PDA

View Full Version : Your ESPNU announcers for WSU/Gonzaga

CDC84
12-10-2014, 09:27 AM
Greg Heister and Stan Heath

149th meeting between the Cougs and Zags tonight.

Zag365
12-10-2014, 09:41 AM
Low budget call by ESPN

gonzagafan62
12-10-2014, 09:45 AM
Greg Heister? Really? This is going to be a weird freakin day isn't it....

LongIslandZagFan
12-10-2014, 10:02 AM
Oh, come on, ESPN games are supposed to be a respite from Heister.

WBM
12-10-2014, 10:38 AM
Great for Heister. I hope he brings a really solid commentary, and perhaps a little bit more leash. Great opportunity for him.

VinnyZag
12-10-2014, 10:45 AM
Interesting. So for some of these games, ESPN just hires local "talent" instead of bringing in their own guy. I hadn't seen that before.

Marcus
12-10-2014, 10:59 AM
I don't mind him sometimes. Hated the dynamic with Ehlo, they just were too goofy. Like him when he's with fox alone, seems less likely to go on tangents. When DD is with them, I just get the impression he's a little star struck with Dan. He seems like he is trying to hard to be funny or whatever to get Dan's approval. Like he really wants to "fit in" with the cool guy. It will be interesting to see what happens tonight with someone he's never worked with before.

sittingon50
12-10-2014, 11:17 AM
[QUOTE=CDC84;1058648]Greg Heister and Stan Heath

Wow. To both.

Going to be a lot of dead air (even when someone is talking).

gonzagafan62
12-10-2014, 11:18 AM
[QUOTE=CDC84;1058648]Greg Heister and Stan Heath

Wow. To both.

Going to be a lot of dead air (even when someone is talking).

The mute button still works I guess?.... I might wanna see if my remote does that too.

RenoZag
12-10-2014, 12:59 PM
In the early 70's, when the Oakland A's were making an uninterrupted run to the playoffs and World Series, NBC would have the team play by play broadcasters do several innings of the national telecast. The A's had a guy named Monte Moore who was the biggest homer there ever was and who was rat bast@@d owner Charlie Finley's puppet. When Moore called local TV and radio broadcasts for the A's, all of the "bad" calls went against the Athletics, no third baseman was as good as Sal Bando ( Brooks Robinson fans would disagree), Joe Rudi was the greatest left-fielder in history, and so on.

When Moore had his moment on the NBC stage, he called an even, neutral game, gave credit to both sides, etc. For all of his "homerism," he was a professional broadcaster who understood he was speaking to a different constituency.

I would bet Mr. Heister will do likewise. Good luck to him tonight.

kyle dixon
12-10-2014, 01:03 PM
Greg Heiser, "It's time to strap one on!" I will never forget this :)

jayray
12-10-2014, 01:13 PM
Anyone have two extra tickets?

sittingon50
12-10-2014, 01:41 PM
:lmao:

billyberu
12-10-2014, 01:44 PM
Glad I wasn't the only one who heard that.

LongIslandZagFan
12-10-2014, 01:48 PM
In the early 70's, when the Oakland A's were making an uninterrupted run to the playoffs and World Series, NBC would have the team play by play broadcasters do several innings of the national telecast. The A's had a guy named Monte Moore who was the biggest homer there ever was and who was rat bast@@d owner Charlie Finley's puppet. When Moore called local TV and radio broadcasts for the A's, all of the "bad" calls went against the Athletics, no third baseman was as good as Sal Bando ( Brooks Robinson fans would disagree), Joe Rudi was the greatest left-fielder in history, and so on.

When Moore had his moment on the NBC stage, he called an even, neutral game, gave credit to both sides, etc. For all of his "homerism," he was a professional broadcaster who understood he was speaking to a different constituency.

So what you are saying is... if he does a good enough job he'll get called up to the bigs and free us?

DixieZag
12-10-2014, 02:29 PM

Fun post, Reno.

And I agree, on a shorter leash, Heister will likely do well, i.e. be basically unnoticeable - the perfect play by play guy.

Plus, it's against the Cougs, so he'll have some knowledge on them, too. Less Zag Centric.

gozagswoohoo
12-10-2014, 02:57 PM

HAHAHAHAHA

Did the other announcer laugh?? Or say anything? haha.

seacatfan
12-10-2014, 03:16 PM

As bad as that sounds, the all time worst was when Rudy Gay was at UConn and Rick Majerus was calling games. Majerus was a big fan of Gay, but some of the things that came out of his mouth just sounded wrong. One of them was "I'm a big Gay guy." There was another one even worse, I'm not going to write it but it had to do with that player driving into the lane. There's another word for that in basketball. Given the player's surname, it shouldn't have been uttered in that combination on the air. I can't unhear that, years later it's still embedded in my mind.

seacatfan
12-10-2014, 03:19 PM
Is Stan Heath the former coach at Arkansas and a couple other stops? If so, didn't realize he ended up doing broadcasting.

CDC84
12-10-2014, 03:31 PM
Yep. Most recently he coached at South FLA.

seacatfan
12-10-2014, 03:39 PM
Yep. Most recently he coached at South FLA.

That's right, USF after he washed out at Arkansas. Did he get started at Kent St.? Took KSU to a Sweet 16 or Elite 8, eventually became the latest flash in the pan mid major coach to fizzle out once he moved up to the big leagues. USC's Enfield might soon be added to that long, inglorious list.

Birddog
12-10-2014, 04:47 PM

I'm laughing all over again. That one was a beaut for sure. That would make a good sign for the Kennel Club for tonight's contest. Beuler? Beuler? Anyone?

zag buddy
12-10-2014, 05:43 PM
Hopefully this is an example of the peter principle and he will keep getting promoted and let us be free of him.

