http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=11907006

gozagswoohoo
12-12-2014, 06:50 AM
Excellent point.

GoZags
12-12-2014, 08:34 AM
Would like to see this kid get some more PT

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=11907006

I like the kid, but even the 1st walkon off the bench (Griffen) hasn't seen the floor much lately.

seacatfan
12-12-2014, 11:38 AM
Doesn't everybody want to see more of Melson? Everybody can't get on the floor. Haven't been many 30-40-50 point beatdowns recently, so the walk ons are going to be staying on the bench.

B Wayne
12-12-2014, 12:40 PM
Yes good point. I would also like to see the team do some tryouts with the best of the intramural teams. The team
could really use some more walk-ons and more playing time with existing walk ons.

I guess we shouldn't expect too much. A few years ago they didn't play Chris Pontarolo-Maag much, missing out
on a great opportunity. I'm not sure if Pontarolo-Maag is now playing in the NBA, D League or high level in Europe? Anyone know?

GoZags
12-12-2014, 12:57 PM
Yes good point. I would also like to see the team do some tryouts with the best of the intramural teams. The team
could really use some more walk-ons and more playing time with existing walk ons.

I guess we shouldn't expect too much. A few years ago they didn't play Chris Pontarolo-Maag much, missing out
on a great opportunity. I'm not sure if Pontarolo-Maag is now playing in the NBA, D League or high level in Europe? Anyone know?

Gonzaga's walk on program is a great source of pride for many, and shouldn't be mocked. The fact of the matter is a number of these kids could be playing elsewhere, at a school's expense. But they've chosen to be at Gonzaga.

I tip my cap to them ... even if they don't see the floor very often.

It's quite a statement that the only Gonzaga coach that played at Gonzaga was a walk on, and Coach Michaelson is doing an outstanding job for the Zags.

Nilson (on staff at Gonzaga); Michaelson (on staff at Gonzaga); Bankhead (on staff at USD); Gentry (on staff at Stephen F. Austin after Texas A and M) have done themselves and our program proud.

It's my strong opinion that these guys do not deserve to be mocked, or shown disdain.

gozagswoohoo
12-12-2014, 01:31 PM
Gonzaga's walk on program is a great source of pride for many, and shouldn't be mocked. The fact of the matter is a number of these kids could be playing elsewhere, at a school's expense. But they've chosen to be at Gonzaga.

It's quite a statement that the only Gonzaga coach that played at Gonzaga was a walk on, and Coach Michaelson is doing an outstanding job for the Zags.

Nilson (on staff at Gonzaga); Michaelson (on staff at Gonzaga); Bankhead (on staff at USD); Gentry (on staff at Stephen F. Austin after Texas A and M) have done themselves and our program proud.

It's my strong opinion that these guys do not deserve to be mocked, or shown disdain.

Don't forget my favorite!!!! Hart (on the zags staff. Video-guy or something, right?)

229SintoZag
12-12-2014, 01:41 PM

I share the opinion. I am not sure, however, the post was mocking the walk-ons, or mocking the suggestion by posters above that Gonzaga needs to see more floor time for its walk-ons. (Just to be fair.)

cjm720
12-12-2014, 01:42 PM
Don't forget my favorite!!!! Hart (on the zags staff. Video-guy or something, right?)

I couldn't tell if that's who he was talking about unless Hernandez was a walkon (my mind is fuzzy these days)

sittingon50
12-12-2014, 02:00 PM
I couldn't tell if that's who he was talking about unless Hernandez was a walkon (my mind is fuzzy these days)

Hernandez was a JC transfer, on scholarship.

Bouldin4Prez
12-12-2014, 02:01 PM
I would love to see him on the court more as well. Means we are beating the opponent by 40 points.

GoZags
12-12-2014, 02:06 PM

Yep ... missed him. I had a pretty serious case of red a$$ and was fired up (even after counting to 10). I knew I wasn't naming guys like Spink, or some predecessors like Herold and Hetrick ... but I shouldn't have skipped Hart.

gozagswoohoo
12-12-2014, 02:10 PM
Yep ... missed him. I had a pretty serious case of red a$$ and was fired up (even after counting to 10). I knew I wasn't naming guys like Spink, or some predecessors like Herold and Hetrick ... but I shouldn't have skipped Hart.

That's the amazing thing about GU though....we've had SO many GREAT one's that it's almost imossible to remember them all in one short moment.

bigblahla
12-12-2014, 06:36 PM
Wasn't Ryan Floyd a walk-on?

Go!! Zags!!!

GoZags
12-12-2014, 06:45 PM
Wasn't Ryan Floyd a walk-on?

Go!! Zags!!!

As was Colin Floyd ... albeit not as productive. Hope somebody can replicates Ryan's 5 made 3 pointers at Pauley tomorrow.

maynard g krebs
12-12-2014, 07:15 PM
That's the amazing thing about GU though....we've had SO many GREAT one's that it's almost imossible to remember them all in one short moment.

Spink
Nilson
Floyd
Leasure?
Bankhead
Hart
Stockton

What's remarkable is that after Bankhead it looked like the era of walkons being significant contributors was over; then Hart and Stockton came along. All these guys deserve our admiration, as do the guys that are "just" practice players.