PDA

View Full Version : Observations from Pauley

sittingon50
12-14-2014, 01:53 PM
Sorry if I missed them (saw a quick one from Angelo) but would be interested in the thoughts of anyone that was in attendance last night. Thanks.

Outraged
12-14-2014, 04:42 PM
Pauley Pavillion is a nicer arena than i remember. Its a nice place to see a game. No hassles easy parking and entry. Fairly nice and subdued fans. But one thing did stand out that was not quite right. The floor was slick as ice. But it only seemed to affect us. A couple of the early turnovers were due to that slick floor. I think pangos asked Alford what he oiled the floor with....but I was out of earshot and cannot say. It may just be a little fresh from the flood. The again when I looked at their shoes they were all the same while ours were all mismatched. I think I even saw an old shcool converse allstar out there. Beside that and the inordinate amount of feet getting tangled I thought we played a controlled safe 80% and got done what needed to get done.

Bear with me you get a whole different perspective due to viewing angle and lack of replay but none-the-less here are my observations in no particular order.

1. Alford loves the last minute whether its the last minute of the half or the game. He takes that last minute and stretches and bends it until it becomes a two hour documentary. He just does not believe in a New York minute. A minute is clay in that mans hands. I mean really we need to go home.

2. Pangos was everywhere doing all those intangables in a paced controlled and delibarate maner. I will say that his quarterback ball tuck up the middle did not work as well this game.

3. Zag anxieties are starting to emerge in my thick skull. "OMG are we reverting back to a seven man rotation" "oh no is Nunez in the doghouse?"

4. Karnowski laying on the floor for three minutes was a little scary I was happy he was okay and was glad to see us carry on while he sat on the bench. He's a beast. He just needs to not hold that ball so long over his head.

5. For someone that does not flash the cash Kyle is pure money. Ditto for Sabonis.

6. Wesley is a game changer on both ends of the court.

7. Okay I hear all the accolades for Draginis and agree with most of it. However, he did have problems dribbling and passing the ball with their denfense. I think he needs to work on that one area.

8. I thought our denfense was okay but we are capable of a little more tenacity and could have dialed it up if we needed to.

I think this team has the psycological midset true skillsets to beat an Arizona, Duke or Wisconsin. I think the only thing that can stop them and their "A" game barring injuries etc. from reaching the final four is Kentucky. So between now and March we need to get Kentucky ready. Few will need to grow outside of his historical box this year to get that box checked. I think he can do it. Now these are some great expectations he can live up to.

Hoopaholic
12-14-2014, 04:47 PM
Pauley Pavillion is a nicer arena than i remember. Its a nice place to see a game. No hassles easy parking and entry. Fairly nice and subdued fans. But one thing did stand out that was not quite right. The floor was slick as ice but it only seemed to affect us. A couple of the early turnovers were due to the slick floor. Beside that and the inordinate amount of feet getting tangled I thought we played a controlled safe 80% and got done what needed to get done. I think pangos asked Alford what he oiled the floor with....but I was out of earshot and cannot say. It may just be a little fresh from the flood. The again when I looked at their shoes they were all the same while ours were all mismatched I think I even saw an old shcool converse allstar out there. Bear with me you get a whole different perspective due to viewing angle and lack of replay but none the less here are my observations in no particular order.

1. Alford loves the last minute whether its the last minute of the half or the game. He takes that last minute and stretches and bends it until it becomes a story in itself. He turns that last minute into a two hour documentary. He just does not believe in a New York minute. A minute is clay in that mans hands. I mean really we need to go home.

2. Pangos was everywhere doing all those intangables in a paced controlled and delibarate maner. I will say that his quarterback ball tuck up the middle did not work as well this game.

3. Zag anxieties are starting to emerge in my thick skull. "OMG are we reverting back to a seven man rotation" "oh no is Nunez in the doghouse?"

4. Karnowski laying on the floor for three minutes was a little scary I was happy he was okay and was glad to see us carry on while he sat on the bench. He's a beast. He just needs to not hold that ball so long over his head.

5. For someone that does not flash the cash Kyle is pure money. Ditto for Sabonis.

6. Wesley is a game changer on both ends of the court.

7. Okay I hear all the accolades for Draginis and agree with most of it. However he did have problems dribbling and passing the ball with their denfense. I think he needs to work on that one area.

