PDA

View Full Version : Karno Blowing Up

DixieZag
12-10-2014, 08:54 PM
So that happened.

We can be so good, iffffffff

seacatfan
12-10-2014, 09:07 PM
Follows up a good showing against Arizona with a really strong game against the Cougs. Maybe his slow start to this season was related to the death of his aunt and uncle as I've seen referenced a couple times. Good to see the big fella playing well.

Birddog
12-10-2014, 09:09 PM
I'll be curious to see how many assists he got tonight. His passes were as deadly as his shooting.

Zagdawg
12-10-2014, 09:10 PM
ESPN credits him with 3---it seemed like more than that.

Marcus
12-10-2014, 09:13 PM
I'll be curious to see how many assists he got tonight. His passes were as deadly as his shooting.

He was making all the right decisions tonight. Looked confident and very aggressive in all aspects. Went hard after the boards even after a miss. Keep it up big guy, and keep building on this game.

DixieZag
12-10-2014, 09:16 PM
I mentioned in the other thread, I think Sabonis might be pushing him in all the positive ways. He sees a guy nominally from his area of the world, comes in with all confidence and aggressiveness and Karno says "me, too." I think it's great.

Plus, it is a good point about getting over the deaths in the family. I remember thinking that he looked down the first couple of games.

He looked so confident tonight, even when he went to the line, his body language, all of it.

Marcus
12-10-2014, 09:23 PM
Great point about Domas pushing him. Gives him some motivation to keep his starting job. He sees Sabonis and how confident he is and says I can play that way too and need to to keep up.

Love the fact that he's played well back to back. Start of something good.

Birddog
12-10-2014, 09:25 PM
2 for 3 at the line i believe too.

hooter73
12-10-2014, 09:33 PM
Hard to figure he only had three assists. Pretty sure he was getting winded near the end but dang, what a showing!

mendiant
12-10-2014, 09:51 PM
Great game for Karno...so happy for him!!!

zagamatic
12-10-2014, 10:05 PM
Really happy to see him so confident tonight. Was worried that he may have lost some with him not playing as much towards the end of the Arizona game. I loved his dunk tonight and would like to see him slam it home more often.

Baseline
12-10-2014, 10:31 PM
This is the Shem I have been waiting to see and why I was hard on him initially as I knew this game was in here. I love Wesley's IQ, when Shem would get the ball and start backing in the weak side would try to come over to help cut him off, Westley would cut the baseline and PK was starting to hit him. In these situations the middle is open so KW or Domas could cut through for another possibility. Domas would have been open several times if he had moved like Wesley. Some real future possibilities.

Mantua
12-10-2014, 10:51 PM
This is the Shem I have been waiting to see and why I was hard on him initially as I knew this game was in here. I love Wesley's IQ, when Shem would get the ball and start backing in the weak side would try to come over to help cut him off, Westley would cut the baseline and PK was starting to hit him. In these situations the middle is open so KW or Domas could cut through for another possibility. Domas would have been open several times if he had moved like Wesley. Some real future possibilities..

Doubling on Shem just doesn't pay off well with this team. Kyle, Domas and Wesley are right there.

jim77
12-10-2014, 11:58 PM
The big guy has 2 nice games in a row...great passing. too. I kinda like to seeing BOTH Sabonis and PK out there at the same time. At first I thought there would be a foul risk doing it...now I believe it actually protects Both of them. The other team can't isolate 1 when the other is in...great tandem.

GonzagasaurusFlex
12-11-2014, 07:06 AM
. Doubling on Shem just doesn't pay off well with this team. Kyle, Domas and Wesley are right there.

Great game tonight from Shem...a 'point center' a la Marc Gasol at times.
My two favorite dimes he dished:
1) When Wazzu cut the lead to 62-53 in 2nd half, Zags got it inside to PK on their next possession. He held the ball in the post, read the defense, then snapped a pass out to KW who knocked down the 3....would-be comeback thwarted, double digit lead extended from there.

