PDA

View Full Version : Take care of business and let's see what happens

GoZags
12-14-2014, 07:48 AM
I'm reluctant to start a new thread post game, as there are more than enough out there. That being said ... I DO want to touch base on what I see is likely to happen moving forward.

At this point, Gonzaga is 9-1 and is ranked #9 and has played the nation's 10th most difficult schedule to date (per this morning's CBSSports)
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/rankings/rpi/index1

They've accomplished this while working 5 new guys into the rotation. They have a 6th "new guy" coming early next month.

The Zags "should" continue to gel, and "should" continue to win. Sure, some of the wins may not be as pretty as some of the fan base desires, but they "should" win.

IF the Zags take care of business ... IF the Zags "win out" ... and there's a very good chance that they will ... on March 28th they'll be 36-1 for their Staples Center "rematch" against the Arizona Wildcats. I'm not sure who'll be the #1 and who'll be the #2 seed ... but I'm hoping that this is the game that'll be played for the right to go to the Final Four.

Sure ... a lot has to happen for this to take place.

But I'm excited about the prospect of watching Domas Sabonis with another 20 - 25 college games under his belt. I'm excited about the prospect of seeing what Eric McLellan and Josh Perkins bring when they hit the floor in January (and/or early February). I'm excited to see how well Karnowski continues to improve ... either by scoring or passing out of the double team to a slashing teammate or to an open shooter. I'm excited to see how well Kyle Wiltjer continues to improve ... both outside and inside. I'm excited to see Byron Wesley continue to improve. I'm excited to see Silas Melson mature on both offense and defense.... as well as the continued efforts of Kyle Dranginis. I'm excited to see all of this led by a couple of guys who have been 4 year starters at the guard spots for Gonzaga.

The Zags need to take care of business.

I think they will and it's my belief that the future's so bright, I gotta wear shades.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qrriKcwvlY&list=RD8qrriKcwvlY#t=0

Birddog
12-14-2014, 08:00 AM
I posted this elsewhere, it probably should be here.

Here is a clip of GoZags leading a tour of some posters at his other job.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2pt2-F2j2g
Some lessons can be learned here, i think.

zagfan24
12-14-2014, 08:15 AM
3 of the 6 guys playing major minutes are new to this team (Wilter, Wesley, and Sabonis), and like GZ mentioned the Zags will be adding 2 contributors after the new year. Basketball relies on teamwork and familiarity more than any other sport, IMO, on both ends of the floor. The Zags should keep improving in this respect which will help limit turnovers, improve floor spacing, and cut down on defensive miscommunication, all of which were notable last night despite the obvious difference in talent. It's pretty crazy to think that the Zags beat UCLA by double digits on the road and there are so many things to continue improving upon. It speaks to the talent level of this year's team.

Melson will continue to improve over the season as well. I know that some are critical of his "burned" redshirt, but I have an inkling that his athleticism will be crucial at some point during the year. I think the rest he and Dranginis can give the starting guards is invaluable.

Personally, I see Pangos's decreased offensive production as a sign he is becoming more comfortable facilitating as he becomes more familiar with the plethora of offensive talent around him. The high shooting percentage of our big guys means it just isn't as necessary for Kevin and Gary to take a lot of outside shots. They'll be aggressive when they need to be if and when opposing defenses start packing the lane. Fortunately, both Wesley and Wiltjer have solid enough mid-range games to keep defenses honest.

TacomaZAG
12-14-2014, 08:28 AM
The guys are now entering the "no bad losses" portion of the schedule. Since we will be HEAVY favorites in every remaining game, any loss will be viewed as a "bad loss", with the possible exception of BYU at Provo. So, extending that logic through the WCC Championship, the ZAGS "should" be 32-1 on Selection Sunday and looking at a high seed (1-3) in either Portland or Seattle.

Take care of business, continue to gel, remain unselfish and most of all............stay healthy. Incorporate McClellan, get Josh back and up to speed, and get ready for March (and April).

Go ZAGS

GoZags
12-14-2014, 08:32 AM
The guys are now entering the "no bad losses" portion of the schedule. Since we will be HEAVY favorites in every remaining game, any loss will be viewed as a "bad loss", with the possible exception of BYU at Provo. So, extending that logic through the WCC Championship, the ZAGS "should" be 32-1 on Selection Sunday and looking at a high seed (1-3) in either Portland or Seattle.

