of yours from '13 .... particularly the "We're a national powerhouse, yet have no commits" part.

Here's

We're the # 6 team in the nation and arguably the top program in the entire West Coast. We should start acting and recruiting like it. For crying out loud Manhattan signed a 5 * and UTEP and USF just signed 4* recruits. They can't say yes or no if you don't ask.

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?43831-Why-aren-t-we-making-a-push-for-Aaron-Gordon&p=865965#post865965

Sorry if I mistook your edited OP to be similar in nature to your questioning the staff as to why they weren't acting and recruiting like a "national powerhouse" should.

I haven't seen one poster say any of the bolded, could you provide a link? Also, in your haste for your passive aggresive response my question WAS NOT the same; I just wanted to know if some walk ons would get the schollies. You're really wound too tight sometimes. The whole world is not out to get you. Bitterness and Unforgivenes are like drinking poison everyday, hoping the other person will die. Life is waaay to short to get so angry over such trivial things. Merry Christmas.

Zagdawg
12-22-2014, 10:08 AM
I'm in the wait and see what happens side of the house --going to let this season play out ....then maybe I will jump on the panic bandwagon as we get closer to the end of summer---until then--life it too short to try to create a perceived end of the world scenario when there is not one occurring.

Go Zags

thespywhozaggedme
12-22-2014, 12:07 PM
I'm in the wait and see what happens side of the house --going to let this season play out ....then maybe I will jump on the panic bandwagon as we get closer to the end of summer---until then--life it too short to try to create a perceived end of the world scenario when there is not one occurring.

Go Zags
Couldn't agree more; thankfully no one has done that in this thread.

RenoZag
12-22-2014, 12:35 PM
Couldn't agree more; thankfully no one has done that in this thread.

Baloney.