PDA

View Full Version : What can be learned ?

titopoet
12-08-2014, 06:58 AM
As the saying goes Losers blame, while champions learn.
So what did we learn going forward.
First, Arizona is one of the elite teams in the nation. They have athletes and players at all positions. The game reveal what many suspect. GU is an elite team and joins Arizona as one of those teams.

Second, teams develop during the season as they grow, learn their roles and how to best to play with each other. On this regard, GU has a higher ceiling than Wildcats. Many time on Saturday, GU could have done more to support the player with the ball. When Bell threw it way because Kyle Wiltjer didn't slide over for the wide open 3. In next few games, Kyle will be there for an open 3. Many tightening of the bolts will occur. The skill level of GU on a individual level both in terms of shooters and passers is higher than Arizona, so that will only get better for GU.

Third, to a man, the team rallied around each other and showed a trust of one of other that can be developed in March.

Fourth, playing through Karno was very effective against one the best defensive teams. If GU plays Arizona again, Karno is the key as they don't have anyone that can stop him. Arizona chose not to double, as to double means opening the GU shooters. Karno needs to recognize this and simply over power Zeus for layup after layup. Karno was looking too much to pass when he backed up Zeus. He needs to punish Arizona for placing Zeus on him with layup after layup and force Arizona's hand.

Fifth, GU needs to have a go to guy or a guy that when GU needs a bucket, the team supports him in getting the bucket. The candidates are Kyle Wiltjer, Gary Bell, or Byron Wesley. Pick the one guy and then run the offense through that guy during scoring droughts. Arizona ran the offense through McConnell and Ashley when they needed a bucket. (This maybe a fatal flaw for Arizona).

Six, March runs are in response to December games. Sabonis had a freshman game on Saturday, but he will be needed later. He will continue to develop and I am not sure he has faced a atmosphere like Machale. The other guys, from Karno and Kyle have played and it was smart for Few to start him and also keep him him in at the end. The Zags will need a confident Sabonis going forward. Winning a a game, but losing a players confidence in a December game. Sabonis will learn and he will be a different player if the Zags meet zona again. (24 games or so will make him a better player.).

Seven. Boy, Josh was missed. Just some minutes of spelling Pangos would have push GU past Zona. As it was there was no backup and Pangos was spent at the end when GU needed him. If Silas can learn to fill that role and gain Few's confidence as a back up point, it will pay dividends later.
There are more lessons that Few will incorporate out of this game. Going forward, GU will be a threat to be in the final four and it is how those pieces fit in.

ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta
12-08-2014, 07:07 AM
I have to go teach (like anyone cares I know haha) so can't respond but this post is really really really good....:)

Lets GO ZAGS!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

jpwils
12-08-2014, 07:11 AM
First, Arizona is one of the elite teams in the nation. They have athletes and players at all positions. The game reveal what many suspect. GU is an elite team and joins Arizona as one of those teams.

Second, teams develop during the season as they grow, learn their roles and how to best to play with each other. On this regard, GU has a higher ceiling than Wildcats. Many time on Saturday, GU could have done more to support the player with the ball. When Bell threw it way because Kyle Wiltjer didn't slide over for the wide open 3. In next few games, Kyle will be there for an open 3. Many tightening of the bolts will occur. The skill level of GU on a individual level both in terms of shooters and passers is higher than Arizona, so that will only get better for GU.

Third, to a man, the team rallied around each other and showed a trust of one of other that can be developed in March.

Fourth, playing through Karno was very effective against one the best defensive teams. If GU plays Arizona again, Karno is the key as they don't have anyone that can stop him. Arizona chose not to double, as to double means opening the GU shooters. Karno needs to recognize this and simply over power Zeus for layup after layup. Karno was looking too much to pass when he backed up Zeus. He needs to punish Arizona for placing Zeus on him with layup after layup and force Arizona's hand.

Fifth, GU needs to have a go to guy or a guy that when GU needs a bucket, the team supports him in getting the bucket. The candidates are Kyle Wiltjer, Gary Bell, or Byron Wesley. Pick the one guy and then run the offense through that guy during scoring droughts. Arizona ran the offense through McConnell and Ashley when they needed a bucket. (This maybe a fatal flaw for Arizona).

