PDA

View Full Version : Can this team run the WCC table?

BULLDOG#1
12-17-2014, 11:09 AM
Until recently, I would have said no...

But the combination of the following has got me wondering:

1. the zags playing very well away from the kennel
2. Dons looking not so tough at home
3. Gaels looking not so tough at home
4. Haws being less than 100% when the zags come to provo

Maybe this team can run the table....

CDC84
12-17-2014, 11:11 AM
The hardest place to play in the WCC for the Zags is the Leavey Center at Santa Clara. Doesn't matter how good the Broncos are, the games are almost always close. Remember, the 2013/14 team barely got out of that joint with a win.

Running the table is certainly possible if the team stays healthy. I wouldn't predict it. They are going to be really hard to beat once McClellan hops on board and Perkins returns.

MDABE80
12-17-2014, 11:23 AM
Nobody wants egg on their face but this team can run the table barring injuries or some unforseen problem. Pangos and Bell score when they need to but they do feed very well. Wesley is his own show....grabbing rebounds, defending and doing some nice soring. This is the wing we've always needed despite being a wee bit undersized.

There will be those nights though when one of our fair brethern get hot and our kids can't find the side of a barn...........and then come the unpredictable refs. Do we have the talent? yes. Things do happen though......
It's good to remember GU has a target on our back every night. We, in general, are the game of the year.

LongIslandZagFan
12-17-2014, 11:34 AM
They can... but they probably won't.

gonzagafan62
12-17-2014, 11:34 AM
The hardest place to play in the WCC for the Zags is the Leavey Center at Santa Clara. Doesn't matter how good the Broncos are, the games are almost always close. Remember, the 2013/14 team barely got out of that joint with a win.

Running the table is certainly possible if the team stays healthy. I wouldn't predict it. They are going to be really hard to beat once McClellan hops on board and Perkins returns.

Very true. Going to be tough to win at USF too though. Same thing applies. The 2012-13 team barely escaped USF. I expect to win @Portland and @BYU for revenge this year. Its the other ones im concerned about.... @USD will still be tough... even though that's a revenge game too.

WBM
12-17-2014, 11:45 AM
I'm actually very curious to see what KenPom has us at for a chance to go undefeated in conference. I forget who was sharing that information before, but I'd love to see it again.

RenoZag
12-17-2014, 11:51 AM
I'm actually very curious to see what KenPom has us at for a chance to go undefeated in conference. I forget who was sharing that information before, but I'd love to see it again.

Try the thread with the December W-L record poll. . .I think ZagNative posted a chart from KenPom on that. . .

I think UP will be very tough

stevet75
12-17-2014, 11:54 AM
They can, and I think they will. I just hope they get the crap scared out of them a few times.

GU69
12-17-2014, 11:55 AM
KenPom projects the Zags at 16-2 for the conference (although projected to win each individual game), with an 8.9% chance of an unbeaten record.

bartruff1
12-17-2014, 12:00 PM
They can, and I think they will. I just hope they get the crap scared out of them a few times.

So do I, and most importantly , so do the coaches....to focus the mind..... I don't think it is very complicated........ defense and depth.... travel.... I will be surprised if they lose a game for the rest of the season.

USF
12-17-2014, 12:05 PM
USF beat Gonzaga three years in a row at War Memorial. 2010, 2011 and 2012. When did Gonzaga last lose in Santa Clara?

Hoopaholic
12-17-2014, 12:09 PM
They can and they should barring injury

Zagdawg
12-17-2014, 12:10 PM
We just need to foul usf --- and we win the game with our bench players-- cause you know they can't make free throws.

We've beat usf by 16 pts on average the last 4 games we've played -- and this team is on pace to beat usf by at least that again this year (based upon how the Zags are playing and how usf is playing).

WBM
12-17-2014, 12:28 PM
KenPom projects the Zags at 16-2 for the conference (although projected to win each individual game), with an 8.9% chance of an unbeaten record.

It'll be interesting to see what that % chance jumps up to after (if) we beat BYU in Provo. Five games ago (before SE Louisiana) we had a 3.6% chance, according to the chart ZagNative shared.

