PDA

View Full Version : free throw shooting

zag buddy
12-16-2014, 02:19 PM
I have shot a lot of free throws in my life, probably like many others here, and I have been quite good at it. The one major key to me is to see your hand go thru the net on release just like the ball would. Equally important is that when you are practiciing you do not think but concentrate on the feel of making a free throw. It is a entire body feeling for me. It may seem strange but as I write this I can feel making a free throw shot . I believe that most really good shooters can feel the shot from where ever they are shooting it from. For me it takes a total mind focus on the rim and the feeling of making the shot.

DixieZag
12-16-2014, 02:30 PM
That's why it is so weird that Shem shoots at a low percentage (though not so much the last 2), b/c he has a near ideal form. It's not Shaq where someone worries that glass chips will hit their cheek.

Incidentally, in the last Few Show, he was talking about how they told Kyle the same thing, phrasing it, "Owning the shot" meaning get his feet totally set and then following it through all the way. Whatever they did it seems to work.

zag buddy
12-16-2014, 02:37 PM
What I don't know is that if you are 7 feet tall, your hand still goes thru the net on the release. maybe it goes thru the top of the back board. Maybe you see the finger tips going thru the rim on the follow thru. Any time there is pressure you get away from feeling and start thinking and that is a killer for a shooter. This is what players mean when they say they are "in the zone" Total feeling with expectations of making it. An analogy would be dancing. You do not think of every little move you make, you just feel it and flow. Speaking of Big K, whoever is helping him ought to get on a latter so they stand 7'1" and can see what he is looking at from his perspective.

zag buddy
12-16-2014, 03:16 PM
I just looked up on the internet for the free throw record. It is held by Ted St martin who made 2036 without a miss. The interesting thing is he shoots a two handed push shot.
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=world+free+throw+shooting+record&FORM=VIRE2#view=detail&mid=5C6DD2758546A9B1078D5C6DD2758546A9B10

zag buddy
12-16-2014, 03:43 PM
I am having fun with my almost exclusive post but I was thinking (I'm a thinker) that in sports as with life it is harder to function with stress than without stress. Stress is caused by being to mental and not in touch with your body. The only way we can relate to the world and the basketball hoop is thru our 5 senses. So to quit stress and be fully calm all you need to do is the following: ask yourself 1. what do I see (in my field of vision) 2. what do I hear 3. what do I smell 4 what do I taste 5 what do I feel. This takes 5 seconds if you practice and then you are totally in touch with yourself and relaxed and can make the shot.You may not believe this but I haven't had a drink in 30+ years.

CDC84
12-16-2014, 04:39 PM
If I am not mistaken, Shem has hit 3 out of his last 4.

zag buddy
12-16-2014, 04:50 PM
Getting better. I am really pulling for him to improve like the rest of his game.

El Zag
12-16-2014, 09:03 PM
Dr. Tom Amberry made 2,750 free throws without a miss at the age of 71 years. It took 12 hours . He never did miss that day but they closed the gym . A free throw is a gift . It is a chance to shoot with no one in your face . If you make it , your team has a better chance to win and they donít have to rebound.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9HQI4lraWs&index=1&list=PLFB93076892410128

maynard g krebs
12-16-2014, 10:49 PM
If I am not mistaken, Shem has hit 3 out of his last 4.

And 5 of his last 7.

Hoopaholic
12-17-2014, 06:15 AM
Dr. Tom Amberry made 2,750 free throws without a miss at the age of 71 years. It took 12 hours . He never did miss that day but they closed the gym . A free throw is a gift . It is a chance to shoot with no one in your face . If you make it , your team has a better chance to win and they donít have to rebound.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9HQI4lraWs&index=1&list=PLFB93076892410128

Got accused of torture, child abuse etc when my son was a freshman starter on high school team he had 2 free throws to win game with 3 seconds left he missed both.....every practice or gym time the last thing he had to do for 3 years was hit consecutive free throws spelling out the rival schools names

Free throws free throws free throws. More than 50% of games are impacted at one point or another by free throws yet they go ignored in terms of practice, stress and pressure

cjm720
12-17-2014, 08:00 AM
I am having fun with my almost exclusive post but I was thinking (I'm a thinker) that in sports as with life it is harder to function with stress than without stress. Stress is caused by being to mental and not in touch with your body. The only way we can relate to the world and the basketball hoop is thru our 5 senses. So to quit stress and be fully calm all you need to do is the following: ask yourself 1. what do I see (in my field of vision) 2. what do I hear 3. what do I smell 4 what do I taste 5 what do I feel. This takes 5 seconds if you practice and then you are totally in touch with yourself and relaxed and can make the shot.You may not believe this but I haven't had a drink in 30+ years.

studies have shown that we perform more optimally with some stress...besides the point but stress can be a good thing.

zag buddy
12-17-2014, 11:39 AM
cjm, I agree, but what I don't know and maybe you do is if adrenalin can provide what others might call stress. I mean you have to be in the game not laid back but whether you can use adrenalin instead of stress would be my question. Competition and the "will to win" will definitely get the adrenalin flowing. To me in this situation stress would be caused by a fear of loss, while adrenal could be produced by the will to win. Just my thoughts no studies to back it up, but the big difference is one is positive "the will to win" and the other is negative "a fear of loss".