Six, March runs are in response to December games. Sabonis had a freshman game on Saturday, but he will be needed later. He will continue to develop and I am not sure he has faced a atmosphere like Machale. The other guys, from Karno and Kyle have played and it was smart for Few to start him and also keep him him in at the end. The Zags will need a confident Sabonis going forward. Winning a a game, but losing a players confidence in a December game. Sabonis will learn and he will be a different player if the Zags meet zona again. (24 games or so will make him a better player.).

Seven. Boy, Josh was missed. Just some minutes of spelling Pangos would have push GU past Zona. As it was there was no backup and Pangos was spent at the end when GU needed him. If Silas can learn to fill that role and gain Few's confidence as a back up point, it will pay dividends later.
There are more lessons that Few will incorporate out of this game. Going forward, GU will be a threat to be in the final four and it is how those pieces fit in.

We will have McClelland next time.

No way Wesley goes 0 for 3 next time.

Pangos will be more rested next time.

Sabonis will be the equivalent of a college sophomore next time.

Game not in Tucson next time.

Melson will be more seasoned as well.

We will shoot better from 3 point land next time.

NEXT TIME !!!!

zag67
12-08-2014, 07:19 AM
First, I agree with all of the above.

Also:
I think we learned that without Perkins, a EM is necessary to take some of the pressure off Pangos and make him better in the long tight games.
I think that Melson will be a GBJ replacement on both ends of the court. I think he will start showing more offensive movement and defensive positioning. Give him 2 weeks and I think that we have a keeper and a great player for following years.

I thought that it was informative to see Wiljter take the last shot in regulation. It shows the confidence that the coaches and team have in him.

VaBeachZAG
12-08-2014, 07:33 AM
Boy, Josh was missed. Just some minutes of spelling Pangos would have push GU past Zona. As it was there was no backup and Pangos was spent at the end when GU needed him. If Silas can learn to fill that role and gain Few's confidence as a back up point, it will pay dividends later.

A very good post and I basically agree with all of it. Arizona will grow and develop to a higher level of play by tournament time. The Zags must do the same, they have lots and lots of things to work at and improve on. But, I do feel the Zags upside for improvement is likely greater than it is for Arizona. You really hit the nail on the head with the comment about missing Josh. Pangos is the leader of this team and when we were floundering a bit a the very end he took it upon himself to make something positive happen but wasn't successful because he was totally gassed. He was forced to play almost the entire game with four different Arizona guys taking turns guarding him really hard. That's gonna take a toll on anyone, even our potential AA. With Perkins available to rest Pangos and to let him work for open looks at the two, I feel certain his performance in the closing moments of the game would have been much different. It galls me to no end that some on this board were ragging on Pangos for his game performance - inexcusable! We really need McClellan to come on board and be an effective backup point guard because Melson is just not ready for prime time in that role against elite competition. So, the two areas ripe for improvement for this team are: 1) effective backup performance at the point and 2) continued development of Sabonis at the 4/5. Achieve these goals then I will truly be sorry for any teams that draw us in the tournament.

raise the zag
12-08-2014, 07:36 AM
nice post. To the point and all good points for that matter. agree with JP as well.

If Arizona goes on to run away with Pac-12 -- and I believe they will -- this win will secure them the #1 seed in West, hence a very probable chance we WILL play them again.

Assuming we can get a 2 or 3 seed as well.

My favorite lesson was Seven, since I believe this extrapolated all other issues. We win the game with a healthy Josh. Plain and simple. Pangos gets much needed rest (44 mins?!), is able to hunt shot, subsequently makes more shots, less TO's, much more versatile offense, not forced to dribble-drive & defend vs McConnell every single time down floor. Kevin could barely dribble in OT, no joke, he was fatigued beyond recognition.

VaBeachZAG
12-08-2014, 07:40 AM
I thought that it was informative to see Wiljter take the last shot in regulation. It shows the confidence that the coaches and team have in him.

