PDA

View Full Version : Other Games- 12.16.2014 / Dickie V Props for the Zags

RenoZag
12-16-2014, 05:38 PM
Watching Alabama take on the Shockers on ESPN2. Dickie V calling the game. . .in commenting on a graphic showing the current Top Ten, Vitale had nice things to say about the Zags and singled out Sabonis as being "very, very special."

Shockers 19
'Bama 14

5:00 to play in 1stH

Stache
12-16-2014, 05:39 PM
Vitale calling Wichita St game. Said GU is better than 8th and has a great team. Mentioned Sabonis as a big time player. Likes senior backcourt. Said KW changed his body and elevated his game. Repeated that Zags had lead at Arizona and took game into OT while on the road. " I really like that team." Can't hurt recruiting to hear that on another national game. Keep up the marketing.

DixieZag
12-16-2014, 06:04 PM
I love Dickie V as a person,

But I'll bet he has 16 teams that are better than 8th.

I do think he does mean it with us, but, just saying.

Thanks for the posts guys, that is cool.

RenoZag
12-16-2014, 06:10 PM
Alabama is hanging with the Shockers at Koch Brothers Arena . . .Baker & VanVleet struggling a bit.

RenoZag
12-16-2014, 06:12 PM
Oklahoma beat Oral Roberts ( Spangler had 13/10)

Oklahoma State looking to go 9-1, up by 20 over Middle Tenn St

Northern Arizona 12, St. Mary's 9. . .6 minutes in to the 1st half

kyle dixon
12-16-2014, 06:49 PM
St Mary's has food poisoning. Game should have been postponed. do you believe in miracles?

RenoZag
12-16-2014, 06:51 PM
The Bama - Wich St game is really good drama, under 4 min to play

NAU up by 9 at the half over the Gaels

RenoZag
12-16-2014, 06:52 PM
St Mary's has food poisoning. Game should have been postponed. do you believe in miracles?

Bad buffet ?

RenoZag
12-16-2014, 06:59 PM
Bama coughing up a hairball. . .tie game on a 11-0 WSU run.

seacatfan
12-16-2014, 07:07 PM
Arizona scored 101 points tonight, hammered Oakland, MI. Could've been a lot worse, too. Missed a bunch of FT's and bunnies, and went deep into the bench. Not bad for a team that struggles to score.

CDC84
12-16-2014, 07:08 PM
You talk about an epic meltdown from Alabama. They acted as if they had never seen a full court press before. Their team desperately needs to work on press breakers.

Anthony Grant's days are numbered with the Crimson Tide. Perhaps another example of a great assistant coach who can't hack it as a head coach.

RenoZag
12-16-2014, 07:12 PM
You talk about an epic meltdown from Alabama. They acted as if they had never seen a full court press before. Their team desperately needs to work on press breakers.

Anthony Grant's days are numbered with the Crimson Tide. Perhaps another example of a great assistant coach who can't hack it as a head coach.

Grant had burned all of his time outs too. . .

Shockers survive a close call at home

seacatfan
12-16-2014, 07:18 PM
Grant was doing well at VCU before he went to 'Bama. Maybe it's not so much that he's not a legit head coach, just not in the right place. It's not like you can't win there. Wimp Sanderson was successful for years and Gottfried did okay there as well. But basketball is an afterthought at most SEC schools. Agree though, probably about time for the Tide to try something else. Maybe Grant can have a bounce back at another mid major school.

CDC84
12-16-2014, 07:59 PM
Unreal ending to the SMC/NAU game. SMC up two with 18 seconds. NAU guard scores over Bright to tie it, and then NAU steals the inbounds pass and scores for the game winner.

kyle dixon
12-16-2014, 08:03 PM
Food poisoning. Tainted....

RenoZag
12-16-2014, 08:21 PM
Unreal ending to the SMC/NAU game. SMC up two with 18 seconds. NAU guard scores over Bright to tie it, and then NAU steals the inbounds pass and scores for the game winner.

That will be an RPI hit

Reborn
12-16-2014, 08:33 PM
That will be an RPI hit

Yep! It will be a big RPI hit, just as San Francisco's lost last night was a HUGE hit. Gonzaga went from 5th to 10th after San Francisco's loss. And we wonder why the WCC has so little respect. I sure wish Gonzaga would get the heck out of this conference. That's already two losses at home for this team. I saw the Boise St. game and they looked really bad in that game, and this one sounds worse. I followed the score and it looked like they had turned the game around in the second half. I actually felt they had the game in hand, so I stopped watching it.

RenoZag
12-16-2014, 08:45 PM
Just underscores the importance of taking them one game at a time. Gaels were 15 point favorites.

