PDA

View Full Version : KW: National Player of the Week

Angelo Roncalli
12-16-2014, 02:09 PM
ST. LOUIS (USBWA) – The U.S. Basketball Writers Association has selected the Gonzaga forward Kyle Wiltjer as its Oscar Robertson National Player of the Week for games ending the week of Sunday, Dec. 14. The USBWA's weekly honor is presented by Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook.
Wiltjer

As the West Coast Conference Player of the Week, Wiltjer was nominated for the weekly award, which was chosen by a representative of the USBWA board of directors from a list of Division I conference players of the week. This is the sixth season that the USBWA has selected a national player of the week.

Wiltjer, a 6-10 junior from Portland, Ore., registered back-to-back 20-point games in a pair of wins over Pac-12 opponents. Last Wednesday, Wiltjer was 9-of-14 from the field and scored 21 points in an 81-66 win over Washington State. Then on Saturday, Wiltjer led the Zags to an 87-74 win at UCLA with a team-high 24 points on 9-of-13 shooting.

Overall in the two games, he was 18-for-27 (.667) from the field, 5-for-7 (.714) from behind the arc, and a perfect 4-for-4 from the free throw line. Against WSU he also had six rebounds, four assists, a block and a steal. Then at UCLA, he had four rebounds, an assist and a steal.

http://www.sportswriters.net/usbwa/news/2015/oscar141216.html

rennis
12-16-2014, 02:16 PM
rad! congrats KW!!

sittingon50
12-16-2014, 02:24 PM
:clap:

Zagdawg
12-16-2014, 02:32 PM
Congrats!

Martin Centre Mad Man
12-16-2014, 02:39 PM
But can beat Haws for WCC POY?

gonzagafan62
12-16-2014, 02:47 PM
But can beat Haws for WCC POY?

He has a realistic chance especially if haws isn't 100% for too long.

jazzdelmar
12-16-2014, 02:59 PM
Who was the last Zag? Would think KO.

Reborn
12-16-2014, 03:03 PM
Congrats to Kyle. You deserved it. Keep it up, MR Zag!!!

Go Zags!!!

KStyles
12-16-2014, 03:20 PM
Who was the last Zag? Would think KO.

Looks like Wiltjer is the first GU player in the 6 years they've given the Oscar Robertson National Player of the Week award.

Morrison & Redick shared the Oscar Robertson POY award after the 2005-2006 season.

http://sportswriters.net/usbwa/awards/oscar/index.html

ZagsGoZags
12-16-2014, 03:38 PM
I am surprised KO or Ammo never received this award for a one week period of time.

SteelZag
12-16-2014, 03:54 PM
I am surprised KO or Ammo never received this award for a one week period of time.

According to KStyles who is right pretty much 100% of the time, this is only the 6th year they have awarded the weekly honor.

KUDOS FOR KYLE

zag buddy
12-16-2014, 04:54 PM
What is totally amazing is he has done this while being an exemplary teammate. Not trying to be a one man show. Accomplished this within the flow of the game. Keep it up Kyle and good luck.

Zagger
12-16-2014, 06:35 PM
:agreed: Go Kyle! Congrats!

Ekrub
12-16-2014, 07:24 PM
According to KStyles who is right pretty much 100% of the time, this is only the 6th year they have awarded the weekly honor.

KUDOS FOR KYLE

Olynyk would fall in that time period though

SteelZag
12-16-2014, 08:41 PM
Olynyk would fall in that time period though

How right you are. I guess I just paid attention to Ammo's name.

Upon further review of some of the winners, it appears GU was instrumental in Brandon Paul(Illinois) and Roosevelt Jones(Butler) winning the award the weeks we lost to them.

I agree KO had some pretty good weeks and was probably deserving of the award.

Reborn
12-16-2014, 09:52 PM
The amazing thing is how he plays a mere 25 minutes a night. And has had to sit during the last four minutes of games. And, as far as I could tell, he accepted it with love and grace. Does he have an ego at all? That would be just too much to ask of a basketball star. It's been so much fun to watch him get more and more comfortable out on the floor with his teammates. He made a huge step forward as a college player after the Arizona loss. He has made his statement about himself, and has shown the basketball world what he's capable of. He is a rising star in basketball, and I'm so glad he found a home at Gonzaga University. I said last summer that I expected him to be as good as Kelly Olynyk, and I took a lot of flack from people here on the BOARD. I've been waiting patiently, and in total belief that Kyle was going to show who he is. Again, I'm not saying that he's better then Kelly. I said as good as, but in a different way. They DO NOT play the same way, and are both extremely effective on the Offensive end. However, I would take Kyle over Kelly because, imo, he can do more....a better three point shooter for sure, and a much better passer. You may criticize his D but I do not. It's not his greatest strength, but I will say one thing, he gives it 100%, and plays that way most all of the time.

Keep it up, Kyle Wiltjer

Go Zags!!!

seacatfan
12-16-2014, 10:18 PM
The amazing thing is how he plays a mere 25 minutes a night. And has had to sit during the last four minutes of games. And, as far as I could tell, he accepted it with love and grace. Does he have an ego at all? That would be just too much to ask of a basketball star. It's been so much fun to watch him get more and more comfortable out on the floor with his teammates. He made a huge step forward as a college player after the Arizona loss. He has made his statement about himself, and has shown the basketball world what he's capable of. He is a rising star in basketball, and I'm so glad he found a home at Gonzaga University. I said last summer that I expected him to be as good as Kelly Olynyk, and I took a lot of flack from people here on the BOARD. I've been waiting patiently, and in total belief that Kyle was going to show who he is. Again, I'm not saying that he's better then Kelly. I said as good as, but in a different way. They DO NOT play the same way, and are both extremely effective on the Offensive end. However, I would take Kyle over Kelly because, imo, he can do more....a better three point shooter for sure, and a much better passer. You may criticize his D but I do not. It's not his greatest strength, but I will say one thing, he gives it 100%, and plays that way most all of the time.

Keep it up, Kyle Wiltjer

Go Zags!!!

I was skeptical about Wiltjer, but he has by far and away exceeded my expectations. He's playing great! I agree he's a very different player from Olynk. That's fine. He's fine being Wiltjer, doesn't need to try to be something else.

mgadfly
12-17-2014, 01:26 PM
Kyle is doing great and his offense is a key part of the success of this team. However, since Olynyk is one of my favorite Zags ever, I'm going to go ahead and defend him here:

Scoring: KO - top ten nationally in effective FG% and True Shot %.
KW: 138th and 178th.

Edge on scoring: Kelly by a wide margin.

Rebounding: KO 11.8 Offensive Rebounding %, 20.5% defensive rebounding%
KW: a pathetic 8.1/12.4 in the same categories.

Edge on rebounding: Kelly by an incredibly wide margin.

Passing: KO 15.1 Assist Rate
KW: 12.5 Assist Rate

Passing: Kelly by a decent margin

Ball Handling: KO 18.4 Turnover Rate
KW: 7.9 Turnover Rate

Handling: Kyle by a wide margin (he doesn't make too many mistakes with the ball, I love this about him)

Defense: KO: 5.1 block %, 1.6 steal %
KW: 3.2 block %, 1.2 steal%

Defense: KO by a wide margin (both statistically and through the eye test).

I am so glad we have Kyle and I'm hoping he breaks out for a great season and proves to be a beast on both ends. However, so far Kelly was a better scorer, rebounder, passer, and defender by fairly decent margins. Can I have Kelly at the 5 and Kyle at the 4? I'd definitely take that if it's an option.

sittingon50
12-17-2014, 02:56 PM
So E moves to the 3. Where have I heard that before?

;)