PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs UCLA: predictions and other thoughts

Reborn
12-11-2014, 06:31 AM
Gonzaga 77
UCLA 67

Another great game on the road. Another battle. A chance to win one on the road. That's important right now I think. Beating UCLA is always a good win, I believe. I loved UCLA back when I was young. When John Wooden was the coach. I still have such great memories of those teams. I have liked UCLA most of the long time, AND I have liked their most of their coaches. For some reason I just don't like Steve Alford. I guess because I've never liked Indiana. So, I really don't have any sympathies for UCLA any more; so I hope the Zags drub them. Alford's son is really good. I've seen him play once, and he had a great game (27 points I think). I have not been impressed with them as a team though, and Gonzaga should have a good chance to win against them.

Go Zags!!!

gonzagafan62
12-11-2014, 06:47 AM
I think this is a game that Gonzaga should no doubt win. Barely lose to Arizona, means you beat UCLA. Both on the road. I said at the beginning I would take a split. We are going to get one. I see no problem winning this game. It will be tough for the most part, but so was @ West Virginia last year, and I had all the confidence in the world on that one.

Gonzaga 81
UCLA 73

stevet75
12-11-2014, 06:56 AM
Zags win by 12, but up by 10 at the half. Kevin has a very good game 16 points 8 assists.

LongIslandZagFan
12-11-2014, 07:36 AM
Sam Gilbert''s... errr.. Wooden's Legacy 134
SuppaZags 40

siliconzag
12-11-2014, 08:07 AM
I am going to this game and in so doing, breaking a long held, and frequently broken self imposed boycott of Los Angeles. (Most Northern Californians consider it their right if not their duty to avoid visits to LA at all costs, incidentallly). I have been looking forward to hooking up with a pal from GU days with whom I would steal horses, if the occasion arose. (We once chased the officials into the dressing room at halftime at a GU Idaho game in which the zebras cheated us down in Moscow, ID and still managed to avoid being kicked out).

We plan a Rendezvous in Westwood and I am looking forward to it, despite the venue. There is no loss more painful for me than the one that occurred in Oakland when we frittered away an 18 point lead and a thoroughly improbable sequence occurred in which we left with a lump in our throats and a hole in our hearts. I remember experiencing great shadenfruede as they lost to Florida in the FF.

Anyway, I have retired from the prognostication avocation after predicting the Zags would beat Arizona, so I will not hasten to add my prediction to those of you who are more astute about such things. I am a fan, and while I am not as enthusiastic as I used to be (in large part due to having my heart broken in Oakland after we were disappointed yet again), all it took was a battle against the Bruins to awaken my latent inner Zag.

I had a very peculiar dream last night. I don't know what it means, and I am not Greek, so I don't necessarily believe that dreams predict the future. The dream began in getting to the hotel, being over dressed and needing to take of my fleece (part of the Northern California casual wardrobe this time of year). Then we checked our bags at the hotel and wandered over to the campus. We encountered a very steep hill enroute and my buddy and I both had great difficulty in scaling it, but eventually arrived. We entered a big reception room adjacent to the Pavillon which was hidden from view. We dined on very ordinairy sandwhiches and were not offered wine or beer as the Bruin fans were. Suddenly my buddy's sister shows up and she forgot her glasses at the hotel, so I offered to walk back with her. As game time was approaching we decided to take a short cut (and avoid the hill) which led us to a most unsavory neighborhood and the railroad tracks that we walked along for about a mile, worrying about our safety, encountering lots of homeless people enroute. Eventually we began running because we knew we would be late otherwise. To the surprise of both of us, we arrived on the campus and hastened to the Pavillion. As we arrived, the game was in the second half and it was tied. We had great trouble getting to our seats (they were in Section EE, row 5). The UCLA ushers were very polite to us, but indicated we couldn't get to our seats because the game was under way. Now the big question about who won the game in my dream I cannot answer. We had a big rainstorm last night and just as we were getting to that point, the rain became so loud I was awakened from my slumber.

I am thinking about checking in with my therapist about what this dream means, but then, somethings are left best a mystery.

Sili had a little dream
Bout a Gonzaga Basketball team
Playing pastel Bruins
Amidst Railroad ruins
And no where was found Kareem!

I know if kind of sucks, but it was the best I was able to do this morning.

In conclusion, Go Zags. (And Remember the Alamo).

BULLDOG#1
12-11-2014, 08:13 AM
I predict Mr. Pangos will have a chip on his shoulder.

A road win at Pauley is a pretty tall order. It will take a great team effort... Other than Pangos and Bell, the zags had a good team effort last night, but Pangos and Bell will both be needed Saturday.
I expect Wesley will have a lot of support at the game, so I look for him to have another good game. Let's see if Karno can keep it going...

