PDA

View Full Version : Yes, the Zags lost the year's big game, but...

Malastein
12-08-2014, 10:33 PM
They proved conclusively they belonged on the same court as any of the elite teams this year. Definitely a major bummer, but that's the way it goes sometimes. Better now than early in the big tournament. This team is entirely capable of winning every other game this year, and hopefully that's what transpires. There were things working against the team before tip off with having to reset the rotation by the sudden addition of a young player to replace a young player who was just starting to get into his groove. Perhaps this game might've been different if Perkins were healthy. None of the back and forth questioning really matters, and there's a lot of unreadable threads right now. How this team responds between now and March Madness is entirely what matters to me. I want to see this team continue to progress at a faster rate than other top teams, so that they are posed to go deeper in March than ever before. The Arizona a game was good, but a heart wrenchin loss. It wasn't an end or such a big disappointment that defines the whole season.

MontanaZag
12-09-2014, 01:31 AM
Spot on!! Wonderful to read a post that does not lack perspective!

Zaglaw
12-09-2014, 06:03 AM
They proved conclusively they belonged on the same court as any of the elite teams this year. Definitely a major bummer, but that's the way it goes sometimes. Better now than early in the big tournament. This team is entirely capable of winning every other game this year, and hopefully that's what transpires. There were things working against the team before tip off with having to reset the rotation by the sudden addition of a young player to replace a young player who was just starting to get into his groove. Perhaps this game might've been different if Perkins were healthy. None of the back and forth questioning really matters, and there's a lot of unreadable threads right now. How this team responds between now and March Madness is entirely what matters to me. I want to see this team continue to progress at a faster rate than other top teams, so that they are posed to go deeper in March than ever before. The Arizona a game was good, but a heart wrenchin loss. It wasn't an end or such a big disappointment that defines the whole season.

This. Nice post.

zag67
12-09-2014, 06:49 AM
Well stated. Learn and move on. Practice hard and know that they are going to pressure you all over the court

Zagdawg
12-09-2014, 06:51 AM
Good post.

AnonAzZagTemp
12-09-2014, 07:36 AM
Here's a thought...lets just go along with the schtick that says there is some kind of "cloud of not big winning" over the Zags...and lets just imagine that it must be broken by a very close game, but before you get it you must play a very close game that "teaches" and reveals exactly what you need to do it, but you will lose the teaching game...

Now here's the question...do you lose this one to Az, or one in the tournament much later in the year?

If I had to chose a game to lose, while painful, this would be it...especially if losing gives the Zags the sharpened point that punctures that cloud later...

There's no way you guys are gonna lose in your conference, and there was probably not a better game on the schedule to sharpen the point and bring you right up to the edge like playing Az (we are notorius for either blowing things out in the perfect storm or playing it so close the fans lose all feeling in their left sides due to stroke)...

I say this was the perfect game to figure out exactly what it will take to get to the final four this season...better learn and lose here than in the first round...no way you guys do not advance in the tournament this year...not after this game.

gonzagafan62
12-09-2014, 08:00 AM
Here's a thought...lets just go along with the schtick that says there is some kind of "cloud of not big winning" over the Zags...and lets just imagine that it must be broken by a very close game, but before you get it you must play a very close game that "teaches" and reveals exactly what you need to do it, but you will lose the teaching game...

Now here's the question...do you lose this one to Az, or one in the tournament much later in the year?

If I had to chose a game to lose, while painful, this would be it...especially if losing gives the Zags the sharpened point that punctures that cloud later...

There's no way you guys are gonna lose in your conference, and there was probably not a better game on the schedule to sharpen the point and bring you right up to the edge like playing Az (we are notorius for either blowing things out in the perfect storm or playing it so close the fans lose all feeling in their left sides due to stroke)...

I say this was the perfect game to figure out exactly what it will take to get to the final four this season...better learn and lose here than in the first round...no way you guys do not advance in the tournament this year...not after this game.

100% agreed.

Like I have stated earlier this week. . . . This game does a few things:

1. Gets that silly undefeated moniker off our backs. Do I like to lose? No. But I sure don't wanna be last years Wichita State going into the tournament. That's pretty inconvenient. . .

2. Gives us something to learn. Remember Butler? After that we didn't lose again the rest of the regular season, and went on to be the #1 team in the country. Now while we probably won't rise to #1 this year, its entirely possible we don't lose again for a couple months.... (Although Reno's workplace Christmas party is Saturday, so I am not too terribly confident against UCLA, but go Zags anyway)

3. Toughness. Its very hard to win a game like that on the road. If Wiltjer makes that shot, everything is alive. But we get McClellan, and Perkins back before the year is over. Ill take it.