2) Not sure when this was, but I loved when Shem hit a baseline cutting Wesley with a high bounce pass that BW caught in stride for a reverse layup...very pretty play.

gonzagafan62
12-11-2014, 07:11 AM
I loved what he said about his free throws on the Mark Few Show this past week. He said he has been working on it tremendously, and that it will come around. He seems more confident when talking about free throws now. I think his 2-3 performance (was that right? I do know he made two in a row.....) is indicative on whats to come. Not a 80% FT shooter, but maybe, just maybe can he make it to 60%? That would be pretty nice....

Karno is turning into the player we all want him to.

Way to go Shem!

cjm720
12-11-2014, 07:21 AM
2) was filthy, gflex. He's a great passing player, let alone center.

Goshzagit
12-11-2014, 07:25 AM
at least he's finding that out on his own. "If the best defensive team in country can't stop me, who can?"

positive reinforcement. friendly competition.

Wanted in on all the buzz Sabonis has been receiving...esp by Coach Few himself.

motivating one another.

teammates looking for him to score and pass.

its working.

Sabonis passing has been a bit black-hole-ish last few games. he'll come around as well.

Smash Bros.

CdAZagFan
12-11-2014, 07:37 AM
Great passing. He's also slowly started to add that elbow jumper into his options and now if he can start hitting his free throws - could be very well rounded by end of season!

hooter73
12-11-2014, 07:55 AM
I loved his dunk tonight and would like to see him slam it home more often.

My dad and I were talking about that during the game. With his height and arms, he should only need about a 6 inch vertical to dunk it. Positioning and off balance play obviously doesnt allow for that option every play but I still believe its a mental thing to finish strong each and every time. He doesnt need the run up or to gather himself to spring, and I'm not saying to dunk it for the show of it, but we've seen him be blocked enough times on lay in attempts and knowing it is not a far away thing for him to dunk the ball, its just a better percentage shot to get up (again, when you can) and stuff it.

bballbeachbum
12-11-2014, 08:29 AM
in the first half, Kent did not bring any double teams to the post, no matter which Zag posted up. All found success down there but Shem was literally unstoppable. Zags only attempted three 3 pointers in the half as a result, they went to Shem over and over and over again and he delivered. Second half Kent tried bringing the weak side wing to double, the weak side post, even went back to no help in the post...none of it worked. Shem was patient and confident in reading the D and exploiting the holes. Wesley gets a big tip of the cap too; once Kent started doubling, Wesley's off the ball movement and intelligent cuts sliced up that D. I'm not worried about the apparent lack of guard production because against Kent's D he dared the Zags to go into our strengths in the paint, and he paid the price for that.

like we've all been saying and aware of, it's a pick your poison thing defending the Zags this year. I expect teams to try and get our bigs in foul trouble early to level the playing field while pressuring the perimeter players and forcing them to drive to not allow 3 point dominance, but they'll need better post players to do it than what WSU could offer. we'll see

jazzdelmar
12-11-2014, 08:34 AM
A plus gm for Karno....UCLA's Looney will prob square off vs KW and DS, so maybe another big one coming. Alford's kid can go off for 30, esp vs Zags traditional 3 pt D.....gotta find him. Better stroker than even Haws.

raise the zag
12-11-2014, 08:46 AM
A plus gm for Karno....UCLA's Looney will prob square off vs KW and DS, so maybe another big one coming. Alford's kid can go off for 30, esp vs Zags traditional 3 pt D.....gotta find him. Better stroker than even Haws.

UCLA should be performing better given their talent.

Still believe they are the 2nd best team we'll face all season. They have shooters(Alford), play-makers(Powell), shot-blockers(Looney), rebounders(Parker), and athleticism all around. Their 3 frosh bigs were all 4 and 5 star recruits as well.

Will need our A-game to win, imho.

While Looney may be matched up on Wiltjer, they still have underrated Tony Parker (6'9", 265lbs), nearly averaging a double-double to defend and score with size.