RenoZag
12-10-2014, 06:34 PM
So what you are saying is... if he does a good enough job he'll get called up to the bigs and free us?

We can only hope and pray. . .

RenoZag
12-10-2014, 06:39 PM
As bad as that sounds, the all time worst was when Rudy Gay was at UConn and Rick Majerus was calling games. Majerus was a big fan of Gay, but some of the things that came out of his mouth just sounded wrong. One of them was "I'm a big Gay guy." There was another one even worse, I'm not going to write it but it had to do with that player driving into the lane. There's another word for that in basketball. Given the player's surname, it shouldn't have been uttered in that combination on the air. I can't unhear that, years later it's still embedded in my mind.

That happened in Dec. 2007. Majerus was actually in the ESPN studio. . .Steve Lavin was sitting next to Majerus. The camera caught Lavin trying to keep his composure. . .he was not succeeding. . .as the link below will show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RXaERVhNuU

SteelZag
12-10-2014, 07:38 PM

Does it rhyme with "bloat?"

RenoZag
12-10-2014, 07:50 PM
Gay takes it to the hole ?

seacatfan
12-10-2014, 07:52 PM
That happened in Dec. 2007. Majerus was actually in the ESPN studio. . .Steve Lavin was sitting next to Majerus. The camera caught Lavin trying to keep his composure. . .he was not succeeding. . .as the link below will show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RXaERVhNuU

Oh, my bad. I guess Majerus declared he was not a big Gay guy. Yeah, Lavin was trying hard to not lose it there.

seacatfan
12-10-2014, 07:55 PM
Even worse guys. Rhymes with recrimination.

Rbo
12-10-2014, 10:03 PM
Not sure if I've heard Stan Heath before, but I thought he was solid.

ZagaZags
12-10-2014, 10:07 PM
Heister said Josh Perkins broke his jaw vs Saint John's ? You would think he would know better.

Zagdawg
12-10-2014, 10:07 PM
Heister didn't laugh at Heath when he brought up A. Sabonis being a good player.

Birddog
12-10-2014, 10:08 PM
I loved it when Heath said Arvidas probably would be discussed as one of the all time bests if he had played his whole career in the NBA. Heister curiously went silent.

RenoZag
12-10-2014, 10:16 PM
Craig Ehlo sighting too. . .

DixieZag
12-10-2014, 10:18 PM
Credit where due. I only heard the last 10 minutes but I thought he was excellent.

CDC84
12-10-2014, 10:21 PM
I have to say that Heister is more tolerable when paired with someone else besides Fox and Dickau.

ZagLawGrad
12-10-2014, 10:21 PM
I have to say that Heister is more tolerable when paired with someone else besides Fox and Dickau.

Agree with that

sittingon50
12-11-2014, 12:30 AM
Not sure if I've heard Stan Heath before, but I thought he was solid.

Yeah, that was my bad earlier. Confused him with the old USC Coach Stan Morrison. Have seen him (Morrison) do some WCC games in Cali. & was not impressed.

My apologies to Coach Heath, his family & friends.

Sarenyon
12-11-2014, 03:24 AM
Heister did very well. I think he had a shorter leash to work with being a ESPN-U game and nationally televised. Good job Greg.

Rangerzag
12-11-2014, 04:17 AM
I loved it when Heath said Arvidas probably would be discussed as one of the all time bests if he had played his whole career in the NBA. Heister curiously went silent.

I thought it was hilarious.

LongIslandZagFan
12-11-2014, 05:36 AM
If Heister called the games the way he called that one... nobody would complain. Hope he reads that post. He was beyond tolerable... he ventured into the good territory.

jazzdelmar
12-11-2014, 05:42 AM
I thought I heard him praise Arvydas to the hilt, almost embarrassingly so. He was OK, a solid B. Game was a drag, for the most part. He did oscillate now and then back to his Spokane Chamber of Commerce speak, you know, the falls, downtown...But Walton does worse than that with his in-game travelogues cum acid trips :).......

Ekrub
12-11-2014, 06:10 AM
I thought I heard him praise Arvydas to the hilt, almost embarrassingly so. He was OK, a solid B. Game was a drag, for the most part. He did oscillate now and then back to his Spokane Chamber of Commerce speak, you know, the falls, downtown...But Walton does worse than that with his in-game travelogues cum acid trips :).......

Walton and heister would be a riot.

LongIslandZagFan
12-11-2014, 06:35 AM

I see your Walton and raise you an Ehlo... Heister/Walton/Ehlo.... I think the world might actually stop spinning if that happened.

Birddog
12-11-2014, 06:54 AM
Greg did a fine job last night. It just goes to show you that he has what it takes and that as the professional he should not be leading Fox and Dickau down those yellow brick roads to silliness and Jr HS humor. I hold him more responsible now than I did before.

sittingon50
12-11-2014, 12:11 PM

I had never thought of that one, rub. Should pair them in an expected blowout. Walton would be goin' off on tangents; bet Heister would laugh his way thru the entire game. No Play by play needed.

I LIKE IT!!!

:roll:

Billfish'80
12-11-2014, 05:03 PM
I think this Saturday would be a perfect time to pair Heister and Walton, being a Bruin himself. That would make for some fun commentaries and rebuttles from both sides (if not a brawl on camera:boxing:). I actuall think Greg did a good job last night. Ive seen many of the fly fishing shows he has done, and think he did an excellent job with those, as well as the Mark few shows he hosts. He's just not a good play-by-play guy. He doesn't get off on tangents when his lines are scripted and he's narating about a subject ha has knowledge and experience with. For P-by-P I don't know that you could get better than Hudson. He's an under-appreciated gem for P-by-P, in my book.