PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs UCLA post game discussions

Reborn
12-13-2014, 08:14 PM
GREAT GAME!!! Go Zags!!! Winning by double digits in Pauley Pavillion is just great. Wiltjer with 24 and Wesley with 20 and 9 with 4 assists. I was so glad to see Wesley have a good game in LA so his family and friends could see him have a good game. I really like his game. I was also very impressed with the Zags rebounding as we outrebounded UCLA 34-30. But I have to say that Wiltjer was unbelievable tonight. He was as good as he was against Georgia. Whenever UCLA would threaten our lead, Wiltjer would nail a three pointer. Wow! It was a high score which made the game fun, but overally the D was really good. Kevin Pangos played almost no D at all though. But the guy who impresses me defensively is Wesley. For the second week in a row he shut down a good offensive scorer. Powell is one of the top UCLA scorers, and he just scored 12 tonight. And also I must include the job the Zags did on Looney and Parker. Parker got 5 and was in foul trouble, and Looney was held to 12 and just 9 rebounds. I Sabonis really had a good game too. Our bigs outplayed theirs and that is saying a lot. Way to go Zags!!!

CDC84
12-13-2014, 08:26 PM
Didn't like Gonzaga's defense in the 2nd half. They gave up 47 points in the 2nd half, and allowed UCLA to connect on 9 threes throughout the game.

Hard for me to get very enthusiastic about the win. Gonzaga is just at another level than that UCLA team. I really want to see the Zags start putting the hurt on some of these teams. They can't just outscore people. It needs to be a 40 minute defensive performance.

Fortunately, the Zags stopped turning the ball over in the 2nd half.

Despite his lack of scoring, I really like the leadership Pangos is showing on the floor. When they need a big shot, he'll still be there. But this team has so many weapons that it just isn't necessary for him to score in bunches anymore.

thespywhozaggedme
12-13-2014, 08:29 PM
We are flat out awesome; so much depth at every position.

seacatfan
12-13-2014, 08:32 PM
To be fair, the refs really kept UCLA in the game in the 2nd half with quite a few questionable fouls that sent them to the line. There were almost no foul calls on either team in the 1st half. Refs called a completely different game after halftime, and it was fairly one-sided. You take that away, Zags blow it wide open fairly early in the 2nd half. They did give up too many 3's, but Alford is gonna get shots off. He got hot after the break. Looney hurt them early and was fairly quiet in the 2nd half. Zags didn't let UCLA go crazy on the O boards, and Looney is one of the best offensive rebounders in the country.

ZagLawGrad
12-13-2014, 08:33 PM
Nice win. Bruins not very good. But a good game for Zags to learn from and improve.

CDC84
12-13-2014, 08:37 PM
Wesley did an outstanding defensive job on Norman Powell. 12 pts. on 3-11 shooting. Including that beautiful block on Powell when he was fast breaking toward the hoop near the end of the game.

ZagLawGrad
12-13-2014, 08:39 PM
Two guys not even on this team last year leading the charge. Cool :clap:

tyra
12-13-2014, 08:53 PM
No minutes at all for Nunez. Any theories?

GonzaGAW
12-13-2014, 08:54 PM
I think anytime any team beats ucla on their home court, that is an impressive win. I don't care if we were ranked and they were not, or if we were even favored. this will be marked as a quality win come selection sunday.

was a bit surprised we played only 7 players, were did our deep bench go? (melson did get 5 minutes, gotta say so far he seems off, maybe not quite ready for the bright lights. have no doubt he is going to grow into a zag great)

Reborn
12-13-2014, 08:56 PM
I understand the feelings about our D, but I do not agree that UCLA is not a good team, and like has been written, at least their starting five. That starting five was really good imo. But I felt Gonzaga's defense, especially in the first half, was great. We did a good job on the boards, and that was my fear, and we held Parker to five pts. I'd say that that was good. I'm really not sure what's up with Pangos. I thought his man absolutely killed him, and Kevin just seemed to not care about it. And if you haven't seen Alford play, and especially shoot, then you don't know how good he is. Zags did an excellent job in defending Powell. Powell is also really, really good. I don't know where you all get the idea that these UCLA players are not good. The Zags made them work for their shots most of the night.

