PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs UCLA: Head to Head

MDABE80
12-12-2014, 11:16 AM
http://statsheet.com/mcb/teams/compare?t1-season=2014-2015&t1-type=&t1=gonzaga&t2=ucla

This will be a difficult game. As you can see, the stats are not largley different. They rebound better. PPG about the same . Points against..about the same.
3 pt shooting......not much different. THE ONE THING that spooks me is that they are at HOME. Pauley is a hard place for visitors. Gary and Kevin have been awful from 3 pt land. Our bigs should be ok bt UCA has lots of beef down under. CDC has it right..they have a very good 5 starters but it's thin beyond that.
I think it's a tough call but I wouldn't give away lots of pts on this one.

After the marginal loss at AZ, we really need thisgame. Just a "W". at their place will matter lots.

ZagMan in Philly
12-12-2014, 11:28 AM
Vegas says Zags giving 4 points.

cjm720
12-12-2014, 11:31 AM
Their stats are pretty comparable to ours...RPI is the big difference. Should be a decent test for both teams.

Alford is a stud, Pangos/Bell will be challenged.

gonzagafan62
12-12-2014, 11:36 AM
Their stats are pretty comparable to ours...RPI is the big difference. Should be a decent test for both teams.

Alford is a stud, Pangos/Bell will be challenged.

Ouch.... Their RPI is 118? Good thing its early in the season.

Zag365
12-12-2014, 12:01 PM
I haven't seen the Bruins this year -- other than a few highlights. Looking at their roster, stats, etc., I don't see how this is anything but a tough game. We beat St. John's on the road by 7 (I know it was listed as a tourney game, but still MSG was not a true neutral site) and we lost to AZ by 3 there. Based on that, it seems like this is a 4+/- game that could go either way (assuming both teams play to form). Looks like keys to game will be even or better on the glass, converting FTs at .75, and avoiding unnecessary/cheap fouls while playing aggressive D.

We need the W mainly for national perception/tournament seeding purposes. Hopefully, we make it happen down the stretch.

MDABE80
12-12-2014, 01:02 PM
Biggest difference maker will be Sabonis. He's too mobile and quick for them. Kyle must be hot too. He's mobile as well and he's always hunting his shot. Sabonis though, he's a rare big. AA written all over him by year 3.

Reborn
12-12-2014, 01:19 PM
I believe that the difference in our RPI and their's is a significant thing to look at. It means that they have the statistics that they have against easier teams then the Zags have played. They got beat by 22 against Carolina on a neutral court. Lost to Oklahoma by 10 on the same court. They beat San Diego by 7 at home. And they beat Coastal Carolina at home by 13. They beat UCRiverside by 11 at home on Wednesday. This game is going to be played on a very big stage...like our games in Madison Square were, and our game against Arizona in Arizona. Yeah. A really big stage. I believe the advantage goes to the Zags here.

I will have to admit one thing. The name UCLA is not what it used to be. The past is more powerful then the present. Wake up!!! UCLA is not as good as they once were. I would not go as far as to say they'll be in the top 25 this year like some are saying. They haven't shown that yet. I really don't believe that you'll see this Gonzaga Team lost two road games to Arizona and UCLA. They're too good. I believe in 'dem Zags!!! They get my vote.

Go Zags!!!

caduceus
12-12-2014, 02:28 PM
http://i.imgur.com/j2ktz6l.png
source: statsheet.com (http://statsheet.com/mcb/games/2014/12/13/2014-12-13_gonzaga_vs_ucla)

AnonAzZagTemp
12-12-2014, 03:13 PM
I believe that the difference in our RPI and their's is a significant thing to look at. It means that they have the statistics that they have against easier teams then the Zags have played. They got beat by 22 against Carolina on a neutral court. Lost to Oklahoma by 10 on the same court. They beat San Diego by 7 at home. And they beat Coastal Carolina at home by 13. They beat UCRiverside by 11 at home on Wednesday. This game is going to be played on a very big stage...like our games in Madison Square were, and our game against Arizona in Arizona. Yeah. A really big stage. I believe the advantage goes to the Zags here.

I will have to admit one thing. The name UCLA is not what it used to be. The past is more powerful then the present. Wake up!!! UCLA is not as good as they once were. I would not go as far as to say they'll be in the top 25 this year like some are saying. They haven't shown that yet. I really don't believe that you'll see this Gonzaga Team lost two road games to Arizona and UCLA. They're too good. I believe in 'dem Zags!!! They get my vote.

Go Zags!!!

Pauley is not really a "big stage" anymore...the last few games they were lucky if they were even half full...UCLA is a shadow of what they used to be...and a bad shadow at that...don't underestimate Powell or Alford...

DixieZag
12-12-2014, 03:19 PM
No offense to ABE for putting these together, it is greatly appreciated, but I wonder how useful these things are since they are so dependent upon who a team has played up to that game, aren't they?

If someone wants to disagree with me and tell my why it is different, I would actually welcome being proved wrong.

MDABE80
12-12-2014, 03:41 PM
You're right......if they have no value, write up your own or don't read them. Thanks in advance. ......and CERTAINLY no offense intended.

Bogozags
12-12-2014, 05:13 PM
I have watched Oklahoma play two games this year: (1) at Creighton and (2) against UCLA in the Bahamas. OU is a decent team but couldn't compete with GU...too much depth. In UCLA's game with OU, they had strong inside play but they are not disciplined on defense or offence, they tried to block every shot and got into foul trouble in the first half. Looney is a player who can jump out of the gym and will be a lottery pick. He has a very good first step but isn't a solid shooter beyond 15ft.; however, he is a strong rebounder and with his ability to jump, goes to the offensive boards well. We will need to block out!