4. St. John's win becomes HUGE (SMU Will be nice too): What if St. John's ends up being a Top 10 team by the end of the year? We beat them in the Preseason NIT, yet nobody is giving them too much credit besides Gary Parrish and myself. The AP Poll has them 23, but really, this team is good. Who said we couldn't beat talented athletic teams again? We beat freakin St. John's. I have a funny feeling (like I said in the offseason thread, that St. John's was going to be a Top 25 team and a HUGE game. We did win basically on their home floor.

5. Other huge games we MUST win: @BYU @UCLA... Both will be fighting for tournament spots and neither is going to back down. We win both, and our resume gets better. Saint Mary's will be a nice challenge too even though I don't think they are tournament quality quite yet....

6. Sorting out the demons. A game vs Memphis. This is a good year to whack them. They have not been competitive against possible tourney teams (Wichita State, Stephen F Austin, Baylor)

We will be fine. Lets enjoy the season. This one will be just as special. Count your blessings.... Because this one is in disguise.

Go Zags!

jpwils
12-09-2014, 08:23 AM
100% agreed.

Like I have stated earlier this week. . . . This game does a few things:

1. Gets that silly undefeated moniker off our backs. Do I like to lose? No. But I sure don't wanna be last years Wichita State going into the tournament. That's pretty inconvenient. . .

2. Gives us something to learn. Remember Butler? After that we didn't lose again the rest of the regular season, and went on to be the #1 team in the country. Now while we probably won't rise to #1 this year, its entirely possible we don't lose again for a couple months.... (Although Reno's workplace Christmas party is Saturday, so I am not too terribly confident against UCLA, but go Zags anyway)

3. Toughness. Its very hard to win a game like that on the road. If Wiltjer makes that shot, everything is alive. But we get McClellan, and Perkins back before the year is over. Ill take it.

4. St. John's win becomes HUGE (SMU Will be nice too): What if St. John's ends up being a Top 10 team by the end of the year? We beat them in the Preseason NIT, yet nobody is giving them too much credit besides Gary Parrish and myself. The AP Poll has them 23, but really, this team is good. Who said we couldn't beat talented athletic teams again? We beat freakin St. John's. I have a funny feeling (like I said in the offseason thread, that St. John's was going to be a Top 25 team and a HUGE game. We did win basically on their home floor.

5. Other huge games we MUST win: @BYU @UCLA... Both will be fighting for tournament spots and neither is going to back down. We win both, and our resume gets better. Saint Mary's will be a nice challenge too even though I don't think they are tournament quality quite yet....

6. Sorting out the demons. A game vs Memphis. This is a good year to whack them. They have not been competitive against possible tourney teams (Wichita State, Stephen F Austin, Baylor)

We will be fine. Lets enjoy the season. This one will be just as special. Count your blessings.... Because this one is in disguise.

Go Zags!
Zags will get better in next game vs Arizona in March becuz:

1. McClelland is highly capable and can give Pangos much needed rest with ball-handling chores- in fact, he may tire McConnell out!
Also, Eric is 6-3 or so and can pass inside over McConnell or other guards from Zona into our bigs.

2. Perkins may come back in time- we will watch this closely. If he does, watch out! Perkins is 6-3 or so also so see above on McClelland's height advantage .

3. Next game Wesley won't go 0-3 in OT. This March will be his swan song- he will deliver when called upon!

4. Sabonis will be equivalent of EXPERIENCED SOPHOMORE- big difference!

5. Lights are coming on for Karno to take their 7 footer to the hole!

6. We couldn't possibly shoot as poorly on a neutral court from 3 -point-land next game! Add 2 more 3 point buckets to our effort and we win in regulation!

7. Melson will develop into a 3 point assassin if Bell is having an off-nite . Just one or two more 3's per game takes things in our favor!

8. Wiltjer will emerge as solid 3 point threat AND inside threat as shown earlier.

9. Nunez will be a force in some games and is athletic enough to be a factor in games like these.

10. Pangos will study tape and learn that he needs fresh legs and wind for end of game- he can either distribute or slide over and allow others to do so- one or two more Big 3 point shots at the end is all we need!

For all these reasons and more-Zags will be a major factor in March!

Go Zags!

DixieZag
12-09-2014, 08:38 AM
This team is one of the top 5 in the nation, even if we lose another game (fairly likely, given reality) - I suspect that means a 2 seed minimum, possible one depending upon what AZ does the rest of the year.

We'll be fine. Lots of moving pieces. This game wasn't a win, but next best thing - knowing they can win and should win.

Hoopaholic
12-09-2014, 08:57 AM
Zags will get better in next game vs Arizona in March becuz:

1. McClelland is highly capable and can give Pangos much needed rest with ball-handling chores- in fact, he may tire McConnell out!
Also, Eric is 6-3 or so and can pass inside over McConnell or other guards from Zona into our bigs.

2. Perkins may come back in time- we will watch this closely. If he does, watch out! Perkins is 6-3 or so also so see above on McClelland's height advantage .