Frankly, with the small window of time to get a shot off, and given the tight defense Arizona was playing, I was amazed that we got such a clean look at the basket with our best 3 point shooter. The play was perfectly executed, the shot just didn't fall.

GonzagasaurusFlex
12-08-2014, 07:50 AM
Thanks for this thread and your opening post Titopoet. I enjoyed reading and replying....

First, Arizona is one of the elite teams in the nation. They have athletes and players at all positions. The game reveal what many suspect. GU is an elite team and joins Arizona as one of those teams. Agree

Second, teams develop during the season as they grow, learn their roles and how to best to play with each other. On this regard, GU has a higher ceiling than Wildcats. Many time on Saturday, GU could have done more to support the player with the ball. When Bell threw it way because Kyle Wiltjer didn't slide over for the wide open 3. In next few games, Kyle will be there for an open 3. Many tightening of the bolts will occur. The skill level of GU on a individual level both in terms of shooters and passers is higher than Arizona, so that will only get better for GU.I agree, but also know the Zags will be unlikely to contain AZ as effectively in March as they did on Saturday. If we are treated to a rematch, Zags 3 pt shooting will be the key as I believe AZ will be way better offensively too

Fourth, playing through Karno was very effective against one the best defensive teams. If GU plays Arizona again, Karno is the key as they don't have anyone that can stop him. Arizona chose not to double, as to double means opening the GU shooters. Karno needs to recognize this and simply over power Zeus for layup after layup. Karno was looking too much to pass when he backed up Zeus. He needs to punish Arizona for placing Zeus on him with layup after layup and force Arizona's hand. +1....I also think PK posting up in the high post when AZ was overextending their man-to-man could have given Pangos an easier release pass from the pressure. PK could pivot with ball held high and calm the Zag offense down. I would like to see him given the chance to demonstrate he can make good passes and decisions or even knock down the open 10 foot jumper and run the offense through him in the high post sometimes...especially vs pressure man-to-man D.

Fifth, GU needs to have a go to guy or a guy that when GU needs a bucket, the team supports him in getting the bucket. The candidates are Kyle Wiltjer, Gary Bell, or Byron Wesley. Pick the one guy and then run the offense through that guy during scoring droughts. Arizona ran the offense through McConnell and Ashley when they needed a bucket. (This maybe a fatal flaw for Arizona).I think Kevin Pangos is a candidate for the clutch shot too. Not sure GU needs to have a go to guy when they need a bucket, because depending on who the opponent is, Zags have several good options to use. I am fine with any one of: Pangos, Wiltjer, Bell, Wesley being the go-to scorer on a given play or key moment of a game.

Six, March runs are in response to December games. Sabonis had a freshman game on Saturday, but he will be needed later. He will continue to develop and I am not sure he has faced a atmosphere like Machale. The other guys, from Karno and Kyle have played and it was smart for Few to start him and also keep him him in at the end. The Zags will need a confident Sabonis going forward. Winning a a game, but losing a players confidence in a December game. Sabonis will learn and he will be a different player if the Zags meet zona again. (24 games or so will make him a better player.).Agree 100%. Sabonis will be great because he cares so much! Zags can shoot better from deep and one of Perkins/Melson/McClellan will shine too, imo

There are more lessons that Few will incorporate out of this game. Going forward, GU will be a threat to be in the final four and it is how those pieces fit in. Agree 100% and echo the point you made earlier re: Sabonis' confidence with Melson's confidence. Hope Silas is patient and glad Coach Few did not 'throw him to the wolves' so to speak by giving him primary ball handler duties vs AZ. However, hoping as he grows in confidence Melson can become a primary ball handler too when needed

zag67
12-08-2014, 07:56 AM
Raise, nice comments. Pangos was so tired he could barely walk, let alone dribble and shoot. He had to play their point guard defensively and still try to run our offense for 43 minutes.

