PDA

View Full Version : No such thing as a good loss....

ZagHouse
12-06-2014, 03:51 PM
And really should have won in regulation. I'm mad but OK with the loss. Think Few was trying to stay two steps ahead with subs, and was trying to outsmart the gym with the potential of Shem shooting free-throws. Sabonis will learn a ton and I bet Wesley puts himself at the stripe to practice when he gets back. Hard fought. Would have liked more KD. Really good energy when he was in.

former1dog
12-06-2014, 03:53 PM
... But if there were, this would be one.

i think the prognosticators will still love us after this one, and that is a good thing in my opinion.

mendiant
12-06-2014, 03:57 PM
Considering we were ahead the majority of the game and that this was (based on rankings) a March level game...our guys did us proud...VERY PROUD!

gu03alum
12-06-2014, 04:03 PM
Gonzaga didn't lose that game the refs did. That no call on Sabonis at the end was one of the worst no calls I have ever seen. #### this ####

mendiant
12-06-2014, 04:03 PM
Well thought out post.

gonzagafan62
12-06-2014, 04:06 PM
Don't let Arizona beat you again on Wednesday.

Zag4Hire
12-06-2014, 04:09 PM
Easy buddy. It was terrible--very true. Perhaps the recent exhibitions of taekwondo on the court have lowered my understanding of what is a foul.

The Zags left too many at the charity stripe, jumpers, bunnies, etc. The pressure is always on the road team to make the shots and Zags didn't do enough to win. Granted, AZ left many doors open for GU, GU never took advantage. No real good runs for the Zags. It's done, it sucks, and it's terrible. Thrash UCLA and all is forgiven lol.

75Zag
12-06-2014, 04:16 PM
Whether or not this game is perceived as a "good loss" or not depends on whether the national press portrays this game as a battle of the titans where both teams played magnificently but "somebody has to lose", or whether the national press portrays this game as one that GU had control of until GU collapsed with 2 minutes to go in regulation. I am not an expert so I don't really know which perception is true and which perception is false. After watching the game I can see arguments for both sides.

Go Bulldogs!

ZagLawGrad
12-06-2014, 04:17 PM
Honestly, good game, but no surprise at the end.

Zag4Hire
12-06-2014, 04:22 PM
It just made the ticker as 'Breaking News' on ABC for the ACC Championship Game. You bet the game was a big deal for CBB.

GoZAGsMang
12-06-2014, 04:26 PM
another misplaced thread, if a mod could move this to the proper place: http://www.cougarboard.com/

DixieZag
12-06-2014, 04:27 PM
I'm sure some will look at it as "GU again can't put a team away."

I'm usually one of those hot heads.

Not today. Anytime you play a very tough team on the road, they ARE going to make a run. It's just the way it is. And in reg time, I believe we withstood it. We had 10 seconds, the ball and a tie. There you go. There was most definitely a foul on Sabonis but no official is going to call that, not on the road. And KW got his shot, a good look.

Had there not been a freaky long rebound, we would have had 18 seconds down 2 - perhaps a shot to win or tie.

I put this up as a game that was dead even and fell off to the team at home.

I don't think for one second this game will hurt us in any way from people looking from the outside. I think the committee looks at it almost like a win, and the national press does, too.

Plus, we played no where near our best, not even close.

ZagLawGrad
12-06-2014, 04:29 PM
Refs were a non-factor. Wesley and Zags got handed a gift at the end. Imagine the squawking about that call by AZ if Wesley had delivered.

Make your FT's.

Ekrub
Refs overall were very good in this game. Couple of crappy things both ways but i felt that they called it evenly and let the guys play. The foul on wesley at the end was a headscratcher though

JPtheBeasta
There were 2 or 3 calls at the end of regulation and in overtime that didn't go our way and all we needed was one of them. I didn't expect any different but it's still so disappointing.

thespywhozaggedme
12-06-2014, 06:19 PM
We took the #3 team in the nation who has a 25 game non conference home winning streak, into overtime.

LongIslandZagFan
12-06-2014, 06:26 PM
To an extent the non-call was bad. But make the damn FTs in regulation and that is a non-issue. Piss poor FT shooting is the one Achilles's hell of this team.

Zagdawg
12-06-2014, 06:29 PM
81% FT shooting before Wesleys final 3 shots of the game.

Mantua
12-06-2014, 06:32 PM
We had 10 seconds, the ball and a tie. There you go. There was most definitely a

Had there not been a freaky long rebound, we would have had 18 seconds down 2 - perhaps a shot to win or tie.

I put this up as a game that was dead even and fell off to the team at home.

I don't think for one second this game will hurt us in any way from people looking from the outside. I think the committee looks at it almost like a win, and the national press does, too.

Plus, we played no where near our best, not even close.

Yes! I wouldn't be reeling from the loss if thought they had played their best. They needed this kind of competition just to get it into their heads that they probably can beat anybody if they believe it.

Reborn
12-06-2014, 06:34 PM
I have always believed that there is such a thing as a good loss, and I have taught that when I coached. Every loss hurts alot, that's for sure; so it doesn't feel like it could be a good loss. But in terms of the overall BIG picture it can be. From listening to Miller (Arizona's coach) in the interview after the game, I think he will treat this game as a loss with his team. And yet most of hate hate losses. But they can be good.

I think the team that loses at this time of year benefits in the long run because they have just been humbled. A great team will take it to heart and work harder then ever before. The next time they are put in a situation like they were put in tonight they will respond differently. At least that's the hope. Most feel that if the team learns what they need to learn because of the loss then it's been a good loss. To lose in overtime, on the road, to the #2 team in America is not going to be a bad loss. It's not going to sit well with the guys on the team, and they will begin to play with a chip on their shoulders now.

If this loss helps the Zags beat UCLA in LA, and helps them beat BYU in Provo two weeks later, then it was worth it.

Go Zags!!!

Reborn
12-06-2014, 06:48 PM
Refs were a non-factor. Wesley and Zags got handed a gift at the end. Imagine the squawking about that call by AZ if Wesley had delivered.

Make your FT's.

I felt it was a great reffed game. I couldn't have asked for any better. They did not call a real close game and let the game be decided by the players. In the end the ref HAD to call that foul against Arizona. We had our chance, and missed.

Go Zags!!!

ZagsGoZags
12-06-2014, 07:01 PM
they met us, now they know us better,
and they know next time we meet, either next year or this year it will be another cat fight.
Now the world knows we are a contender this year.

LongIslandZagFan
12-06-2014, 07:11 PM
Amen. But that being said. Zona played some serious D down the stretch. Suffocating almost. Hats off to both teams. Hell of a game.