PDA

View Full Version : This is tough to swallow

LidgerZag
12-07-2014, 02:25 PM
A lot has been posted and talked about regarding our 'big' games over the years we have risen to prominence...I am hurting over another game just like all of you. I was at GU during the glory years of an elite 8 and 2 sweet 16's. We were known as the giant killers then. Since then, this stat has jumped out and it's a bitter one.

ZAGS= 0-6 Against Top 10 teams when we are also in the top 10
ZAGS= 6-25 Overall against top 10 teams regardless of our ranking at the time

It's hard to keep taking 'good' losses. Sometime soon we have to start turning some of these games into huge wins.. I'm dying here, but desperately hoping The Best Is Yet To Come.

CDC84
12-07-2014, 02:35 PM
While I wish Gonzaga could do better in these games, it's important to keep in mind that most of those 31 games took place on true neutral floors or on the road. Most high level BCS teams get 50% of those games at home. That always get lost in these discussions.

TexasZag
12-07-2014, 02:35 PM
What's the record against top 25 at home? And where were we in the rankings at the time? The "record" is such a meaningless stat on its own.

bartruff1
12-07-2014, 02:40 PM
Well, you might consider that Gonzaga is a mid major and compare them to their peers.... without looking it up, I bet Gonzaga was a underdog in most of those games.

You might also consider that Gonzaga seldom plays a top 10 team at the Kennel ....we have to play them at their court or most often on neutral courts ... and that the Big Five schools get home and home games against other top ten teams....Gonzaga only plays a game or two a year against a top ten school .

I would be surprised if the glory year teams did any better...

I am only speculating .... I don't think they need a excuse... they have been amazing over a long period of time

MDABE80
12-07-2014, 03:01 PM
We could nitpik the Sheeeeeeet out of every possible issue...some real, some with an abyss just previously undiscovered! lol.......
We got a great team THIS year. Just speaking purely, what one team does years ago is largely irrelvant to this year.
Of course the built in bias to these prior losses come in the NCAA tournament where were have gotten beat by a ranked team to end each season for the past 15 years. It's how seasons end.
But if we didn't even make it to the tournament, we'd end our season quietly against unranked teams and nobody would care. NOR would there be any data to condemn our success with. Just enjoy the season and this particular group.

FGZagDad
12-07-2014, 03:20 PM
We could nitpik the Sheeeeeeet out of every possible issue...some real, some with an abyss just previously undiscovered! lol.......
We got a great team THIS year. Just speaking purely, what one team does years ago is largely irrelvant to this year.
Of course the built in bias to these prior losses come in the NCAA tournament where were have gotten beat by a ranked team to end each season for the past 15 years. It's how seasons end.
But if we didn't even make it to the tournament, we'd end our season quietly against unranked teams and nobody would care. NOR would there be any data to condemn our success with. Just enjoy the season and this particular group.

Totally agree here. This is a great team that took the #3 on their court to OT. Refs had nothing to do with the outcome, a good thing. Our guys are good, very, very good. Im over the loss and looking ahead to the rest of the season and the tourney. And I'm really excited about it!!

Zag Man
12-07-2014, 03:39 PM
Although this was a tough loss to swallow, I was very proud of how our basketball team played against a highly ranked team on national television on their home court. It was a very physical game and Gonzaga was a tough as Arizona in every phase of the game.

kclubfounder
12-07-2014, 04:06 PM
A lot has been posted and talked about regarding our 'big' games over the years we have risen to prominence...I am hurting over another game just like all of you. I was at GU during the glory years of an elite 8 and 2 sweet 16's. We were known as the giant killers then. Since then, this stat has jumped out and it's a bitter one.

ZAGS= 0-6 Against Top 10 teams when we are also in the top 10
ZAGS= 6-25 Overall against top 10 teams regardless of our ranking at the time

It's hard to keep taking 'good' losses. Sometime soon we have to start turning some of these games into huge wins.. I'm dying here, but desperately hoping The Best Is Yet To Come.

The Zags are 0-6 against top 10 teams when we are also in the top 10? That is interesting. I'm truly curious. What were the other 5 games?

DixieZag
12-07-2014, 04:21 PM
Didn't we crush WSU at home just 4 years ago? Weren't we both in the top 10 or at least both highly ranked at the time?

NumberCruncher
12-07-2014, 04:48 PM
Checked the record book. The Zags have only played a top 10 team 3 times, including yesterday, while ranked in the top 10.

11-23-05 L 65-63 Zags#8/9 vs #3 Connecticut (N- EA Sports Maui Invitational)
12-27-05 L 83-72 Zags#8/8 vs #4 Memphis (Away)
12-06-14 L 66-63 Zags#9/8 vs #3 Arizona (Away)

As per usual, somebody reads something somewhere and then repeats it without verification.

Edit: Found one more that the record book missed (Connecticut's #2 ranking not listed on page 73)
12-20-08 L 88-83 Zags#8/7 vs #2 Connecticut (Neutral – Battle in Seattle)
So that's 4.

zag67
12-07-2014, 04:57 PM
So someone is upset that a 8/9 team is not beating a 2/3/4 team. Get real. In 2 out of the 3 of those games we were in it to the end and lost by a basket. I am proud of how we attacked. Yes, we missed too many 3s and did not get enough open shots, but were still in it to the end. But we played great defense and have a whole season to improve on all aspects of our game. I really believe if Perkins had not gone down, we would have won. But I do believe that Melson is going to be a super addition to this team by the end of the year. Finish this month with 1 loss and go from there.

gonzagafan62
12-07-2014, 05:05 PM
Checked the record book. The Zags have only played a top 10 team 3 times, including yesterday, while ranked in the top 10.

11-23-05 L 65-63 Zags#8/9 vs #3 Connecticut (N- EA Sports Maui Invitational)
12-27-05 L 83-72 Zags#8/8 vs #4 Memphis (Away)
12-06-14 L 66-63 Zags#9/8 vs #3 Arizona (Away)

As per usual, somebody reads something somewhere and then repeats it without verification.

Butler vs gonzaga wasn't one? Anyway this stat is pretty pathetic anyway... Espn tries to knock anything at gonzaga

adoptedzag
12-07-2014, 05:12 PM
It all comes down to Al Davis' famous quote: just win, baby

NumberCruncher
12-07-2014, 05:13 PM
Butler was ranked #13.

The record book is available on GoZags.com. Has not been updated for last year yet.

CdAZagFan
12-07-2014, 05:30 PM
Was feeling the same way yesterday after somebody posted an article about how GU choked again (I can't remember the writer)... Those articles and labels do sting a little - but we just need to take care of business and we'll have a chance to get retribution against ranked teams in the tourney. One big tourney run and we can eliminate the talk for quite awhile.