Each game is different. They always are. This was a night for shooters, and the Zags tied them for made 3 point shots. Each team had 9. Wiltjer was awesome tonight. Come 'on guys, say something good about him. Why is he so unpoplular on the board. Dang. I was so impressed with him tonight. I've never seen anyone who plays like him, as he is so good at both posting up and shooting the three. Looney is their big man. He's their Mr Basketball. You know, the guy who is a lotto pick. Wiltjer out played him. I didn't think Kyle could, but he proved me wrong. Kyle outscored him 24 to 14. Wiltjer did the same thing to Arizona's freshman, outscoring him too. And then let's move on to Wesley. Wesley did a number on Powell. If you didn't think his D was awesome,then I believe you doubters need to go and watch that match-up. Wesley got 20 and Powell 12. Two big reasons right there why the Zags won my friends.

My big concern was free throw shooting because UCLA shoots a ton of them for the season. Zags make one more free throw then them, and hold them to shooting just 22. And Don't you really think the Zags did a number on on Parker? Come on.....

I loved the game. We won by 13 in Pauley folks. Vegas had us giving them 5 points I think. I think I had us winning by 7 but felt like maybe we could win by 10. I was being positive as usual.

Go Zags!!!

CDC84
12-13-2014, 09:01 PM

Right now he simply is not as good as the players who are playing ahead of him in the frontcourt.

He will get lots of PT in the coming weeks.

seacatfan
I'm with ya Reborn. Wiltjer was unbelievable tonight, nearly automatic from anywhere on the floor, and Wesley was huge as well. And UCLA does have some very good players. They aren't going to win the Pac 12, but they should finish fairly high, and they will beat some good teams at Pauley this year.

gonzagafan62
Brilliant posts reborn

gonzagafan62
Right now he simply is not as good as the players who are playing ahead of him in the frontcourt.

He will get lots of PT in the coming weeks.

Yup

zag67
12-13-2014, 09:09 PM
I agree reborn. Both Wesley and Wiltjer were fantastc. And this group plays great as a team. I could not believe how quick Alford gets his 3 into the air. Even when Dranginis and GB were in his face he still had a great release. People can say we did not play good D the second half, but I think you saw 2 super teams playing hard. But like was stated multiple times UCLA does not have a bench.

Reborn
12-13-2014, 09:25 PM
I'm going to rewatch the game. I like doing that before going to bed. I loved that game. I'm just happy that we won. I can relax now. UCLA had a pretty good team I thought. I'm so glad our guys were hitting some three's tonight. You know I like it when we are hittin 'em. WE seemed to save the best for last of that run against PAC 12 teams. Good shooting guys! I'm really proud of our team.

Go Zags!!!

upan8th
12-13-2014, 09:36 PM
Points subject to dispute (I suppose):

1. UCLA, this year, is not a top 50, top 75 team, even a top 100 team. Compare this edition's lineup with last year's group of Kyle Anderson, Zack Lavine, Jordan Adams, & the Wear bros, and, well, there is no comparison. This UCLA team will finish in the bottom half of the PAC 12. AZ will double them up by 30 at McHale and 20+ at Pauley.

2. The Bruins have no depth. They have 4, perhaps 5 PAC 12 quality players.

3. GU should have blown out Alford's team the way one of the legendary UCLA teams (pick one) would have overwhelmed the Zags if they played back in the 80's, by 30+ points.

4. If Few is going to remove Wiltjer strategically for defensive purposes, shouldn't the same strategy apply to Pangos?

5. KD has got to get more floor time. He's this team's Mike Hart with still untapped scoring potential.

6. There are no defensive "stoppers" on the Zags. Don't care what you say. Show me the stats.

&. By season's end, toying w/UCLA, letting them hang around, will not be seen by the selection committee as a "quality" win. Oh, wait, I already said that.

Go ahead, the disputation table is open for business.

ZagLawGrad
12-13-2014, 09:39 PM

1. UCLA, this year, is not a top 50, top 75 team, even a top 100 team. Compare this edition's lineup with last year's group of Kyle Anderson, Zack Lavine, Jordan Adams, & the Wear bros, and, well, there is no comparison. This UCLA team will finish in the bottom half of the PAC 12. AZ will double them up by 30 at McHale and 20+ at Pauley.

3. GU should have blown out Alford's team the way one of the legendary UCLA teams (pick one) would have overwhelmed the Zags if they played back in the 80's, by 30+ points.