Take care of business, continue to gel, remain unselfish and most of all............stay healthy. Incorporate McClellan, get Josh back and up to speed, and get ready for March (and April).

Go ZAGS

I wasn't a math major (but I have friends that were). I get to 33-1 after the WCC tourney (IF ... and only IF ... the Zags take care of business)

DixieZag
12-14-2014, 08:34 AM
Just me, and I could be wrong, but I think if we go through the season with just the one loss, (which I think is highly unlikely) we'll be a No.1 seed. I think AZ will lose two games in the Pac. They've been known to just not show up some nights (Colorado last year), they have tough games (Utah, WA) and I think it is more likely they lose 2 games than none. If AZ looses 1,they will be the top seed. If they lose 2 we will b/c I think a basic "tie" on the road will not cost us in that respect.

I think it is far more likely we lose one, maybe two, in which case I think we're a 2 seed in the west, but, as some have already noted, being a 3 seed in the West is MUCH better than being a 2 seed in Kentucky or Duke's bracket. So, if someone offered me the record of 30-2 or whatever to end the year, I'd take that and run so fast.

TacomaZAG
12-14-2014, 08:46 AM
I wasn't a math major (but I have friends that were). I get to 33-1 after the WCC tourney (IF ... and only IF ... the Zags take care of business)

Either one works for me................

The theme song for the rest of the season should be "Taking Care of Business" by Bachman Turner Overdrive. Love that vinyl............

Go ZAGS

DixieZag
12-14-2014, 08:50 AM
I think the game at BYU will be very difficult. They'll be playing for the tournament - they have no other signature wins but they've had a ton of close losses against good teams. They're better than their record shows, they play well in that dark cavern, that is not a game this team should just assume it is going to win. It will be more difficult than UCLA.

GoZags
12-14-2014, 08:59 AM
I think the game at BYU will be very difficult. They'll be playing for the tournament - they have no other signature wins but they've had a ton of close losses against good teams. They're better than their record shows, they play well in that dark cavern, that is not a game this team should just assume it is going to win. It will be more difficult than UCLA.

I don't think I said it'd be easy, and I don't believe that I guarantee it would happen (although saying I felt there was a "very good" chance they'd win out comes pretty close. There's probably a dozen or so games ahead of the Zags that they "could" lose, including the one in 13 days in Provo.

sittingon50
12-14-2014, 11:09 AM
I'm reluctant to start a new thread post game, as there are more than enough out there. That being said ... I DO want to touch base on what I see is likely to happen moving forward.

At this point, Gonzaga is 9-1 and is ranked #9 and has played the nation's 10th most difficult schedule to date (per this morning's CBSSports)
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/rankings/rpi/index1

They've accomplished this while working 5 new guys into the rotation. They have a 6th "new guy" coming early next month.

The Zags "should" continue to gel, and "should" continue to win. Sure, some of the wins may not be as pretty as some of the fan base desires, but they "should" win.

IF the Zags take care of business ... IF the Zags "win out" ... and there's a very good chance that they will ... on March 28th they'll be 36-1 for their Staples Center "rematch" against the Arizona Wildcats. I'm not sure who'll be the #1 and who'll be the #2 seed ... but I'm hoping that this is the game that'll be played for the right to go to the Final Four.

Sure ... a lot has to happen for this to take place.

But I'm excited about the prospect of watching Domas Sabonis with another 20 - 25 college games under his belt. I'm excited about the prospect of seeing what Eric McLellan and Josh Perkins bring when they hit the floor in January (and/or early February). I'm excited to see how well Karnowski continues to improve ... either by scoring or passing out of the double team to a slashing teammate or to an open shooter. I'm excited to see how well Kyle Wiltjer continues to improve ... both outside and inside. I'm excited to see Byron Wesley continue to improve. I'm excited to see Silas Melson mature on both offense and defense.... as well as the continued efforts of Kyle Dranginis. I'm excited to see all of this led by a couple of guys who have been 4 year starters at the guard spots for Gonzaga.

The Zags need to take care of business.

