• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CDC84
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Your ESPN announcers for Gonzaga/Arizona

Roxy Bernstein, Dan Dakich w/ Jeff Goodman

Of course Dicky V wouldn't dare make a trip west of the Mississippi.......(not that I would want him announcing this game).
  • TheGonzagaFactor
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2011

Wow. Roxy the GU hater and Goody the believer. Should be interesting.
    "After holding open practices during his first three seasons, Romar closed them to reporters last season, citing the "Gonzaga factor." He felt his team was compromised before the 2004-05 game against the Zags, that the opponent awaiting him and beating him 99-87 in Spokane seemed a little too well prepared."

Comment

• phxfireflames
      Kennel Club Material
      • Mar 2009

I wonder if someone has the GU record with particular broadcasters outside of Heister.

Comment

• cggonzaga
        Zag for Life
        • Mar 2007

Pretty sure Vitale said during the UNC-Iowa game that he was doing the GU-UCLA game.

Comment

• jbslicer
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

As long as Len Elmore isn't there, I don't care who the announcers are.

Comment

• ZagDaddy
            Kennel Club Material
            • Feb 2007

As long as Dakich is there I will be watching in silence. Bleh!

Comment

• RenoZag
              Super Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by cggonzaga View Post
              Pretty sure Vitale said during the UNC-Iowa game that he was doing the GU-UCLA game.
              During one of his breathless rants, he mentioned the Zags and Goodman's opinion they were a Final Four team and a candidate to win it all.
              He then segued into one of his usual lines of gibberish regarding Jimmy V week
              The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• Bouldin4Prez
                Kennel Club Alum
                • Nov 2009

I don't really understand the Dicky V hate. He generally gives the Zags love and he appears to be one of the nicest individuals in the game of college basketball. He genuinely loves the sport and has done nothing but improve the game. As far as him rambling about Jimmy V week, come on man.

Comment

• RenoZag
                  Super Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

He has been ruining telecasts with his idiotic commentary for decades. He's a highly compensated shill for ESPN who rode the growth of college basketball and the March Madness explosion (due to cable TV) all the way to the Naismith Hall of Fame. He's the Larry King of college basketball broadcasters.

Mocking Jimmy V week was wrong. I apologize. My distaste for Dookie V should not have carried over to a pejorative outlook re: raising money in the memory of Valvano.
                  The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• DZ
                    Zag for Life
                    • Sep 2007

Originally posted by RenoZag View Post
                    He has been ruining telecasts with his idiotic commentary for decades. He's a highly compensated shill for ESPN who rode the growth of college basketball and the March Madness explosion (due to cable TV) all the way to the Naismith Hall of Fame. He's the Larry King of college basketball broadcasters.

Mocking Jimmy V week was wrong. I apologize. My distaste for Dookie V should not have carried over to a pejorative outlook re: raising money in the memory of Valvano.
                    Whether a person likes him as an announcer or not - and there've been times he's really annoyed me, sentences that contain the word "Duke," for instance - is a complete matte of personal choice that I understand. I do usually weigh in on these to just note that, though it is true that college basketball would have grown bc of cable with or without him, it would not have grown as fast. He was ground breaking in how to be a color guy (like it or not), there would be no "Onions" without a "Baby!" so it must appeal to some or he would have announced his last game long ago. And second, as I always state here, the guy is the most tender hearted person on earth, gives so much money away it is absurd and quick to help out any kid, BB or regular student.

I remember seeing a half court shot for 3 guys for free tuition, one guy hit the shot, 2 missed, everyone cheered and yelled, he ran out to the guy and said, "I'll pay for your books." Then he saw the other two just kind of standing there and walked over and said, "I'll get yours, too" to both of them. I think that's just the way the guy is wired.

And, we don't have enough of those people, so it's worth at least noting.
                    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                    Mark Twain.

Comment

• thickman1
                      Bleeds GU Blue
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jbslicer View Post
                      Agreed!

Comment

• CDC84
                        Super Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

I triple that. I actually don't mind Elmore, but I just don't like him announcing Zag games. Too many bad memories.

As far as Vitale is concerned, I give him credit for being an innovative broadcaster, but I just can't stand his delivery, his sense of humor, how hysterical he gets, and most of all, his lack of legitimate analysis. I learn nothing about the game when listening to him. I can't say that I learned a lot about the game from Al McGuire either, but that son of gun was so hilarious he was able to get away with it.

I still feel that Billy Raftery is the best guy in the biz. He's a cross between Dicky V and Billy Packer, without the worst characteristics of either of those guys. Still love Fran Fraschilla and Stephen Bardo (now working for the Big Ten Network). Liked Steve Kerr before he left the NBA.

Totally agree about Vitale and his generous spirit.

Comment

• Mantua
                          Zag for Life
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post

Still love Fran Fraschilla and Stephen Bardo (now working for the Big Ten Network).
                          I saw Stephen Bardo the other day and felt a pang of longing.
                          Bonjour tristesse.

Comment

• seacatfan
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2014

Bardo is good. I really like Laphonso Ellis too. He's probably mostly in the studio but I think he works some games as well.

Vitale...you can't knock his enthusiasm, but his schtick has worn fairly thin. And the fact that he will talk about Duke at least 10 times a game no matter who is playing is too much.

Comment

• CDC84
                              Super Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Comment

Working...
                              X