• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Martin Centre Mad Man
    Administrator
    • Apr 2009

Announced attendance at MSG

Expert recap and game analysis of the Gonzaga Bulldogs vs. St. John's Red Storm NCAAM game from November 28, 2014 on ESPN.

EMPTY SEATS: The announced attendance was 5,548 at Madison Square Garden.
    They're playing a Top 10 team in their home gym and can't put bodies in the seats. St. John's has an enrollment of over 20,000 students. Basketball is dead in NYC. We get better attendance for exhibition games in Spokane.
    “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective
  • jazzdelmar
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Duke and UCONN and Cuse fill the garden. If u were a St. John's student wd u root for that team?

Comment

• zagamatic
      Zag for Life
      • Aug 2009

The NIT certainly ain't what it used to be. But students are on break for the holiday. Regular fans of basketball may have written it off as the Zags are a gimme to win. And a lot of these thanksgiving week tournaments have low attendance with exceptions like Maui and the Bahamas. Who doesn't want an excuse to go there? Don't forget that ratings are a big part of the picture too. If ratings get consistently too low, then I think it's in trouble. Would they move it to a smaller arena to lessen the financial blow of empty seats over canceling it all together? Who knows?

Comment

• ZagLawGrad
        Zag for Life
        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
        Duke and UCONN and Cuse fill the garden. If u were a St. John's student wd u root for that team?
        "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

Comment

• UIZag
          Redshirt
          • Jan 2014

The NIT preseason tourney is dead it just doesn't know it yet. The best programs would rather go to Maui or the Bahamas. With the officiating at MSG this year its doubtful any big time programs will choose the NIT over another reasonable choice.

Comment

• ZagMan in Philly
            Zag for Life
            • Apr 2007

In sounded louder than 5000 or so in the garden.
            It would have been much better if they had two east coast teams in this tourney other than Georgia and Minnesota,
            Perhaps like UConn, Cuse, Villanova, or Georgetown.
            What are they thinking!!
            We are already planning for the Bahamas next year, and leave the winter coats at home LOL!

Comment

• jazzdelmar
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ZagMan in Philly View Post
              In sounded louder than 5000 or so in the garden.
              It would have been much better if they had two east coast teams in this tourney other than Georgia and Minnesota,
              Perhaps like UConn, Cuse, Villanova, or Georgetown.
              What are they thinking!!
              We are already planning for the Bahamas next year, and leave the winter coats at home LOL!

Glad u had fun, Phil. Home safe? Adding those teams wd be redundant to the Big East and reg season.....if u thought 5K was loud I have been there when SJ and Uconn drew 19K....talk about noise.....the days of Chris Mullin, et al....

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by zagamatic View Post
                The NIT certainly ain't what it used to be. But students are on break for the holiday. Regular fans of basketball may have written it off as the Zags are a gimme to win. And a lot of these thanksgiving week tournaments have low attendance with exceptions like Maui and the Bahamas. Who doesn't want an excuse to go there? Don't forget that ratings are a big part of the picture too. If ratings get consistently too low, then I think it's in trouble. Would they move it to a smaller arena to lessen the financial blow of empty seats over canceling it all together? Who knows?
                Do you know how many local alumni the Johnnies have in NY? Not to mention most students are local... I used to work there. I can attest to the fact that it is predominantly a COMMUTER school. No... there isn't an excuse that the whole place wasn't filled with SJU fans...not to mention, from what I heard, the tix were dirt cheap.
                "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
                  Do you know how many local alumni the Johnnies have in NY? Not to mention most students are local... I used to work there. I can attest to the fact that it is predominantly a COMMUTER school. No... there isn't an excuse that the whole place wasn't filled with SJU fans...not to mention, from what I heard, the tix were dirt cheap.
                  I don't think alums connect with that team they way they did w the Mully, Berry era and even the Artest, Barkley group.....

Comment

Working...
                  X