TravelinZag
12-17-2014, 12:31 PM
Once past Provo, should win them all, rate the chances at better than 50/50. Injuries/illness a factor? Sure, but I remember the team's effort last January during and injury/illness period that left them without enough players for a full scrimmage in practice. This year's team has so much depth, that the flu just provides more playing time and different lineups playing together. Such a luxury.

USF
12-17-2014, 12:48 PM
One poster said how hard it was to play at Santa Clara. When, in fact, USF has been a much tougher opponent than Santa Clara has in the last 3-4 years.

former1dog
12-17-2014, 12:55 PM
Gonzaga has run the WCC table four times in the Few Era. Considering the depth, experience and overall skill level of this team, I honestly would be surprised if this team DID NOT make this year the fifth run of the table for Mark Few.

gonzagafan62
12-17-2014, 12:56 PM
One poster said how hard it was to play at Santa Clara. When, in fact, USF has been a much tougher opponent than Santa Clara has in the last 3-4 years.

We haven't denied that.

DixieZag
12-17-2014, 01:00 PM
Gonzaga has run the WCC table four times in the Few Era. Considering the depth, experience and overall skill level of this team, I honestly would be surprised if this team DID NOT make this year the fifth run of the table for Mark Few.

If they get by the game @ BYU. I think I agree with you.

Although, if I had to pick another possible loss in league, I'd say it is most likely going to happen at San Diego.

Perhaps that would be a fun sub-element to this thread. If someone asked you the most likely conference game to lose, it would be.....

gonzagafan62
12-17-2014, 01:05 PM

Although, if I had to pick another possible loss in league, I'd say it is most likely going to happen at San Diego.

Perhaps that would be a fun sub-element to this thread. If someone asked you the most likely conference game to lose, it would be.....

@USD or @USF.... Attanga is out for Santa Clara so that makes a huge difference in my opinion.

kitzbuel
12-17-2014, 01:07 PM
USF beat Gonzaga three years in a row at War Memorial. 2010, 2011 and 2012. When did Gonzaga last lose in Santa Clara?

USF is on the verge of becoming debilitatingly discouraged. They have managed to turn the Portland St game into a big game for them. If they don't win they could go on a long slide.

former1dog
12-17-2014, 01:08 PM

Gonzaga is very good this year. Its going to take a bad game by our team combined with a good game by our opponent.

Most likely is a loss at St. Mary's this season, but I doubt it.

sittingon50
12-17-2014, 01:20 PM
ewe ess eff is tough. I think it's because Rex wears a tie.

OZZY
12-17-2014, 01:47 PM
Yes we have the talent, yes we have the potential.

But we will be getting every teams best shot every conference game (especially on the road) , every opponents gym will be filled with fans baying for blood (and in Provo some trying to draw it!)

just kidding...

It would be every other teams best win of the year. RB has been planning for this game since the last one.......

TheGonzagaFactor
12-17-2014, 01:52 PM
Of course they can. I'd give it a 70% chance of actually happening. There will be close games for sure, but if this team is as good as many think, they should run the table. The perennially bad WCC is down this year. I'd say any loss besides @ BYU would tarnish this team's legacy heavily if they don't make the E8.

TheGonzagaFactor
12-17-2014, 01:53 PM
Gonzaga is very good this year. Its going to take a bad game by our team combined with a good game by our opponent.

Most likely is a loss at St. Mary's this season, but I doubt it.

I don't think that'll happen with how we've embarrassed them on that floor the last two years, and I think 5 of the last 6 down there. What a rivalry. :lmao:

CDC84
12-17-2014, 02:30 PM

There are a number of ways you can look at it.....

Since 2001/02, the SCU/GU games at Leavey have been decided by a margin of 8.3 PPG. Since 2007/08, the margin has been 6.3. Unlike USF, GU has never managed to beat SCU by more than 16 points (2003/04 season) since 2001/02.

Since 2001/02, the USF/GU games at War Memorial have been decided by a margin of 9.5 PPG.

So if you factor in that USF won 4 of the matchups between 2001/02 and 2013/14, and SCU just one, perhaps you are right.

