PDA

View Full Version : Respect for the Zags in Preseason Polls?

zagster318
09-13-2007, 06:07 PM
With the exception of Lindy's and Katz, the Zags are being disrespected in the preseason polls. For instance, they aren't even in the top 30 for the Fox Sports Preseason poll or Rivals. Conversely, there are teams that are overrated every year, no matter how much they talent they lose. For example, Duke is #11 after losing Josh McRoberts? Alabama #14 after underachieving last year and losing Jermareo Davidson? Maybe it's just me, but after 9 straight tournament appearances, the Zags still have to prove that they belong every year. What will it take to change that perception? A final four, national championship?:confused:

zzzjag
09-13-2007, 06:20 PM
perhaps someone can collect a 'composite' of all preseason polls for the upcoming season.

I do believe Andy Katz and some other ESPN guys have the Zags in the top 15. I was pretty disappointed to see the countdown on Yahoo (by Rivals) come in where they were 32 or so.

I am not 100% aware of the teams that have shown up on the countdown since (UW was next) but I wouldn't want to face the Zags if I were them. I guess thats what UW and Romar figured too.

Oh well, we all know the most important poll is the final one of the season. That being said, I do remember the year the Zags lost to UConn in Maui and then remained ranked fairly high. Other seasons one loss meant the Zags were out of the top 25.

spudzag
09-13-2007, 06:58 PM
I'm okay with needing to prove it, this year any way.

The success here is too short lived to qualify as a tradition. Give it another 10 years.

kylasdad
09-13-2007, 07:04 PM
I personally feel the Zags are a legit top 10-20 team. In fairness to the polls (which I hate and love), Josh and Theo are not technically locks to be back. Will they, I can't imagine they wont be back. If Josh and Theo aren't on the team I think we are only a top 50 team.

Personally, I would rather have the Zags start the season around 30 in the polls and then work their way up. Barring injuries or serious chemistry issues, I see the Zags being very close if not in the top 10.

former1dog
09-13-2007, 07:11 PM
Personally, I could care less where the team starts out in the polls, with no games played.

I would love for the boys to move up in the polls steadily as the season progresses, though, in recognition of a great season.

MickMick
09-13-2007, 07:54 PM
Gonzaga has plenty of respect as a basketball institution. Having said that, the basketball world only knows of a team that had off court issues and a dismal performance in the NCAA tournament. A few quality wins and the Zag bandwagon will be rollin'.

Nevtelen
09-13-2007, 08:32 PM
I think it's just that memory fades fast. Sportswriter Smith basically remembers Morrison and then a down year with some off-court problems after. He may or may not know much in-depth info about GU incoming class (Gray was somewhat under the radar - especially outside the PNW, Ira! was totally under the radar, and Sacre isn't well-known or particularly highly rated), but with his cursory research, he probably sees that the team lost their leading scorer and that it isn't clear whether or not Josh and Theo will be back yet. With that knowledge, a 30ish ranking makes sense. With more in-depth research on the team, I don't think it does. But I think the team will prove that on the court, so it won't be an issue - a lot of sportswriters will just look like they didn't know what they were doing.

drnoe
09-13-2007, 09:00 PM
This is no big deal. A strong showing in the first 2 months will easily put the Zags in the top 15 or better. If I were a rich man, dinner and drinks for all would be on me if Austin Daye doesn't absolutely tear it up this year...he will not only be WCC frosh of the year, he will make the frosh all-American team. This team is easily 8-9 deep...deeper than most teams. Josh and Jeremy need to stick around next year unless their personal familial financial situations dictate otherwise...they both would greatly benefit from another year.

Scotto
09-13-2007, 10:19 PM
Forget the polls, just worry where they will finish at the end of the season. Last time I checked, being ranked didn't have any effect on winning a championship.

Nevtelen
09-13-2007, 10:51 PM
Forget the polls, just worry where they will finish at the end of the season. Last time I checked, being ranked didn't have any effect on winning a championship.

Especially preseason. But it doesn't hurt recruiting if all the preseason mags have the team in the top 25.

zagster318
09-13-2007, 11:31 PM
Especially preseason. But it doesn't hurt recruiting if all the preseason mags have the team in the top 25.

Bingo!

Butler Guy
09-14-2007, 04:16 AM
One thing I've learned is that when things are 'good', they're never as good as they seem at the time, and when things are 'bad', they're never as bad as they seem at the time.