In the second half, Alford tried to carry the team BUT he could get his shots so defensive rebounds turned into fast break opportunities and OU maximized these opportunities hitting threes and layups with free throws, which is how UCLA was beaten in that second half.

UCLA's defense can at times be stout BUT moving the ball and getting it inside should be the game plan.

This is Wesley's type of game and if they play m-m he will be at the line frequently. GBJ and KD should have the defensive assignment against Alford limiting his offencive opportunities.

If the officiating is even then we should win this game...next to AZ and UK, GU will be the best team they face this season.

I believe we win this one, maybe not handily but we win.

caduceus
12-12-2014, 05:20 PM
I wonder how useful these things are since they are so dependent upon who a team has played up to that game, aren't they?

Well, they aren't. I mean, what are you going to do with the information, sitting on your living room couch?

http://i.imgur.com/rdgIwX0.gif

Aren't all sports stats dependent upon who a team has played up that point? NFL, MLB, NHL, CBB, etc...all the same. If you find the numbers interesting as a fan, then that's all that really matters, doesn't it? Sometimes knowledge gain in itself is enough. For some, it's even more than that. For others, it's probably meaningless trivia.

Early season stats are unquestionably less meaningful. KenPom and RPI both rely on SOS, but are statistically mostly irrelevant until much later in the season. As the season unfolds, however, trends become steadily more meaningful. Like watching a flower unfold.

DixieZag
12-12-2014, 08:19 PM
Wow, ask a question, beg to be wrong, acknowledge the hard work, thank the person that does it - and get thrown down the stairs by the guy you thanked.

Wow.

MDABE80
12-12-2014, 11:58 PM
Boo Hoo. and a Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....thrown in. The victim again.

ZagaZags
12-13-2014, 12:16 AM
Vegas says Zags giving 4 points.

If I was in Vegas, I would take GU -4 at UCLA.

GU 77 UCLA 68

Reborn
12-13-2014, 07:24 AM
No offense to ABE for putting these together, it is greatly appreciated, but I wonder how useful these things are since they are so dependent upon who a team has played up to that game, aren't they?

If someone wants to disagree with me and tell my why it is different, I would actually welcome being proved wrong.

I always look forward to reading the HEAD TO HEAD thread. It's always an interesting post. You can see that the two teams are pretty even on the offensive end. Are there stats for how the two teams stack up DEFENSIVELY? Has that been posted?

DixieZag
12-13-2014, 08:02 AM
I always look forward to reading the HEAD TO HEAD thread. It's always an interesting post. You can see that the two teams are pretty even on the offensive end. Are there stats for how the two teams stack up DEFENSIVELY? Has that been posted?

I always read them, too, or I wouldn't have been here to ask. That's why I appreciate them being on here and why asked how and whether these meant much, and cad filled me in - which I appreciated.

My one and only question when I posted it was whether they had any value head to head (not whether the stats meant anything) b/c, unlike pro spots which cad mentioned, the schedules can vary so much in college.

Once and Future Zag
12-13-2014, 08:17 AM
KenPom Efficiency

GU #10 overall
Offensive 113.0 (Ranked 3rd)
Defensive 92.0 (Ranked 33rd)

UCLA #39 overall
Offensive 107.9 (Ranked 32nd)
Defensive 94.9 (Ranked 71st)

DixieZag
12-13-2014, 08:20 AM
Well, they aren't. I mean, what are you going to do with the information, sitting on your living room couch?

http://i.imgur.com/rdgIwX0.gif

Aren't all sports stats dependent upon who a team has played up that point? NFL, MLB, NHL, CBB, etc...all the same. If you find the numbers interesting as a fan, then that's all that really matters, doesn't it? Sometimes knowledge gain in itself is enough. For some, it's even more than that. For others, it's probably meaningless trivia.

Early season stats are unquestionably less meaningful. KenPom and RPI both rely on SOS, but are statistically mostly irrelevant until much later in the season. As the season unfolds, however, trends become steadily more meaningful. Like watching a flower unfold.

Good answer. I asked only b/c unlike the pro sports, college schedules can vary so much, even conference. I don't think it is meaningless trivia or I wouldn't click the link. I meant to ask (and apparently not well) whether they had value in terms of predictions, not whether there is value at all.

Anyway, thanks.

ZagMan in Philly
12-13-2014, 08:50 AM
GU is now up to 6..go Zags!!

If I was in Vegas, I would take GU -4 at UCLA.

GU 77 UCLA 68

DADoZAG
12-13-2014, 08:54 AM
Good answer. I asked only b/c unlike the pro sports, college schedules can vary so much, even conference. I don't think it is meaningless trivia or I wouldn't click the link. I meant to ask (and apparently not well) whether they had value in terms of predictions, not whether there is value at all.

Anyway, thanks.

It's cool, Dix. The essence of your question is valid. At this point the stats need proper evaluation to have any meaning.

'Twas great when Abe starting doing this last year, mid to late season, IIRC. And even now, provided a proper view point is used, the stats tell a good story.

Having read this chapter with what I hope is a proper view point, I'd say 84-76, ZAGS, legacy or no legacy, and it won't really be that close. UCLA's starter's gonna be gassed way to often (which leads to fouls and turnovers) and there's been no bench support. Run baby run...

...and Go ZAGS!

ZagaZags
12-14-2014, 09:10 PM
We need the head to head thread for the game tomorrow. I love those.

gonzagafan62
12-14-2014, 09:15 PM
We need the head to head thread for the game tomorrow. I love those.

Yes me too. Very appreciated