PDA

View Full Version : We Need To Vaporize Washington State

Kiddwell
12-08-2014, 12:41 PM
Kiddwell is still upset by our fading at the end. Just one bucket (a free throw, for Petey's sakes), and we win. Zags, take out your frustration, punish Wazzu, from tipoff to closing horn. :boxing:

:[

sittingon50
12-08-2014, 12:47 PM
Railey made ESPN's #1 highlight the other night by posterizing a guy from UTSA.

The fact that the cougs were up 20 & there was :05 seconds to go left me scratching my head.

Maybe it's Connor Griffin's turn. Hope he gets in early.

gonzagafan62
12-08-2014, 12:52 PM
Any rest for Pangos is needed. Lets beat them by 40 so pangos only has to play 20 minutes.

zagsfanforlife
12-08-2014, 01:13 PM
Is that Va-poooooooo-rize?

75Zag
12-08-2014, 01:28 PM
My dad was a Coug (may he rest in peace) and my slightly-less-intelligent daughter also graduated from WSU (her smarter sister graduated from GU). But why is GU wasting an NCAA game slot to play one of the worst teams in any power conference anywhere? Proximity to GU does not equal a quality opponent. If it did, we would be playing Spokane Falls CC or Whitworth every year.

Next year, skip WSU and insert a home-and-home with a Big 10 team. The worst Big 10 team is better than the Cougs.

Go Bulldogs!

Zagger
12-08-2014, 01:48 PM
Hey, a lot of local folks want to see both teams play that may not get the chance otherwise. Screw all that other RRI, strength of schedule stuff. A few teams have prolly made the same comment about playing the Zags (in the past). It'll do Wazzu good to play the Zags in the Arena. I'll be there and I hope to see a really good game.

gonzagafan62
12-08-2014, 02:16 PM
Hey, a lot of local folks want to see both teams play that may not get the chance otherwise. Screw all that other RRI, strength of schedule stuff. A few teams have prolly made the same comment about playing the Zags (in the past). It'll do Wazzu good to play the Zags in the Arena. I'll be there and I hope to see a really good game.

I love this game too. And I am pretty much what you would call an outsider. I love playing Wazzou, Washington and EWU. I think it should be regular to keep playing.

TheGonzagaFactor
12-08-2014, 02:25 PM
My dad was a Coug (may he rest in peace) and my slightly-less-intelligent daughter also graduated from WSU (her smarter sister graduated from GU). But why is GU wasting an NCAA game slot to play one of the worst teams in any power conference anywhere? Proximity to GU does not equal a quality opponent. If it did, we would be playing Spokane Falls CC or Whitworth every year.

Next year, skip WSU and insert a home-and-home with a Big 10 team. The worst Big 10 team is better than the Cougs.

Go Bulldogs!

If only it were just that easy... Even if it was, I like the WSU game. We aren't above playing them.

VaBeachZAG
12-08-2014, 04:28 PM
If only it were just that easy... Even if it was, I like the WSU game. We aren't above playing them.

Talk of dropping WSU from GU's schedule because they just aren't worthy so smacks of arrogance to me. Why not drop Sac State or SE Louisiana for that Big 10 team, please, please, please. Back in the day WSU came to Kennedy Pavilion to play the Zags when few (actually any?) major conference schools would. If they didn't feel too good to play us then, we shouldn't feel too good to play them now. And just for a little much needed perspective, it wasn't that long ago that WSU stuck it to us in our own house. So yes, lets vaporize them, not drop them from the schedule.

gonzagafan62
12-08-2014, 04:41 PM
Talk of dropping WSU from GU's schedule because they just aren't worthy so smacks of arrogance to me. Why not drop Sac State or SE Louisiana for that Big 10 team, please, please, please. Back in the day WSU came to Kennedy Pavilion to play the Zags when few (actually any?) major conference schools would. If they didn't feel too good to play us then, we shouldn't feel too good to play them now. And just for a little much needed perspective, it wasn't that long ago that WSU stuck it to us in our own house. So yes, lets vaporize them, not drop them from the schedule.

Well freakin said

hondo
12-08-2014, 04:55 PM
Every dog (or cat) has it's day in the sun. I wouldn't get too smug with our success, in this series the Cougs have won about twice as often as our Zags. That being said nothing does my heart better than beating them in anything.

zag67
12-08-2014, 07:36 PM
Also, we do not need any more super tough games for next year. We have Pittsburgh, UCLA, Arizona, the Battle of Atlantis (that has at least 5 other top 25 teams), and I do not know of the rest. Wsu is going to take a couple of years to rebuild, but like was said in the 60's not many top teams would play us but they did. Do we want to be known as a Washington team that does not play other teams in the west coast? Our coaches and Administration has done a great job of getting good teams to play each year.

basketballzag
12-08-2014, 07:40 PM
Also, we do not need any more super tough games for next year. We have Pittsburgh, UCLA, Arizona, the Battle of Atlantis (that has at least 5 other top 25 teams), and I do not know of the rest. Wsu is going to take a couple of years to rebuild, but like was said in the 60's not many top teams would play us but they did. Do we want to be known as a Washington team that does not play other teams in the west coast? Our coaches and Administration has done a great job of getting good teams to play each year.

