PDA

View Full Version : Golden opportunity #2

jazzdelmar
12-11-2014, 08:10 AM
For the 2d Sat in a row the Zags have a golden opportunity to all but nail down a top 2-3 seed, placement in the PSW and a potential E8 date w the Pillsbury Dough Coach. SDSU looks vulnerable, barely won last night. All the recruits Fish stole from us are not up and running yet. Utah looks formidable but they will get bounced around in the league and cd lose 2-3 X to Zona. So beat UCLA and the team can doze until the WCCs. OK, not doze, but this is a very weak sked from here on......

gonzagafan62
12-11-2014, 08:16 AM
For the 2d Sat in a row the Zags have a golden opportunity to all but nail down a top 2-3 seed, placement in the PSW and a potential E8 date w the Pillsbury Dough Coach. SDSU looks vulnerable, barely won last night. All the recruits Fish stole from us are not up and running yet. Utah looks formidable but they will get bounced around in the league and cd lose 2-3 X to Zona. So beat UCLA and the team can doze until the WCCs. OK, not doze, but this is a very weak sked from here on......

Yup. Really only 3 tough games left.... but BYU is struggling... so.... that leaves UCLA. Gotta beat them.

Gotta win @BYU.

Well that's about it, besides possibly beating BYU two more times after that.

zag67
12-11-2014, 08:40 AM
Win between now and January 6. First replacement arrives. By then we should also know about how long Perkins will need. Go Zags.

CDC84
12-11-2014, 08:55 AM
It will be interesting to see what the atmosphere is like at the Marriott Center in Provo two days after Christmas. How many BYU students will be in the stands? Heck, how many fans will be in the stands?

In addition to BYU, the road games at USD, SCU and SMC will be challenges to varying degrees. The SCU games at the Leavey Center are always tough, no matter what kind of team GU has. Well, all WCC road games are a challenge to some degree, but those are the ones that concern me the most. I wasn't very impressed by what I saw from St. Mary's against BSU. It will be interesting to see how they respond when they play at Creighton this weekend.

A team to keep your eye on is Pepperdine. They're 5-1 right now. Their only loss was a 9 point defeat at Iowa....the same Iowa team that beat North Carolina in Chapel Hill. All Wave wins have come by double digits. They have a game at ASU on Saturday. I wouldn't be shocked if they enter league play at 10-1.

raise the zag
12-11-2014, 08:58 AM
It will be interesting to see what the atmosphere is like at the Marriott Center in Provo two days after Christmas. How many BYU students will be in the stands? Heck, how many fans will be in the stands?

In addition to BYU, the road games at USD, SCU and SMC will be challenges to varying degrees. The SCU games at the Leavey Center are always tough, no matter what kind of team GU has. Well, all WCC road games are a challenge to some degree, but those are the ones that concern me the most. I wasn't very impressed by what I saw from St. Mary's against BSU. It will be interesting to see how they respond when they play at Creighton this weekend.

A team to keep your eye on is Pepperdine. They're 5-1 right now. Their only loss was a 9 point defeat at Iowa....the same Iowa team that beat North Carolina in Chapel Hill. All Wave wins have come by double digits. They have a game at ASU on Saturday. I wouldn't be shocked if they enter league play at 10-1.

Great point CDC.

Pepperdine...so well coached and underrated talent all around.

Stacy Davis, for one, is definition of a 'Zag killer'.

Fortunate for them to have one of the most respected young coaches in the game right now.

TheGonzagaFactor
12-11-2014, 09:41 AM

Marriott will be full. Top 10 team coming to town for their biggest home game of the year besides Utah. The students may not be there in full, but a lot of BYU students live in the SL Valley, so it's not like they'll all be hundreds of miles away. I'll be there in full Zag regalia.

coolhandzag
12-11-2014, 09:53 AM

Dead on the money. Rebound. Defend. Execute. Win. Get Healthy (KP). Gear up for March.

Zagdawg
12-11-2014, 10:42 AM
So all of the crazy talk about San Diego State stealing Malik Pope and him being the next coming of M. Jordan and the Zags backed off him due to the broken leg injuries are null and void.