I think they will and it's my belief that the future's so bright, I gotta wear shades.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qrriKcwvlY&list=RD8qrriKcwvlY#t=0

Well stated, GZ.

SteelZag
12-14-2014, 12:08 PM
[QUOTE=TacomaZAG;1061085]Either one works for me................

The theme song for the rest of the season should be "Taking Care of Business" by Bachman Turner Overdrive. Love that vinyl............

"You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet" isn't too bad either.

ZagLawGrad
12-14-2014, 12:11 PM
[QUOTE=TacomaZAG;1061085]Either one works for me................

"You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet" isn't too bad either.

Ahhh.....the 70's....when real music was made.

jim77
12-14-2014, 12:29 PM
One game at a time. A lot can happen between now and March.....keep sawing.

Did you see the dunk fest that AZ put on against Michigan? That AZ team looked nothing like that against the Zags. We are a deceiving team to watch play....defensive mostly. There are times when the Zags have a 7-1 guy..and a couple of 6-10 guys (Sabonis & Wiltjer) to go with Wesley who plays bigger than he is. Size matters...ask AZ. Speed bothers this team more than size does. The Zags are tougher on D than they appear.

Here's another BTO song that applies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7miRCLeFSJo

Hoopaholic
12-14-2014, 03:24 PM
Well stated, GZ.

we have much room for improvement and the majority of the improvement is simply playing time together an dlearning the sets. Sabonis for example still not setting on ball screens and is looking to slip it way to quick (from his overseas play) and several times was out of position bumping into players......

second half amoeba zone defense was atrocious.....but it was bad because players didn't know they specific roles and it was the first time we had tried it this season.....will get better and cause some real havoc for teams to figure out how to attack

to me that will be the greatest improvement is learning their roles and expectations and becoming more and more comfortable with each other as teammates

the best has yet to be seen

basketballzag
12-14-2014, 03:40 PM
we have much room for improvement and the majority of the improvement is simply playing time together an dlearning the sets. Sabonis for example still not setting on ball screens and is looking to slip it way to quick (from his overseas play) and several times was out of position bumping into players......

second half amoeba zone defense was atrocious.....but it was bad because players didn't know they specific roles and it was the first time we had tried it this season.....will get better and cause some real havoc for teams to figure out how to attack

to me that will be the greatest improvement is learning their roles and expectations and becoming more and more comfortable with each other as teammates

the best has yet to be seen

People keep forgetting about Angel Nunez--he would have had some minutes against UCLA but KD got hot and you never take a hot player out of an important game. I strongly believe tomorrow will be the Angel Nunez show because he has been sitting on the bench keeping a positive attitude despite not seeing any PT against UCLA. His teammates know how big of a contribution he is to this team just ashame that the fans have only witnessed glimpses of his work. The coaching staff also know that he will be back next year so its important to get he and Silas in sync a bit this year as well. I also like that KW and others are talking to him when they take a break to get his insight on what he is seeing on the court--he reminds me alot of Pangos on the bench because he watches the game closely and talks to his teammates about what he is seeing which is a strong measure of how close this team is.

McClellan is going to take some time adjusting to the game so I hope you guys aren't expecting him to come in and look like Kobe Bryant. Its going to take a month for McClellan to really find his footsteps on this team but from a speed and defensive point of view he reminds me a Mookie Blaylock (former OU guard) on the defensive end--very fast hands and feet.

Hoopaholic
12-14-2014, 03:44 PM
People keep forgetting about Angel Nunez--he would have had some minutes against UCLA but KD got hot and you never take a hot player out of an important game. I strongly believe tomorrow will be the Angel Nunez show because he has been sitting on the bench keeping a positive attitude despite not seeing any PT against UCLA. His teammates know how big of a contribution he is to this team just ashame that the fans have only witnessed glimpses of his work. The coaching staff also know that he will be back next year so its important to get he and Silas in sync a bit this year as well. I also like that KW and others are talking to him when they take a break to get his insight on what he is seeing on the court--he reminds me alot of Pangos on the bench because he watches the game closely and talks to his teammates about what he is seeing which is a strong measure of how close this team is.

