PDA

View Full Version : Few's Salary

Zag 77
12-08-2014, 02:07 PM
Private school compensation survey:

Mark Few: $950,654 (base pay) plus benefits and bonuses take it up to $1.2 million

Kelly Graves was at $438,388.

Thayne McCulloh: $373,841.

http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/officehours/

GoZags
12-08-2014, 02:09 PM
Under $1m for a future Hall of Fame coach. One of the best bargains in the history of sports.

gonzagafan62
12-08-2014, 02:12 PM
Under $1m for a future Hall of Fame coach. One if the best bargains in the history of sports.

Exactly.

SWZag
12-08-2014, 02:42 PM
Under $1m for a future Hall of Fame coach. One if the best bargains in the history of sports.

Amen to that!

Dogtownkid
12-08-2014, 03:27 PM
Anyone who's been around Gonzaga for the last 15 years and who has seen the GU's growth during that time knows that Few deserves every cent of that salary. I don't think there's any doubt that the growth is the result of the popularity of the basketball team.

cjm720
12-08-2014, 03:27 PM
Wonder where Tommy is?

WBM
12-08-2014, 03:32 PM
Wonder where Tommy is?

That's what I'm wondering, too.

DixieZag
12-08-2014, 03:33 PM
Probably time for a raise.

Got to keep up with the Jones' and though I'm certain Coach is not about money, you still show the commitment by taking the initiative.

I would bet that Tommy's salary checks in at about half of that. Gotta keep him here with something.

75Zag
12-08-2014, 03:41 PM
There are a lot of good people working for and at GU - from the bottom to the top. I work with people every day that make way more than Mark Few. Mark Few offers talent and intelligence which I greatly respect. Would I respect him more if he leads GU to a National Championship? An interesting question.

Go Bulldogs!

MDABE80
12-08-2014, 03:50 PM
No offense but I don't think this is worth the powder to blow it up. What someone gets paid is kinda private. Not much to do with basketball except tangentially.......IMO.

sage
12-08-2014, 03:55 PM
No offense but I don't think this is worth the powder to blow it up. What someone gets paid is kinda private. Not much to do with basketball except tangentially.......IMO.

I agree. If you think this is a good thread, post YOUR salary....

cjm720
12-08-2014, 04:01 PM
It's published information and announced at nearly, every single head coach hire...not too private and an interesting conversation IMO.

Mantua
12-08-2014, 04:01 PM

Sports salaries are generally made public.

jazzdelmar
12-08-2014, 04:02 PM
Disagree Doc. Coaches at big time programs are public figures even if they are employed by private schools. Transparency is never a bad thing. In some conferences and particularly in FB it's often part of a very public pizzing contest and the source of pride among deep pocketed alums. GU, like it or not, is in that arena.

Section 116
12-08-2014, 04:11 PM
You might think it's private ABE but here are the salaries for almost every coach who had a team in the 2014 NCAA tournament, from USA Today research:

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach

By the way, if you work for a government agency as I did for most of my like, every salary is a matter of public record.

Vanzagger
12-08-2014, 04:34 PM
Just like with Melson, we are projecting him to be a Hall of Fame Coach. Yes it is a great value and raises will or will not be on the way.

cjm720
12-08-2014, 05:07 PM
Just like with Melson, we are projecting him to be a Hall of Fame Coach. Yes it is a great value and raises will or will not be on the way.

huh, Few is the winningest active coach there is. Melson never played and he was anointed...I'm probably not catching what you're saying...

gozagswoohoo
12-08-2014, 05:11 PM

MDABE80
12-08-2014, 05:37 PM
Well if you all think that because pieces of information should ALL be presented............just because they're available and is such high interest, you should never do business. SOme things are public but do we really have to comment on those things? I do not. Relevance to basketball is minimal. Besides, it's a cheezy approach . It's really none of our collective business.

Vanzagger
12-08-2014, 07:10 PM
huh, Few is the winningest active coach there is. Melson never played and he was anointed...I'm probably not catching what you're saying...

He is on his way. There is lots of work to be done.

vandalzag
12-08-2014, 07:44 PM

Hold on no way is Melson a Hall of Fame Coach. I mean the kid has yet to play a year of college basketball and you are putting him into the hall of fame as a coach. We should at least allow him to finish his playing career before we anoint him as a hall of fame coach. He may not even become a coach, what if he wants to become an AFLAC salesman?

jyboc
12-08-2014, 07:50 PM
Hold on no way is Melson a Hall of Fame Coach. I mean the kid has yet to play a year of college basketball and you are putting him into the hall of fame as a coach. We should at least allow him to finish his playing career before we anoint him as a hall of fame coach. He may not even become a coach, what if he wants to become an AFLAC salesman?