Crazy talk-- don't you know he is averaging 1.8 pts with 1.2 boards in about 10 mins per game (15% FG% and 17% from 3 --but he is 100% FT%) the kid is going to get better.

I'm liking what Sabonis brings to the table.

Go Zags

jazzdelmar
12-11-2014, 10:48 AM
So all of the crazy talk about San Diego State stealing Malik Pope and him being the next coming of M. Jordan and the Zags backed off him due to the broken leg injuries are null and void.

Crazy talk-- don't you know he is averaging 1.8 pts with 1.2 boards in about 10 mins per game (15% FG% and 17% from 3 --but he is 100% FT%) the kid is going to get better.

I'm liking what Sabonis brings to the table.

Go Zags

Right but Trey Kell is doing a lot better.....but he wd prob redshirt at GU :)

Zagdawg
12-11-2014, 11:06 AM
The Zags are deep at the guard position --so you are probably right.

I have only seen Kell play a little bit-- saw he went 0-7 at Washington in their loss-- he did grab 3 boards in 22 mins -- he also had a good game against Pitt.

TacomaZAG
12-11-2014, 11:25 AM
Last chance this year for a "statement win". If we lose this one, lots of questions in the selection committee's mind as to how good we really are, or aren't. Even if the team ends up with only 2 losses total, they can't be to Zona and UCLA. They just can't if we want a 2 or 3 seed...........

Go ZAGS

ZagLawGrad
12-11-2014, 11:29 AM

Love it when you talk dirty....:cheers:

CDC84
12-11-2014, 11:55 AM
Last chance this year for a "statement win". If we lose this one, lots of questions in the selection committee's mind as to how good we really are, or aren't. Even if the team ends up with only 2 losses total, they can't be to Zona and UCLA. They just can't if we want a 2 or 3 seed...........

The 2003/04 team had one top 50 RPI win and they got a 2 seed in Seattle.

The 2012/13 squad got a one seed. Their biggest win was against Kansas State (#20 RPI). Kind of a statement win, but nothing that really stood out. That GU team only had one win (Ok St) vs. an AP top 25 team all year.

Both teams only lost 2 games during the regular season, and neither team had a bad loss (bad losses have become increasingly important with the committee over the past decade - GU would've stayed out of the 8/9 game last year had they not lost to Portland).

That being said, losing to UCLA gives them less margin for error as the season moves along.

In my view, what's more important than seeding in this year's tournament is avoiding the Cleveland and Syracuse regionals. Those two regionals will likely feature UK and Duke as one seeds.

Ekrub
12-11-2014, 01:19 PM
Saint Johns may have been a statement win, just nobody knew it at the time

rennis
12-11-2014, 01:30 PM

Good. Pepperdine is a good rivalry and I want to see it renewed. It will be good for the conference.

DixieZag
12-11-2014, 01:30 PM

The 2012/13 squad got a one seed. Their biggest win was against Kansas State (#20 RPI). Kind of a statement win, but nothing that really stood out. That GU team only had one win (Ok St) vs. an AP top 25 team all year.

Both teams only lost 2 games during the regular season, and neither team had a bad loss (bad losses have become increasingly important with the committee over the past decade - GU would've stayed out of the 8/9 game last year had they not lost to Portland).

That being said, losing to UCLA gives them less margin for error as the season moves along.

In my view, what's more important than seeding in this year's tournament is avoiding the Cleveland and Syracuse regionals. Those two regionals will likely feature UK and Duke as one seeds.

That sounds right.

We do need to win this one.

And, though this is sacrilege, I will just say, one of our quality wins was an OT loss at Arizona. No, it's not a "W" - but there isn't a basketball person in this country that didn't see that we were one inch of a Wiltjer 3 to winning that, and there are only about a half dozen (at most) that could have gone in there and done as well. IF we go the rest of the season with one more loss - no matter when it is, we're fine. So, no point in coughing up our loss now, what with GU houses of horrors USD, USF etc left on our schedule.