4. If Few is going to remove Wiltjer strategically for defensive purposes, shouldn't the same strategy apply to Pangos?

5. KD has got to get more floor time. He's this team's Mike Hart with still untapped scoring potential.

6. There are no defensive "stoppers" on the Zags. Don't care what you say. Show me the stats.

&. By season's end, toying w/UCLA, letting them hang around, will not be seen by the selection committee as a "quality" win. Oh, wait, I already said that.

Kicked the hornet's nest. This ought to get good. :horse:

Bing
12-13-2014, 09:43 PM

He's entitled to his opinion.

Even if I (and kenpom and the others) disagree.

ZagLawGrad
12-13-2014, 09:44 PM
He's entitled to his opinion.

Even if I (and kenpom and the others) disagree.

:agreed:

dan71w
12-13-2014, 09:45 PM

you work at :espn: ?

actually, not even worth my time.

seacatfan
12-13-2014, 09:58 PM
I'll take the bait. Pac 12 has unbalanced schedule, UCLA and Arizona only play once this year and it is in Tucson. So the prediction for a UCLA-UA game at Pauley Pavilion is for a fictitious game that will not occur this year. For someone who is so certain of their opinions, certainly didn't do you're homework first. Or maybe you just have no idea what you are talking about. I don't see UCLA finishing in the bottom half of the Pac 12. Looney and an improved Parker are better than the Wear twins. Powell and Alford are certainly better than they were last year. Sure they miss Anderson, Adams and to a much lesser degree Lavine (he looked good in OOC but was largely a non factor in Pac 12 play last year), but the difference between last year's UCLA and this year's is not as dramatic as you indicate. They also had zero big wins in OOC last year and didn't really start playing well until they got into conference play. Same might happen this year.

Ekrub
12-13-2014, 10:06 PM
I'll be cheering furiously for UCLA when they play Kentucky next Saturday. It's in Pauley Pavilion. I could see Alford putting this team on his back and willing it to victory. Okay, maybe wishful thinking but that would be something eh?

seacatfan
12-13-2014, 10:19 PM
I'll be cheering furiously for UCLA when they play Kentucky next Saturday. It's in Pauley Pavilion. I could see Alford putting this team on his back and willing it to victory. Okay, maybe wishful thinking but that would be something eh?

Pretty sure the UK-UCLA game is neutral site in Chicago, although it would probably be fairly heavily pro-UK crowd.

Ekrub
12-13-2014, 10:24 PM
Pretty sure the UK-UCLA game is neutral site in Chicago, although it would probably be fairly heavily pro-UK crowd.

ah, you are right. Was just looking at the schedule and saw the vs. Didnt figure there would be a neutral site game.

Zags11
12-13-2014, 10:32 PM
Lol. Great win and this team is downright good and i believe it is very special.

ZagsGoZags
12-13-2014, 10:42 PM
I was a nervous Nellie tonight. Probably a little over-awed at UCLA's reputation over the decades. Before watching this game I got the guts to re-watch the Sweet 16 game against UCLA in 2006 - first time since it happened. Didn't want to put myself through the pain. Then, this evening, I was surprised we were ahead by ten most of the game, but still compared it to then. Then with about 3-4 minutes left they went on a little run, and got that lead into single digits, and I feared for the worst. We were up on AZ with a few minutes left also. I heard myself saying oh no, we were ahead by about this much in 2006 with this much time left.

That's what I get for not believing. Dang, I watched from my fears not my heart. I felt relief rather than joy. Now I am feeling good, especially after reading the confidence most of you had. I know we are for real this year, but after the loss to AZ and poor defense against WSU, I was nervous.
Now I will start drinking the cool-aid by the gallons rather than by the shot glass. At least a nervous Nellie is a step ahead of a Debbie Downer.

DixieZag
12-13-2014, 10:57 PM

So, out of 8 points, 7 are negative because we beat them by 13 instead of 26?

I could maybe go with maybe 4 upside, 4 downside. Even your "positive" one was a slight on Few (Dranginis not getting enough time), he did turn it over a few times and did it during those points when there was more pressure and more need to take better care of the ball. Not down on KD, just think that might play into it.