8. I thought our denfense was okay but we are capable of a little more tenacity and could have dialed it up if we needed to.

I think this team has the psycological midset true skillsets to beat an Arizona, Duke or Wisconsin. I think the only thing that can stop them and their "A" game barring injuries etc. from reaching the final four is Kentucky. So between now and March we need to get Kentucky ready. Few will need to grow outside of his historical box this year to get that box checked. I think he can do it.

I was aligned with much of what you said until number 7.......he had 5 assists in the first half, so help me out how he had problems with passing?
Yes he had his pocket picked one time by not protecting the ball and had another turnover but the pass was soft......he has cut down drastically his turnovers from last year

Outraged
12-14-2014, 05:23 PM
I agree with you. I mean in a situation where he is on the perimeter with an elite level sticky defender he gets in trouble.

jazzdelmar
12-14-2014, 05:34 PM
KD was officially docked w three TOs but I counted at least four, most ball handling. But his dervish play on the O boards was Hart like.

SteelZag
12-14-2014, 06:49 PM
KD was officially docked w three TOs but I counted at least four, most ball handling. But his dervish play on the O boards was Hart like.

I thought I saw a fourth also, but his A/TO ratio is still the best on the team IIRC.

btzag
12-14-2014, 07:19 PM
I really enjoy watching Dranginis on the court, especially this year as he is more aggressive all around; on the boards, on offense and on defense. His size and athletic ability is pretty special and rarely seen at Gonzaga. In fact, I was trying think of another Zag on the wing who had it and could really only think of Wesley and Frahm. Such a difference maker off the bench.

Zagceo
12-14-2014, 07:36 PM
Very nice arena and fans.

I couldn't believe our difficulties inbounding the ball…needs work.

Late in the second half Few looked like he was yelling at Pangos but was really mad at the ref and working them for the physical play. Thats my guess because I got a picture but it was just after Few barked at Pangos but looked at the ref.

The floor could have been a problem with paint in the one area we kept slipping or it could be an Adidas court. I'd have insisted on inspecting the area. Thankful no one got hurt.

Bryce was quicker than any of our guards which surprised me. Kinda reminded me of Ravio with that quick release.

Saw Darren Daye talking to Tommy Lloyd after the game.

Byron Wesley is a stud and really nice guy.

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac342/ceo_500/Pangoes_Few_ref_zps64dcb96b.jpg

sittingon50
12-14-2014, 10:49 PM
Thanks to each for the firsthand.

siliconzag
12-15-2014, 07:29 AM
I don't have a lot to add. I think the Zags acquitted themselves very well. UCLA looks like has beens, and their fans more so. The crowd was beyond subdued, they were listless and lethargic. The student section was tiny in comparison to the olden days, and while the new Pauley is fancier than it's predecessor, more than the floor is too slick. It just doesn't have the same je ne sais quo of it's predecessor version. Hundreds, perhaps thousands of empty seats closer to the action than where most Zag fans were relegated to. I agree that the UCLA fans were polite. The Zag fans were likewise very restrained, and remarkably quiet. No audible organized cheers from a rather large contingent. Still, the outcome was great.

In terms of the game, I felt our offense looked occasionally awkward and flustered, but generally, a long range missle managed to rescue us from dry spells. Both Kyles played well. Our perimeter defense continues to emphasize prayer over footwork, and Bryce may well be UCLA's biggest offensive weapon for this year's Bruin team. The officiating was rather inconsistent. They began calling fouls in the second half that they didn't in the first. Finally, I wondered why Coach kept Kyle W on the bench so much of the second half. He can create his shot, both midrange and longrange, and during offensive runs from the opponent can interrupt their momentum. Still it was a worthy effort even if it wasn't an exciting game or atmosphere. BTW, did anyone else notice that UCLA uses the Big C (University of California Berkeley) fight song. They just changed the words. I find that rather pathetic.

jazzdelmar
12-15-2014, 07:41 AM
Sil, all CA state schools use same tune, I believe. I recall going to my first SDSU game and hearing what I thought was the Cal song.