McClellan is going to take some time adjusting to the game so I hope you guys aren't expecting him to come in and look like Kobe Bryant. Its going to take a month for McClellan to really find his footsteps on this team but from a speed and defensive point of view he reminds me a Mookie Blaylock (former OU guard) on the defensive end--very fast hands and feet.

Angel will be vital in some of the games in the WCC......for example he will do great against BYU IMO and provide some valuable time for rest during other games that our bigs may need. In addition, DS still has some foul control issues to play thru and Angel will be vital when those games crop up.

I don't see McClellan stepping in providing valuable minutes right away....could be wrong but will be very difficult to come in after 15 games and integrate into the offense and defensive sets.........however, by end of year could be a valuable tool

Hoopaholic
12-14-2014, 03:45 PM

are you saying Angel will be back? where are you hearing this? I thought his status was denied for another year and under appeal? Did I miss something as I sooooo dearly would love for that young man to get one more year of court time

RenoZag
12-14-2014, 03:56 PM
are you saying Angel will be back? where are you hearing this? I thought his status was denied for another year and under appeal? Did I miss something as I sooooo dearly would love for that young man to get one more year of court time

I believe it was GoZags who indicated in November that he (and fellow fans) shouldn't get their hopes up re: Angel's appeal, Hoop:

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?51260-Nunez-Status&p=1048761#post1048761

I had the same reaction as you when I read basketballzag's comments above. . .

basketballzag
12-14-2014, 03:57 PM

I'm under the assumption that common sense will prevail and the NCAA will grant Angel Nunez a 5th year. I truly don't believe the NCAA will deny him and risk a bloody public relations hit and a costly lawsuit. I would be stunned if he wasn't playing for Gonzaga next year.

GoZags
12-14-2014, 04:33 PM
I believe it was GoZags who indicated in November that he (and fellow fans) shouldn't get their hopes up re: Angel's appeal, Hoop:

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?51260-Nunez-Status&p=1048761#post1048761

I had the same reaction as you when I read basketballzag's comments above. . .

I am hoping against hope that Angel gets his Senior year (and GU has been fighting hard for it) ... but as I'd said in the post last month, I've been advised to not be optimistic about the outcome.

DixieZag
12-14-2014, 04:39 PM
I don't see McClellan stepping in providing valuable minutes right away....could be wrong but will be very difficult to come in after 15 games and integrate into the offense and defensive sets.........however, by end of year could be a valuable tool

Nice job, hoop. I agree. We've seen it several times, it is very difficult for a player - even a veteran, to come in mid-season and play a big role.

I'm sure we'd both love to be wrong. Perhaps he could be a serious defender, might be easier to jump in and play D than be expected to help offensively.

GoZags
12-14-2014, 04:48 PM
Nice job, hoop. I agree. We've seen it several times, it is very difficult for a player - even a veteran, to come in mid-season and play a big role.

I'm sure we'd both love to be wrong. Perhaps he could be a serious defender, might be easier to jump in and play D than be expected to help offensively.

If he can give Kevin a blow for 3-4 minutes a half then that'd be a huge help, in my opinion.

zag67
12-14-2014, 07:10 PM
Gozags, you are correct. Against teams that use pressure defense, allowing him 3-5 minutes a half is major. Also there is other time that you can move him to a 2 if Bell gets into foul trouble or you want to keep him on the court, but not have to put up with the full court pressure. I do not see Eric as a 3 point shooter, I see him more in the Wesley mode. But I am just waiting to see what he does. I also say that we should not expect much too quickly. He will need time and it might be next year before we see all that I feel he can give us.

tyra
12-14-2014, 09:43 PM
I said before the season started that this was going to be my favorite Zag team ever. This many games in, I still believe it. But Puh-leeze friends, don't heap these expectations on them. One.Game.At.A.Time!

WallaWallaZag
12-14-2014, 10:40 PM
every single road game against a top-half team in the wcc is a potential loss if the zags don't show up (sd/smc/usf/byu/up and even santa clara with their guards).

VaBeachZAG
12-15-2014, 04:33 AM
I said before the season started that this was going to be my favorite Zag team ever. This many games in, I still believe it. But Puh-leeze friends, don't heap these expectations on them. One.Game.At.A.Time!

