PDA

View Full Version : How many people watch the games multiple times and why do they like doing so?

Marcus
12-17-2014, 12:32 PM
I was just curious to know how many others watch the Zag games multiple times. I rewatch most of them, even the blowouts, much to my wifes dismay haha. I like to watch them again to get a better sense of how each player did without the emotion of the live game. I find it easier to gauge what the team did well and what they need to improve on when I'm not freaking out and yelling at the TV. Its not so fun to relive the close losses but I still get something out of it anyway.

bartruff1
12-17-2014, 12:34 PM
Once is enough.....for most things...

gonzagafan62
12-17-2014, 12:36 PM
I was just curious to know how many others watch the Zag games multiple times. I rewatch most of them, even the blowouts, much to my wifes dismay haha. I like to watch them again to get a better sense of how each player did without the emotion of the live game. I find it easier to gauge what the team did well and what they need to improve on when I'm not freaking out and yelling at the TV. Its not so fun to relive the close losses but I still get something out of it anyway.

I rewatch all Gonzaga games around 3-4 times. Tournament games I still rewatch.... The ones we win. I have watched those games close to 30 times. Thanks to RPN... I can watch the games at home and on youtube at the flip of a coin.

I constantly have my computer/TV on Gonzaga stuff constantly.

EDIT: I like to do so because I love this team so much, and really whats better to do at work when you don't have to be on the phone than watch Gonzaga vs Washington State (2012) ... Gonzaga vs WKU, Gonzaga @ West Virginia, Gonzaga vs West Virginia in the tournament... Gonzaga vs St Johns? You know all the games... I love them. Heck I have watched Gonzaga vs Colorado State numerous times... Its just fun ... Especially in the summer... the long dragging on summer. Its good for the offseason too.

stevet75
12-17-2014, 12:51 PM
I only watch once, however, I do record the games and might go back to look at something specific, or re-watch a certain part of the game.

Pure
12-17-2014, 01:10 PM
I tend to watch each game twice. During the live viewing I am typically to emotionally involved to catch many of the nuances i see during the second viewing.

That is of coarse unless they lose. In which case no ESPN no GUBOard and No- Rewatch.

Hoopaholic
12-17-2014, 01:12 PM
I do

First real time live to enjoy the atmosphere, efforts and teamwork that competition brings

Second time from my scouting perspective..I love to scout and use the zag games as a practice for finding patterns, issues, strengths and weakness

Keep some games to watch later to compare improvements

TravelinZag
12-17-2014, 01:15 PM
Usually once. On several occasions, have reviewed, ignoring the ball, which isn't easy the first time. Amazing what ignoring the ball reveals: who gets the program, but adjusts to the situation, who overreacts,, leaving himself out of defensive position or gumming up the offense, who is getting under an opponent's skin, etc. Makes me more appreciative of the learning curve, and of players' progress. Will definitely make me cut McClelland some slack for a few weeks. See the huge improvement in Karno's footwork and off-the-ball movement. Recognize the focus on either team's part to deny the ball to a player. Fascinating what even a non-expert can learn when disinterested in the progress/result of the game because you already know that. Sort of like viewing a play when you know the plot and some of the lines well. Lets you focus on the performance.

zag buddy
12-17-2014, 01:19 PM
I re watch the games multiple times with my focus on just one player to see how he played and the progress or lack there of that he displays. As an ex. in re watching KW the entire game the last 3 or 4 games, I do not understand how people say his defense is poor. In what I have seen his defense is good. Maybe not great, but very good. His all out effort is outstanding. When I first saw him play he was on the lower end of athletic ability of our players. He has progressed into a very serviceable defensive player and with his continued work ethic if he continues and takes the next step he will be a top 15 draft pick. He truly has my admiration for his remarkable commitment to attain his skill level. On the other hand Melson is a work in progress and he will become very good and I will enjoy watching his progress. While KW development was physical, Melsons challenge is mental. He has all the tools physically so will have to develop mentally in his attitude and skills to be a team player first and once that is attained a leader. But you do not demand to be a leader you earn it such as Kevin Pangoes has. My indulgence in this ativity sure beats the heck out of watching sitcoms.

seacatfan
12-17-2014, 01:37 PM
I re watch the games multiple times with my focus on just one player to see how he played and the progress or lack there of that he displays. As an ex. in re watching KW the entire game the last 3 or 4 games, I do not understand how people say his defense is poor. In what I have seen his defense is good. Maybe not great, but very good. His all out effort is outstanding. When I first saw him play he was on the lower end of athletic ability of our players. He has progressed into a very serviceable defensive player and with his continued work ethic if he continues and takes the next step he will be a top 15 draft pick. He truly has my admiration for his remarkable commitment to attain his skill level. On the other hand Melson is a work in progress and he will become very good and I will enjoy watching his progress. While KW development was physical, Melsons challenge is mental. He has all the tools physically so will have to develop mentally in his attitude and skills to be a team player first and once that is attained a leader. But you do not demand to be a leader you earn it such as Kevin Pangoes has. My indulgence in this ativity sure beats the heck out of watching sitcoms.