In high school, my son was once playing and guarding the best 3 point shooter in the state that year. His coach told him to forget offense and play him all over the court. Forget rebounding and stay with him. At half time their player only had 2 points and was frustrated. When my son's team shot, my son would drop back on defense and follow him all over the court. Fight through all screens. In the 3rd quarter the coach gave my son a rest for 1 minute and he made 3 quick 3s and we put my son back in. My son got so tired that when they gave my son the ball on a fast break, at the free throw line he got the ball and RAN with it to the basket, he forgot dribbling was required. But we won and their player ended up with 18 points less than his average. Good DEFENSE takes a lot out of you, GREAT defense takes more. That was the reason that, for me, GB has done such a super job through his 3 years at GU. He has given up the scoring in order to defend the other team's best shooter and chase him all over the court. I think we just saw how hard it is when we watched Pangos during the last 5 minutes of OT.

basketballzag
12-08-2014, 08:12 AM
Kevin Pangos HAD 6 different AZ defenders on him through the entire game and minus 1-2 minutes off the court he was physically exhausted. The NOLA Pelicans sent two scouts to the game and they said the player they were most impressed with on the court was none other than Pangos because of the effort that Arizona put on him to minimize his game. No other player on that court had that much focus on him and AZ was lucky enough to push the game into OT because Pangos was physically spent--how often does KP commit 4 TOs in one game? He had to physically work for his shots. If Perkins had not been hurt or McClellan eligible the outcome of this game would have been much different. Pangos needed a 5 minute break and he just didn't get it and it allowed AZ's defense to finally put him in check at the end of the game.

The outcome in March will be much different when these two teams meet again IMO and they will meet again.

Pangos is a future NBA 1st rounder who will contribute immediately next year for whoever drafts him. The team that drafts him won't be drafting on potential talent they will be drafting for immediate need. Wesley has moved up to a late 2nd round pick as well as his game has really grown over the last year. He is doing things at GU that many people didn't think he could do at USC (i.e. play in a team oriented structure, high offensive IQ, and defensive stopper).

raise the zag
12-08-2014, 08:29 AM
Wesley has moved up to a late 2nd round pick as well as his game has really grown over the last year. He is doing things at GU that many people didn't think he could do at USC (i.e. play in a team oriented structure, high offensive IQ, and defensive stopper).

Happy you pointed this out BBZ.

Of all the recaps, rewards, wouldas/couldas, thoughts, opinions, Wesley defense on BOTH Hollis-Jefferson and Stanley Johnson was vastly underrated and under appreciated.

There were numerous offensive sets Wesley SHUT THEM DOWN one-on-one. Either stopped their penetration, forced a pass, allowed for offensive foul, etc.

Not only did Byron make some clutch shots, once again, but the kid defended his butt off vs AZ.

Same can be said for GBJ on TJ and York, yet Wesley was consistently defending -- and stopping -- guys 2 to 4" taller than him and doing a darn good job.

Its Byron's defensive efforts on wing that have allowed this team to maintain man-2-man, even when zone may be ideal to rest some guys...cough Pangos cough...,yet point is, Wesley has been a tremendous treat on both ends of court yet its his defense which has floored me, esp Sat night.

I'm not so certain MORE offensive sets shouldn't be run for him. Force isolation, etc, b/c he's giving 110% and has the skills/control/maturity to handle even more responsibility in my opinion.

His on court demeanor was the emotional lead for us vs Az as well.

Zagdawg
12-08-2014, 08:59 AM
Good post-- agree with your observations.

DixieZag
12-08-2014, 09:02 AM
That we need Melson to spell Gary at times so he can go both ways.

Because, the more aggressive Gary is on the offensive end, the better we are. Gary made some critical baskets in that game and a few of them were on drives to the hoop that I'm not sure anyone else on the team could have made. He has more speed and hops than Wesley (not a criticism of Wes) and can shoot the 3 as well as anyone we have. We play better when he scores.

cjm720
12-08-2014, 10:01 AM
That we need Melson to spell Gary at times so he can go both ways.

Because, the more aggressive Gary is on the offensive end, the better we are. Gary made some critical baskets in that game and a few of them were on drives to the hoop that I'm not sure anyone else on the team could have made. He has more speed and hops than Wesley (not a criticism of Wes) and can shoot the 3 as well as anyone we have. We play better when he scores.