Beat Cal Poly !

zagzilla
12-16-2014, 09:04 PM
According to realtimerpi.com, N Arizona is #302. Ouch.

SMC was #57 before this loss

A poster on the Gael board says the post game meal at Creighton Saturday poisoned a number of players. Maybe that's what the Bluejays do if you beat them on their floor.

SMC travels to NYC to play St. John's Friday. Will be interesting to see how well they play a common opponent with GU as a barometer of relative strength. The Gaels are playing them at Carenesecca Arena in Jamaica, NY not MSG.

Who do we root for?

ZZ

caduceus
12-16-2014, 10:00 PM
Yep! It will be a big RPI hit, just as San Francisco's lost last night was a HUGE hit. Gonzaga went from 5th to 10th after San Francisco's loss.

Gonzaga's RPI dropped because we played a bottom feeder with a record of 1-8 (which dropped our SOS). The RPI doesn't consider teams you haven't played yet, (like USF) -- only our past opponents and our past opponent's (past) opponents.

Tongue twister! :)

sittingon50
12-16-2014, 10:09 PM
EWU gets smoked by Sam Houston. What the.....

seacatfan
12-16-2014, 10:15 PM
EWU gets smoked by Sam Houston. What the.....

I just saw that. Gotta be a hangover after the disappointment of leading the Huskies the whole way, but seeing it slip away at the end on Sunday.

CDC84
12-16-2014, 11:20 PM
Again, conference play has to kick in for the RPI to mean anything of substance. If you talk to Jerry Palm, Joe Lunardi....any of these analysts....they will tell you the same thing. I know some people who refuse to look at it until as late as mid-February.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2011-03-08/rpi-makes-sense-of-it-all-in-college-hoops

What makes the RPI misunderstood is one of its strongest features. Unlike the Sagarin and Pomeroy systems, all teams start the season at 0 in the RPI. Everybody is equal when the first game is played. Because of this, it takes a long while for the numbers to gain context. Thus, the RPI is relatively useless as a rating system earlier in the season. People who follow the RPI on the various sites that do daily updates, such as Jerry Palm’s CollegeRPI.com, often are puzzled by what they see.

Consider it to be similar to looking at a painting. If you were around to see the Mona Lisa before Leonardo even started to rough in her smile, you might have wondered if anyone ever would want to see the picture. As he completed the final brushstrokes, you’d have seen the masterpiece that now hangs in the Louvre.

RenoZag
12-17-2014, 05:13 AM
SMC travels to NYC to play St. John's Friday. Will be interesting to see how well they play a common opponent with GU as a barometer of relative strength. The Gaels are playing them at Carnesecca Arena in Jamaica, NY not MSG.

Who do we root for?

ZZ

I'll root for the Red Storm. Come March when the selection committee is evaluating the Zags' "body of work," the win over St. John's should carry more weight than wins vs. WCC opponents, including the Gaels.

In the meantime, Gonzaga needs to take care of business, unlike the Dons and the Gaels, versus their next opponent.

Beat Cal Poly !

gonzagafan62
12-17-2014, 07:31 AM
Yep! It will be a big RPI hit, just as San Francisco's lost last night was a HUGE hit. Gonzaga went from 5th to 10th after San Francisco's loss. And we wonder why the WCC has so little respect. I sure wish Gonzaga would get the heck out of this conference. That's already two losses at home for this team. I saw the Boise St. game and they looked really bad in that game, and this one sounds worse. I followed the score and it looked like they had turned the game around in the second half. I actually felt they had the game in hand, so I stopped watching it.

Nope. I don't want out of this conference at all. If it weren't for this conference, we wouldn't have gone to the tournament (more than likely) in 2011 or 2012 or even last year.... I like having a chance in March on our "off years"....

Not saying we don't have a shot to beat quality teams in those years, but I have a hard time thinking that we could legitly compete year after year with them ..

gonzagafan62
12-17-2014, 07:32 AM
I'll root for the Red Storm. Come March when the selection committee is evaluating the Zags' "body of work," the win over St. John's should carry more weight than wins vs. WCC opponents, including the Gaels.

In the meantime, Gonzaga needs to take care of business, unlike the Dons and the Gaels, versus their next opponent.

Beat Cal Poly !

Yup. Usually I would say root for the conference, but SMC just screwed it up for themselves. St. John's we already beat, and they are ranked. Go Redmen/Red Storm, whatever they are ...

TheGonzagaFactor
12-17-2014, 07:48 AM
I just saw that. Gotta be a hangover after the disappointment of leading the Huskies the whole way, but seeing it slip away at the end on Sunday.

That along with playing games in Seattle and Texas in less than a 48 hour span.