Kiddwell
12-11-2014, 08:21 AM
Widdo Wee Walton, a poem
<ahem>
Widdo wee Walton, shut your yap,
You're three-quarters full of gas.
Crawl in a ball-'n'-take a nap,
'fore a Karnivore chomps your brass.
You put down the Zags during 'Zona's last game,
Is it just 'cause you so like to yammer?
Your moment of glory, a minute of fame,
Will be what when the Zags bring their hammer?
So crawl into bed, Ole Billy So Tall,
Give the sports world a seven-foot break.
'Cause it won't be a battle, or even a brawl,
When the Zags beat your Bruins to steaks.
-----
Steak Eaters - 78
Veggie Boy's Boys - 63

gonzagafan62
12-11-2014, 08:29 AM
Widdo Wee Walton, a poem
<ahem>
Widdo wee Walton, shut your yap,
You're three-quarters full of gas.
Crawl in a ball-'n'-take a nap,
'fore a Karnivore chomps your brass.
You put down the Zags during 'Zona's last game,
Is it just 'cause you so like to yammer?
Your moment of glory, a minute of fame,
Will be what when the Zags bring their hammer?
So crawl into bed, Ole Billy So Tall,
Give the sports world a seven-foot break.
'Cause it won't be a battle, or even a brawl,
When the Zags beat your Bruins to steaks.
-----
Steak Eaters - 78
Veggie Boy's Boys - 63

:]

Zagger
12-11-2014, 08:49 AM
Depth, depth, depth will beat UCLA. If it is not ______________ then it will be ______________ or ________________ and/or ____________________ and ___________________ also __________________ plus _______________ ............ (Insert-A-Zag).
I have my wife's Holiday workplace party to go to Saturday night ........... grrrrr ........... I'm hoping the hosts have the game on somewhere in their home -ELSE- going to have to make sure my iPhone is fully charged so I can sneak peeks at the score or figure out where the fishing hole is Sat. night and see how well my iPhone can view it.

raise the zag
12-11-2014, 08:55 AM
it was a bigs game vs WSU.

it may have to be a backcourt game vs UCLA.

Bruins are stacked up front -- both their PF & C average nearly double-double and have size. 6'9", 265lbs. 6'11", 225lbs. Both were Top-30 recruits and 4 & 5 stars as well. They have size and depth coming off bench too.

We'll need Wesley, GBJ, Pangos, et al to win this game or else we lose.

I have a inkling our bigs, save Wiltjer, will be held in check and neutralized by the size, strength, talent in UCLA's front court.

UCLA two leading scorers are their PG and SG at 17 ppg a piece, but their strength is in Alford's shooting and their two bigs rebounding and causing havoc.

UCLA's only losses were to RANKED teams folks and underrated teams at that.

Considering UCLA will be the runner-up in Pac-12, this is a huge game vs a future NCAA tournament team that began the season ranked.

A game will be needed. Hope Pangos shakes it off in time. If anything, we'll need defensive presence from him in addition to shooting prowess.

CDC84
12-11-2014, 09:03 AM
The problem that UCLA has is that they have zero depth. They have a great starting five and that's just about it. I would imagine GU's depth could wear them down in the 2nd half. The Bruin defense is suspect at times due to their youth at key spots. I have been told that Bruin big man Tony Parker doesn't really like running the floor all too much. I would expect the Zags to push the tempo in this game to wear him out and to force them to use their bench. The Zags have WAY better reserves.

The Zags must be on their game, but if they play even close to as well as they did againt Arizona, they should win. Scoring will come easier, and the crowd won't be as intimidating, even if it's a sell out.

sittingon50
12-11-2014, 11:15 AM
I'm hopin' Francis makes an appearance between now & then. That little bugger has been MIA.

gonzagafan62
12-11-2014, 11:22 AM
MS paint

Reborn
12-11-2014, 12:28 PM
Here's my interpretation of Sili's dream. The Zags start out very slow and get behind, by a considerable margin (it's going to be an up hill battle). Sili's friend's sister forgetting her glasses seems to suggest that the Zags are not able to see initially how to play against the Bruins, and their poor vision is hurting them. The stop playing the Zag Way and this is what has gotten them into trouble. But somehow the Zags get through the chaos and find there way, and begin the comeback. They tie the score up in the second half, at some point that is unknown to us. And that the outcome is uncertain. The fact that they could not get into their seats because the girl forgot her glasses suggests to me that the refs are blind. It could be them that is not seeing the game right, and maybe their poor officiating in the first half is straightened out after intermission (the score is tied up).

We do not know the final score because Sili is awakened from his dream by the rain. Rain could mean two things I believe. First, there is a cleansing for the Zags that lead them back to reality (who they are), and they begin to play the Zag way. It is the rain that awakens them. the second interpretation of rain is that the Zags finally begin to hit some 3's, and it awakens them. It leads them as it has done in the past. Remember that Gonzaga has always been called Guard U. And the reality is that our guards, Kevin and Gary, begin to hit some threes and it brings them back. This dream to me is a hopeful dream, and shows that finally Pangos begins to hit some outside shots ON THE ROAD, and he leads us to victory. He and Gary.

Good dream, Sili. If we do get behind in the beginning, Zag fans don't worry. We'll be making a comeback and tie it in the second half. I change my prediction based on Sili's dream.

ZAGS WIN BY 7!!! 78-71.

Go Zags!!!

Zagdawg
12-11-2014, 12:35 PM
TIME FOR A LITTLE PAYBACK (warning --do not watch this clip if you have flashbacks of this game)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlS1_WWTr-Y

DixieZag
12-11-2014, 01:03 PM
Depth, depth, depth will beat UCLA. If it is not ______________ then it will be ______________ or ________________ and/or ____________________ and ___________________ also __________________ plus _______________ ............ (Insert-A-Zag).
I have my wife's Holiday workplace party to go to Saturday night ........... grrrrr ........... I'm hoping the hosts have the game on somewhere in their home -ELSE- going to have to make sure my iPhone is fully charged so I can sneak peeks at the score or figure out where the fishing hole is Sat. night and see how well my iPhone can view it.