I don't think the committee will see beating UCLA by 13 on the road as a negative, whether it is a "quality" win is more up to UCLA than us. We went it, beat them, controlled the entire game. That's fine and I suspect you know that.

How many teams have a definitive stopper? How many teams that can score like us have a definitive stopper? Some, sure. Oh, and you might want to ask Tyler Haws whether he considers his personal Lex Luthor, Gary Bell, whether he is a stopper when needed.

They may have 4 "pac quality players" but according to what I read, they have 4 McD's All-Americans - that would seem to fit that bill.

I have no problem with debating the teams merits, but when one doesn't seem to acknowledge a merit, it seems silly. And, I guess responding to one is just as silly, so, my bad.

GonzagasaurusFlex
12-13-2014, 11:07 PM
Way to ZagUp Zags!!! So nice to see our shooters knock down shots from deep and, as Dickie V emphasized multiple times, the team pass the ball so well. Best offensive showing of the year...Wesley's ability to score on broken plays takes a lot of pressure off the Zags. Sabonis was superb too. Love that Bell and Pangos are confident and humble enough to let guys like Wiltjer and Wesley and Sabonis be the focus on offense. That is amazing really for two seniors to not let their egos get in the way of TEAM.

Hope Silas keeps his head up and enjoys some hot shooting nights in WCC to build up his confidence.

cggonzaga
12-13-2014, 11:33 PM
Sounds like same arguments after we beat St. John's. As I said then I'll say again, that win looks a lot better come March. UCLA isn't as good as the Johnnies but they'll finish at least top 4 in the Pac.

TexasZagFan
12-14-2014, 01:04 AM

When I want to kick the hornet's nest, I head to the OCC...but you knew that. lol

This is the poster's modus operandi...he just can't help himself.

maynard g krebs
12-14-2014, 01:05 AM
I think Alford was 2/7 and 1/4 on 3's for 5 or7 points when Bell went to the bench with his third foul at about the 16 min mark of the 2nd half.

And UCLA is 44 on Kenpom after the game.

seasontixholder
12-14-2014, 04:19 AM
I've been as critical as anyone regarding this team's ability to put games away. But, cmon, these are guys that have weathered a fairly tough travel schedule and just double-digited a legendary program in front of a full house. Without really breaking out into a sweat, they shot an eye-opening percentage and toyed with another PAC team. Just like for the WSU game, they clamped down when necessary and racked up a solid win with a B effort.

These are the best of times.

gueastcoast
12-14-2014, 05:59 AM

I agree that KD has raised his hustle and defensive game, and my hat is off to the young man for finding that role "open" and seeking to fill it on this talent-heavy team. As for the untapped scoring potential, however...it's been a few years, and it's still untapped. We all know he can light it up at times, but something often seems off with outside shot...Hart was an underrated 3-ball shooter and I hope KD can find more consistency on his long ball a la Hart. We'll need it in March when his defense will be critical and require that he be on the court for major minutes...

ZagHouse
12-14-2014, 06:39 AM
Coolest thing I heard was when Vitale called our offense "a machine" and UCLA was doing well just to hang close.

WallaWallaZag
12-14-2014, 06:52 AM
Didn't like Gonzaga's defense in the 2nd half. They gave up 47 points in the 2nd half, and allowed UCLA to connect on 9 threes throughout the game.

Hard for me to get very enthusiastic about the win. Gonzaga is just at another level than that UCLA team. I really want to see the Zags start putting the hurt on some of these teams. They can't just outscore people. It needs to be a 40 minute defensive performance.

Fortunately, the Zags stopped turning the ball over in the 2nd half.

Despite his lack of scoring, I really like the leadership Pangos is showing on the floor. When they need a big shot, he'll still be there. But this team has so many weapons that it just isn't necessary for him to score in bunches anymore.

agree on the 2nd half d...same thing happened against the cougs...zags got up double digits and started to trade baskets. it's kinda the nature of the beast but still would prefer this not become a trend.

BULLDOG#1
12-14-2014, 07:04 AM

1 - I suspect UCLA will end the year top 40-ish. They are down from last year, yes... but there's still enough talent for them to be initially ranked in the top 20. I contend that any win against UCLA at Pauley is a major win.

2 - Yes, they have no depth. They do however have two exceptional players in Powell and Looney and a possible all-conference guy in Alford. I doubt this team will finish in the bottom half of the PAC-12.

