PDA

View Full Version : Thank you Byron Wesley

Vanzagger
11-28-2014, 06:16 PM
Mr Wesley.

CDC84
11-28-2014, 06:27 PM
In my view, he's GU's "alpha dog" in crunch time. You need a guy who can create a shot on his own going towards the hoop. Wesley has that capability.

Pangos threw up a bad 3 point shot near the end of the game. They should've been looking for Wesley and let the big guys crash the glass.

katman50
11-28-2014, 06:30 PM
Totally agree. He was the player of the game. Doesn't hesitate to drive, create his own shot, and maybe draw a foul in the process.

DixieZag
In my view, he's GU's "alpha dog" in crunch time. You need a guy who can create a shot on his own going towards the hoop. Wesley has that capability.

Pangos threw up a bad 3 point shot near the end of the game. They should've been looking for Wesley and let the big guys crash the glass.

We lose that game without his baskets settling us down.

Also, hat tip to Gary for preventing a big time run earlier by ringing off 8 points right as they got to 5.

Team showed a lot of character - winning when shots not falling and against very athletic teams.... who kick them.

Birddog

Maybe ill advised, but IMO not a bad shot. If he nails it, game over.

raise the zag
11-28-2014, 06:31 PM
Pangos attempting that bad 3pt shot at end of game was old GU...not this year's version. not worried about him, but

Wesley is CLEARLY and confidently our go-to aka 'alpha dog' in crunch time. Hope Coach Few takes notice.

While he evidently wasn't the 'first' option in plays drawn up, he's been the guy down the stretch in last 2 road games, including SMU when they mounted a comeback.

I hope we make the corrections on who needs the ball when we need a score and/or foul.

HillBillyZag
11-28-2014, 06:32 PM
Wes was our "cool hand Luke " tonight in the Garden.

DixieZag
11-28-2014, 06:49 PM
Pangos attempting that bad 3pt shot at end of game was old GU...not this year's version.

I'm not arguing, but what about that made it a bad three?

Seemed open, top of the key, that's the shot that's been the dagger in many games in the past, that's why he's Kevin F'n Pangos! Because Kevin makes those shots.

john montana
11-28-2014, 06:51 PM
Big shots down the stretch...loved the way he attacked.

CDC84
11-28-2014, 06:53 PM
One thing that I hate about playing at that arena is the NBA 3 point line. It seemed as if all of GU's guys were shooting too far beyond the college 3 point line....including Kevin. I think that extra 3 point line can sometimes confuse shooters.

Let me rephrase it....that was an ill-advised shot from Kevin. Gonzaga could've gotten better.

raise the zag
11-28-2014, 06:55 PM
I'm not arguing, but what about that made it a bad three?

Seemed open, top of the key, that's the shot that's been the dagger in many games in the past, that's why he's Kevin F'n Pangos! Because Kevin makes those shots.

You are right. Pangos attempting a 3 is never a bad shot. Impossible, actually. A proven, career 40% 3pt shooter can't shoot enough, yet more a timing thing, being he hesitated. Not his shot on his terms. off the bounce, catch 'n shoot, even fade away in motion...point is, he waited with ball in his hands, then launched it. Just not the right timing -- for him. Unlike him.

Wesley knifing through the defense for 3 straight possessions needed to be respected. Pangos knows and not complaining, just feel we should put the ball in hands of a bonafide creator. Wesley can be unstoppable with the ball at top of key. Just hoping we build off that in crunch time and even a set play or two...

jazzdelmar
11-28-2014, 06:56 PM
Ok, but the Bonus was pog. 14-10.

GonzaGAW
11-28-2014, 06:57 PM
Wes was our "cool hand Luke " tonight in the Garden.

and what we have here is failure to snap under pressure

zagfan24
One thing that I hate about playing at that arena is the NBA 3 point line. It seemed as if all of GU's guys were shooting too far beyond the college 3 point line....including Kevin. I think that extra 3 point line can sometimes confuse shooters.

Let me rephrase it....that was an ill-advised shot from Kevin. Gonzaga could've gotten better.

A good friend of mine actually analyzed 3 pt attempt distance for his senior thesis, comparing college and NBA courts for NCAA games. There was a statistically significant difference between the two courts (with NBA courts having a much higher mean distance on average). It would be something good to drill players on before playing in these settings.

DixieZag
You are right. Pangos attempting a 3 is never a bad shot. Impossible, actually. A proven, career 40% 3pt shooter can't shoot enough, yet more a timing thing, being he hesitated. Not his shot on his terms. off the bounce, catch 'n shoot, even fade away in motion...point is, he waited with ball in his hands, then launched it. Just not the right timing -- for him. Unlike him.

Wesley knifing through the defense for 3 straight possessions needed to be respected. Pangos knows and not complaining, just feel we should put the ball in hands of a bonafide creator. Wesley can be unstoppable with the ball at top of key. Just hoping we build off that in crunch time and even a set play or two...

I see that. Makes sense, thanks to you and CDC

Worthington
11-28-2014, 07:01 PM
He was huge down the stretch. Curious to why he isn't attacking like that the whole game though...

Marcus
11-28-2014, 07:35 PM
Maybe ill advised, but IMO not a bad shot. If he nails it, game over.

I agree, not a bad shot. Not a lot of movement or cutting by the rest of the team at that point and shot clock was winding down.

jim77
11-28-2014, 07:45 PM
Smart guy...CLUTCH guy......we have few of them.

Marcus
11-28-2014, 07:46 PM
As for Wesley, he really is the what the Zags have been missing. Calm in crunch time a more importantly, not afraid to take the shots at the end. He not only is willing to shoot but he will drive it into the teeth of the defence for a high percentage shot and is strong enough to absorb contact. That's exactly what this team needs. In the past there was a lot of reluctance to shoot and usually ended up with Pangos shooting from the outside. Now with Byron they can get into the lane and really put pressure on the defence. That will pay off when they need a 3 at the end of a game from a drive and kick out because teams will have to respect his driving ability.