PDA

View Full Version : Wiltjer and 3-point shooting...

WallaWallaZag
12-06-2014, 08:14 PM
played a great game overall, but i'm beginning to wonder if his 3-point shooting isn't just hype...can wiltjer actually hit the shot in a big game...when he isn't just doing a youtube video??? larger point, zags inability to hit the three cost them the game...supposed to be a much better shooting team than arizona but wasn't the case. dranginis missed two wide open looks and seems to shoot better when he takes it from nba range...he would get a lot more pt if he could knock down some outside shots.

Reborn
12-06-2014, 09:52 PM
Overall our 3 point shooting is down. This includes Kevin Pangos too. I'd say that Wiltjer has been up and down. I'd have to say that he needs to go inside more because it's where he seems to really be more effective. He was very good inside tonight. I think it's his strength. I really thought we'd be a good 3 point shooting team this year but just can not step up and make them. Including wide open shots (dranginis especially) and Wiltjer too.

VinnyZag
12-06-2014, 09:54 PM
Pantos was absolutely blanketed all game by McConnell, aka this year's Aaron Craft. This year's team should be good enough to survive that, but not tonight.

CDC84
12-06-2014, 10:02 PM
Pangos was blanketed by several Arizona perimeter defenders, including Hollis-Jefferson who is going to be a NBA superstar defender at the next level.

maynard g krebs
12-06-2014, 10:05 PM
played a great game overall, but i'm beginning to wonder if his 3-point shooting isn't just hype...can wiltjer actually hit the shot in a big game...when he isn't just doing a youtube video??? larger point, zags inability to hit the three cost them the game...supposed to be a much better shooting team than arizona but wasn't the case. dranginis missed two wide open looks and seems to shoot better when he takes it from nba range...he would get a lot more pt if he could knock down some outside shots.

Something did bug me about that video when I saw it. Unless you are doing ft's, shooting from the same spot over and over is counterproductive. In game action, to catch and shoot you need to make a cut or move laterally to your spot, then set your feet and orient to the basket quickly, catch, jump and release almost instantaneously. Standing still at the top of the key and just shooting stationary shots over and over does little to prep for shooting in game situations; basically long ft's.

I"d be more impressed with a video of him making 50 out of 75 after taking a quick 3 or 4 steps to the left or right between shots and spotting up again each time in a different spot.

In games, he's taking them from several feet behind the line, and it seems like he takes, and is being given, a long time to release his shots.

6-11 v Sac State and SE La; 4-20 v Ga, UA, St John's, St Joe's, SMU.

Ekrub
12-06-2014, 10:27 PM
Yeah I had hoped he would be hitting at a larger clip but maybe we WI see his average rise at the end of the season and through the tournament.

CdAZagFan
12-07-2014, 08:29 AM
I think the difference in his 3-point shooting stems from his ability to set his feet and get a good shot. Against Arizona most of his 3's seemed rush and wasn't able to get set...

TravelinZag
12-07-2014, 08:40 AM
Kevin simply asked (including by himself) to do too much last night, and for the most part he delivered. Zags have several excellent three-point shooters; doesn't seem too much to ask that a couple of them be "in the zone" on any given night, and our passers will find them. When all go dead, GU (again, see last night) is still a competitive team, but don't understand how that happens. Usually playing great defense ignites offense, at least in someone.

hooter73
12-07-2014, 09:11 AM
Wiltjer is what I thought he'd be. Pretty good, not great. A weapon in the right circumstances, a game winner at the right time, and not able to really show that he is some sort of transcendent player. His shots arent falling. Maybe next year they will be and we'll all be so star struck that no one will remember his play this year.

hondo
12-07-2014, 09:46 AM
Playing great defense usually leads to turnovers that lead to lay ins but the effort spent playing great defense may not lead to great outside shooting.

Marcus
12-07-2014, 10:01 AM
Wiltjer is what I thought he'd be. Pretty good, not great. A weapon in the right circumstances, a game winner at the right time, and not able to really show that he is some sort of transcendent player. His shots arent falling. Maybe next year they will be and we'll all be so star struck that no one will remember his play this year.

We have only seen him really lead the team once so far and look like nobody on the court could touch him. He's been a little off for sure but it's way too early to think that it will be until next year before we see him consistently burning the nets. A few games into conference season, we will know what we have in this years Wiltjer.

DixieZag
12-07-2014, 10:09 AM
I see a guy totally adapting to a new role, one not expected at his last job where the last thing they needed was for him to really bang inside - or at least that is what he perceived it to be.

Now, he knows he's a needed inside scorer and his sniping is down some. I expect that it will rise throughout the year as he grows in comfort and picks his spots. I'm not worried at all.

ZagLawGrad
12-07-2014, 10:44 AM
I haven't seen anything yet to sell me on KW being a significant deep threat.

scott257
12-07-2014, 02:24 PM
I haven't re-watched the game yet but I plan to. I am especially interested in how active Wiltjer is on defense. There has been a lot made of Sabonis and his fouls, but one positive is that he doesn't rest on defense. I was surprised when I saw that Wiltjer wasn't called for a single foul. How is that? My thought is that Wiltjer is slacking big time on defense and my hope is that Sabonis gets smarter and Wiltjer wakes up enough to realize he needs to play defense.

seacatfan
12-07-2014, 02:31 PM
It's hard to watch everything that's happening on the court. I don't know about Wiltjer's defense in the game. I do know Ashely was scoreless in the 2nd half...until Sabonis came in, and Ashley scored 3 buckets in about a minute, with Sabonis guarding him. Make of that what you will.

Some of Sabonis' fouls came on the offensive end from being overly aggressive, so number of fouls is not necessarily reflective of defensive effort or intensity.

Chicken Ball
12-07-2014, 04:07 PM
I haven't seen that Wiltjer is any liability on defense against the guys he's been asked to guard. If I'm not mistaken, he actually leads the team in block %. Unlike Sabonis with his fresh mistakes last night, Wiltjer's defensive positioning seems pretty good to me.