The Bruins are the type of team you watch their replays of games and presume they are up by 20! Dunks, swishes, blocks, sweet moves, only to see they are down 5-10 points sometimes.

Dangerous team.

If they play inspired and most likely will -- Pavilion is SOLD OUT -- they can play with anyone.

They started this season ranked #21 for a reason. Talent. They have 3 players who average over 15 ppg, so again, will have to bring our best defense to So Cal.

I'd like to see Domas mix it up more, Byron play well as he's been doing vs his former Pac 12 foes, and Pangos to play defense vs Alford. Since GBJ will be guarding the size, speed, strength of Norman Powell, UCLA's leading scorer.

I feel a tougher test than we're realizing.

An interesting note: UCLA doesn't start a single player that wasn't rated in the Top-75, nor under 4 stars.

Both of their starting C and PF were ranked in Top-30 as well.

Talk about doing less with more.

Mr Vulture
12-11-2014, 08:50 AM
Let me start by saying I really like Karnowski and he had a great game. With that said, let's remember WSU has NOTHING inside so he was expected to go off. In any case, I like to see him playing better as the season goes on...just think competition was the conduit for this game.

seacatfan
12-11-2014, 09:26 AM
a
Sabonis passing has been a bit black-hole-ish last few games. he'll come around as well.

I definitely noticed that last night.

kitzbuel
12-11-2014, 09:55 AM
I definitely noticed that last night.

I think the secret is out and teams know they have to game plan for Sabonis now. Things are not going to come easy any more so he is going to have to develop his play to counter their game plans. He probably never had to deal with that in Spain because he was not a marquee player at Malaga. He is at GU.

rennis
12-11-2014, 10:41 AM
2) was filthy, gflex. He's a great passing player, let alone center.

ditto. that was awesome.

DixieZag
12-11-2014, 12:53 PM
Question to those that know - - Will UCLA double team him?

And, yes, it was WSU, but Karno has never let bad teams keep him from lack of aggression in the past. I think we're seeing a new, more confident and more aggressive Karno - and I think it is directly related to seeing how it worked for Domas.

gonzagafan62
12-11-2014, 01:01 PM

And, yes, it was WSU, but Karno has never let bad teams keep him from lack of aggression in the past. I think we're seeing a new, more confident and more aggressive Karno - and I think it is directly related to seeing how it worked for Domas.

They are great competition for each other. I do think we will see some defensive double teams AT TIMES. IF they do that too much, we will kill them.

gonzagafan62
12-11-2014, 01:03 PM

Parker will be devoured by Karnowski, unless he gets lots of help, and maybe even if he does get lots of help.

I just saw that on the UCLA Boards....

http://www.bruinzone.com/b12/messages/44768.shtml

DixieZag
12-11-2014, 01:10 PM
Parker will be devoured by Karnowski, unless he gets lots of help, and maybe even if he does get lots of help.

I just saw that on the UCLA Boards....

http://www.bruinzone.com/b12/messages/44768.shtml

OMFGZ! A classy team like UCLA uses the same forum structure as the Highlighter spill at USF? How does that happen. Man, we've already got them beat in a lot of ways.

Zagger
12-11-2014, 04:11 PM

And Yes again. But, what I saw of Mt. K playing Arizona last season is what I saw in the last two games - a player taking initiative to do ore than his basic role. I'm sure Domas is a factor - as well as how Shemmick feels about his Zag family. He's out to defend Zag bros & Zag honor. The kid's heart is bigger than he is. He's now also learning that he's intimidating an he's using that to his advantage. He's also learning the game more and more and is now capable of noticing + taking advantage of other scoring possibilities. I also feel Wesley, as others have noted, is a huge asset when PK is double teamed. Wesley reminds me of how Morrison used timing - letting the opposing players make their moves then moving accordingly to take advantage of their positioning and direction of movement. Wesley ends up in the right place at the right time much like Adam did. Anywho, koolaid or no koolaid, I'm VERY impressed with this Zag bunch. I see them improving bit by bit and my hunch is that improvement will accelerate via feeding off of one another's talents, friendships and dedication to the team.

sittingon50
12-11-2014, 08:20 PM
OMFGZ! A classy team like UCLA uses the same forum structure as the Highlighter spill at USF? How does that happen. Man, we've already got them beat in a lot of ways.