Your voice doesn't sound right. You look a little peaked? Are you flushing from a flu? Oh, gosh, you don't look so good. You might need to get some rest for a few days, stay in, no alcohol. Time to get a big blanket out, a good book.....and the remote.

Sili will get you a Drs note.

We just want what's best for you Zagger.

Game:
Zags: 75
Not Zags: 70

Game is far more difficult than any of us are letting ourselves believe. UCLA saw what AZ did and had in us. We won't sneak up on them, We're their ticket to respect. They lead through 30. Our bigs wear them down, and they can't stop Wesley. Wesley finishes with 26, Wiltjer 20, Kevin still struggles (he's hurt, big blow v WSU), Gary hits 2 big 3s second half.

raise the zag
12-11-2014, 01:14 PM
Game:
Zags: 75
Not Zags: 70

Game is far more difficult than any of us are letting ourselves believe. UCLA saw what AZ did and had in us. We won't sneak up on them, We're their ticket to respect. They lead through 30. Our bigs wear them down, and they can't stop Wesley. Wesley finishes with 26, Wiltjer 20, Kevin still struggles (he's hurt, big blow v WSU), Gary hits 2 big 3s second half.

http://imgc-cn.artprintimages.com/images/P-473-488-90/60/6011/H37B100Z/posters/peter-c-vey-that-s-amazing-i-was-just-thinking-the-same-thing-new-yorker-cartoon.jpg

gonzagafan62
12-11-2014, 01:35 PM
I'm hopin' Francis makes an appearance between now & then. That little bugger has been MIA.

http://dealbreaker.com/uploads/2014/12/goat7.jpg

Zagger
12-11-2014, 02:30 PM
Your voice doesn't sound right. You look a little peaked? ............
Won't work - been married 33 years - all tricks tried - none worked! Dang those smart females anyway!
But, she is a Zag fan! We've gone to 3 games so far this season and will be at Monday's game as well. Plus, we're going to Vegas for the WCC Zag games. Don't want to test out my luck! :)

Zagceo
12-11-2014, 02:32 PM
Now the big question about who won the game in my dream I cannot answer. We had a big rainstorm last night and just as we were getting to that point, the rain became so loud I was awakened from my slumber.

maybe its the future ……or just the past.:)

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac342/ceo_500/ScreenShot2014-12-09at51514PM_zps1c7ceef0.png

TravelinZag
12-11-2014, 03:26 PM
In LA for the game. Excited by an opportunity to steal one in Pauley (frankly, excited just to see a game there). Believe the Zags should, and will prevail. However, concerns: guard play, at both ends (is Kevin okay?); Zags ability to play their game, with confidence, to the end; avoiding early, foolish fouls.

This would be a terrible opportunity to fritter away, with lasting consequences. Play like the winners you wish to be, are capable of being, and the victory you secure will boost your swagger for the remaining season. Go Zags!

Ezag
12-11-2014, 03:56 PM
This could be a tough game. Hopefully Pangos and Bell will come thru. Pangos has only had 8 pts in the last 2 games and Bell only 14 in his last 2 games with only 2pts last night. Could be of concern. Thank God for Wesley and Wiltjer transfers or we might have a couple more losses.

zag67
12-11-2014, 04:32 PM
I think that like was said on TV, the staff decides the best matchups and attack them. In this game it was Karno, and they did not change for the whole first half. Also when you get the ball down there, people like Wesley and Wiltjer become open for short/mid range shots. If UCLA decides to double down then you are going to have the outside shooters open.

Reborn
12-11-2014, 04:46 PM
Our attention really does need to turn to the UCLA game. It's really an important game. Games like this have not come around for Gonzaga every year. The Zags will address it like it's the most important game of the year so far. The Zags know what UCLA stands for. They will be ready. The Zags didn't not have to exert the kind of energy that was needed at Arizona; so I'm glad the game last night was one that they could kind of cruise on. Sometimes cruising is good, especially when you have a game like the one coming up against UCLA. Afterall, the Zags have only two days to get ready for UCLA.

I also saw that UCLA PLAYED last night too; so they have the same amount of time to prepare for us as we have to prepare for them. That's good. I really can't tell you how the game is going to be played, or what the score will be. Every game is different. It is a mystery to be experienced on game day. It is a work of art ready to be created. That's what I love about sports. It's fun for us fans to play the guessing game, and for a couple of days pretend that we KNOW IT ALL. It's just part of being a fan. It's part of the fun of getting ready for a game. But in the end, we know that our boys will be in a fight, and that it's going to be tough as hell out there on the court. They WILL battle and fight, and give it all they have. And the final horn will blow and we'll get to see how our boys played and met the challenge that awaits them in LA. in Pauley Pavilion. Are the Zags as good as we think or hope they are? Yes. They are. They showed it in Arizona, and they'll show it Saturday in Pauley. I think UCLA will be a great opponent just as Arizona was. I want to see how tough UCLA is. I really don't know much about them. I'm so dang excited for Saturday.

Go Zags!!!