However, I have been to both venues for Gonzaga games several times over the past 15 years, and my subjective observation is that Leavey is a much, much tougher place to play at for Gonzaga in terms of the crowd and student noise. Other Zag fans I know would agree 100%. Secondly, the USF teams that beat Gonzaga in recent times were just tough matchups for them as a team, regardless of the venue. Those Dons teams didn't exactly come up to Spokane and get run out of the building. Whereas in 2012/13, for example, when GU won by 7 at SCU, they beat the Broncos by 43 at the Kennel. The games at Leavey worry me the most because SCU doesn't even need to have a good team to make the game competitive. The crowd and student section elevates them to new heights. It's a shame that the Ruff Riders don't show the same support when other WCC teams come to town.

I don't want to sound as I am selling USF short. But Leavey puts the fear in me more than any WCC venue. At least since turn of the century.

Robzagnut
12-17-2014, 02:44 PM
Easily. And I fully expect it to happen.

There is a potential #1 seed on the line. This team is too talented and too deep not to run the WCC table.

My greatest wish is for GU to play Kentucky somewhere within the Final Four. At the first break Coach Cal brings outs his vaunted 'B Squad' of 5 new players to intimidate the Zags like he does all the other teams, but Coach Few counters with his own B squad of Sabonis, Perkins, Nunez, Dranginis and McClellan to show Cal we're just as talented and just as deep, and WILL NOT be intimidated by anyone! And the GU B squad goes out and outplays the KU B squad.

That is all I want for Xmas.

Mantua
12-17-2014, 03:43 PM
My definition of a successful season always includes winning games in the Bay Area.

We should be able to sweep the WCC, but crazy things have happened.

I don't want to see a loss in conference play, on the other hand, it won't be the end of the world...unless we lose a WCC tournament game.

gonzagafan62
12-17-2014, 03:50 PM
I don't think that'll happen with how we've embarrassed them on that floor the last two years, and I think 5 of the last 6 down there. What a rivalry. :lmao:

There is almost 0% we lose to smc at all. Gonzaga gets up for those games. We won't lose. I save about 10% just because the game starts 0-0

Reborn
12-17-2014, 05:33 PM
The best Zag teams do go undefeated in conference play. Let's see if this is one of the all-time best Gonzaga men's basketball teams. I think they are; so then my answer is yes, of course they can.

Go Zags!!!
One at a time!

RenoZag
12-17-2014, 05:59 PM
If only running the table in the WCC would translate to Big Dance success. . .Zags have swept the league four times:

03-04: Lost in 2nd Rd to NV
05-06: Lost in S16 to UCLA
08-09: Lost in S16 to UNC
12-13: Lost in 2nd Rd to Wichita State

Maybe this year they sweep the conference AND make the Elite 8 or better ??

Beat Cal Poly !

Reborn
12-17-2014, 08:26 PM
Way to knock over my glass of Kool-Aid, Reno Zag

Go Zags!!!

spike_jr
12-17-2014, 08:41 PM
What about @ Pepperdine on 1/15? They have gotten out of the gate pretty good this year and are 5-0 at home. It seems they have been very competitive in both of their losses. We will not have Perkins yet and McClellan will be just getting back. Maybe someone to keep an eye on.

hondo
12-17-2014, 08:52 PM
It will take the perfect storm to beat the Zags this year but the storm clouds are already forming.

We likely will see nights on the road where the refs are outrageous, the other team can't miss and nothing is falling for us. It happens.

dadair
12-17-2014, 09:07 PM
Easily. And I fully expect it to happen.

There is a potential #1 seed on the line. This team is too talented and too deep not to run the WCC table.

My greatest wish is for GU to play Kentucky somewhere within the Final Four. At the first break Coach Cal brings outs his vaunted 'B Squad' of 5 new players to intimidate the Zags like he does all the other teams, but Coach Few counters with his own B squad of Sabonis, Perkins, Nunez, Dranginis and McClellan to show Cal we're just as talented and just as deep, and WILL NOT be intimidated by anyone! And the GU B squad goes out and outplays the KU B squad.

That is all I want for Xmas.

Wouldn't that be sweet? ;) I agree, BTW; despite the hand-wringing on the board over the AZ loss, this team proved in that game that a) AZ is overrated, or b) they can play with the best.

ZagaZags
12-17-2014, 09:39 PM
Frank Jackson Decommits from BYU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4Ceh-k9ars&feature=player_embedded

4 star guard Frank Jackson has decommitted from BYU, and will open up his recruitment.