And I thought dawns MENTAL was unreadable!!

upan8th
12-12-2014, 10:14 AM
Imagine what Shem and Dom could do if they had right hands. No, I mean if they actually had use of their right hands to play basketball.

ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta
12-12-2014, 10:36 AM
Imagine what Shem and Dom could do if they had right hands. No, I mean if they actually had use of their right hands to play basketball.

Against WSU Sabonis finished at the rim in what I consider to be his best offensive move of the year. DS finished with his right hand. First DS got solid position in the right block, he then did a pump fake up and under and finished with a right handed layup. The announcers I recall were super impressed also with the move. Still needs more polishing but it will come.

Bogozags
12-12-2014, 10:39 AM

Ok, we have to understand that left handed players don't need to learn to use their off/right hand until their senior year, because that is how long it took Sam Dower to be proficient...now that I've said that, PK did used his right hand against WSU on a nice cross-over so maybe he has a senior mind set...lol

Reborn
12-12-2014, 10:49 AM
Karno is definitely improving, game by game. And that's great. He will have a good match-up tomorrow against Parker who is 6' 9" and weighs 260. Can Parker guard him one on one? I think for Karno to stay out of foul trouble will be a big factor tomorrow. PLay smart on defense Zags. UCLA is going to try to get us in foul trouble. Let's decide to reverse that. Let's get them in foul trouble. Let's put them on the pine. Attack them often and with poise. And hit them Free Throws.

Go Zags!!!

SteelZag
12-12-2014, 11:40 AM
Ok, we have to understand that left handed players don't need to learn to use their off/right hand until their senior year, because that is how long it took Sam Dower to be proficient...now that I've said that, PK did used his right hand against WSU on a nice cross-over so maybe he has a senior mind set...lol

If either learn to use their right hand I'm afraid neither will see their senior year!:roll:

HillBillyZag
12-12-2014, 03:28 PM
The way I see it, every one of our non-starting Guards would be starters on many pretty good Div. 1 Teams. Nobody in the U.S. is deeper at this Position.

maynard g krebs
12-12-2014, 06:21 PM
If either learn to use their right hand I'm afraid neither will see their senior year!:roll:

How often did we see Calvary, Turiaf, Violette or anybody else use their left? Why is there a different standard for lefties using their right? Discrimination, I tell ya!

DixieZag
12-12-2014, 08:16 PM
How often did we see Calvary, Turiaf, Violette or anybody else use their left? Why is there a different standard for lefties using their right? Discrimination, I tell ya!

As a lefty, I applaud your courage in standing up for the consistently maligned but silently strong lefties scattered over the globe. We shall overcome, just the moment they make a pencil and paper that doesn't black out our left hand.

sittingon50
12-12-2014, 09:57 PM
As a lefty, I applaud your courage in standing up for the consistently maligned but silently strong lefties scattered over the globe. We shall overcome, just the moment they make a pencil and paper that doesn't black out our left hand.

Preach it, brother!!

maynard g krebs
12-13-2014, 05:55 PM

How bout those little half sized school desks with the arm rest for the right arm only, and the desk portion only on the right side? I should have sued for torture. Your arm sure got tired and sore using those things. Or am I dating myself? Don't know if they even have those things any more.

I think they were part of a righthanded plot to weaken us and "level the playing field", due to the innate intellectual superiority of the left handed.

gonzagabasketball
12-13-2014, 06:06 PM
I believe it has less to do with what hand a players shoots with, and more to do with which way their move takes them. The most effective post players have moves that go over either shoulder. A guy like Karno would be unstoppable if he could drop step, turn around, or up and under either left or right, even if every shot occurs with his left hand.