Zags11
12-11-2014, 07:44 PM
Zags 78
ucla 74

wesley with 14

Zagbag
12-11-2014, 08:24 PM
Good stuff fellas (and ladies). Been lurking on this board for quite a while now and all good info. Just got a call from a buddy who knows I'm a huge zag fan to say he's got tickets on the floor for this ucla game (We live in LA.) Pretty good call to say the least. Anyway we'll represent the best we can and should be a good night if things go accordingly. Zags by 9 is my call. Again much appreciation for all the info and laughs. Keep it up

gonzagafan62
12-11-2014, 08:25 PM
Good stuff fellas (and ladies). Been lurking on this board for quite a while now and all good info. Just got a call from a buddy who knows I'm a huge zag fan to say he's got tickets on the floor for this ucla game (We live in LA.) Pretty good call to say the least. Anyway we'll represent the best we can and should be a good night if things go accordingly. Zags by 9 is my call. Again much appreciation for all the info and laughs. Keep it up

Nice post. Glad to have you. Have fun at the game and hopefully bring home the w

ZagsGoZags
12-11-2014, 10:26 PM
Zags win by 12, but up by 10 at the half. Kevin has a very good game 16 points 8 assists.

I hope you are right. I am worried about Pangos. He got clobbered in the head in the last few minutes of the AZ game, then got clobbered in the head again in the Arena. If our opponents can't beat us maybe they can beat up our point guards. just kidding, but I am worried. He has not played like himself, IMO, since the contact he suffered near the end of the AZ game.

Reborn
12-12-2014, 03:06 AM
When I was watching the game over for the second time, I couldn't help but notice the outstanding defense that Silas Melson plays. I love his defensive stance and the way he moves his feet. I really have confidence in his abilities to play with the first unit. It was also good to see him hit another 3. Keep it going this Saturday in Westwood, Silas. Just relax when you shoot it. No difference now then way back when. Hitting an open shot is always the same. Relax, and use your mechanics properly. Those are the keys to successful outside shooting. Be confident.

Also a big shout-out to Kyle Wiltjer. Kyle is ready for a big game on Saturday. Being from Portland, he knows the importance of playing in Pauley Pavilion. There is no greater victory to us Pacific North Westerners then to beat UCLA. Do you hear that Gary? I know you guys are ready and focused. I feel a big victory is ahead. I'm so excited I couldn't sleep. Up at 3 am. Thinking about the Zags beating UCLA. This team can do it, and they can do it in Pauley.

Go Zags!!!

Hoopaholic
12-12-2014, 03:25 AM
P
When I was watching the game over for the second time, I couldn't help but notice the outstanding defense that Silas Melson plays. I love his defensive stance and the way he moves his feet. I really have confidence in his abilities to play with the first unit. It was also good to see him hit another 3. Keep it going this Saturday in Westwood, Silas. Just relax when you shoot it. No difference now then way back when. Hitting an open shot is always the same. Relax, and use your mechanics properly. Those are the keys to successful outside shooting. Be confident.

Also a big shout-out to Kyle Wiltjer. Kyle is ready for a big game on Saturday. Being from Portland, he knows the importance of playing in Pauley Pavilion. There is no greater victory to us Pacific North Westerners then to beat UCLA. Do you hear that Gary? I know you guys are ready and focused. I feel a big victory is ahead. I'm so excited I couldn't sleep. Up at 3 am. Thinking about the Zags beating UCLA. This team can do it, and they can do it in Pauley.

Go Zags!!!

Agree when discussing on ball defense
His off ball defense, rotation and help side moves needs improving along with transistion role responsibilities

But he has awesome potential, great mechanics and a tenacious attitude

Reborn
12-12-2014, 03:27 AM
I keep reading the words of LIZF and Mark Few, "RELAX." That's what our 3 point shooters need to do. Relax, keep the elbow in, and shot and follow through. It's all in the wrist and finger tips. Can you feel it? Snap that wrist and snap those fingertips. Feel it. Feel it. Come on, Feel it. I want to see those 3 pointer shots falling in Pauley.

Go Zags!!!

ps I almost forgot. And keep your dang elbow in.

DixieZag
12-12-2014, 06:46 AM
I keep reading the words of LIZF and Mark Few, "RELAX." That's what our 3 point shooters need to do. Relax, keep the elbow in, and shot and follow through. It's all in the wrist and finger tips. Can you feel it? Snap that wrist and snap those fingertips. Feel it. Feel it. Come on, Feel it. I want to see those 3 pointer shots falling in Pauley.

Go Zags!!!

ps I almost forgot. And keep your dang elbow in.

That's good stuff Reborn. We all know that these guys shoot the 3 well at home, I'm not sure I recall a time when we shot great on the road - Maui? Notorious for its soft rims?

But, it has to be b/c more relaxed and confident at home, right?

Kevin shot well in the last half at West Virginia, I don't recall another game where he really lit up like at home.

There's less drop off for Gary between on the road and home, though in past seasons he's just not been aggressive enough.

I think Witjer has just had a slow 3pt start that will absolutely end as the season progresses.

raise the zag
12-12-2014, 07:00 AM

WOW :cheers:

Welcome and congrats! this guy is a little jealous yet super pumped for you!

That's amazing. I'm attending the game as well, yet had a difficult time finding tickets for close to face value. Craigslist and Stub Hub were high, thus ended up with upper deck, center court, aisle seats for $50/piece. Not bad given same seats in same section were around $100 per seat on CL.