Gary would have gotten my vote for GUnit...he's playing so incredibly well now. He's a man on a mission. That said, Pangos sliding to the two with Perkins surely helped him and the rest of the team out. Surprised Dranginis didn't get more time-he was playing well and aggressive also. Melson needs to find his confidence as he can really help...once EM comes on board, Melson's time is surely going to slip even more...

seasontixholder
12-08-2014, 10:41 AM
Our Madison Sq Garden and Arizona games proved one major point: namely, that GU is the superior team against athletic teams when a normal game flow is on. Once it gets past the first 4 minutes or so, it will put up more points than the opposition until the last 4 minutes or so.

The first 4 minutes is explained by the lack of defensive intensity early on (many reasons, I won't elaborate, it just happens).

The last 4 minutes is due to our fatal flaw: we play those crucial seconds like we do the last shot before halftime, rather how we operate during the meat of the game. And we know what our pre-halftime bugaboo has been for years. Screwing around for 20 seconds and then putting the ball into the hands of a single player that hasn't come through, rather than rapid ball movement that creates our advantage from 16:00 to 4:00.

The OP is correct with his fifth point, iow. Trouble is, one of the better options has a broken jaw. If I were to order by my preference for a single player becoming The Man, it would be Wesley, Perkins, Wiltjer, and then Bell. But I'd rather see rapid passing and teamwork instead. Watching slow passes, then a dribble or two, then another slow pass, followed by an ineffective penetration, etc. on Saturday--possession after possession--in crunch time was painful. At the time, I actually felt the doom.

Zagger
12-08-2014, 11:09 AM
I feel we'll see more of Draino as the weeks pass. I hope we also see more of Nunez (if he can muster up some smart, consistent D and take a bit better care of the ball). Both of these players can be BIG assets for the remainder of this season with the right work and efforts. I think Mt. K reached a milestone in the Arizona game and he'll shine from now on (and I sure hope that includes FTs too - even if just a bit better - say 60-70%).
Go Zags! Can't wait to be in the Arena on the 10th to see how everyone plays with Arizona under their belts.

cjm720
12-08-2014, 11:14 AM
Another thing we learned (and this was probably brought up on some of the threads) is that Coach Few went to a big line up two or three different times against the Wildcats. We had Karno, Wiltjer, and Bonus playing at the same time. Not sure I liked it, personally, but it was quite the long unit.

bballbeachbum
12-08-2014, 12:31 PM
Our Madison Sq Garden and Arizona games proved one major point: namely, that GU is the superior team against athletic teams when a normal game flow is on. Once it gets past the first 4 minutes or so, it will put up more points than the opposition until the last 4 minutes or so.

The first 4 minutes is explained by the lack of defensive intensity early on (many reasons, I won't elaborate, it just happens).

The last 4 minutes is due to our fatal flaw: we play those crucial seconds like we do the last shot before halftime, rather how we operate during the meat of the game. And we know what our pre-halftime bugaboo has been for years. Screwing around for 20 seconds and then putting the ball into the hands of a single player that hasn't come through, rather than rapid ball movement that creates our advantage from 16:00 to 4:00.

The OP is correct with his fifth point, iow. Trouble is, one of the better options has a broken jaw. If I were to order by my preference for a single player becoming The Man, it would be Wesley, Perkins, Wiltjer, and then Bell. But I'd rather see rapid passing and teamwork instead. Watching slow passes, then a dribble or two, then another slow pass, followed by an ineffective penetration, etc. on Saturday--possession after possession--in crunch time was painful. At the time, I actually felt the doom.

good post, good thread. I'd add that defending the out of bounds is also an issue, giving up some easy looks.

on my lunch break here, but will also add that it's tough to take the air out of the ball without multiple players on the floor who can create and make their own shots...it's kind of a requirement for that approach. And even tho KP was tired, he still took that charge and then made that late 3 in OT so he was still functioning. I think the dribble drives that didn't work were because the D was stacked against that kind of play, especially late in the shot clock, more than KP being tired, but whatever

so I agree that working it inside out is the way to go and moving the ball around, but it's easier said than done when you're also trying to run some clock late on the road. getting fouled is often what offenses try to get in those late game situations off the dribble and we didn't create that unfortunately, but the guts to drive it in there was big, as were the charge and late 3 KP made. and KW's look at the end was pretty good actually, as was Domas' weak side board position on that play, pretty good x's and o's on that one imo