I would like to see us add Idaho in addition to WSU in basketball. We can easily fit WSU every year instead of a last minute Cal Poly.

zag67
12-08-2014, 07:55 PM
Basketballzag, that would be nice. Maybe they could even come up with a WSU plan that played one home game, one game at Pullman, and then another in Seattle (Battle of Seattle). Then we could also start to fit teams like Idaho or EWU for another game.

DixieZag
12-08-2014, 08:07 PM
I would like to see us add Idaho in addition to WSU in basketball. We can easily fit WSU every year instead of a last minute Cal Poly.

Or Montana - obvious match, lots of alum here in town. Respected program, often in tournament.

Agree we need to play WSU - they're down, but just 4 years ago were ranked and in our gym. They'll be back.

gonzagafan62
12-09-2014, 12:22 PM
Or Montana - obvious match, lots of alum here in town. Respected program, often in tournament.

Agree we need to play WSU - they're down, but just 4 years ago were ranked and in our gym. They'll be back.

Exactly. We could easily have Idaho, Montana, and EWU on our schedule who would be better for the area then having Texas Southern, SE Louisiana, and Sacramento State.

However, I would almost rather see: Washington, Washington State, EWU and one of the Oregon Schools.

primal23
12-09-2014, 12:32 PM
I like having the WSU game, but looking at what GU has to deal with RPI wise, until/if the program gets turned around they hurt the RPI. Last year IIRC WSU had a worse RPI then most of the WCC, even the bottom feeders. WSU has the benefit of playing in the P12, GU doesn't get much, if any, help RPI wise in conference.

seacatfan
12-09-2014, 12:32 PM
Totally agree with others, if the schedule is going to have mid or low major schools, why pull them from the south or midwest or whatever when there are several right around the corner that would be more interesting to play against? Texas Southern and SELA...why? Not that Wazzu is a mid major of course, but I'm OK with keeping that game. UW took their ball and went home, Cougs have been willing to play GU continuously. Why repay that with contempt?

deathchina
12-09-2014, 12:39 PM
by my quick count Washington State has won 3 of the last 10 games they've played against us.

We've won 1 of the last 10 games we've played against top 15 teams. 3 wins in the last 20.

Washington state has fared better against us than we have against top 15 teams by a significant margin.

Sure sample size is small but should elite teams stop scheduling us because we never beat them?

Go Bulldogs!

jchocolate99
12-09-2014, 12:58 PM
I understand everyone wanting to keep WSU and if they can get the program turned around and boost their RPI I don't mind keeping them on the schedule either but like what's been mentioned WSU has the benefit of playing in the Pac12 we do not so tradition needs to go out the door. GU needs to make business decisions when it comes to scheduling to make sure we're given the best chance for seeding in the tournament. For all those talking about how GU needs to schedule games against all the local schools if they're gonna schedule against schools like Sac St. etc you do realize it's about exposure to other markets right?? Scheduling against those teams from others parts of the country and markets helps bring the GU brand into TVs and homes which can hopefully help with recruiting also

gonzagafan62
12-09-2014, 01:12 PM
I understand everyone wanting to keep WSU and if they can get the program turned around and boost their RPI I don't mind keeping them on the schedule either but like what's been mentioned WSU has the benefit of playing in the Pac12 we do not so tradition needs to go out the door. GU needs to make business decisions when it comes to scheduling to make sure we're given the best chance for seeding in the tournament. For all those talking about how GU needs to schedule games against all the local schools if they're gonna schedule against schools like Sac St. etc you do realize it's about exposure to other markets right?? Scheduling against those teams from others parts of the country and markets helps bring the GU brand into TVs and homes which can hopefully help with recruiting also

You do bring up a valid point. But I think that has mostly been achieved through our non-conference schedule:

Just some random thoughts through the past ten years or so:

Playing at MSG.
Traveling to Philadelphia against St. Joes
Memphis
St. Louis
Columbia Missouri
Michigan State
Baylor
SMU next year
UCLA
Arizona
Utah
Hawaii
Bahamas
Japan next year
Xavier
Wake Forest

I mean its all around the country, and the world. Its quite incredible. Schedule the local teams as well as the high profile non-conference games. That way you can get local fanbases happy, and still expose the brand. I think we are doing well in both aspects of things.

seacatfan
12-09-2014, 01:41 PM
Playing Sacramento St. to open up a media market is a non starter. Zags schedule is already saturated with games against teams from Cal, both in conference and OOC. Got LA and the Bay Area covered, and Stockton (Pacific) is just down I-5 from Sacramento. And Sac is a small market anyway (nearly lost their NBA franchise because of it) and not a recruiting hot bed. Next? I don't think Texas Southern or SELA are going to lead to recruiting windfalls either. If you want exposure in those states, you need to play better teams with large fanbases like UT, LSU, etc. Anyway ESPN already puts the Zags on TVs all over the nation a hand full of times each season.

VaBeachZAG
12-09-2014, 03:03 PM

Just not buying the RPI rational for dropping WSU. If we can't handle WSU's RPI, then what makes the RPI of the likes of Sac State so appealing? If RPI becomes the singular focus in GU's scheduling, then lets get rid of all the OCC RPI bottom feeders before going after WSU.