Have fun, cheer loud for our Zags!

TheGonzagaFactor
12-12-2014, 07:04 AM
I think UCLA will end up 2nd or 3rd in the PAC12, so I believe a lot of posters are overlooking them. Generally I see a lot of people trying to show them respect but seem to think we will win easily. We haven't played great outside the Kennel, so I think this one could go either way. UCLA has some awesome bigs and outside shooters to compliment them. They could run us out of the gym if we don't bring our best game with us.

I think we show up and play our best game of the year so far. Zags 80 UCLA 76 in a thriller. UCLA and St. John's turn out to be our highest quality wins after UCLA ends up being ranked the second half of the season.

gonzagafan62
12-12-2014, 07:13 AM
I think UCLA will end up 2nd or 3rd in the PAC12, so I believe a lot of posters are overlooking them. Generally I see a lot of people trying to show them respect but seem to think we will win easily. We haven't played great outside the Kennel, so I think this one could go either way. UCLA has some awesome bigs and outside shooters to compliment them. They could run us out of the gym if we don't bring our best game with us.

I think we show up and play our best game of the year so far. Zags 80 UCLA 76 in a thriller. UCLA and St. John's turn out to be our highest quality wins after UCLA ends up being ranked the second half of the season.

Whats really cool is we have a few games that will come in to play to be somewhat good wins.

SMU --- They are starting to get back on their feet after that loss to Arkansas..... No terrible losses so far... They go and beat Michigan @UM, they could be 10-3 going to a date with Cincy, and afte that their sked is weak. I wouldn't count out Larry Brown just yet.
Georgia --- This one is a lot more farfetched, and more unlikely, but they have chances in league to beat Arkansas, Florida and Kentucky... yeah, maybe not.

St. Johns
Possibly UCLA

We know about the other two. Lets put a UCLA win on our resume... Go Zags!

raise the zag
12-12-2014, 07:38 AM

Great post and prognostication.

Couldn't agree more, as I also feel a sense of 'overlooking' them a bit.

We can only hope and expect the team isn't doing the same. As Jazz stated, "our golden opportunity". We must take advantage and play up to snuff.

I think we'll play well as team. However, if being honest, I expect Pangos to struggle this game. I sincerely believe he's been shaken up. More than he's willing to admit since Zona game and WSU game only exacerbating issue -- whether you want to call it fatigue, or just rattled, something is wrong. He's been hurt on court and played through it. Tough as nails, he's proven that, Coach Few repeated this sentiment as well, thus it will require a Herculean effort by our bigs, bench, and especially GBJ/Wesley to 1. win this game on the road in a raucous environment. and 2. fill in void of Pangos being 'off'. For now.

Just watch UCLA replays. They are good.

Their two leading scorers are their PG and SG. Our backcourt will have to play tough, hard-nosed, M2M defense for 40 minutes. Both can shoot, drive, dish, score.

Not to mention, UCLA features 3 bigs that match our size (save Karno), and all were Top-30, 4 & 5* players out of HS. Some are considered future NBA bigs. They average nearly double-double as well.

As I've been saying, UCLA should be better than they are. I agree with Coach Donny Daniels who stated, "UCLA's first 5 rivals any in the Country".

Its true. They could very well click at any time.

Their only 2 losses were to ranked opponents...AWAY from home.

I'm not sure Coach Alford and his Mountain West style is greatest fit. Seems like a great guy, yet was never impressed with his New Mexico teams play either, even when they were competitive, they relied heavily on 1 or 2 guys.

Point is, UCLA was ranked, will be ranked, and is capable of not only beating us, but burying us if we are 'out of sorts'.

They have proven shooters, rebounders, and scorers. They are the 2nd best team, once realized, we'll face this entire season.

We "brought it" vs Zona, yet didn't vs WSU. I'm happy as a clam we beat an in-state rival via Pac-12, yet it was more than obvious we toyed with them, coasted if you will, only player who brought toughness, attitude, defense mentality was Karnowski. We scored at will, yet so has any team in Top-150 vs them. Not impressed.

Will need a much better effort on defense vs UCLA, especially from the point man himself, Kevin Pangos. Kevin has racked up the fouls and getting absolutely smoked at point of attack vs Southeastern Louisana, Arizona, and WSU. His defense has led to so many easy lay-ins and buckets the last few games. Injured or not, he will be guarding UCLA's second leading scorer and one of the nation's best 3pt shooters. Gary will have to try and contain Powell as they play same position and he's their slasher.

I'm calling out Pangos defense b/c its been the weak link in December and we desperately need him to step up and trust his help defense b/c he's allowing guys all the way to the hoop! Unlike him. It needs to stop. Either trust our bigs or give up a shot, because after staying home from work and watching our last 3 games, its been Pangos defense leading to 80% of opponents easy buckets. I missed it or denied it the first watch, yet surprised this hasn't been mentioned or too prudent to do so, but its been frustrating.

Yes, Wiltjer isn't the best post defender yet he's been getting rebounds, boxing his man out, and disrupting plays, so not a complete liability on that side of the court.

We'll need a complete team effort on defense and a couple guys to step up on offense. I'm counting on PK once again. Also, I think Domas may have a big game, either from a rebounding or scoring perspective. His defense on Looney will be paramount as well. An elite Frosh vs elite Frosh. Awesome.