Reborn
12-08-2014, 12:48 PM
Wesley was mostly defending Stanley Johnson, there 6'8" freshman All-American who is leading Arizona is scoring. Defending Johnson and Hollis-Jefferson (who killed us in March Madness last spring) were the biggest question marks for me. Hollis-Jefferson was held to 8 points and 6 rebounds. Wiltjer, on the other hand had 16 points and 7 rebounds.

Go Zags!!!

CDC84
12-08-2014, 01:04 PM
I just hope this loss does not end up putting Gonzaga in the Kentucky or Duke regionals. I would rather be a 4 seed out west than be a two staring up at UK or Duke before the final four. It's really important that GU be one of the highest two seeds.

seacatfan
12-08-2014, 01:27 PM
Another thing we learned (and this was probably brought up on some of the threads) is that Coach Few went to a big line up two or three different times against the Wildcats. We had Karno, Wiltjer, and Bonus playing at the same time. Not sure I liked it, personally, but it was quite the long unit.

I thought I saw all 3 bigs on the floor together, glad it wasn't just my imagination. I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else. Thanks for confirming.

Reborn
12-08-2014, 03:24 PM
I think Gonzaga will be out west for the NCAA Tournament. It's our year, CDC.

Go Zags!!!

maynard g krebs
12-08-2014, 03:33 PM
Sabonis 2.0
Nunez 2.0 (small sample; skewed up by one game v outmatched opponent)
Pangos 1.62
Bell 1.53
Perkins 1.39
Wesley 1.33
Wiltjer 1.32
Karnowski 1.19
Dranginis 1.19
Melson 0.73

Posting this for a couple reasons. Looking at the above, it makes sense that Arizona played one on one in the post and focused their defense on the perimeter. Even though Karno played a really good game, his 10 pts in 36 min wasn't a game changer. I think they deliberately took away Bell and Pangos from the 3pt line and left Wiltjer open more, knowing he came in shooting 3/14 from there v everyone except the two lower level opponents. With the Zags' firepower, you have to choose what to take away and what to give up, and it looks like they chose to take away Bell and Pangos shooting the 3. They seem to have believed that Ashley could handle Sabonis straight up as well, despite his impressive showing so far.

If a rematch happens, I think we'll see more of the same. Since Perkins went down, the Zags only have two guys shooting over .333 from the 3 pt line. KW needs to hit from there like expected or this team won't reach its potential. It would help if Dranginis shot better as well, but it isn't fair to expect him to get in a shooting rhythm in 10-15 minutes.

Reborn
12-08-2014, 03:36 PM
I think they could definitely make up some new out-of-bounds plays. They almost always seem to have trouble in bounding the pass. IMO, it's cost the Zags two games now. Something as simple as that.

I think the problems that the Zags have had closing the first half and the last 3 or 4 minutes of games needs to be solved. This needs to be addressed and practiced over and over and over. One problem is that so often the Zags are not on the court at the end of games because of their conference. Yet something needs to be done. I feel that Gonzaga has a tendency to take their foot off the pedal in the second half and slow down the offense. I have never understood that. They seem to play to protect the leads they have. Why not develop a different strategy.

One solution to some of this is going to be as simple as time. The Zags need time to develop cohesiveness. They have a great offense and they just need to keep running it until it gets perfected, and that takes time.

Go Zags!!!

bballbeachbum
12-08-2014, 03:47 PM
Sabonis 2.0
Nunez 2.0 (small sample; skewed up by one game v outmatched opponent)
Pangos 1.62
Bell 1.53
Perkins 1.39
Wesley 1.33
Wiltjer 1.32
Karnowski 1.19
Dranginis 1.19
Melson 0.73

Posting this for a couple reasons. Looking at the above, it makes sense that Arizona played one on one in the post and focused their defense on the perimeter. Even though Karno played a really good game, his 10 pts in 36 min wasn't a game changer. I think they deliberately took away Bell and Pangos from the 3pt line and left Wiltjer open more, knowing he came in shooting 3/14 from there v everyone except the two lower level opponents. With the Zags' firepower, you have to choose what to take away and what to give up, and it looks like they chose to take away Bell and Pangos shooting the 3. They seem to have believed that Ashley could handle Sabonis straight up as well, despite his impressive showing so far.