The 6-foot-3 combo guard from Lone Peak will still reportedly consider BYU along with UCLA, Duke, Arizona, Arizona State and Stanford, per The Salt Lake Tribune.

According to Scout.comís Evan Daniels, Jackson will take a visit to Arizona.

Jackson had offers from Arizona State, Utah and BYU when he committed originally.http://zagsblog.com/articles/frank-jackson-decommits-from-byu/

Zagger
12-18-2014, 12:32 AM
Zags winning out in WCC play? .... Well, it is college basketball afterall. The lesser team beating the 'team to beat' is what can and does create a fan. I'd say it is certain that the Zags win all home games. They are too good, too deep and the Kennel's student section will be awesome. Away games ... depth and good defense should prevail against WCC foes - even riled up ones. Zags have the depth (and certainly the O). If the Zags should lose on the road in the WCC it'll be due to a combination of lax D and a hot home team in a high scoring game. I don't think that will happen but I give it a chance.

jazzdelmar
12-18-2014, 04:01 AM
Frank Jackson Decommits from BYU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4Ceh-k9ars&feature=player_embedded

http://zagsblog.com/articles/frank-jackson-decommits-from-byu/

Big boys came knocking.....hope he stays w BYU......kinda Melson-like....what kind of comp is that? :(

Reborn
12-18-2014, 05:01 AM
I think the WCC is better overall this year. However, St Mary's really does not appear to be one of those teams who is better. And I really don't see BYU as any better this year then last year. And in one way they are not as good. They do not have the center that they had last year. Our strength is our post players, and so far I'd say that if a team doesn't have good post players that they don't stand a chance against GU. I think the other thing that a team will need if they have hopes of beating Gonzaga will need is a good point guard. St Mary's definitely lacks one, and imo that is their main problem, and BYU takes one of the best three's in the conference and makes him a point-guard. IMO that hurt BYU.

Gonzaga has had a terrific out of conference schedule this year, and those road games that they've played will really help us when it comes to conference play. IMO, St. John's, Georgia, Arizona and UCLA are better then all of the teams in the WCC and playing those teams will certainly help the Zags when it comes to conference play. Of course there are going to be some nail biters, probably beginning with @ BYU. There are gymnasiums that are difficult to win in and the Zags will certainly be challenged a lot this year because there are good teams like Pepperdine, Portland, St Mary's and BYU. Playing @ Santa Clara and @ USF are difficult places to win, but I believe that this year those two teams are down. I feel that the argument for going undefeated in conference play is stronger then the one that says they will lose a game or two. Gonzaga has the team this year who will do it.

Go Zags!!!
One game at a time!

gonzagafan62
12-18-2014, 06:17 AM
If only running the table in the WCC would translate to Big Dance success. . .Zags have swept the league four times:

03-04: Lost in 1st Rd to NV

Beat Cal Poly !

Fixed it. We did not lose In the second round to UNC. UNC Beat LSU while we beat WKU. IN other words, if we sweep league, we have a 50% chance to go to the S16

RenoZag
12-18-2014, 06:27 AM
Fixed it. We did not lose In the second round to UNC. UNC Beat LSU while we beat WKU. IN other words, if we sweep league, we have a 50% chance to go to the S16

Thanks for pointing that out, '62. . .

gozagswoohoo
12-18-2014, 06:40 AM
I was there in '09 for that loss to UNC. I would appreciate it if you guys would STOP BRINGING IT UP.

TheGonzagaFactor
12-18-2014, 06:54 AM

03-04: Lost in 1st Rd to NV

Beat Cal Poly !

Nevada was second round, correct?

RenoZag
12-18-2014, 07:03 AM
yup. . .man, I need more coffee. . .thanks for the correction, 'Factor

gonzagafan62
12-18-2014, 07:06 AM
yup. . .man, I need more coffee. . .thanks for the correction, 'Factor

So what you are now saying (shoot I should have know that, I remember that Nevada loss... that was so pathetic....Turiaf got a raw deal) ... ANYWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! 100% chance to win our first game? Ill take that.

zag67
12-18-2014, 07:32 AM
So, I also believe we should win all of our WCC games. I would say to lose that we have to play mediocre or worse. They have to play great. And I think that the refs will take us out of our game and have players like Pangos with 2 fouls quickly. So I say 90% chance of going undefeated through league and the WCC tournament.