3. Next game Wesley won't go 0-3 in OT. This March will be his swan song- he will deliver when called upon!

4. Sabonis will be equivalent of EXPERIENCED SOPHOMORE- big difference!

5. Lights are coming on for Karno to take their 7 footer to the hole!

6. We couldn't possibly shoot as poorly on a neutral court from 3 -point-land next game! Add 2 more 3 point buckets to our effort and we win in regulation!

7. Melson will develop into a 3 point assassin if Bell is having an off-nite . Just one or two more 3's per game takes things in our favor!

8. Wiltjer will emerge as solid 3 point threat AND inside threat as shown earlier.

9. Nunez will be a force in some games and is athletic enough to be a factor in games like these.

10. Pangos will study tape and learn that he needs fresh legs and wind for end of game- he can either distribute or slide over and allow others to do so- one or two more Big 3 point shots at the end is all we need!

For all these reasons and more-Zags will be a major factor in March!

Go Zags!

Sabonis experience by end of the year will allow him to ACTUALLY set a screen instead of anticipating the roll action which caused Pango's man not to get rubbed off on the drive to basket end of game.......these types of nuance issues are freshman learning issues and he will be ready by end of year

NotoriousZ
12-09-2014, 07:53 PM
This was a great game. I don't care that we lost, if you watched the game you would agree the Zags were the better team. The loss will keep the team hungry anyway. And since it's possible we could win out from here, I actually like the fact that we lost because you don't want that pressure on you entering the NCAA's.

No way of knowing, but if we had Perkins I think we would have won. Here's to a speedy recovery and to a great season for our boys...GO ZAGS!

RenoZag
12-09-2014, 08:16 PM
There's no way you guys are gonna lose in your conference, and there was probably not a better game on the schedule to sharpen the point and bring you right up to the edge like playing Az

I think the AZ game does give them an edge but I respectfully submit that there are games in the WCC, on the road, that GU could lose. Running the table in the WCC is never a given and I've watched too many away games where a WCC squad plays lights out and the Zags have an off night. GU has had a habit of giving up career scoring nights to the Johnny Dees and Kevin Fosters of the world; those performances don't always mean a Zags loss but some have.

Thanks for your perspective, Anon. . .have enjoyed your posts here on the GUB. Hope you stay in touch throughout the season

DixieZag
12-09-2014, 08:22 PM
I think the AZ game does give them an edge but I respectfully submit that there are games in the WCC, on the road, that GU could lose. Running the table in the WCC is never a given and I've watched too many away games where a WCC squad plays lights out and the Zags have an off night. GU has had a habit of giving up career scoring nights to the Johnny Dees and Kevin Fosters of the world; those performances don't always mean a Zags loss but some have.

Thanks for your perspective, Anon. . .have enjoyed your posts here on the GUB. Hope you stay in touch throughout the season

I agree. That's what I was referring to above. I think it is far more likely we cough up a hairball on the road to a mid-level WCC team than UCLA this week. I give you, as an example - Portland, just last year. Inexplicable. Then they desperately tried to give them the home game, too. If someone offered me one more loss this year, I'd run as fast as I could to the bank and submit the cashiers check to the tournament committee. Hoping to get a special on early orders.

Reborn
12-09-2014, 08:28 PM
I'd like to add one more thing to your list JPwils.

11. Gary Bell. I've seen a real change in his game. If the "who is the biggest surprise so far" thread had appeared right now I would vote for Bell. He's getting back to the guy who played his freshman year. He's attacking. He's pulling up, and he's nailing the 3 ball. Love his game right now.

Go Zags!!!

RenoZag
12-09-2014, 08:38 PM
I agree. That's what I was referring to above. I think it is far more likely we cough up a hairball on the road to a mid-level WCC team than UCLA this week. I give you, as an example - Portland, just last year. Inexplicable. Then they desperately tried to give them the home game, too. If someone offered me one more loss this year, I'd run as fast as I could to the bank and submit the cashiers check to the tournament committee. Hoping to get a special on early orders.

Some teams give others fits. UP last year was a good example.

UberZagFan
12-09-2014, 10:25 PM
Back to OP, yes, GU needs to move on and better to get that reality check now then in the tourney. BUT, that was a great opportunity to get a signature win against a top 25 (likely top 10) team by years end. As it stands now, there is a good chance GU's resume will read 0-1 v top 25 and 1-1 v top 50 or 2-1 v top 50.

Regardless, GU needs to learn from mistakes/errors made in the loss and that's why he doesn't have too much of a problem with all of the crazy threads over the past few day pointing out of of those issues from that game.

TravelinZag
12-10-2014, 03:16 AM
Move on, Zags, with a chip on your shoulder, teeth gritted in determination, and a new-found belief that you can win each and every game. One at a time.