3 - The zags controlled this game from start to finish. What does it really matter if it wasn't a 30 point win? At the end of the year when the selection show posts the zags, this game will be in the quality win column. The zags went to Pauley and completely controlled UCLA -- how can you be down on them after that?

4 - Maybe. Pangos needs less floor time. This is where Perkins injury is felt.

5 - Agreed. KD, despite a couple of bad turnovers is playing great. Nice to see him confident and free-flowing with his offense. He's a very skilled player.

6 - I'm not going to look up the stats, but anyone watching the last three games can tell that Wesley and Bell are elite defenders. Wesley took on the challenges of Powell, Hollis-Jefferson, and Johnson and really held his ground. I'm not sure what you're seeing, but I'm seeing better zag perimeter defense than I can remember. I would consider both Wesley and Bell 'stoppers'.

& - I just think you're way off. This was a GREAT week for the zags and I have never had more confidence in this team. Wazzu in a neutral court situation is always a dangerous game for the zags -- and they took care of business with Pangos getting a goose egg. UCLA at Pauley was a game I thought the zags had a 50-50 chance of winning - and they controlled the game start to finish. The front-court is playing as well as any front court in college hoops right now and they look only to get better.

Just a great win for the zags. Selection sunday won't care if it was 13 or 33. Still a quality win.

mnzag24
12-14-2014, 07:27 AM
5 - Agreed. KD, despite a couple of bad turnovers is playing great. Nice to see him confident and free-flowing with his offense. He's a very skilled player.

He is a polarizing figure for me, although I believe the net-net is still positive. The TOs you speak of can be hair pulling frustrating. Reminds me of a few games D-Stocks had where he makes 2-3 great plays, whether it be assists, steals, or buckets, and follows those up with plays that leave you scratching your head and wondering WTF he is thinking.

Quality win, no question. Also, surprised how dead Pauley was. I was at the game in Tuscon and that arena was rocking.

VinnyZag
12-14-2014, 08:14 AM
According to the KenPom box score, UCLA scored 1.07 points per possession. That's Gonzaga's worst defensive performance of the season (tied with the Georgia game) according to efficiency numbers. KenPom doesn't break it down by half, but I'd guess the defensive efficiency for the first half was much better.

Some of it was Alford hitting tough shots (if I recall correctly, most of his 3s were contested). That and Looney getting something like 7 offensive rebounds.

Vanzagger
12-14-2014, 09:34 AM

Every year there is "that guy". Maybe it makes Few feel taller

maynard g krebs
12-14-2014, 09:57 AM

Projecting?

seacatfan
12-14-2014, 11:21 AM
I agree that KD has raised his hustle and defensive game, and my hat is off to the young man for finding that role "open" and seeking to fill it on this talent-heavy team. As for the untapped scoring potential, however...it's been a few years, and it's still untapped. We all know he can light it up at times, but something often seems off with outside shot...Hart was an underrated 3-ball shooter and I hope KD can find more consistency on his long ball a la Hart. We'll need it in March when his defense will be critical and require that he be on the court for major minutes...

I remember Hart's career differently. I kept hearing what a good 3 point shooter he was in practice. Most of his career he just flat out refused to shoot the ball in games, no matter how wide open he was. When he finally did start pulling the trigger, he didn't hit 3's at a particularly high clip and was nowhere near consistent.

Dranginis isn't a big scorer but he is infinitely better offensively than Hart ever was, there is simply no comparison. More skilled overall as well, by a mile. I was never as enamored with Hart as most Zag fans, but I definitely like what KD is bringing to the table this year.

john montana
12-14-2014, 11:27 AM
Kd has been awesome and along with bell and Wesley, gives us a great defensive perimeter. Kyle just makes plays. He had a couple of bad turnovers last night but in general the offense moves better with kd on the floor. He is not a ball stopper and things keep flowing.

As for Nunez, fantastic athlete but still a walking turnover. Our bigs are required the handle the ball a bit. They make high low passes and handoffs and as much as Nunez brings on the glass and defensively we can't trust him to even hand the ball to a guard consistently. He has got to improve there or he won't play much. We have three solid bigs now, and if Nunez wants more than token minutes he can't turn the ball over.

rennis
12-14-2014, 11:32 AM
Dranginis isn't a big scorer but he is infinitely better offensively than Hart ever was, there is simply no comparison. More skilled overall as well, by a mile.