Hope by now we realize our offense should create isolation mis-matches with Wesley. He's too darn smooth, smart, and good of a slasher not to create plays. I noticed vs WSU we did just that on our rotations. More of this. His entire family and friend base will be in attendance as well.

Wiltjer is Wiltjer. A scorer and pretty clutch too. He could have a big game as well or be swallowed up depending who guards him. I'd like to see him be more physical this game to draw fouls vs their bigs. He surprisingly well versed at drawing fouls, and solid FT shooter, do it more.

I would love to see the same GBJ we saw vs Arizona. In fact, it may be necessary given Pangos play of late.

Should be a GREAT game. I don't see either team blowing the other team out. On neutral court, Zags win by 8-10. On UCLA's home court, I feel this comes down to the wire, if not extra minutes again.

I will be in attendance and cheering them on!

willandi
12-12-2014, 07:40 AM

I am sorry for you, but I thought it was an afternoon game, so glad for me. Get some syrup of ipacac (be sneaky), then you can actually puke and have an excuse to stay home!

ZagLawGrad
12-12-2014, 08:35 AM
Not calling this one. Pauley Pavilion, UCLA, Zags getting every team's best shot. Zags are good, but the pieces are still coming together. It would not surprise me to see a bad result.

bballbeachbum
12-12-2014, 09:32 AM
hope to get out quick, keep their front running crowd dismayed and out of it. play inside out again, force them to show how they will defend the paint, then attack accordingly. hope we bring our Kennel shooting prowess

ZagMan in Philly
12-12-2014, 10:06 AM
One more thing to add, they are using Pac-12 officials in this game.
Can you say bias???
Our big boys must be aware of the zebras.

Good guys 80
Da Ruins 70

Not calling this one. Pauley Pavilion, UCLA, Zags getting every team's best shot. Zags are good, but the pieces are still coming together. It would not surprise me to see a bad result.

Reborn
12-12-2014, 10:23 AM
Looking over the statistics of the two teams, one thing sticks out. UCLA goes to the Free Throw line a lot, and a lot more then GU does. I'm not sure if this is due to style of play or the reffing in Pauley. If the game is called really close then it is one thing that could keep this game close. If we have starters on the bench in the first half, it's certainly one way to keep this game close. Looney and Powell, who are their two top scorers at 17 ppg, make 8 and 7 free throws a game. Looney will be the best power forward (or 4) that Gonzaga will have faced so far. He's 6' 9" and weighs 220. So he's not real big (in weight). I'd guess the same size as Sabonis but shorter then Sabonis. Powell is 6' 4" and weighs 215, Gary Bell's size but taller. When you look at their last two games, both were close (within 10 points) and they won both at the Free Throw line. So this is not going to be a game that the Zags can be careless at the FT line.

UCLA center, Tony parker, is 6' 9" and weight 260. This is going to be the biggest center that Gonzaga has faced so far.

Go Zags!!!

Bogozags
12-12-2014, 10:43 AM
My schedule says 11pm EST or 8pm on the West Coast...would love an afternoon game, then I would be able to stay up for it...am taping and watching real early Sunday AM...

Bogozags
12-12-2014, 10:48 AM
Reborn,

Their post players are quicker and leapers...Looney, I think has jumped over the backboard once or twice...he will be a top ten draftee next summer. We just have to box-out and keep them off the glass...

Like your match-ups and think it will be interesting to see if the Zebras call it even both ways...most on that UCLA board seem to think they are going to lose and I hope they are right!

seacatfan
12-12-2014, 10:52 AM
There's a thread about this game being a golden opportunity for the Zags. UCLA might be looking at the same way. They don't have anything remotely close to a marquee win yet. Lost against 2 ranked teams on a neutral court in the Bahamas. Have a neutral court game against Kentucky after GU, not much chance they win that one. They'll have plenty of chances for quality wins in conference, but they could certainly use a good win in OOC. I don't think the Zags will be the only team looking at this as an important game.

Reborn
12-12-2014, 11:22 AM
My biggest question is how good is UCLA on defense? It seems to me that their guards are not good on D. This could be a game that Pangos, Bell and Wesley do the scoring. Gonzaga could actually score in the 80's. That would be nice.

Go Zags!!!

cjm720
12-12-2014, 11:35 AM

I too like Melson on D. Much longer than expected. He's sneaky fast too...kind of lulls around, but when needed he can make up space quickly. Wish we played 50 minute games though! :)

SteelZag
12-12-2014, 08:24 PM
My biggest question is how good is UCLA on defense? It seems to me that their guards are not good on D. This could be a game that Pangos, Bell and Wesley do the scoring. Gonzaga could actually score in the 80's. That would be nice.

Go Zags!!!

Wesley should be comfortable in Pauley. Last season he scored 21 @Pauley and 27 at home against the Bruins.

CDC84
12-12-2014, 11:06 PM
My biggest question is how good is UCLA on defense?

Spotty due to their lack of depth and some of their youth.

I expect this to be a tight game throughout but for the Zags to pull away in the end. Few needs to do a good job utilizing his bench to wear down the Bruin starters. UCLA is not a deep team. GU's bigs have to avoid cheap fouls. It's critical in games like this.