Sorry, regardless of whether we like it or not, the expectations are real and they are here, both from the fan base and from the national media. This is just something that goes with being in the bright national spotlight. I fully admit to having them myself, even though in the back of my mind I know there are still potential losses that may come to pass. The board was preoccupied at the beginning of the season with how the coaching staff would divide playing time among so much talent. Just as important now for the coaching staff is to manage expectations of the team (keep the guys grounded) and work hard at improving every week. The Arizona, St Johns and UCLA teams we have already played will not be the same teams we may face again down the road - they will likely be much improved, and so must be the Zags,

GrizZAG
12-15-2014, 04:42 AM
Sorry, regardless of whether we like it or not, the expectations are real and they are here, both from the fan base and from the national media. This is just something that goes with being in the bright national spotlight. I fully admit to having them myself, even though in the back of my mind I know there are still potential losses that may come to pass. The board was preoccupied at the beginning of the season with how the coaching staff would divide playing time among so much talent. Just as important now for the coaching staff is to manage expectations of the team (keep the guys grounded) and work hard at improving every week. The Arizona, St Johns and UCLA teams we have already played will not be the same teams we may face again down the road - they will likely be much improved, and so must be the Zags,

Succinct and stated perfectly.

thespywhozaggedme
12-15-2014, 05:21 AM
Why? We're sily posters on a message board; what we post here has zero effect on the court; zero. I promise.

LongIslandZagFan
12-15-2014, 05:28 AM
I'm under the assumption that common sense will prevail and the NCAA will grant Angel Nunez a 5th year. I truly don't believe the NCAA will deny him and risk a bloody public relations hit and a costly lawsuit. I would be stunned if he wasn't playing for Gonzaga next year.

Whoa, whoa, whoa... did you use the words common sense and the NCAA in the same sentence????

Lawsuit? Really? Who is going to file this lawsuit? What grounds? I want him to be able to play, but I cannot see ANY lawsuit and outside of this board this even making news.

Rangerzag
12-15-2014, 07:27 AM
If, as GZ postulated in the op, the Zags win out, am I the only one who has entertained the thought of earning a number one seed in a region other than one in which AZ also earns a one seed? That would provide a route to the FF which did not require a rematch.

gonzagafan62
12-15-2014, 07:48 AM
If, as GZ postulated in the op, the Zags win out, am I the only one who has entertained the thought of earning a number one seed in a region other than one in which AZ also earns a one seed? That would provide a route to the FF which did not require a rematch.

You know Rangerzag-----------

I have given this so much thought. Exactly what you wrote above. And it got me to thinking.... Of all the close misses, the stepp miss, the embarrassment last year, the wiltjer miss, the loss in phoenix.... There is *ahem*

.... No team I would rather face (if we could get there) in the Elite Eight than Arizona. Sean Miller hasn't gone to a final four, and neither has Mark Few. You talk about going mono-emano ... Tit for tat. After all the pain I have suffered to watch Gonzaga to only see them beat Arizona in Seattle. . . . Two Universities finally trying to break through (in different ways.....) There is nothing more than I would love is another game with Arizona in the NCAA Tournament, with the Final Four on the line. I would take it in a heartbeat.... For one .... you guarantee me the Elite Eight, and secondly, you give us a shot to once and for all quite the demons on the terms of beating Arizona outside the state of Washington, and quieting the demons of the final fours past.

Yeah, bring Arizona on....

gonzagafan62
12-15-2014, 07:52 AM
Whoa, whoa, whoa... did you use the words common sense and the NCAA in the same sentence????
Lawsuit? Really? Who is going to file this lawsuit? What grounds? I want him to be able to play, but I cannot see ANY lawsuit and outside of this board this even making news.

Uh yeah, High five! No lawsuit, NCAA never has common sense, and this won't make the news outside of http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?51705-Take-care-of-business-and-let-s-see-what-happens/page2

Yup.... He is right. Brilliant post.... I don't think I could have thought up all that as funny as you did... errr..... the news part anyway.

maynard g krebs
12-15-2014, 01:11 PM
When it comes to Nunez, the presence of the evil hand of Mark Emmert can not be ignored. He certainly hasn't forgotten the Zags embarrassing his school's team for most of a decade, and he has some influence with the NCAA.