If a rematch happens, I think we'll see more of the same. Since Perkins went down, the Zags only have two guys shooting over .333 from the 3 pt line. KW needs to hit from there like expected or this team won't reach its potential. It would help if Dranginis shot better as well, but it isn't fair to expect him to get in a shooting rhythm in 10-15 minutes.

good stuff maynard. don't you think other teams will try to do the same too vs. the Zags, teams like Texas or Duke for example if we face them in March, to run shooters off the line and dare them to get the rim? GBj was able to take advantage of the pressure D and get to the hole a couple of times and the AZ bigs stayed home on their guy, like they didn't think he could get all the way to the rim and finish, idk. but KP seemed to have no lanes late and a collapsing D in the paint with those long arms awaiting him if he got by McC which he had some trouble doing. KW has that nice mid range game it looks like, against these types of defenses they kind of give that shot too, need to shoot a high % on those

cjm720
12-08-2014, 04:04 PM
I think they could definitely make up some new out-of-bounds plays. They almost always seem to have trouble in bounding the pass. IMO, it's cost the Zags two games now. Something as simple as that.

I think the problems that the Zags have had closing the first half and the last 3 or 4 minutes of games needs to be solved. This needs to be addressed and practiced over and over and over. One problem is that so often the Zags are not on the court at the end of games because of their conference. Yet something needs to be done. I feel that Gonzaga has a tendency to take their foot off the pedal in the second half and slow down the offense. I have never understood that. They seem to play to protect the leads they have. Why not develop a different strategy.

One solution to some of this is going to be as simple as time. The Zags need time to develop cohesiveness. They have a great offense and they just need to keep running it until it gets perfected, and that takes time.

Go Zags!!!

Hey 'born, I know it was a tough loss but it only counted for one! :)

Bocco
12-08-2014, 04:17 PM
Hey 'born, I know it was a tough loss but it only counted for one! :)
Just a guess, but I suspect Reborn is still stewing over the loss to Butler two years ago ...

RenoZag
12-08-2014, 05:36 PM
Don't get involved in a land war in Asia. . .

DixieZag
12-08-2014, 07:17 PM
Point of order; Does anyone really believe that Wiltjer won't become the sniper from the 3 pt line that he is? Just had a couple cold games?

I think he's learning to combine the inside game with the out. I have absolutely no worries that KW will not come alive from 3.

AnonAzZagTemp
12-08-2014, 07:47 PM
I don't understand why you guys didn't go to the big Karnowski more, we had no answer for that, it was almost automatic points for you guys...granted Zona NEVER plays zone and almost NEVER doubles on the post, mostly the old "pack line" where we are packed in close enough to pick at the post guys with a second, but never really any serious double on him...

I suppose other teams will play the zone, maybe double up, but with your shooting guards you would trade a 2 down low for a 3 on the perimeter any day and you've got the guns to do it.

In a game like that I would have personally sat Sabonis more, and yes anytime you're point guard is playing 43 minutes you need fresh legs in the OT or regulation final minutes, just 30 seconds might have made the difference in regulation for Pangos...I get that you don't really have a true PG healthy besides him but surely in the last 7 minutes someone else could have ran it for more than the two minutes he was out total...

Zag 77
12-08-2014, 07:58 PM
Anon, what you may not realize and what Sean Miller surely knew is that Karnowski can't make free throws with any kind of predictability. Miller would have just fouled him and likely profited from it.

AnonAzZagTemp
12-08-2014, 08:00 PM
Anon, what you may not realize and what Sean Miller surely knew is that Karnowski can't make free throws with any kind of predictability. Miller would have just fouled him and likely profited from it.

Ahhh did not know that about his game, he certainly has a nice post game...