Gonna have to go ahead and disagree with ya there. If I had a choice right now to have MH come off the bench or KD, it would be MH by a landslide.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

seacatfan
12-14-2014, 11:40 AM
Gonna have to go ahead and disagree with ya there. If I had a choice right now to have MH come off the bench or KD, it would be MH by a landslide.

That's fine. I might be in the minority. In my mind KD just brings way more overall skill and ability to the table than Hart. I think if Hart was on this team right now, he wouldn't play 10 minutes/game. He'd be in the mix with Melson and Nunez, and look at how little court time they're getting.

rennis
12-14-2014, 11:41 AM
Maybe true, but nobody calls KD the best 5 minute player in the country either.

The year GU got the #1 seed many coaches were quoted as thinking MH would be the difference in GU advancing to the final four. That is high praise.

ZagLawGrad
12-14-2014, 11:43 AM
When I want to kick the hornet's nest, I head to the OCC...but you knew that. lol....

And you are damn good at it I might add! :cheers:

Hoopaholic
12-14-2014, 11:44 AM

different skills sets bracketed by the same hustle and determination.........

ZagLawGrad
12-14-2014, 11:46 AM
KD is dynamite. Always around the ball. Good defender. Quick. He can score as well. Better overall than MH, IMO. And that's no criticism of MH.

Kiddwell
12-14-2014, 11:47 AM
(1) UCLA scored way too many points in second half
(2) If it were UCLA vs. Saint John's, this fan thinks Saint John's wins

Speaking of wins, nice job, Zags.

:]

ZagLawGrad
12-14-2014, 11:51 AM
(1) UCLA scored way too many points in second half
(2) If it were UCLA vs. Saint John's, this fan thinks Saint John's wins

Speaking of wins, nice job, Zags.

:]

Agree with your point about the Johnnies beating UCLA.

jim77
12-14-2014, 12:01 PM
Great to get the win.

I thought we had some silly turnovers in the first half..kinda nervous a bit. We settled down and took care of business in the second half. If there is a better shooting team in the country, then I haven't seen them yet. Sometimes we try too hard to get a better shot and the result is a turnover. Its better to just let one of our sharpshooters launch then to force up the shot. In the second half, the shot selection was much better.

I thought KP played a nice game...and I think he's adjusted his game to the new offensive realities. Last night KP drove the hoop when not challenged and had a VERY nice step back 3 to put the game away. At this point KP doesn't have to get X number points...he needs to manage the game....and keep defenses honest. He did just that. KP learned a bunch from that AZ game.

The 2 W's were smooth as always...and I just love Byron's silky smooth slashing to the key. Kyle obviously was practicing for another youtube video :) Great game for both.

KD..the great disruptor. I just love his hustle....he looks like the guy most likely to fit in on the 99 team...just a hardnosed smart player. Great guy to go with GBJ and KP.

Our bigs held their own and didn't really get any dumb fouls...we are getting better about that.

We are just a whisker from being 10-0 ...not too shabby, on to Seattle!

sittingon50
12-14-2014, 12:04 PM
"KD..the great disruptor. I just love his hustle....he looks like the guy most likely to fit in on the 99 team...just a hardnosed smart player. "

That's a great observation, Jim.

gonstu
12-14-2014, 12:32 PM

Seriously?

Marcus
12-14-2014, 01:56 PM
One thing I really liked about the game is how impressive they run their offence. Both Dick and Dave kept saying that Gonzaga just doesn't take bad shots. They mentioned this numerous times as well as stating how well the whole team passes the ball and how unselfish they all are. I think this is why picking the G Units is so hard. The top scorers, whether it's been Wiltjer, Sabonis, Wesley or whomever have been getting their points in the flow of the offensive system. The points are coming from open shots or from good interior post positioning after good ball movement. It's really been a joy to watch.

zag67
12-14-2014, 02:37 PM
I agree with you and the announcers. This team is fun watching move the ball and attacking for rebounds. We do not have one super rebounder, we have a team that boxes out. We have 6 players with 3.4 to 6.8 rebounds, 4 over 5.8. We have 8 players with 1 or more assists. And then 6 players with 9.5 or more points. That is what I call a team effort.