Angelo Roncalli
12-15-2014, 11:10 AM
UCLA has an in-game promotion. If the visiting team misses two consecutive free throws, then the fans get a free yogurt. The purpose is to get the crowd to make noise and create a distraction when the visitors are at the line. There were a cluster of about 15 or so GU fans sitting around me in section 126. Whenever a Zag made a free throw, we would yell "No Yogurt!"

The south side of Pauley has an outdoor plaza and the doors to the plaza are open during the game. They had 3 or 4 food trucks parked out there and fans could go out and purchase food and bring it into the arena. I thought that was pretty cool.

gonzagafan62
12-15-2014, 11:12 AM
UCLA has an in-game promotion. If the visiting team misses two consecutive free throws, then the fans get a free yogurt. The purpose is to get the crowd to make noise and create a distraction when the visitors are at the line. There were a cluster of about 15 or so GU fans sitting around me in section 126. Whenever a Zag made a free throw, we would yell "No Yogurt!"

The south side of Pauley has an outdoor plaza and the doors to the plaza are open during the game. They had 3 or 4 food trucks parked out there and fans could go out and purchase food and bring it into the arena. I thought that was pretty cool.

That is completely awesome! And Karowski made both of his.... hahahahahaha... That had to be a great moment Angelo. Thanks for sharing!

AnonAzZagTemp
12-15-2014, 11:26 AM
I've noticed a LOT of players slipping this year in the Az Michigan game Bonheim seemed to complain to the refs and later it seems at games end he was commenting to Miller about it, the problem is, none of the Az guys were slipping...

I wonder of it's new finish on the courts all around and harder soles on shoes or something...it seems to me as much as the NCAA likes to micro manage college BB they would establish some across the board standards and testing for these things...I also notice rims seem to be spongy in some places, in Maui the soft rims even got mention a few times by the commentators...

There should be a renewed push for some kind of accountability here as well...

TravelinZag
12-15-2014, 11:46 AM
My first visit to Pauley, one of the few pantheons of college basketball. Visiting MSG and Pauley within a month was a real treat. UCLA fans were very welcoming, almost Spokane-nice. Floor definitely had problems, but believe it is a substitute for the one ruined by the flood; new floor takes considerable time to manufacture. Suspect PAC-12 will get 4-5 Dance tickets this year, and Bruins will be in the hunt along with Arizona, Utah, UW, and perhaps one or two others. Powell and Alford are terrific players, but Looney is spectacular -- very athletic, yet silky-smooth. He will be a treat for fans to watch in the Kennel next year, when the Bruins are likely to be a handful. Some interesting traditions, stunning and precise cheer and dance squads, a rousing all-brass band. Renovation captures the feel of a big-time arena. Some great tributes to John Wooden: the hallmark of a successful coach who believed he was also charged with the care and education of his players. Only a handful of current coaches follow in his enormous footsteps: a great coach and exemplar, an even better man. A very pleasurable evening in every respect.

Winning helped, too! Sure that there are a few teams that are 1-0 against UCLA in Pauley. Doubt there are many that are 2-0or better! Fine work, Zag men!

ZAG 4 LIFE
12-15-2014, 02:06 PM
LOOONNNNGGGGG TIME lurker... first post.
Full disclosure first... I was a member of the Zags Men's BB coaching staff for 2 years back in the 80's...
My first year was #12's magical senior season. I was the young guy on Jay Hillock's staff... a few of the older timers
here may remember me, but believe me I'm not offended if no one does.

I can shed some light on the slippery floor at Pauley Pavilion, as I also attended the game with my wife & son.
My daughter is a senior at UCLA, and also a Bruin cheerleader. She told me that the recent heavy rains in California
caused additional very minor flooding in Pauley a day or two before the Zags-Bruins game. Certainly nothing like the
thousands of gallons that flooded the venue when the water pipe burst under Sunset Blvd. back in the summer... but
enough moisture to be a nuisance. I'm sure the Pauley Pavilion Crew thought they had the floor game ready... but I would guess
that some residual moisture made its way to the surface even a couple of days later. It seemed to me the crew got it under control
eventually, as I do not recall the floor being an issue in the second half.