DixieZag
12-12-2014, 11:21 PM
Great post and prognostication.

Couldn't agree more, as I also feel a sense of 'overlooking' them a bit.

We can only hope and expect the team isn't doing the same. As Jazz stated, "our golden opportunity". We must take advantage and play up to snuff.

I think we'll play well as team. However, if being honest, I expect Pangos to struggle this game. I sincerely believe he's been shaken up. More than he's willing to admit since Zona game and WSU game only exacerbating issue -- whether you want to call it fatigue, or just rattled, something is wrong. He's been hurt on court and played through it. Tough as nails, he's proven that, Coach Few repeated this sentiment as well, thus it will require a Herculean effort by our bigs, bench, and especially GBJ/Wesley to 1. win this game on the road in a raucous environment. and 2. fill in void of Pangos being 'off'. For now.

Just watch UCLA replays. They are good.

Their two leading scorers are their PG and SG. Our backcourt will have to play tough, hard-nosed, M2M defense for 40 minutes. Both can shoot, drive, dish, score.

Not to mention, UCLA features 3 bigs that match our size (save Karno), and all were Top-30, 4 & 5* players out of HS. Some are considered future NBA bigs. They average nearly double-double as well.

As I've been saying, UCLA should be better than they are. I agree with Coach Donny Daniels who stated, "UCLA's first 5 rivals any in the Country".

Its true. They could very well click at any time.

Their only 2 losses were to ranked opponents...AWAY from home.

I'm not sure Coach Alford and his Mountain West style is greatest fit. Seems like a great guy, yet was never impressed with his New Mexico teams play either, even when they were competitive, they relied heavily on 1 or 2 guys.

Point is, UCLA was ranked, will be ranked, and is capable of not only beating us, but burying us if we are 'out of sorts'.

They have proven shooters, rebounders, and scorers. They are the 2nd best team, once realized, we'll face this entire season.

We "brought it" vs Zona, yet didn't vs WSU. I'm happy as a clam we beat an in-state rival via Pac-12, yet it was more than obvious we toyed with them, coasted if you will, only player who brought toughness, attitude, defense mentality was Karnowski. We scored at will, yet so has any team in Top-150 vs them. Not impressed.

Will need a much better effort on defense vs UCLA, especially from the point man himself, Kevin Pangos. Kevin has racked up the fouls and getting absolutely smoked at point of attack vs Southeastern Louisana, Arizona, and WSU. His defense has led to so many easy lay-ins and buckets the last few games. Injured or not, he will be guarding UCLA's second leading scorer and one of the nation's best 3pt shooters. Gary will have to try and contain Powell as they play same position and he's their slasher.

I'm calling out Pangos defense b/c its been the weak link in December and we desperately need him to step up and trust his help defense b/c he's allowing guys all the way to the hoop! Unlike him. It needs to stop. Either trust our bigs or give up a shot, because after staying home from work and watching our last 3 games, its been Pangos defense leading to 80% of opponents easy buckets. I missed it or denied it the first watch, yet surprised this hasn't been mentioned or too prudent to do so, but its been frustrating.

Yes, Wiltjer isn't the best post defender yet he's been getting rebounds, boxing his man out, and disrupting plays, so not a complete liability on that side of the court.

We'll need a complete team effort on defense and a couple guys to step up on offense. I'm counting on PK once again. Also, I think Domas may have a big game, either from a rebounding or scoring perspective. His defense on Looney will be paramount as well. An elite Frosh vs elite Frosh. Awesome.

Hope by now we realize our offense should create isolation mis-matches with Wesley. He's too darn smooth, smart, and good of a slasher not to create plays. I noticed vs WSU we did just that on our rotations. More of this. His entire family and friend base will be in attendance as well.

Wiltjer is Wiltjer. A scorer and pretty clutch too. He could have a big game as well or be swallowed up depending who guards him. I'd like to see him be more physical this game to draw fouls vs their bigs. He surprisingly well versed at drawing fouls, and solid FT shooter, do it more.

I would love to see the same GBJ we saw vs Arizona. In fact, it may be necessary given Pangos play of late.

Should be a GREAT game. I don't see either team blowing the other team out. On neutral court, Zags win by 8-10. On UCLA's home court, I feel this comes down to the wire, if not extra minutes again.

I will be in attendance and cheering them on!

Such a good post.

I agree with all of it, or near all of it.

I agree we coasted against WSU, but I just can't get on them too much about that. The human mind is just a funny thing in terms of its ability with motivation matching effort. Plus, I'd bet they were worn down mentally from the intensity of AZ.

We got by them, so, ok - but now it is time to use that pain from AZ to make a statement against UCLA. Similar to last weekend. Big high profile game, prime-time on ESPN, the last real chance for a statement, critical to how we're viewed nationally. If we lose, we're down to 15 or so and the talk gets deafening about how we "can't win the big one." We could get back into the top 10 eventually over the season, but I doubt over 5. And that puts the 1 seed out of the question IMHO.

And I think the team knows that. I know Few knows that. The key is using that knowledge for motivation to "bring it" as you say, on defense. The counter to that is we need to relax and not play tight offensively. Tough balance. We can definitely lose this game, but I have the feeling we'll win it. We're just too stacked this year. We must keep in mind, we blew the doors off Texas - had their guys tweeting, "Zags are loaded." So, one OT loss at AZ doesn't change that much. I never really believed we'd beat AZ - check my prediction, AZ by 4. Not saying I'm a great analyst, I just have a feeling we pull this one out by four or five.