I also think Wiltjer is better defensively than he is being given credit for. Occasionally he displays some lack of lateral movement/quickness and gets blown by on the drive, but it's not frequent. He seems to have a good overall understanding of defensive positioning. He gets some blocks and alters/bothers some shots with his length.

kitzbuel
12-17-2014, 02:10 PM
I watch most games a second time because frankly it is very difficult for me to stay awake for 11:00 PM starts here on the right coast.

gonzagafan62
12-17-2014, 02:12 PM
I watch most games a second time because frankly it is very difficult for me to stay awake for 11:00 PM starts here on the right coast.

Its not easy for me either at 10pm CT with a 6 month old baby. Erg. Ive been completely successful so far.

abarefootboy
12-17-2014, 02:56 PM
i like to watch the game again the next night. i'm less emotional , more able to appreciate the work of different players ... to tune in on getting a sense of team spirit .. and i love to replay those moments of excellence over and over.

gozagswoohoo
12-17-2014, 03:15 PM

Not with intercourse.

gozagswoohoo
12-17-2014, 03:16 PM

Unless you ask my wife. Then she would definitley agree.

cjm720
12-17-2014, 03:19 PM
Used to watch games twice before having kids. Always fun to watch for the little things such as bench reactions, team chemistry, set plays etc.

Now that I have kids it's hard to watch a whole game without falling asleep!

sullyzag66
12-17-2014, 03:22 PM
i like to watch the game again the next night. i'm less emotional , more able to appreciate the work of different players ... to tune in on getting a sense of team spirit .. and i love to replay those moments of excellence over and over.

I usually watch a second time because my wife won't watch unless she knows Zags won. Too emotional. So, losses, I usually watch once. Same action on the replay button.

abarefootboy
12-17-2014, 03:26 PM
I usually watch a second time because my wife won't watch unless she knows Zags won. Too emotional. So, losses, I usually watch once. Same action on the replay button.

yes sullyzag66 ... a loss .. once is enough

bballbeachbum
12-17-2014, 03:47 PM
I do but not as much as I used to, busy coaching, 2 kids, etc. Used to VHS games way back when, when that technology came out I was psyched just because you could tape games and rewatch them play by play. just had mountains of tape. anyway, the second time you watch it's generally easier to focus in on different specifics when outside the competitive moment, when you can see what happened again while already knowing the outcomes and learn what everyone's doing, basically. and it's fun to do it, if you're into that kind of stuff...maybe it sounds weird to some too

NumberCruncher
12-17-2014, 04:02 PM
Not with intercourse.

I read this before I read the quote, and I thought you were speaking directly to the OP. :roll:

former1dog
12-17-2014, 04:05 PM
I record all the games. Watching a game a second time is pretty rare for me. Although my wife wouldn't know that since she yells at me to delete old games because they are taking up space on the DVR.

Mantua
12-17-2014, 04:28 PM
I do

First real time live to enjoy the atmosphere, efforts and teamwork that competition brings

Second time from my scouting perspective..I love to scout and use the zag games as a practice for finding patterns, issues, strengths and weakness

Keep some games to watch later to compare improvements

I usually watch games twice for the same reasons. I miss too much the first time and my emotional state certainly hinders me from being a good observer if a game is at all close. I use the rewind and slow motion functions often just to savor great plays or satisfy my curiosity regarding others.

zagamatic
12-17-2014, 05:48 PM
I don't watch every game multiple times, but I often do go back and watch a second time. Mainly I like to be able to focus on how an individual player or even a specific group of players are playing. I definitely tend to focus on things other than what's going on with the ball. Such as defense, movement without the ball. Who's missing assignments, etc. It allows a different perspective once you know the outcome. And I was really glad that I hadn't deleted last season once I found out that I'd be laid up all summer with a knee injury.

caduceus
12-17-2014, 06:17 PM
Not with intercourse.

I read this before I read the quote, and I thought you were speaking directly to the OP. :roll:

http://i.imgur.com/CgX2A.gif

Reborn
12-17-2014, 06:26 PM
I almost always do. In the close games it's a little more enjoyable the second and 3rd times. I agree with those who just love to see their favorite team, the team they love, on TV.

Go Zags!!!

Baseline
12-17-2014, 08:25 PM
I usually watch it at least twice. For some reason I watch the offense pretty well the first time, so the second pass is to look at the defense and any particulars that may be coaching things spotted.
For example, PK had the ball stripped a few times this year after a rebound. he was holding the ball out for someone to poke at, now he pulls it in and wraps his arms aroiund it until its cleared out. That looks like something the coaches have added. Notices a few things with Domas and KW. Its fun to pick out what they are working on.

Zagricultural
12-18-2014, 08:17 AM
I tend to watch each game twice. During the live viewing I am typically to emotionally involved to catch many of the nuances i see during the second viewing.

That is of coarse unless they lose. In which case no ESPN no GUBOard and No- Rewatch.

Exactly what I do :)

gozagswoohoo
12-18-2014, 08:30 AM

:-)

As to my answer for the original question- I only watch games once, but I'll often make a note in my iPhone of big plays, beautiful passes, nice dunks (and the exact time they occurred), and then I may go back and re-watch those at random times. I rarely re-watch full games though.

I DO have a handful of 'big' games on DVD though. I've rewatched those before, most notably the 3OT game in Maui. Thanks to my good buddy EZCure for making all those dvd copies for me.