The same goes for these types of things, you are generally right in the middle somewhere of where the "expert" pollers have you ranked. (Also why indexing works so well)

kitzbuel
09-14-2007, 05:01 AM
Bingo!
I think NCAA tournament performance is probably more important for recruiting for a couple of reasons. 1) Easier to get more TV, 2) Rankings follow tourney success. I think if we can post another Elite 8 or better run this year, it will help our off-season rankings in general.

I also think off-season rankings are a crock (see Michigan, College Football).

gonzagulous
09-14-2007, 05:41 AM
I think NCAA tournament performance is probably more important for recruiting for a couple of reasons.

I agree with you on that point, but being in the top 25 really increases the team's visibility (and thus its recruiting power). Just one example of this: all the ESPN channels display the scores of all the top 25 games every few minutes during basketball season, along with a line or two of game notes. If you're not in the top 25, your scores are displayed less frequently and with no notes. I'm sure many of you noticed how annoying this is last season in those dark days when we weren't ranked.

That being said, a top 25 ranking won't be handed to us after last season until this year's team can prove itself... which we will. We always perform better as underdogs anyways :D

former1dog
09-14-2007, 06:32 AM
I'm sure many of you noticed how annoying this is last season in those dark days when we weren't ranked.

Man, you would have went ballistic if you had been a GU fan back in the early 90's trying to find any immediate info about GU games... ;)

Zag365
09-14-2007, 06:47 AM
This is perfect! We got our national fan base by being lovable, underestimated, blue-collar, no frills, hard-working, team-oriented, good character, everyperson darlings. The we-have-to-prove-it challenge has always inspired our teams and reflects how many alums feel about the heretofore little known university. Thank-you, thank-you poll pundits.

Zag By the Bay
09-14-2007, 07:49 AM
You can't expect the Zags to be ranked too high in the preseason polls, we have lots of question that need to be answered. Will they? For the past two seasons, true Zags fans have been hearing how great this upcoming season will be and I for one am excited to see how the season unfolds.

mobetta
09-14-2007, 10:17 AM
It certainly is fun to try to predict how the season will go, but it reminds me of a job I had many years ago in an old mainframe computer center. Young students used to walk up to me at a help desk with a listing for the computer program they just wrote. They'd ask me if the program would work. I'd glance quickly at the program, then back at them and say, "try it, that's only way to find out."

Which, of course, is the same answer for the outcome of any season, we have to play the games to find out.

But, that said, my prediction is that we'll get knocked out in either the sweet sixteen or elite eight, this year. But, next year, when the most of our best players are at their college peak, we are going to win it all.

Won't that be fun?

frontrangezag
09-14-2007, 10:35 AM
I think we'll be somewhere around #18 at the start of the season although I would not mind if we were in the mid 20's.

I fully expect the pre-seasons rankings concerning the Zags to be all over the place this year.

At any rate, I would not be surprised if we finished the year around #8, with the #2 or #3 seed in Denver.

zagster318
09-14-2007, 10:38 AM
It certainly is fun to try to predict how the season will go, but it reminds me of a job I had many years ago in an old mainframe computer center. Young students used to walk up to me at a help desk with a listing for the computer program they just wrote. They'd ask me if the program would work. I'd glance quickly at the program, then back at them and say, "try it, that's only way to find out."

Which, of course, is the same answer for the outcome of any season, we have to play the games to find out.

But, that said, my prediction is that we'll get knocked out in either the sweet sixteen or elite eight, this year. But, next year, when the most of our best players are at their college peak, we are going to win it all.

Won't that be fun?

Are you operating under the assumption that Heytvelt and Pargo will not jump to the NBA next year? While we might be able to survive the departure of Heytvelt, the Zags will not make a championship run without Pargo, IMHO.

mobetta
09-14-2007, 10:56 AM
Yeah, I agree, Josh and Jeremy have to return. I think that they will feel the magic during this year's final run and they'll know that they can finish it off with one more year. I think that they will both have super years this year and Josh will feel forgiven and indebted to the Gonzaga program and fans.

skiptheskier
09-14-2007, 11:55 AM
I don't think its unreasonable to have us in around 30. I'll admit, I know little about other teams. However, I do know GU has a lot of question marks in which the answers might seem obvious to us, but to someone who covers dozens of teams the answers are not always there.

How do we replace our leading scorer?

We keep our finger on the pulse of the JH/TD situation. National sportswriters might come by one in a while to check for signs of life.

Will the new guys contribute? Normally, the freshmen that make a significant impact on the national stage are McD all Americans that play for big time schools at big time conferences. Even not many of those guys do it. I think it is reasonable for a national sportswriter look at our incoming class and assume they will make a modest impact with out having any big time names. Certainly not one to warrant a jump from 30 to 15. Few HS AAs could make that kind of impact.