MDABE80
12-13-2014, 12:17 AM
As with last week, I'm thinking we must get out fast, quiet the crowd and be up by 10 by the half. In the 2nd half they'll wilt. Keep up defense and steady offensive pressure. Refs likel will matter. UCLA getting beat at home is a big chore. If the game is called without interference. we have a good chance. Their defense isn't very good but to capitalize on that. the kids need to make shots...a lot of shots. Kevin and Gary need to hit those 3's. Wesley will be an asset i every phase but not from 3 land.
Their bigs worry me. Lots of shot blocks from the main two.
Keep em busy on de fense .....we'll win this. We fall behind or if the refs get creative, we'll be in a nailbiter to the end.
Coaching edge: Few.especially in the 2nd half. He's become very good at figuring things out for the 2nd half.

Zagger
12-13-2014, 04:35 AM
I am sorry for you, but I thought it was an afternoon game, so glad for me. Get some syrup of ipacac (be sneaky), then you can actually puke and have an excuse to stay home!
I'm sure I won't be the only Zag Nut at the party. I just hope the ones I know well that are big Zags fans too are there. I can remember at least 3 more of these past events being on Zag game nights and we managed to either have a TV on or spread the score quickly. The shindig starts early so - should be home by halftime.
I've got a feeling that this game vs UCLA is going to be a good, if not great, Zag win. As has been said, Wesley has quite a bit of experience playing them and can score on them. Sabonis has got to play smart and avoid being put into compromising positions where a trigger happy zebra can have a field day. Sabonis can pass well so i hope with his experience so far that he can not only keep up his high in hoop % but also keep an eye out for where his teammates are at. If the Zags can pass + keep TOs at a bare minimum, I think they're too much for this UCLA bunch. I also suspect we'll see KP playing at par or better. He's smart, quite good and a passionate Zag. We may see some of the best Pangos play yet this evening. This game is really a big one for the team - for Few too. I expect to see a culmination of what the Zags are all about in this game. All guns will be brought to bear on the Bruins .... and the Zags have quite an arsenal. Go Zags!

Reborn
12-13-2014, 07:16 AM
Good morning, ZagNation. IT'S GAMEDAY! AND A BIG ONE TOO. Stay busy today, and stay relaxed. Do some Christmas shopping. Go to your grandkids' games. Play tennis or golf if you're lucky. Watch some other games on TV. There are a lot of good one's today. But make sure you safe enough energy for the Gonzaga game tonight because it's good to be a rock 'em sock 'em affair.

The bottom line, imo, is that the Zags will get 'er done tonight. They'll figure out a way. They are "that good." We have enough weapons to break through any defense that UCLA will build against us. Some people who post here believe that UCLA is the second best team in the PAC 12. I do not. Utah and the UW,at least to this point, are better. I'd be more concerned if we were playing one of those two teams today at their homes. Yes, winning on the road is tough, and it's going to be a tough game. But in the end, the scoring margin is not that important when you play on the road. All that is needed is a W, as one poster said. "Just do it" as Nike says. What I like to say is....

Go Zags!!!

DADoZAG
12-13-2014, 09:14 AM
Although it's been a beautiful symphony, it's time to jump out of the orchestra pit and onto the main stage.

There is no longer apprehension, there is confidence.

There is no longer a concern for who the opponent is, what that program has done, seen, been through.

This is the time to smell the victory at the door going in, to seize the victory and hold it tight, and then to prepare for the next as if you've done it before...

...because you have.

#IBTWWW

#ZAGUP

and Go ZAGS!

ZagsGoZags
12-13-2014, 02:05 PM
I haven't seen anybody post the betting line in Vegas on this game ....
I imagine we are picked to win by 4 or so

RenoZag
12-13-2014, 02:19 PM
I haven't seen anybody post the betting line in Vegas on this game ....
I imagine we are picked to win by 4 or so

http://www.docsports.com/college-basketball-lines.html

Zags are giving 5.5 to 6 points, depending on the book. Over/Under is 145.5 or 146

basketballzag
12-13-2014, 02:33 PM
Angel Nunez will be a force tonight. He appears to match up very well for a breakout performance.

maynard g krebs
12-13-2014, 02:39 PM
Line in Seattle times today is Zags by 3. Zags 75-71 if Pangos is functional; hard to win if he isn't. With pac 12 refs, double digit win is much less likely than a loss. Gonna have to hit jumpers at the end of the game; too risky to count on block fouls not being called charges late on the road.

DixieZag
12-13-2014, 03:06 PM
Line in Seattle times today is Zags by 3. Zags 75-71 if Pangos is functional; hard to win if he isn't. With pac 12 refs, double digit win is much less likely than a loss. Gonna have to hit jumpers at the end of the game; too risky to count on block fouls not being called charges late on the road.

Sounds right. Makes me nervous. Just hope the guys get a hot start and are playing inspired/angry after the loss. Perhaps Michigan's loss by 30 or whatever helps them feel confident and angry?

Any idea why the line is different in SeaTim versus the Vegas ones posted above?

Pangos likely is the key. And, I don't feel confident he'll be well enough to really be effective.