ZagsGoZags
12-11-2014, 02:16 PM
last year nobody thought Portland would beat us ...
I know we have a stronger team this year,
but we all know that if we have an off night, and the underdog we play is out of their minds, well .....
anything can happen

so I anticipate our coaching staff will be doing everything possible to keep our team going at defense all season with huge intensity

TacomaZAG
12-11-2014, 04:05 PM

CDC, I hear where you are coming from, especially with regard to avoiding a "bad" loss and reduced margin for error if we lose on Saturday. However, we are currently 1-1 against the Top 50 and 0-1 against the Top 25. A win against UCLA would help the first stat but not the 2nd, but more importantly, after Saturday we will be HEAVY favorites in every game (except maybe BYU in Provo) for the rest of the year. I really don't think hanging our hat on a November win against the Johnnies (unranked at the time) and beating up on the WCC is going to get us and love with the committee. My main interest in winning Saturday is to stay close to home for the first weekend of the Tourney, same as you.

BTW, since this is my 1000th post, can I get a seat at the adult table for future discussions???

Go ZAGS

DixieZag
12-11-2014, 04:24 PM
BTW, since this is my 1000th post, can I get a seat at the adult table for future discussions???

There's an adult table?

VaBeachZAG
12-11-2014, 04:31 PM
That sounds right.

We do need to win this one.

And, though this is sacrilege, I will just say, one of our quality wins was an OT loss at Arizona. No, it's not a "W" - but there isn't a basketball person in this country that didn't see that we were one inch of a Wiltjer 3 to winning that, and there are only about a half dozen (at most) that could have gone in there and done as well. IF we go the rest of the season with one more loss - no matter when it is, we're fine. So, no point in coughing up our loss now, what with GU houses of horrors USD, USF etc left on our schedule.

I'm sure it's an unfair (and probably unrealistic) goal that we win out the rest of the way, but I feel we really need to do so to insure a 1-3 seed. I am not the least bit comfortable placing so much weight on the Arizona game performance. Just a single home loss along the way by Arizona will likely largely diminish GU's national stature in the eyes of many around the country, especially if we also drop 2-4 games from what others perceive as lowly WCC foes.

DixieZag
12-11-2014, 04:41 PM
I'm sure it's an unfair (and probably unrealistic) goal that we win out the rest of the way, but I feel we really need to do so to insure a 1-3 seed. I am not the least bit comfortable placing so much weight on the Arizona game performance. Just a single home loss along the way by Arizona will likely largely diminish GU's national stature in the eyes of many around the country, especially if we also drop 2-4 games from what others perceive as lowly WCC foes.

You make a good case. We'll see.

gonzagafan62
12-11-2014, 04:50 PM
CDC, I hear where you are coming from, especially with regard to avoiding a "bad" loss and reduced margin for error if we lose on Saturday. However, we are currently 1-1 against the Top 50 and 0-1 against the Top 25. A win against UCLA would help the first stat but not the 2nd, but more importantly, after Saturday we will be HEAVY favorites in every game (except maybe BYU in Provo) for the rest of the year. I really don't think hanging our hat on a November win against the Johnnies (unranked at the time) and beating up on the WCC is going to get us and love with the committee. My main interest in winning Saturday is to stay close to home for the first weekend of the Tourney, same as you.

Go ZAGS

At the end get season it has no meaning if St. John's was ranked at the time or not. What matters is where all the teams fall in march. Hell for all we know Georgia or smu can sneak back into the top 25

MDABE80
12-11-2014, 04:54 PM

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2014/12/10/arizona-duke-kentucky-wisconsin-bracket-watch

jazzdelmar
12-11-2014, 06:24 PM
http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2014/12/10/arizona-duke-kentucky-wisconsin-bracket-watch

Well, that's not very good, is it Doc?

DixieZag
12-11-2014, 06:53 PM
Well, that's not very good, is it Doc?

That's what I thought.

Second seed in Ketucky's bracket isn't much of a reward for a good season. I guess we should just go ahead and win.

MDABE80
12-11-2014, 07:23 PM
Well.......I dunno..........we likely wouldn't see em till the end. What bugging me is that UK can be beat with the group of very good 3 pt shooters. Ours are in the toilet about now. If they 3 shooters get very good, it'd be a very good game........I think.