PDA

View Full Version : Wazzu

Zagger
12-09-2014, 03:07 AM
A look at Wazzu's Schedule/Resuts shows 5 wins / 4 losses. Of their wins they've averaged scoring in the 80s. The lowest score they've been held to in a loss is 43 (in a 71/43 game w/ UC Santa Barbara in the Great Alaska Shootout). Looks like they had a fun OT win against Missouri State 89-84 also in Alaska. Since then they've had a close loss of 77-71 and a big win of 91-71.

I've not been following the Cougs but I'd say they can score and they can win. Wednesday's matchup in the Spokane Arena could be interesting. I have no doubt the Zags will prevail but it looks like it could be a pretty darn good game. I hope both teams put on a great showing of what they can do. Go Zags! And Go Cougs too!

RenoZag
12-09-2014, 04:41 AM
Does anyone know what the expected turnout at the Arena will be for the game ? Given the match-up, should the attendance match or exceed the projected Battle In Seattle gate ?

Beat Waah-Zooo !!

Reborn
12-09-2014, 05:37 AM
I read here yesterday it was sold out.

jbslicer
12-09-2014, 05:55 AM
250 tickets are available this morning at ticketswest.com. They go on sale at 10am.

Reborn
12-09-2014, 06:15 AM
I love this game every year. I always will. This rivalry goes back to forever. Let's keep this game in the future. There are too many great memories over the years to give up this rivalry. I played in two games against the Cougars and will remember them with pride all the days of my life. Two players on the WSU team were also from Yakima; so it did have special meaning. I remember when I was a freshmen, and played on the freshmen team, sitting in the stands and witnessed the greatest game I had ever seen up to that point in my life. The Zag team was the 1966-67 team with Gary Lechman, Paz Roacha, Larry Brown, ect ect. Kennedy was packed and the noise was so fantastic, and I was in awe of college basketball. The student body had these wooden blocks that they would hit together in unison during a cheer. The sound that those blocks made was so awesome. It had to be because I still remember it so well, as if I had been there yesterday. That Gonzaga team had the kind of chemistry that Zag fans see today. It was beautiful.

I hope others can share a special memory that you have of one of the games. Sharing them here on the GUBoard with us makes this game special.

Go Zags!!!

LongIslandZagFan
12-09-2014, 08:47 AM
WSU's wins are against teams with losing records. They have losses against teams with losing records.

Just pointing that out.

Scores are in the 80s because of the level of teams they have been playing.

From what I can see... WSU is in for a very very long P12 season.

Oh, and wait, there is still a Great Alaska Shoot-out???

Mr Vulture
12-09-2014, 09:02 AM
I have watched three WSU games and I will tell you, without reservation, they will lose by at least 20pts. Ernie Kent has them playing better each game but they literally have no one that can matchup with Gonzaga inside. Their entire game is outside shooting, when they win, they shoot lights out...if they make a normal percentage they lose. They have some young guards that should be good in time and they have Lacy who is the key to the team. I imagine that we will focus on Lacy and limit what he does. Their one "big" guy that can play is Josh Hawkinson but he is more of a midrange big than inside guy. He's been going for double doubles most of the season even though he didn't start until somewhere around game four of the year.

In any case, I think the Zags win this game like 90-65 or so....

Zagger
12-09-2014, 02:16 PM
250 tickets are available this morning at ticketswest.com. They go on sale at 10am.
Wonder if they opened up another section of seating ????
It will be sweet to have double the crowd of a Kennel game! If I remember correctly the capacity is around 12,000 for a BB event (I could be off by 2-3K).

Reborn
12-10-2014, 05:27 AM
It's GAME DAY Gonzaga fans. No day like game day when you're a Gonzaga fan. Love watchin those ZAGS. I sure am hoping to see better shooting from the outside, and I'm going to keep on hoping for that until God hears my prayer. I went to a high school game last night and saw better outside shooting there then I have seen out of the Zags lately. OMG, Zags. Hit a wide open shot. Relax. Don't make it such a big deal. I know you guys can shoot better then you have been doing. Otherwise, you'd never be playing at GU. Remember one thing, the rim is the same size as it is in high school gyms. An open shot in college is the same as an open shot in HS. Just let 'er rip, Zags. It's a lot of fun to see them 3's fallin. Good luck tonight. Have fun. There are going to be lots and lots of fans to welcome you back to Spokane tonight, and give you a big warm send off to So. Cal later in the week.

Go Zags!!!

rawkmandale
12-10-2014, 07:53 AM
Wonder if they opened up another section of seating ????
It will be sweet to have double the crowd of a Kennel game! If I remember correctly the capacity is around 12,000 for a BB event (I could be off by 2-3K).

They opened seats in Section 223. Not certain what those had been held for, but I was able to pick up two seats in Row F for $90 yesterday afternoon. I am taking my 91 year old Mom, who loves the Zags (and likes the Cougs) - early Christmas gift.

gonzagafan62
12-10-2014, 07:53 AM
WSU's wins are against teams with losing records. They have losses against teams with losing records.

Just pointing that out.

Scores are in the 80s because of the level of teams they have been playing.

From what I can see... WSU is in for a very very long P12 season.

Oh, and wait, there is still a Great Alaska Shoot-out???

I thought the same about the GAS

hooter73
12-10-2014, 08:15 AM
Their entire game is outside shooting

Well we never have trouble against that...

Zag365
12-10-2014, 08:44 AM
They opened seats in Section 223. Not certain what those had been held for, but I was able to pick up two seats in Row F for $90 yesterday afternoon. I am taking my 91 year old Mom, who loves the Zags (and likes the Cougs) - early Christmas gift.

Is there a student section for GU/KC? What is the prediction as far as ratio of GU:WSU fans?

sittingon50
12-10-2014, 10:10 AM
There is a student section & since the Zags had control of those tickets & not Tickets West I believe it will be a considerably larger contingent in the Arena than in the past. At least I observed a lot of kids hanging around after the SE La. game, as then is when they picked up those tickets.

Should be tilted heavily GU.

VinnyZag
12-10-2014, 10:19 AM
WSU's best win is against Missouri State, KenPom No. 186. They lost to Idaho, KenPom No. 241. In the WCC, only LMU has a worse Pomeroy ranking. Gonzaga should win by 30+, even if this is a rivalry game ... Though I question how much of a rivalry it really is, since so many Cougs aren't from the area anyway.

Ezag
12-10-2014, 10:37 AM
WSU seems to usually give us a good battle especially when we are good and they're bad! I will be working at this game tonight and looking forward to it and a full house

Kiddwell
12-10-2014, 01:03 PM
This fan expects us to beat 'em all bruisy and purple, which is insulting since one of UWKFC's colors is purple. In any case, remember when WSU football and basketball were really good? Hope that "goodness" returns soon.

:]

DixieZag
12-10-2014, 01:26 PM

Nice job Rawk, sounds good.

Zagger
12-10-2014, 03:50 PM

Cool on the Ma! Mine's almost as old but she's not so adventuresome these days. Prefers to drink wine with her peers over getting out and about. Kinda don't blame her - she's seen & done bunches over the years.
As for GU vs WSU fan numbers - I'll bet it will be about even. LOTS of Cougs in Spoakane - I'm one too and may wear both colors tonight - if I can find my favorite Wazzu hat!

Marcus
12-10-2014, 04:11 PM
Well we never have trouble against that...

Haha, so true. But this year seems different so far.
Closest thing was the guards from SE Louisiana, but that only lasted a half. The D was much tighter in the 2nd half.