How many nights at a Holiday Inn will he need to get there?

coolhandzag
12-08-2014, 08:23 PM
Doesn't matter what Few makes. It appears that he and the University have an amicable agreement.

I have a couple mountain biking friends that probably won't make that much money in their lifetime. Doesn't seem to bother them.

Angelo Roncalli
12-08-2014, 09:05 PM

Touche. Nicely played.

GoZags
12-08-2014, 09:26 PM

I was referencing the recent ESPN Insider article where Few was one of 4 guys that were "locks" for the Naismith HOF.

The other 3 were Calipari, Self and Donovan.

Vanzagger
12-09-2014, 12:14 AM
and I heard the guy say it on National TV the other night. Does that mean it is a done deal? If you coach too many top 20 teams to just 1 win in the dance you might get locked out. And a couple of his round of 32 wins were scary. Like we were trying to hand it to Western Kentucky after a scare from Akron.

bartruff1
12-09-2014, 05:09 AM
The value of anything is what someone is willing to pay for it at a point in time. Markets produce efficiency not justice. Is a violin worth 45 million...is a Ferrari worth 50 million..... is a painting worth 150 million...yes...

The fact that Few makes in one year, what the average house hold makes in nearly 25 years is irrelevant . $ 23,000 a week is a lot of money.

When Babe Ruth was criticized for holding out for more than the President makes....he pointed out, that he had a better year than Hoover.

At least this is a private university and the taxpayers are not paying it, at least not directly.

I saw a table a few years ago that listed Washington State public employees salaries and the Governor was not even on the first page.

titopoet
12-09-2014, 05:19 AM
Here I thought that the post would go to him being underpaid. He makes nowhere near the income he generates for the school. As Forbes recently quoted, he is the best deal in College sports.

Few also gives back to the community and more importantly, he is not about the money, but about Gonzaga Basketball. We know this because if it was about the money, he would have been long gone to Oregon, Indiana or the many super money that has been waved under his nose.

Also, I want to point a funny thing. As reread the thread, I could not find one person arguing that he didn't deserve his salary. The arguments were against mythical people who would find it offensive. Most people understand that the value he brings to the team, the university, and community, he is worth every penny if not more. Now, others who make a whole lot more than he and actually take away from their community, that is who we should all have issues with making big bucks who occupy the shadow world Private Equity and hedge funds world, that is another story.

TacomaZAG
12-09-2014, 08:07 AM
He makes nowhere near the income he generates for the school. As Forbes recently quoted, he is the best deal in College sports.

BINGO, Tito.........If we are talking about value, it's all about ROI (Return on Investment) and Few is in a league of his own. I graduated from GU in 1985 and the difference in the campus and reputation of the school between now and then is off the charts. Now, that is not entirely due to Few, but it is definitely evident what a nationally known sports program has done for a tiny, private college in the middle of nowhere.

We can all quibble about his "in game" coaching, etc., but his value to the University and the community in general is undeniable.

Go ZAGS

gozagswoohoo
12-09-2014, 08:49 AM
If Gonzaga only KNEW the kind of deal WE would give them here in the forum. We've already shown that we have dozens and dozens of people who know more about coaching basketball than Few does. If they hired this board, collectively, we could coach this team from our couch while we are sitting in our underwear and eating Doritos. And I bet they could pay us like.....I don't know $950 dollars or something? (TOTAL) Cuz let's say there are 50 of us that have already proven we can out-couch Mark Few. $950, divided by 50...that's like $19 each that we would all make. I will take that in a heart beat. Plus, the university would save nearly 1 million dollars.

And Gonzaga would have won that Arizona game.

titopoet
12-09-2014, 09:25 AM
If Gonzaga only KNEW the kind of deal WE would give them here in the forum. We've already shown that we have dozens and dozens of people who know more about coaching basketball than Few does. If they hired this board, collectively, we could couch this team from our couch while we are sitting in our underwear and eating Doritos. And I bet they could pay us like.....I don't know $950 dollars or something? (TOTAL) Cuz let's say there are 50 of us that have already proven we can out-couch Mark Few. $950, divided by 50...that's like $19 each that we would all make. I will take that in a heart beat. Plus, the university would save nearly 1 million dollars.

And Gonzaga would have won that Arizona game.

Have you seen my picture? Not coaches program material. That and Few forgot more about basketball this morning than I will ever know. Divide it among 49 if you included me in the coach by committee. IF I wasn't included, smart man.

Zagdawg
12-09-2014, 10:07 AM
Woohoo-- this post made my morning -- you Sir have a great sense of humor.

Thank you

Go Zags!

coolhandzag
12-09-2014, 10:23 AM
Mission. Men. Me. Money. In that order.