One more thing... I love this Fan Forum, and the passion all of you have for the Zags. I earned my Masters Degree here and coached here
30 years ago... it is hard to believe that many years have gone by. I can assure you that I have the same passion for the Zags,
and this incredible university, and I am so very proud of what Coach Few, his staff and his players have accomplished.
Now that I've broken the ice... perhaps I'll post occasionally, when I think I have something of value to add.
Posting a photo of my daughter with Coach Few taken before the game... very nice of him to take the time. Go Zags!

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/10616062_10152534170179205_8459974269642146940_n.j pg?oh=5a8a6120047029ac1bd9dc18b24e5847&oe=553D335D

ZagaZags
12-15-2014, 02:16 PM
LOOONNNNGGGGG TIME lurker... first post.
Full disclosure first... I was a member of the Zags Men's BB coaching staff for 2 years back in the 80's...
My first year was #12's magical senior season. I was the young guy on Jay Hillock's staff... a few of the older timers
here may remember me, but believe me I'm not offended if no one does.

I can shed some light on the slippery floor at Pauley Pavilion, as I also attended the game with my wife & son.
My daughter is a senior at UCLA, and also a Bruin cheerleader. She told me that the recent heavy rains in California
caused additional very minor flooding in Pauley a day or two before the Zags-Bruins game. Certainly nothing like the
thousands of gallons that flooded the venue when the water pipe burst under Sunset Blvd. back in the summer... but
enough moisture to be a nuisance. I'm sure the Pauley Pavilion Crew thought they had the floor game ready... but I would guess
that some residual moisture made its way to the surface even a couple of days later. It seemed to me the crew got it under control
eventually, as I do not recall the floor being an issue in the second half.

One more thing... I love this Fan Forum, and the passion all of you have for the Zags. I earned my Masters Degree here and coached here
30 years ago... it is hard to believe that many years have gone by. I can assure you that I have the same passion for the Zags,
and this incredible university, and I am so very proud of what Coach Few, his staff and his players have accomplished.
Now that I've broken the ice... perhaps I'll post occasionally, when I think I have something of value to add.
Posting a photo of my daughter with Coach Few taken before the game... very nice of him to take the time. Go Zags!

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/10616062_10152534170179205_8459974269642146940_n.j pg?oh=5a8a6120047029ac1bd9dc18b24e5847&oe=553D335D

Great pic!

cjm720
12-15-2014, 02:19 PM
Welcome Zag4life...great first post...great contribution and you have a lot to be proud of.

Keep posting!

sittingon50
12-15-2014, 02:34 PM
Certainly some serious nepotism goin' on if that young lady made the cheer squad!

:lmao:

sittingon50
12-15-2014, 11:09 PM
(typed that as I was on the way out the office for the game)

Zag 4 Life, have you attended a game at your alma mater recently? It's quite the deal. If not, next year's Bruin game up here has to be on your bucket list. Will be an absolute nuthouse.

And though your lovely daughter will have graduated, bring her along too if something like, say, a new job doesn't get in the way. She will love it.

ZAG 4 LIFE
12-15-2014, 11:41 PM
Yes 50... I have attended quite a few games in the MAC... I usually come up for a Thurs/Sat pair of WCC games each season, as the guest of a buddy who has season tix, and also worked in the GU athletic dept. during my 2 1/2 years on the coaching staff.
Danielle has attended a game, and actually experienced it sitting in the kennel... she loved it. Gonzaga was one of her possible college choices, before she decided to attend UCLA.
Last season, my son, Bryce was able to fly up from San Diego to join me for the BYU game... his first time seeing a game live in the MAC. He was so impressed with the Kennel and the way those students support their fellow students/team. Bryce played hoops for a D2 school, and his teams never had much support from the student body, so the GU students really warmed his heart with their support of the Zags.
This year... My wife gets her turn to see her first game in the MAC... we're coming up for the LMU and Pepperdine games in Feb. She saw games in Kennedy Pavilion/Martin Center when I was coaching... but experiencing a game in the MAC will really be fun for her.

sittingon50
12-15-2014, 11:51 PM
Thanks for the info. Great stories. Zags have the Bruins & Wildcats coming in next year. Those big games are incredibly electric.