PDA

View Full Version : GU-UCLA from the LA Times

Section 116
12-12-2014, 07:43 PM
Nice writeup in the Times: http://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/la-sp-gonzaga-basketball-ucla-20141213-story.html

seasontixholder
12-12-2014, 07:54 PM
Oldtimers can remember when GU's resources were well below that of the next lowest team in the WCAC. What people are watching now is stupid, impossible, ridiculous, miraculous.

DixieZag
12-12-2014, 08:01 PM
Excellent article.

Nothing new in it we don't know, but very well written, very respectful, if not gushing over the program. It sells us even more and highlights how well run the program is. That is not something we don't know. It is something we forget from time to time.

Zagceo
12-12-2014, 08:04 PM
How many even saw the early round games on TV if you lived outside the northwest? I live in So Cal and called many a sports bars looking for early round GU games and finally finding a hotel bar near the airport. I went their and maybe 10 people were in the bar and I was cheering and dying with every play finally a guy seating at the bar said you gotta be alum!

I was at the UCONN game because it was lighting that was never gonna strike again…………….

GoZags
12-12-2014, 08:35 PM
Oldtimers can remember when GU's resources were well below that of the next lowest team in the WCAC. What people are watching now is stupid, impossible, ridiculous, miraculous.

When this "cute little run" began, Gonzaga's recruiting budget ($8,000/year) was last in the WCC. It wasn't until the 3rd of the back to back to back Sweet 16's (and beyond) in '01 that they finally got a high speed recorder for scouting. Those were $25k so they were using old fashioned VCRs. Also, the article was generous vis a vis how the coaches hit the road for recruiting. They bought a beater and stashed it in a driveway in the Bay Area. Rental cars were too expensive. Turns out that periodically the "beater" was slept in ... hotels were too expensive, too.

Reborn
12-12-2014, 08:36 PM
I liked what Mark Few said about fan expectations have changed, and that someone had told him about an article that had been written about how angry fans were that GU lost to Arizona. I wonder if they have been reading GUBoards??????????????? hahahahahahahah OOOooops!!!!

And Dickie V likes to say "Go Zags!" I'll end this post here.

Go Zags!!!

ps don't tell me people don't read GUBoards. And we have the best basketball forum in Div I basketball too. smile

seasontixholder
12-12-2014, 08:49 PM
When this "cute little run" began, Gonzaga's recruiting budget ($8,000/year) was last in the WCC. It wasn't until the 3rd of the back to back to back Sweet 16's (and beyond) in '01 that they finally got a high speed recorder for scouting. Those were $25k so they were using old fashioned VCRs. Also, the article was generous vis a vis how the coaches hit the road for recruiting. They bought a beater and stashed it in a driveway in the Bay Area. Rental cars were too expensive. Turns out that periodically the "beater" was slept in ... hotels were too expensive, too.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

I don't know firsthand the structuring of the expenses now (or who's forking it out). But it wouldn't surprise me to find out that the cost of the booze rooms at MAC for each game exceeds that total, regardless of who's subsidizing them.

Those who are taking this for granted ... shouldn't be.

sittingon50
12-12-2014, 10:13 PM
Nice article.

JAGzag
12-12-2014, 10:19 PM
Somewhat related - on an ESPN highlight of the Lakers win, they showed Sacre with a tip-back and the announcer said, "Oh, and America's team in LA this weekend to face UCLA". Love it.

KStyles
12-12-2014, 10:33 PM
Neil Everett. West coast host, from Spokane. He said the same thing on the late SC...segued Russell Westbrook into a UCLA ”bruins host America's team...that's Gonzaga". He mentions Eastern Washington sports quite a bit.

CDC84
12-12-2014, 10:57 PM
Few recalls recently hearing that an article had been written that was "upset or down on us for losing in overtime to Arizona" this month.

"I was just kind of shaking my head," he coach said.

He laughed.

"Funny where the expectations are now."

Two words: Myron Medcalf

DixieZag
12-12-2014, 11:37 PM

Do you think that might be why Few has such a good crystal ball in terms of getting on players very early and establishing the relationship with kids before they blow up? That has consistently been one of the most critical components to our continuing success. Perhaps it is b/c they had to go deep into the woods to find players that no one else really had interest in and find something great in those kids to develop? You can't pull up in a beater having slept the night before in a car and talk a 4 star into coming to a place they hadn't heard of. They would have to have been finding kids that may or may not have been D1 recruits in the mid-90s, when we really started winning.

Bogozags
12-13-2014, 06:27 AM
This is a GREAT thread - THANKS for all this wonderful information...I'm so darn pumped up for tonight's game...Can it be moved up to say 11am EST, cause I'M READY for VICTORY!

gonzagafan62
12-13-2014, 06:36 AM
This is a GREAT thread - THANKS for all this wonderful information...I'm so darn pumped up for tonight's game...Can it be moved up to say 11am EST, cause I'M READY for VICTORY!

Please no! I must work till 4

hockeyzag
12-13-2014, 09:17 AM
I love it when Few puts all of the fans who have ridiculous expectations in their place. I couldn't help but shake my head when I came to this board and read all the complaining about the OT loss to Arizona. I'm happy with our team, happy with what we've done and happy to be where we are at. Top 25 year in and year out, always in the tourney, and we have a great program with great people. Anything better is just a cherry on top of the best damn sundae you've ever had.

AnonAzZagTemp
12-13-2014, 09:23 AM
Great read on the Zags...I read the other article from Bruin nation and you know you're in trouble when part of your game plan depends on fouls...